- Text Size +
A/N: New story one-shot. Review and visit my site -).

~One~
Nick Carter played with his ring on his finger. It was one of those cheap mood rings you can buy from a vending machine type thing that sells prizes at Pizza Hut or something. He sighed inwardly and looked up outside the window. Why didn’t he go do something outside or go to a club or something? Oh yeah, he wasn’t ten anymore. He was a grown man that had just moved in a new town, with lots of money, tripping girls and no friends. He groaned as he shifted his weight on the bed. He positioned his body to stare out to the ocean. He thought this be beautiful, calming. It wasn’t anything. It was just boring. What was so beautiful about the ocean? Maybe the way it stretched for miles with a never-ending blueness. Well fine, it was only boring when he wasn’t in the correct mood whatever that was.

Love. What was love? Sure Musiq Soulchild had made some song about it but then he didn’t listen to Musiq Soulchild. The man whined too much! But then he was a singer too so that would mean he whined a lot too. He sat up and shook his head. He was starting to talk about himself now. This boredom was decided that it be the slow demise of him.

Love. Love was caring. Love was when you cared. Love was passion. Love was passion.. Love was hard, harsh. Love was what you wanted. Love was cruel. Love could probably one of the most contradictory human feelings ever. It could make you hate, it could make you jealous, and it could kill. But was that love? Or is that lust? He didn’t understand.

“Man,” he mumbled to himself, “All this thinking can make a person confused.” Nick stood to his feet and walked from his bedroom barefoot. He needed a girlfriend…or did he? He abruptly plopped down in the sand in front of the ocean with his feet inches from the cool water. Now maybe he could think here. Or maybe he could or just should go get a damned dictionary. He stood sighing and hauled himself back into the house and went into his mini library. He didn’t know why he had all these stupid books. He never read any. Except maybe the dictionary. He smiled at that for no particular reason. He pulled a thick Webster’s dictionary off the shelf and flipped through to the L’s. Loupe, lour, louse, lousy, lout, louver, lovable,. ‘Ah,” he thought pointing toward the seeked word, ‘Love.’

“This was a long one,” he mumbled and he began to scan sections of the several definitions. 1.) A strong tender affection; deep devotion, as to one’s child parent 2.)The affection felt by two persons who are sexually attracted to one another 3.) A person who is the object of another’s affection 4.) A very great-blah. He wasn’t gonna look at all of these. He was bored out of his mind! He could just focus on definition one. It was probably the closest definition from them on. This was staring to hurt. He sighed and scratched his head. It was late and he tossed the dictionary on the table. Slipping his feet in some white flip flops matching his jacket he walked form the door and slipped into his white Escalade. He slipped in a JOURNEY cd and let it play while he pulled from his driveway and drove down the road. He softly sung along while thinking about his newfound whatever you call it.

He slammed on his brakes as a car sped in front of him, “Asswhit!” he yelled giggling toward his new word. Now that was hate. The show of anger. (Or so he was trying to express) So love was the show of affection. But what about one night stands? Well that wouldn’t really count since you’d probably barely know the person before you did ‘em. He pushed down and drove the empty roads pondering love and listening to JOURNEY. There was only one type of love though. All love was rightfully the same. Affection toward another. Strong affection at that. Wasn’t it? If it was sexual love it was affection. A father and a son, a mother and a daughter was still affection. Maybe the protective type but it was still affection. So what was the difference? He pulled into the McDonalds drive thru. The things he pondered when his “demise was nearing.” If any one of his friends knew what he thought while deathly bored back at home…he’d never live any of it down. He ordered a small cheeseburger and a drink and pulled toward the window to pay.

“By any chance miss,” She looked tired, “How would you define love?” He gave her a flashing smile and she smiled back with a sleepish smile. He felt sexy as he handed her a twenty.

“Uh, the liking or, what’s that word?”

“What word.”

“That one word.” She replied back and his bodily search engine was as empty as before. Affection?

“Affection?”

“Yeah. Affection toward something.” She said giving him the bag and change.

“Do you think there’d be any difference in love?”

“Huh?”

How to reword this… ah….

“Like is there any difference between a one night stand, sex love, or a mom and a child.”

“One night stands don’t have love, you just do somebody and then you’re done before you even know their age I guess. I don’t see any difference. Sorry sir but I’ve got other customers.” She said with sleepy eyes. He nodded.

“Thanks anyways.”

“You’re welcome Backstreet Boy.” He laughed as she smiled.

“Yeah whatever.” He said driving off. He took the cheeseburger out and took a bite.

There was no difference in the first place. And that was the opinion of another person.

“Like I thought earlier,” he mumbled to himself, “My boredom is gonna be my demise.”

THE END


Story by Bluefire Productions /Copyrighted 2005©/All Rights Reserved
Dictionary References by Webster’s Student Dictionary/ Copyrighted 1999©/ All Rights Reserved