- Text Size +
Chapter Three

“Day three...hardly anything done,” AJ sighed as he entered the recording studio to find all of the others already there, “Think we’ll get anything more done today? Since yesterday was about useless.”

He got shrugs in response. It was hard to say. The recording process generally took three or four months, having on average two days off a week. Those two days were generally filled with meetings and other obligations though. They were lucky if they had a full one day where there was nothing. They couldn’t complain too much though with the large break they’d just come back from.

“So I guess we should get started and find out.” Kevin stated, deciding that the sooner they got right down to business, the sooner they could leave for the day. There were a couple of groans and Nick yawned, “If you’re all actually up for it.” he added, seeing how unenthusiastic everybody was.

“No, it’s okay,” AJ spoke for everybody, “I’m just looking forward to being back out on stage actually performing. Soon as recording is done, we can start planning for that. So let’s get to work.”


Everybody agreed, including Nick, who still looked under the weather. In fact, he looked worse than he had that first night, but kept insisting that he felt fine. Nobody believed him, but Nick was trying his hardest to convince even himself that he was okay, so nobody argued, granting the poor boy his wishes. After all, Nick was usually the one who whined whenever he had the smallest ill feeling or ache or hurt. This time though, he hadn’t said a word. They all believed that it was because of their already long break, and he didn’t want to be the cause for setting things back even further.

After agreeing on where to pick up on things, the five men took position behind their microphones, Brian singing the opening to one of the songs. The chorus came and then Nick’s solo. His voice came a few seconds too late, messing up the beat and sound completely. The music was cut off, as they were told to start over. This time when Nick’s solo came, his voice was on time, but out of tune, his sound coming out scratchy and his voice squeaking and cracking every now and then. The music stopped and stayed off this time.

“Nick, what’s going on?” Kevin asked, “Are you sure you’re okay?”

Nick nodded, his head hurting intensely. He was growing dizzy, but had to stick it out. He absolutely could not let on to anybody that he wanted to just rest for the day. Complaining was out of the question.

“You sound like absolute shit.” AJ commented, “You sound like you swallowed a rusty whistle.”

Nick glared at AJ, rubbing his throat. It hurt so badly, feeling as if he’d swallowed a lump of hot coals. He assumed he probably didn’t sound normal, but he couldn’t help that he’d gotten sick at the most inconvenient of times. It wasn’t like he’d prayed to God to make him sick to get out of work. He wanted to work, glad to be back. He hated that this had happened to him. It just couldn’t have come two weeks before, when he was officially still free of all obligations and well, waiting for his work to start again.

“Maybe I just need a drink.” Nick croaked, walking over to the side of the room to fetch his water bottle. All eyes were on him with concern as he bent down, but ended up falling to his knees. He put his hand down, kneeling his head bowed to catch his breath, but the room was spinning. Before he knew it, all of his friends were at his side.

“Nick, what’s wrong?” a voice asked...he recognized it, but couldn’t place it with any particular face.

Nick slowly turned himself over so he was sitting, his legs outstretched as he leaned against the wall. He leaned his head back, pressing his fingers to his forehead hoping that the pain would go away. He didn’t speak though. He couldn’t. His concentration was on how lousy he felt. He closed his eyes, feeling himself start to lose consciousness.

“We need to get him to a hospital,” Kevin commented, “Somebody help me get him in to a car?”


Brian offered, he and Kevin each taking one side of Nick, Nick’s arms draped over their shoulders as they guided him, their arms around his waist. Howie stood behind in case Nick started to fall while AJ walked quickly ahead to open the car door and help Nick, who’d fallen limp inside. The only thing on any of their minds, as Kevin took position in the drivers seat, was that they had to find the nearest hospital as quickly as possible, as Nick’s situation did not look good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian, AJ, Kevin and Howie sat in the small, confined waiting room at the hospital. They’d been there since Nick had passed out, four hours ago. There was still no word on their friend, and each man was worried that there was something terribly wrong. It scared them that they had ignored the signs for so long, looking past Nick’s falsely trying to convince them that he was fine. Each day, he had been growing weaker and it had looked as if he’d dropped a few pounds, for he rarely ate a thing. And instead of going out every night with the rest of them, he retreated to his hotel room, going to sleep at the early hour of nine-thirty. They’d all ignored it though, and now they were here, waiting for word on him.

“I hope he’s alright,” Howie stated miserably, “He just...”

Howie couldn’t complete his sentence, and the others didn’t make any attempt at speaking either. The hospital was the last place any of them wanted to be at that point, due to the last circumstances any of them were there. None of them spoke of the subject though, deciding that for their ‘brothers’ sake, it was time to try to let it go. Especially since his near blow up just days before.

“This is insane...” Kevin mumbled, “He’s always been so healthy and...upbeat. This just happened...out of nowhere, so quickly.” he wearily ran his fingers through his dark hair, the stress of this new ordeal causing him a lot of turmoil in his stomach, “I should have known something was up when he wasn’t joking around. When have we ever known that boy to be quiet and reserved?”

