- Text Size +
Two weeks had passed since the night she had first remembered something from her past. She didn’t quite remember everything, but most of the childhood memories and her teenage years had returned. She still didn’t remember how she ended up in the hospital and for the first time, she began to ask her friends questions. Dr. Greene had again made it perfectly clear that they shouldn’t tell her anything yet. Even though she was recovering very quickly, he still thought it was too soon to tell her. He told them that they should tell her only if she started remembering anything that had to do with that night, or that they could tell her when she was ready to be treated at the rehabilitation center, where she would learn how to walk again. She had to learn all over again, because her muscles had lost a lot of strength from being in a coma and in bed in the period afterwards.

“Howie, what exactly happened to me that night? I just know you know more than you’re telling me. Please help me remember this. I’ve seen the scars, I know I’ve been in a coma for a long period of time and ofcourse the memory loss. Please tell me what happened.”
“I’m sorry baby, but I don’t know. None of us know what happened to you during that night. Really, I’m telling you the truth.” No, I’m not, he quietly thought. I wish I could tell her, because I hate lying to her, but I’ll just follow doctor’s orders for now. I don’t think I can keep this up for very long though and neither can the others. They had discussed all of this for hours and decided to not tell her anything as long as Dr. Greene told them, because they didn’t want her to end up in shock or anything, but hiding it from her became harder and harder. Especially Brian had a hard time not telling her, mostly because he was her best friend and she began to see right through him like she had always done, and because he had answered her phone call that night.

The night she had called him and asked him what the sentences stood for, was one of the happiest nights of his life. At first he wanted to come see her immediately, but she talked him out of that. He showed up at 6.30 am though, waking her up by singing “As long as you love me” to her, which was a nice surprise. He hugged her for about 10 minutes, ‘til she told him to let go so she could breathe again. She was a bit scared though, thinking that everyone would expect too much from her, but they didn’t at all. They just kept on telling her stories about her and their friendship and sometimes she would immediately remember, when other times she called one of them in the middle of the night to ask them about something she had remembered.

Phoebe didn’t come around as much as she used to, partly because of work, but also because Wendy still didn’t remember anything about her and their friendship. All she could ever talk about was the boys or Suzie and it made her jealous, which then made her feel bad about herself. Wendy wasn’t doing all of this on purpose. Suzie on the other end, was obviously absolutely thrilled about the situation and the progress her best friend had already made. She had to fly home again though because of her visa, but was coming back the next month.

Kevin found himself thinking about Wendy a lot lately, which startled him. He didn’t want to think of her in any other way than as a friend, a close friend. He felt she somehow managed to open up his heart again, but he didn’t like that, not at all. He tried to put up a shield while being around her, but somehow she always managed to break it down. And again, he didn’t like any of this.

Debra overheard Dr. Greene and Dr. Lockheart talking earlier that day. They were discussing Wendy’s case and were talking about her being transfered to the “Hope Rehabilitation Center” very soon, because her memory was almost intact again, and she no longer needed treatment from them. Debra didn’t like this message at all. Kevin still hadn’t asked her out, which made her furious, because she had seen him looking at her a dozen times. When Wendy was released from the hospital, she would never see him again and then she could no longer convince him that they were meant to be. She didn’t ask him out though, because strangely she was kind of old-fashioned about that. He should ask her out, and she’d do anything in her power to make sure he would. “Even if this means that Wendy hasto stay just a little bit longer,” she thought with an evil smile on her face.

~~~~

It was so dark that she could hardly see. She felt someone lifting her head and smashing it back down again on something really hard. She heard an evil laughter and saw something shiny, but her vision was so blurry that she couldn’t really tell what was happening to her. Then out of nowhere, she felt an excruciating pain between her ribs. She tried to scream but something prevented her from doing so and seconds later she experienced the same pain in her stomach, which was followed by a sinister laugh from the person who was doing this to her..

Wendy woke up crying, not understanding this terrible nightmare. Her whole body was trembling and she was cold and perspiring at the same time. With her hands shaking uncontrollably, she reached for the phone and dialed the one number she could remember at this point. She was so scared, and she didn’t even understand why exactly.

“Hello?”
Wendy couldn’t even speak because she was crying hysterically.
“Wendy? Is that you?”
She nodded, not even realizing that he couldn’t see that.
“Wendy, what’s wrong? Talk to me girl..”
“I...I..” was all she managed to say.
“I’m coming over right now, I’ll be there in 10 minutes alright?” he replied, now worried sick.

When he opened the door to her room and looked at her, she was still crying, all curled up with the sheets up to her neck, while rocking her body, probably trying to calm herself down. He hurried over to her, sat down on her bed and tried to hold her. “Shh... I’m here, girl.. I’m right here..” She held onto him as if he was the last thing that could keep her from falling into darkness. “Shh.. everything’s okay now, nothing can happen to you, I promise..I promise..” He already had an idea what had happened, but didn’t want to ask her, right now she just needed him to be there.

“Do you want to tell me what got you so upset?” he asked her an hour after he first came in as she had finally calmed down. She looked up to him and softly shook her head. “I’m sorry, Kevin, but I’m exhausted and just thinking of it makes me tremble again.. I’m so sorry that you came over for nothing..” she said as she lowered her head again, her eyes filled with embarrassment. He must think I’m crazy.
“Don’t be sorry allright. You needed a friend and so here I am, so don’t think that it was for nothing, I did it for you and I don’t regret it or anything, okay?” She nodded. “Please stay..” she said, now also begging him with her eyes. “I don’t want to be alone tonight.”
Kevin already had seen this coming and he wasn’t sure if he liked it or not. Even though he wanted to be there for here in every possible way he could, staying here would mean that he would end up staring at her while she was asleep. He already liked her more than he thought was healthy for him, but how could he say no to her right now. He just couldn’t, the look in her eyes told him that she was terrified and needed him close. “I’ll stay.” He replied as he kissed her forehead. “Just let me pull up the chair.”
Wendy grabbed his arm. “Please, stay where you are.” She was so terrified that him being in the chair was even too far away right now. She could still feel the excruciating pain between her ribs, which made her sick. This startled Kevin and his instincts told him to leave the room and never come back, but ofcourse he didn’t run off. He decided to do as she asked, just for tonight, just so she could get some rest. Or at least, that’s what he told himself, that it was just for her and that it had nothing to do with him wanting to be close to her. He lay down next to her, which wasn’t easy in such a small hospital bed. She lay her head on his chest holding him with her arm. One arm was resting under his head, the other was holding her. “Thank you,” she whispered.
“Shh.. just try to get some sleep.” Kevin replied. This sure feels good, he then quietly thought to himself, and that’s exactly why I can’t do this anymore..