- Text Size +
FINALLY!! An update! After months of (minor)health problems and very intense writersblock, I'm back!! Seems like the writersblock has decided to torture somebody else for a while! Hope people still wanna read this story. If so, please review, cause I'm scared things are a bit rusty..
___________________

Fifteen days had passed since the day Kevin confessed his reasons for not visiting her. He now hardly ever left her side, which raised a few questions from one of his friends, and not the one who’d usually notice any changes in his behavior.
“Any changes?” he asked as he walked into her room, once again finding hem there, holding her hand in his, and his other hand playing with her hair. The voice made Kevin jump slightly. Quickly he let go of the lock of hair, hoping his friend hadn’t noticed. “Not yet.” He shook his head as he looked at his friend, a sad smile displayed on his features. “I didn’t hear you come in.”
“I guess you were caught up in your own thoughts..” Nick smiled as he gently sat down on her bed.
“Do you think we’ll ever be okay again, Kev? Like things used to be?”
Kevin locked his eyes with Nick’s as he chewed on his bottom lip, trying to come up with something positive.
“I mean, what if she wakes up remembering everything? Like, even.. you know.. everything?”
“I don’t know Nick.. I kinda just hope she won’t ever remember that. And if she does, things ain’t gonna get any easier for a while.”
Both men looked at her, each of them caught up in their own thoughts. It stayed silent for a few minutes, then Nick found the courage to express what he had kept inside for what it felt like to be forever, but in reality was only a week or so.

“You love her, don’t you?”
Kevin quickly turned his head away from her and locked his eyes with Nick’s. For a few seconds, he didn’t know what to say, but soon recovered as he said. “We all love her, Nick.”
“I know.. but you love her, right?”
Kevin lowered his head as he stared at his hands, not knowing how to respond. He didn’t want to be honest, but remembered what happened last time he hid the truth from his friends. “What makes you say that?” he whispered, again locking his eyes with those of his friend, who seemed to be nervous.
Nick shrugged. “You’re always here, Kev. Whenever I walk in, you’re here and you stay whenever I go home.
I can tell by the way you’re looking at her, touching her hand. I mean, you just have that sparkle in your eyes. She does that to you, doesn’t she? It just reminds me of...” he trailed off, thinking of he felt when he was in love with her, and that he had never experienced it since.
“It reminds you of what, Nick?”
“Eh.. Nothing Kev. Look, it’s not my business. Forget I asked.” Nick got up and as he walked over to the door, he heard Kevin whisper “I do..”. He pretended not to notice and walked out into the hallway, confused of what to think, even though he had already known the answer to his question before he asked.

Kevin silently cursed himself for letting the words slip from his mouth. He didn’t want anyone to know, not when he was so scared of his feelings for her and uncertain of how events would unfold when it came to her health and well-being. He gently touched her cheek, hoping she would magically show some signs of waking up.
She didn’t.

~~~~

He didn’t. He didn’t want to go out with her. The thought alone was enough to enraged her.

”I’m sorry, Debra. It has nothing to do with you. It’s just.. at this point in my life, I can’t see myself being with anyone. Things.. are complicated. I’m not asking you to understand, I hardly do so myself. But-”
“It’s okay Kevin. Forget I even asked. I just hope things work out for you.” She smiled as she gently put her hand on his arm, gently squeezing it, before turning around and walking back to her desk. The smile was soon replaced with a look filled with nothing more than pure hatred. Finally she had managed to convince herself that she should ask him out, instead of waiting for him to make the first move. She figured waiting for the man to ask the woman out, was old-fashioned and that men now liked the woman to approach them first. So that’s what she did and look where it got her. Nowhere.


But she wouldn’t let this just go by without doing anything to make him pay for his mistake. Hell no.
If only she could decide whether it would be affecting Miss Bitch or his little cousin Bri-Bri with the not so healthy heart. An evil smile danced on her features as she was lying in bed, staring at the ceiling, thinking of ways to hurt Kevin, by hurting someone he cared for. It wasn’t until 3 am that she finally fell asleep, her mind filled with plans to hurt the man she still thought was destined to be with her.

~~~~

”WHY do you do this, Alex? Why?!”
“I’m not doing anything.” He muttered, his arms crossed in front of his chest as he was staring out of the window, in his mind willing her to leave.
“Damn. Stop acting like this.” She yelled from behind, desperate to get through to him.
He didn’t reply, not seeing her point of view, instead thinking of how to get out of this place as soon as possible.
“ALEX!” she cried.
“What?” he asked as he yawned, getting bored with the situation.
“TALK to me, damnit.” She yelled as she grabbed him by the shoulders, forcing him to turn around.
“DON’T DO THAT!” he growled.
“Don’t do WHAT?! Touch you?! Why?! Are you scared you’re gonna actually FEEL something?!” she snapped, her voice dripping with sarcasm, her hands again placed on his shoulders, gently shaking him.
“LET GO OF ME!”
“NO, I won’t let go until you TALK to me.”
“LET GO OF ME!!” He repeated as he felt anger take over like it had so many times before. He knew she was pushing his limits, but she didn’t know what he was capable of when he was pushed over the edge.
“What are you-”
But before she could finish her sentence, he had managed to break free from her grasp, his fists balled, knowing he wasn’t going to be in control much longer. “Just GO.” He yelled, trying to regain calm, even though he knew it was useless. There was nothing there to calm him down, that’s why he had to get out. Out.. out.. out..