Ht got a couple of small chuckles as a reply. His point was good. Nick was always goofing off in one way or another. This was the same man whom they hadn’t allowed to speak during certain interviews to make sure nothing stupid was said. Nick’s energy and spunk was always going, making any situation interesting. So indeed, the fact that Nick had actually been acting like a mature human should have been sending out warning signals.

“We’ll find out soon enough,” Brian assured everyone, “He probably just ate something bad, knowing him, and has got a nasty case of food poisoning,” Brian shook his head and laughed, rolling his eyes, “Same kid who ate a bunch of pop rocks and chugged down two liters of Pepsi to prove a point to his brother that nothing would happen, and ended up in the ER getting his stomach pumped.”

This caused a round of laughter, breaking up the grimness and worry of the situation some. Nick did always find a way of getting himself in to the stickiest of situations, weather it was under bad terms or just having fun.

Just as predicted, a doctor soon appeared out of nowhere. He was middle-aged with thinning black hair and a few fine lines of aging under his eyes and near the corners of his mouth. He looked around for a moment at the few others in the room before turning to the Boys.

“Are you the family of Nickolas Carter?” he asked

“Yes,” Kevin stood, taking charge at once, “How is he? What happened?”

“He’s alright. It’s nothing life threatening. He just wore himself down a little too much is all,” the doctor stopped before going on, “Nick has a rather nasty case of mononucleosis...most commonly known as mono...”

“The kissing disease?!” AJ cracked interrupting the man, “HA...who’s he been sucking face with?”

Kevin shot AJ a glare, which caused his grin to fade. AJ stuffed his hand in his pockets, his shoulders slumping slightly. Nobody was smiling and he wondered if there had been something that he’d missed.

‘Go on, doctor,” Kevin stated after the awkward silence had somewhat passed.

“It’s caused by the Epstein-Barr Virus...has Nick complained of anything lately?” the doctor asked, “Any aches or pains?”

“Yes, but we thought...we just thought it was the flu or he was just worn down from going back to work.” Brian mumbled just coherently enough for everybody to understand, “He had headache, sore throat, he was always tired and complaining that his muscles and joints hurt...he quit eating...” his voice trailed off.

“Those are the most common effects. His temperature was around one-hundred and two and his spleen was also enlarged. I’d like to keep him here overnight and go over some things with all of you, beings Nick is pretty out of it right now. It might do some good to have somebody else in there...kind of a second ear.”

Each of the Boys nodded, wondering how they could have overlooked this. People had died from mono before, but likely because they’d already had a weakened immune system from other illnesses. Still though, it was the fact of the matter. They’d ignored it, shrugging it off as if it were nothing serious. Each one felt a certain amount of guilt, hoping that nothing bad happened to Nick.

“Yes, of course,” Brian stated, then smiled weakly, “Nick’s never been one to listen to anything important...might be a good idea for all of us to hear.”


The doctor nodded, telling the Boys to follow him. The four stood, each trailing behind the doctor, scattered around the hall as they walked. They were led to the elevator, finding themselves moving up two floors before being led in to a small, private room just for Nick.

Their friend was awake, although it was obvious that he felt ill and wasn’t completely with things. When they all shuffled in to the room, he slowly looked their way, his eyes slightly droopy. Despite how he likely felt and looked though, he offered a small, weak smile for all of them.

“Sorry bout this.” he croaked out.

“Don’t worry bout it, little bro,” Brian stated, “Just concentrate on getting better...”

‘Which is why we’re here...” the doctor interrupted, “You can leave in the morning, but there are some things I need to warn you about.” Nick nodded, waiting to hear it, “First of all, it is important that you get a lot of fluid and rest over the next few weeks. You won’t feel hungry, but try to eat like you normally would. You’ll need it to get your strength back up. I’d advise you take ibuprofen based pills for your fever and aching muscles. Aspirin can lead to Reye Sydrome, which will cause liver failure and death, so avoid that,” he paused for a second to let the information he’d given so far sink in so that they’d remember it, “Avoid sports and anything physical...dancing will be out for at least a month. Due to your enlarged spleen, it can rupture easily. It can bleed, you’ll get a fever and abdominal pain. Emergency surgery will be required. As I said, until I give it the okay, just take it easy.”

Nick stared at the doctor blankly, but not because he was confused. He was growing really tired and just wanted to sleep. He nodded after a second, hoping that he could remember all of this. Most of it sounded important. His eyes started to grow even heavier as he felt himself slowly giving in to a deep sleep he knew he needed. Hadn’t the doctor said he needed plenty of rest anyways...

“I think it’s best if you leave Nick be for the night. You can come back in the morning to take him home.” the doctor stated.

Each of the men nodded, wanting to stay with their friend, but also wanting what was best for him. So they agreed, not used to seeing Nick so under the weather. His skin was flushed, and AJ even caught a glimpse of a rash peeking out from under the arm of his hospital gown. It was safe to say that for at least a couple of weeks, things would be put off again.

“Take care, buddy,” Howie said, “We’ll see you tomorrow.”

Nick was already asleep though, oblivious to all that was going on around him. Watching their friend, their hearts filled with worry and sympathy, they slowly left the room, one by one to retreat back to the waiting room. This was surely going to be a long night for all of them