- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Alright, I'm back.. I'm so sorry I haven't updated in a while.. Stupid writers block decided it was time to haunt me again.. Hope you enjoy the new chapter..
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Kevin decided to take Dr. Greene’s advice and went home that afternoon. He made himself a simple sandwich, then stared out of the window for almost an hour before he forced himself to eat. After he sorted out his mail, he took a shower, then decided to go straight to bed, even though it was only 8.15 pm.
Two hours later, Kevin was still awake and he found himself staring at the ceiling, trying to process the events that took place earlier that day. The more he thought about it, the more he got convinced that she did wake up. He could still hear her say ‘Hey’ and feel how she leaned against the palm of his hand. She did regain consciousness, she really, really did. But how come that Debra said she didn’t? How could that be? What happened to Wendy after he ran off? What illness could make it seem like she didn’t wake up, didn’t open her eyes, like she didn’t say a word? What was happening to her? So many questions, but none of them could be answered. Kevin rolled over to grab the phone of his night stand.

~~~~

As she walked into Brian’s house, she knew there was no way of hiding this from the others. Before she went to see him, she promised to tell them how he was when she got back. She knew them well, they’d be sitting in the living room, pretending to watch tv, but in reality they’d all be thinking of how he was holding up. They had all wanted to visit him, but he had told them he didn’t want to see any of his bandmates, and for once they complied, each of them scared to, since he was there mostly because of their doing. She just wished Leighanne was home, but she was visiting a friend and decided to spend the night at her place, so she wouldn’t have to drive home in the middle of the night. For some reason, she thought that Leighanne would understand.

As she took off her coat, she could hear how the conversation in the living room suddenly came to an end. Before walking in, she looked at herself in the mirror. There was no way she could tell them it was nothing. Her skin was red and burning, his handprint still visible. “I- I’m home.” She yelled, even though she already knew they knew she was. She closed her eyes for a second and took a deep breath, holding it in for a few seconds before exhaling.

Walking into the living room, she saw she was right. The tv was on, but nobody was really watching. As if on cue, Kevin turned to look at her first, then Brian and Nick and Howie did the same two seconds later. She knew they couldn’t see her face just yet, because of the lack of light. Taking another deep breath, she stepped forward, bracing herself for the comments and questions.

“How was- WHAT THE HELL?!” Ofcourse he was the first to see, nothing went by him unnoticed.
“Geez Kev, why are- Owh my God!” That would be his cousin.
“Ouch girl... sit down..” That would be the Latino talking, gently taking her by the hand and making her sit down inbetween himself and Nick, who was speechless for a moment, then his face turned red and she could tell he was trying to stay calm, not managing to do so for long. “Did HE do this?!”
“Guys, I- “
“He is SO gonna regret this.”
“Are you alright?”
“Guys, please - “
“I can’t believe he did this.”
“GUYS!”
“Owh my God.. I’m gonna get some ice.”

“HEY!”
Finally it became silent, and all eyes were fixed on her as she sadly smiled at the man who finally managed to calm everyone down by raising his voice. “Thanks D.”
“So-“
“Kev, please. Bri, please sit down.”
“But-“
“I don’t want to put ice on this. I don’t want to- I don’t want to talk about it.“
“But Wendy-”
“This is between Alex and me, okay? It’s none of your business.” She calmly replied, as she looked at each of the men for a few seconds, her gaze fixed on Kevin and Nick the longest, since they were the ones most likely to go and ‘talk’ to AJ about what he had done.
“Hell yes it is now that he’s hurt you.” Kevin muttered, shaking his head as he watched her trying to keep her act up. She wasn’t doing such a good job, since all of them could see right through, especially Brian. But he didn’t say anything, determined to talk to her about this later on. He knew better than to press on, unlike his cousin who just wouldn’t drop the issue.

“Kev, please..” she pleaded.
“You won’t visit him anytime soon, understood?”
“You can’t tell me whether I can go visit him or not, Kevin. In fact, I’m gonna go see him tomorrow.”
“No fucking way.”
Kevin nodded as he looked at Nick, then turned to lock his eyes with hers. “What he said.”
“I will. I want him to see what he’s done. I want him to see what happens when he loses control and tell him what the consequences might be.”
“At least put some ice on it, girl..” Brian now pleaded.
“You won’t go Wendy.” Kevin gently said, as persistent as ever.
“No Bri.. I don’t wanna make things look any better than they are. Tomorrow I’ll try to give him a wake-up call for the last time. If even this won’t work, I don’t know what will..” she sadly smiled.
“Wendy-“
“Kev, please don’t. Come with me then tomorrow. But whether you like it or not, I will go and see him. Now please drop it, okay? All I want to do right now is watch a scary movie with these four handsome men to comfort me when it gets too scary for me to handle.” She smiled.

Brian got the hint, and got up to get a video. “Sesame Street it is for the young lady.” He smirked.”Oops, did I say young lady? I meant the young blonde baby sitting next to her.” He ducked away just in time, so that the pillow Nick threw at him missed it’s target.
“Rok, any popcorn in the house?”
“Yeah.”
“Can’t the two of you watch a movie without popcorn just for once?” Howie rolled his eyes.
