- Text Size +

Part III

Kevin didn't even look at Kristin, sitting shocked beside him. It would slow him down. Brian was in New York and Howie was off playing Trump Jr, but there was another Boy in LA.

In the time it took for Brian to privately look into flight options - just in case - Kevin punched in a number and inbetween prayers that his idea would work, stared at a nearby framed photo of the five of them grinning like the fools they'd been. They'd been young, ridiculously poor in comparison to now, and nobodies in the industry. Yet somehow, they'd been happier.

If it killed him, he was going to bring back that joyful delight they'd all felt then. And if he had to scare the living daylights out of all four to do it, so be it.

Because that's what big brothers did.


Some people stalled to get attention. Others, to be annoying. But for Nick, stalling was an art form.

Contrary to tonight's display, he usually wasn't an idiot. He knew that part of his success lay in his good fortune to have golden blonde locks and eyes the color of the ocean. Most men would sound quite gay describing themselves that way, but then, most men weren't Nick, who'd had women composing symphonies, among other literary works, with titles honoring his attributes since he'd been 13.

Thankfully, the gruff male officer eventually disappeared, and he'd found himself in the custody of a slightly older woman. And so, he'd used every hair on his head, and every twinkle of his eyes, to stall. Currently he was hunkered down in the station's bathroom, handcuff free, taking as long as he could while she waited outside, charmed by the little boy she knew beyond a doubt was innocent.

Child's play.


"Okay," he said after a pause, "I'm here now."

"Then you know what - "

"Kevin," he drawled out, "like you said, this is my territory. Your 'little shit' and I need to have a discussion. Whoever survives will give you a call."

Pointedly hanging up the phone, he swaggered up the steps and managed not to shudder as he did so. It had only been by the grace of God that this hadn't been him a few years back.

He hid his anxiety and his anger behind a mask of indifference and opened the door. Previously, of course, that had been part of his problem - losing himself in the stage persona, using a mask so often to hide himself that his ability to react disappeared into the bottle.

A.J. took a deep breath. He'd meant what he said in all those interviews. If sharing his story helped just one person…

But he never thought that 'one person' would be Nick.

Dammit.

He entered slowly, feeling the astonished stares. It was a little late in the day, but the place was still bustling. No, it's not me in trouble, he randomly thought to his sudden audience. It's the Cute One. And yes, it's really fucking weird to me too, so if you don't mind…

"Hi," he said to the receptionist, managing a smile and pulling out his ID. "Alexander McLean for Nickolas Carter."


"Okay, Carter. Enough stalling."

Nick flinched, drying his hands. So much for that. Squaring his shoulders, he headed out.

And took an involuntary step back when she abruptly pushed herself against him, forcing him back into the men's bathroom and closing the door behind them.

"Um," he asked her, confused. "What's going on?"

"You think you're so smart," she sighed. "Listen, kid, I have a daughter. So does Lt. Dave Bunetta - the guy who arrested you. They both worship you, just like you thought I did. It's been a slow night, so we thought we'd try to save our kids' hearts from breaking. Because you're on that track, kid, you just haven't figured it out yet."

She seized him by the collar of his t-shirt and threw him back against a nearby urinal, glaring with sudden menace. He landed hard, still-adled mind slow to respond.

But he wasn't too far gone to note her glare of death rivaled Kevin's.

She reached over, yanking him back up and shoving him in front of her. Her breath was hot on his face as she leaned in over his shoulder, nodding toward the door.

"Don't screw this up, Carter."


A.J. rose as a more-than-a-little confused Nick entered, holding a plastic bag with his wallet and keys.

"Sign here," the perky receptionist told him. "Oh, and here."

He tore his eyes off Nick long enough to do so. One was official city paper. The other had a pink sticky note attached with a specific spelling of "Deniece". Amused in spite of himself, A.J. obliged both.

"A.J.!" Nick exclaimed, finally processing his presence. His voice echoed through the police station. "What are you doing here?"

"Picking up dinner," he muttered meaningfully. But he forced another grin for the lady in front of him. "Need anything else?"

