- Text Size +
Nick walked out of the elevator on the third floor and headed for the nurses desk noticing there were two nurses he had never seen before sitting behind it. “Excuse me, but I just got a call from nurse Ally that something was wrong with Miss Hamilton. Can you tell me where I can find her?” The nurses shook their heads, one of them replied that she hadn’t seen Ally for a while. As he was about to thank her, a voice came from behind him.
“Mr. Carter? I’m Ally.” She was out of breath because she hadn’t stopped running around trying to find Brian, who was still missing. Nick nodded. “Please call me Nick. Can you tell me what happened?” Ally shook her head, nervously fiddling with her shirt. “Only one of the doctors can tell you, I am not allowed to as a nurse. But I can tell you that she was fine last night, and sound asleep this morning. Then Brian came by and he found her unconsciousness. Speaking of Brian...”
“Yes??” Nick interrupted her, scared of what she would say about his friend.
“I kind of don’t know where he is..” she softly said. Now he was going to explode, she was sure of it and she lowered her head, staring at her feet as if she was admiring her shoes.
“What do you mean?” Nick asked her, puzzled by this. Ally was relieved that he hadn’t yelled at her. Well, not yet. “When I had to go outside for a minute to call you and the others, I left him alone in the family room. He was just staring at the wall, not saying a word, so I figured it would be okay. But when I got back, he wasn’t there. I’ve been searching for him, but can’t seem to find him anywhere. I’m so sorry.”
“It’s okay,” Nick replied in a gentle tone, and he meant it. “You had to call us, and you couldn’t do that in here. I’m sure you did the right thing. But now where could he be?” They both stood there for a second, Ally relieved that he took things so well, and Nick was trying to figure out where he would go if he was Brian. For a moment, his face lit up as he said. “I know where he is. There’s only one place Brian would go at times like these.”
Ally was confused for she didn’t understand what Nick was talking about. She knew their music, but didn’t actually know the guys that well. She didn’t know a thing about their habits, likes and dislikes and personal lives other than a close friend of them being here.
“Ally, where’s the hospital chapel?” Nick asked her, snapping her out of her thoughts.
“Ehm.. It’s on the first floor. When you come out of the elevator, turn right, turn the corner on your right, walk down the corridor, turn right and then you’ll only have to walk down that corridor, turn left at the end of it and you’re there.”
“You should hand out maps in this place.” Nick faked a smile. “Alright, let me see if I get this. First floor, right, right, left at the end of the hallway. Correct?” Ally smiled. “Correct. See, you don’t need a map. I’m sorry I can’t go with you, I need to stay here and wait for your friends to arrive, so they don’t go wandering about this enormous place as well.”
Nick nodded his head, turned around and slowly walked over to the elevator, scared of the state he would find Brian in. He just hoped the both of them could handle all of this and he would not snap at him like he did the night they brought Wendy in here themselves.

~~~~

Kevin had been sitting on his bed, staring at his phone for about ten minutes, before he finally picked it up to find out whose call he had missed on purpose. He knew it had been ten minutes and a few seconds, because the alarm clock made sure he knew. He glanced at the time it stated about every ten seconds, for no reason at all. He had to get rid of that ridiculous machine. His cell was somehow screaming for his attention as well. What was it with machines nowadays? Couldn’t they just sit there and mind their own business? As soon as those thoughts had slipped Kevin’s mind, he knew he was going crazy without her and his family, his friends. In his mind he was talking to stupid devices. He had to call her, but first he needed to know who had tried to call him earlier, when he was in the shower. He finally flipped his cell open, pressed a few buttons and saw that it had been Howie. He hadn’t left a message on his voicemail. Kevin sighed. He knew that he should call her now, but was still scared and nervous. He didn’t feel like himself anymore. He was no longer the person he knew himself to be, all that was left of the strong, trustworthy person he once was, was a fading shadow. He searched for her phonenumber in his digital phonebook and when he found it, he pressed dial after staring at her name for a few seconds. As he waited for her to answer with the phone to his right ear, he kept his gaze at the one thing he hated more than he hated himself at this point. The alarm clock.

~~~~

Nick slowly opened the door that gave him entrance to the chapel. He looked around, but his eyes didn’t find Brian. He sighed. Maybe he was wrong, maybe Brian was still wandering about the hospital. He decided to just go in anyways, so he could have a quiet moment to himself. He walked up to the front and then he saw him, lying there on the wooden bench. At first he panicked thinking that there was something seriously wrong with Brian, but when he realised he was snoring softly, Nick chuckled. The guys always teased him about being able to fall asleep anywhere, but now Brian seemed to be able to do the same.
He sat down next to him, careful not to wake him up just yet. He watched his best friend sleep. Brian looked exhausted, even now he was resting. Whatever happened today, added ten years to his looks. Nick closed his eyes for a moment, he himself was exhausted as well. Things were supposed to get better from now on, life was supposed to get back to normal, well as far that was possible with all that had happened. Now everything was uncertain again. No one knew what was going to happen, if she was going to pull through this time. They didn’t even know yet what was wrong, how she was doing at this moment in time.

“Rok..” Nick whispered.
The soft voice of his friend was enough to wake Brian up. He was a bit drowsy, so it took him a moment to sit up and be fully awake. “What happened, Rok?” Nick asked him while he glanced at his friend, who was staring at the altar in front of him. “I don’t know, Nick. I was here early, but when I came in, she was still asleep, or at least I thought she was. So I sang to her, but she didn’t move a muscle. So I decided to let her sleep a bit longer and packed the last of her things. After that... I sat down on her bed again, tried to wake her up, but she didn’t respond. Then I realised something was wrong, so I hit the red button. After that, everything’s just a big blur.”

Nick didn’t respond. He felt there was nothing he could say. So they sat there for a few minutes before Brian spoke up. “It’s my fault, Nick. I should’ve noticed sooner that something was wrong. If.. If she..” he stuttered. “Don’t say that Rok. It’s not your fault. We all know that she was exhausted yesterday, so it isn’t strange that you thought it just wasn’t easy to wake her up this morning. By the way we should get back to the family room. Maybe there’s news on how she’s doing.” Nick said as he got up, but Brian showed no intention to follow him. “Rok, are you coming?”
“Not just yet, I need to do something first and I was hoping you’d stay with me.” Brian answered with a hint of despair in his voice. He was scared to go back to the family room. He knew he would not be able to handle anymore bad news right now. “Sure Rok, what is it?” Nick answered, a bit relieved that he wouldn’t have to go back to the family room just yet. Like Brian, he was scared of what the doctors were going to tell them.
Brian cleared his throat, looking up at Nick, who was still standing. “Nick, will you please pray with me?”
Nick already had a feeling this question was about to come up, and he sat down again. “Sure, Bri.” He answered as he closed his eyes.
Both of them didn’t say a word, then out of nowhere he felt Brian putting his left hand on his right, looking for consolation. He could feel Brian’s pain even now he wasn’t squeezing his hand or anything. It just lay there. Nick felt Brian was scared that he’d get up and leave. Nick put his left hand on top of the Brian’s, letting him know he wasn’t about to walk away from the situation. In a reaction to that, Brian put his right hand on top, after which he softly began to pray. They prayed most for her to be okay, but also for the strength to be there for each other and Wendy. And strength was what they were going to need..