- Text Size +
The next day, Wendy no longer followed doctor’s orders. Her throat was no longer sore, so she decided she could talk as much as she wanted. She was looking at the guys, Suzie and Leighanne who were sitting in her room, which now was on the 3rd floor, room 358. She no longer needed to be on the IC-unit. Dr. Greene was still treating her though, and nurse Debra still came in once and a while, to check on her. Well, that was what it looked like, she actually came to see Kevin, who didn’t even seem to notice her.

Wendy spent a lot of her time thinking. She wanted to know as much as she possibly could about herself, her ‘friends’ and her life. She wanted to know what had happened to her, but a part of her told her that it was awful and she could better not know just yet, so for now she only asked somewhat ‘safer’ questions. She already heard about how Suzie and she got friends, which was a bit difficult, because Suzie was crying while telling her this. It was hard for her, because her best friend didn’t remember any of it and it somewhat felt as if she had actually lost her best friend, even though she was alive.
But she also managed to tell some funny stories about the both of them being stuck in an elevator for almost two hours and the time they went shopping and ended up buying so much that they had to eat peanutbutter-sandwiches for a week, because they were broke. Brian was embarrassed when Suzie told the story about the time that Wendy and Suzie thought there was a burglar in Suzie’s house and it turned out to be Brian who wanted to surprise the both of them. They managed to surprise him though, hitting him on the head with a pretty hard basketball from Suzie’s older brother, which knocked him out cold. Leighanne was laughing at her husband. “You never told me this story.. It’s so funny!” “I guess that is why I never told you then..” Brian said as he made a face, but he couldn’t help smiling as well. Wendy enjoyed their company, even though it hurt that she didn’t remember any of this, it seemed to her that she had great friends.

“You guys, I’m confused. I mean, look at you. If you hadn’t told me, I never would have guessed that you are the best of friends. A granddad, a baby, a clown, a freak and Howie.”
“Hey, why is he the only one who you refer to by his name?!” A.J. said.
“Because he’s the only one that seems to be normal!” Wendy replied with a smile.
“Well sunshine, seems like we haven’t told you the juicy stories then.” A.J. looked at Howie with a smirk on his face. “Let’s just say that he’s a.. a... Damn D., why do you have to be so normal?!”
Howie shrugged.
“He’s a player!! That’s right. He seems to be normal, but if he hits on you, you’d better run! And I am NOT a baby..” Nick snickered and ducked as Howie tried to hit him on the head.
“Yes you are, little Nicky. And I’m a clown, but I actually like being one, so I think it’s a compliment.” Brian said with a smile on his face. He was just so happy that Wendy’s body was recovering so remarkably well and he was sure that her memory would come back too.

“But come on you guys, how did you end up being so close? And Brian, how did we meet?”
“Wow, one story at a time. Let’s begin with our story first.”
“Allright, Rok. But please make it a short story, or else she’ll fal asleep after five minutes, like last time. Leighanne, I sure hope you do all the storytelling at home, or else Baylee will never know the whole “Cinderella”- fairytale.” Leighanne giggled and Brian stuck out his tongue at Kevin, then turned to Wendy.

”Once upon a time..” Brian began..
“In a land far far away..” Nick completed his sentence.
“Owh Nick, just shut it.” Brian laughed. “Once upon a time..”
“Somebody was suddenly in desperate need for a coffee break..” A.J. said as he got up and ran for the door, leaving the others laughing their heads off.

~~~~

“I guess we were about eight years old at the time. It was the first day of school, and my family had just moved, so I had to go to a new school, which I wasn’t too happy about at first. My first class was History, and Mrs. Ellis made me introduce myself in front of everyone. Then she told me to sit next to you, because a friend of yours, dear Suzie over here, wasn’t there, because she had the flu. I could tell you weren’t that happy about me sitting next to you, and I wasn’t thrilled either. After five minutes, someone was already whispering: “Brian and Wendy sitting in a tree...”. If looks could kill, I would’ve died instantly, even though I had nothing to do with it. But as the year passed, we found out that we made a pretty good team when it came to pulling pranks on everyone. And so we became friends. In the following years, our bond grew stronger. When your parents died in that carcrash like I told you yesterday, you lived at my house for a couple of years. My parents actually wanted to adopt you, but weren’t allowed to for some stupid reason. But still, you are like a sister to me and my best female friend as well. Like you see, we kinda grew up together, and we’ve known each other for more than 15 years.” Brian sighed. Even though he wanted to tell her everything, it was hard for him to see that she actually remembered none of this. Leighanne held his hand and was softly rubbing his back. She could tell this was hard for him, and for Wendy as well.

Wendy didn’t speak for a couple of minutes, trying to remember, but nothing about his story rang a bell. And she saw the hurt in his eyes, she knew he felt like he had lost his best friend, and there was nothing she could do about it. She felt like she had lost her life, and in some way, she had. She felt the tears burning behind her eyes, but didn’t want to cry, she didn’t want everyone to worry or feel sorry for her. But looking at Brian, who was also about to cry, she could no longer hold them back.

Brian had already seen this coming, got up out of his chair and sat down on her bed. He looked at everyone, they got the hint and silently left the room. Brian looked at Wendy and seeing her loneliness broke his heart. He softly pulled her into a hug, while they were both crying their hearts out. The best of friends had lost each other, their friendship, and there was nothing they could do about it.