She shook her head, handing him a white enveloped closed with Huntington Beach's seal. "Just give that to Mr. Carter. He - or his attorney - needs to report here in 45 days."

The guard walked Nick to him. Taking the envelope in one hand and Nick's right arm in the other, he nodded to the room and headed for the doors, pulling Nick with him.


"This is Howie."

"Hey, 'D."

Surprised, Howie blinked himself awake. Rising, he quietly left the room before he woke his brother, sleeping in the bed next to his.

"Brian? Is everything all right?"

Brian ran his hand through his hair. Sleep was lost to him now, he could only hope that he'd be able to catch some before the interview. Leigh and Baylee were still out, of course, but he'd sat himself down in the living room of the suite. Hopefully, he wouldn't disturb them.

"It's Nick," he began.

Howie's reply was succinct. They'd had this conversation before. "What's he done now?"


The sun had been setting when Nick had been pulled in. Now it was gone. He threw his head back, enjoying the gentle night breeze, the smell of the ocean…

And through it all, A.J. noted wryly, he had yet to stop talking.

"… man, I can't thank you enough," Nick was rambling, several times faster than normal. "I don't know what's wrong with Kevin and Brian. They just left me, some friends they are. I love you, man. I thought I was gonna die in there! She almost killed me in the bathroom! I should sue! It's dark outside. When did that happen? What time is it? Why are we spinning? New dance step? Dude, those are so gay. Hey, I think she messed up my shirt! I spent $40 on it! Where's your car? I think Kevin hates me. I wonder if the cops' daughters are cute. I'm kinda hungry. I haven't sneezed in a while, maybe jail cures that? I think I need to take another pill. But it's in my car, guess I'm fucked. Hey, can we call Aaron? Bastards wouldn't let me get my cell out of the car. Dude, Tommy Lee will think this is awesome. Is that bad?"

He sneezed, managing to catch it with the envelope A.J. had eventually handed him. Even that was newly appreciated. No more handcuffs and makeshift kleenex! He opened his mouth, intending to share his joy -

- but A.J.'s fist interrupted him.


A.J. watched with mild interest as Nick suddenly, finally stopped talking and collapsed like a puppet with cut strings to slam down on the stairs. He had planned to hit him ever since a frantic and guilty Kevin called, but not that hard. Apparently he was a bit angry.

"Fuck!" Nick swore, astonished. "Fuck, A.J.! What the fuck was that for?"

He shrugged, reaching out a hand to help him up. But Nick pulled away. Puzzled, A.J. looked down. His hand was still in a fist. Oops.

"I'm fucking twice as big as you!" Nick announced, stunned. "Shit!"

A.J. rolled his eyes. "Not where it counts, Carter." He knew that for certain, too. But some things were better left private.

Since Nick didn't seem inclined to get up, they remained there for several minutes - A.J. with his hands on his hips, towering over Nick and enjoying the rare feeling, while Nick still sprawled on the steps of the police station.

"You wanna do this here?" he inquired, tone bored. "You know, they could probably arrest us for loitering."

Somehow, miraculously, Nick found the strength to rise on his own. His jawline was still red, but A.J. didn't think he'd hit him hard enough to bruise.

"This way," the older Boy told him, guiding him toward the car. Exasperated, Nick, stumbled and followed him. Most people would probably hesitate to get into a car alone with a guy who'd just decked him, but in the end, both men knew how deeply they cared for each other.

And Nick would eventually allow himself to acknowledge Kevin and Brian had cared enough for him to teach him a lesson. A.J. had learned that. Now it was Nick’s turn. And hopefully, A.J. thought, he'll figure that out faster than me. Of course, he is Nick.

Neither were aware of another man standing quietly out of the way, hidden in the shadows. Kevin watched intently, even smiling when A.J. unceremoniously shoved Nick into the passenger seat despite his protests.

Relieved he'd made the right choice, the eldest Boy turned and headed home to his wife, just as, five months and six days later, Backstreet Boys' Never Gone headed home with millions of fans around the world.

THE END