Next thing he knew, she screamed in pain. As he looked at her, he saw what he had done. He had left his signature, the print of his right hand, on her left cheek, which was flaring red. He hit her. He had really hit her. The realization of what he had actually done began to sink in, as he watched her staring at him. Not saying a word, just staring at him, as she held her hand against her cheek, as if that would make it all go away.

What had he done? He had lost his temper before, but then managed to tear up a pillow, throw furniture across the room, but never ever had he laid hands on someone, let alone someone he cared for. As he searched for words to apologize to her, she turned around to put on her jacket and get her purse.
“Wendy, WAIT! Please, don’t go.” He whispered. “Give me the chance to-”
“What?!” She said as she turned around to look at him. “Give you the chance to hit me again? You only get to do that once, Alex. Just once.” Her voice cracked as she said the last sentence. She then turned around to walk out of the room, leaving him crying.


A.J.’s eyes flew open. He turned his head to see it was 3.37 am and here he was, wide awake. How did this memory manage to sneak into his thoughts, his dream? It had been a long time ago, and something he really didn’t want to remember. But now it had, and as if he was hypnotized, he had no choice but to think of what happened the day after he made one of the biggest mistakes of his life.

”Hi.”
Her voice made him jump, she was the last one he had expected to show up after what happened the day before. He slowly turned around, his eyes fixed on the floor so he wouldn’t have to look at her. “Hi.” He whispered.
“Look at me.” She demanded with a shaky voice.
“I-”
“Look at me.”
But he didn’t have the courage to. How could he look her in the eyes after what he had done to her?
He heard her footsteps coming closer to him, so he closed his eyes, hoping he could avoid seeing her at all.
“Look at me, AJ.”
Hearing her use ÁJ’ instead of Alex made him cringe. She never ever said that, except for when she was joking around, pretending to be a hysterical fan. She never said it in such a serious tone.
“Look at me.”
He felt her slowly lifting his head, her fingers placed under his chin. She was shaking, he could tell. And knowing he was the reason why, made him sick to his stomach.

“Everything okay in there?”
She let go of him and walked away, that much he could tell. He suddenly recognized the voice, which made him jump to the ceiling, his eyes flying open to check if he was actually in the room. When he found out he wasn’t, he breathed a sigh of relief, hearing her talk to the man who was waiting in the hallway.
“I’ll be fine, Kev.”
“I’d rather be in there with you.”
“Don’t Kev. If I need you, I’ll yell, okay?” she whispered, which got her a simple “Yeah” for a response.

She walked back into the room, AJ now had no choice but to look at her. She was shaking, that much was obvious. He would never forgive himself for scaring her like that. “Look at me.” She repeated. He pretended to look at her, but actually he didn’t even see her face. He was looking through her, not at her as she had asked him to.
“Look at what you did, AJ. You were brave enough to h-hit me yesterday, now face.. Face the bruise.”
“I- I can’t.”
“I’m not asking you if you can. You have no say in this. Look at me and see what you did. Look at the bruise and look beyond it. Read me like you always did before all of this shit happened. Tell me what it is you see.”
Tears filled his eyes, as he shook his head. “I can’t do-”
“Tell me.” She demanded. “Wanna try and do this again some other time? Hit me again? Because I’m not planning on letting that happen, Alex. Tell me what it is you see, because when I walk out that door, I might not return. Tell me now, or live with the consequence of losing me.”
As much as she was trying to be tough about this, he could hear her trying to keep herself from crying, which made him even feel worse about himself. He raised his head, wanting to look her in the eyes, but instead his attention was drawn to her cheek. It was still flaming red for the most part, with some hints of blue and purple. You could still see his handprint, his signature. He slowly raised his hand, wanting to touch it, as if to make sure it was really there. But she backed away, the look on her face telling him she was terrified.

“I’m sorry. So sorry.” He whispered as tears began to flow. She was crying too at this point, close to hysterical.
Without thinking he opened his arms, wanting to hold her and make everything alright. But she slowly shook her head. “I can’t.. Not now.” she whispered. He couldn’t blame her, so they just stood there, each of them crying, but not able to comfort the other. So they just stood there. Together alone.


AJ closed his eyes, trying to forget, but the memory kept lingering in his mind until he finally dozed off to sleep hours later, only to be met by another memory he’d like to forget.