“Nope.” The two men replied in unison.
“Wendy, please just don’t go.”
“I’ll help you Bri.” Wendy said as she got up to follow her best friend into the kitchen, pretending not to hear Kevin’s plead. She had made up her mind and there was nothing he could do or say to change it.

“Are you okay, baby?” Brian asked as he very gently cupped her face in his hands.
“Bri-Bri..”she sighed.
“I’ll drop it after you answer me, I swear. Scouts honor. Just tell me if you are okay.”
“You were never a boys scout.” She smiled.
“Exactly. Now please tell me. Are you okay?”
At first she nodded, which slowly transformed into shaking her head. “Not really. But-“
“We’ll talk later. I know.” Brian hugged her. “I just needed to know. Now let’s get Nicky some popcorn before he starts eating D. instead.” He let go and winked at her. That made her giggle, just like he hoped it would.
“POPCOOOOOOOOORN!!” came Nick’s voice from the living room.
“We better hurry!!” Brian chuckled. “D., are you okay or is Nick nibbling at your feet already?”

“Eeeeeeeeeeew...”
“I’m fine Bri, for now.. I don’t think I can fight him off much longer though!!” Howie chuckled.
“Wendy to the rescue!!” She plopped down inbetween the young men a few seconds later, giving each of them a Coke, after which she threw one over to Kevin.
“Now I may have to start on you though..” Nick smirked as he took her hand. He brought it to his mouth, then gently placed a kiss on top of it.
“Hands off my girl, Frack..” Brian hit him over the head as he walked by, holding a huge bowl filled with the snack the youngest had asked for.
“Your girl, you wish.” Nick stuck out his tongue at his best friend as he grabbed a handful of the popcorn. He stuffed most of it in his mouth, then looped an arm around her and pulled her a bit closer. She leaned against his chest, closed her eyes for a second and sighed before again plastering a fake smile on her features. “So what movie is it gonna be, guys?”
“I say, a classic.”
“Nick, not ‘A nightmare on Elmstreet’ again..” Howie sighed.
“Friday the 13th it is, my lady.” Brian grinned as he pressed ‘play’. “Can you handle that Nicky boy?”
“Hey if not, I think I got all the comfort I’ll need right here.” Nick winked.
“D., if he gets any worse than this.. please save me!” Wendy joked as she softly poked Nick in the side.
“You can count on me, girl.” Howie chuckled. “Nick, you have been warned.”
“Hmm, Bri did you hear something?” Nick whistled as he looked up to the ceiling, which brought out laughter from everyone, except for Kevin.

Kevin didn’t say another word that evening, his mind wandering off to dark places. Occasionally he glanced at her, seeing the hurt in her eyes even though she tried not to show it. He was determined to find out what happened between AJ and her earlier that night. But first, he had to make sure she’d be okay. First try to talk her out of going back, but if she insisted, like he knew she would, he’d go with her. And if AJ would only look at her in the wrong way, he was going to pay for doing so.

About an hour later, she was sleeping against Nick’s chest. Brian was the first to notice since he was sitting across from her and he had been glancing at her occasionally to make sure she was alright, under the circumstances.
“She’s asleep.” He whispered, but Nick didn’t hear since he was caught up in the movie. Howie heard him though, so he tapped Nick on the shoulder and filled him in. The youngest nodded, carefully lifted his arm and gently scooped her up, walked up the stairs, waited for Howie to open the door to her room, walked in and placed her on her bed. Then he watched Howie cover her with a blanket.

“Coming, D?” he whispered to his friend who seemed to be in deep thought. “In a sec.” he replied.
Nick nodded and decided to leave the room, it seemed like his friend needed some time alone with her, even though she wasn’t aware of his presence. Howie pulled up a chair and sat down next to her bed, his hands clasped, elbows resting on his knees. He couldn’t take his eyes off her cheek and even touched it for a second, which made her stir in her sleep. He had hardly said a word about the incident, but it hurt him more than she could imagine. Nick en Kevin were obviously very, very angry at AJ, but Howie was nothing more than sad at this point. Sad it had come to this.
AJ was no longer himself, but someone Howie sometimes wished they didn’t know. He softly kissed her on her forehead, before he turned around to walk out. In the doorway he stopped, once again looking at her. So much on his mind, but no way he’d tell her. After taking one more glance, he stepped out and closed the door behind him.


Howie remembered all of this like it was yesterday. She had told him how she was scared to face them, knowing how Kevin and Nick would respond. Wendy told him she was happy he reacted the way he did. Non-judgemental and not asking any questions. He had acted like it didn’t happen and that was what she needed back then. But why couldn’t he give her what she needed now? Why wasn’t he able to help her this time? Now that it was ten times more crucial, now that it was a matter of life or death. He felt like he failed her, just like he failed to help his sister or A.J. when they needed him. His rational side told him there was nothing he could do, but pray that they would find a cure in time to save her. His emotions told him otherwise. Howie sighed as he folded the paper he pretended to read. “I don’t know what to do anymore.. I just don’t know.” He whispered.

~~~~

“Brian?”
“Hey Kev..”
“Am I calling at a bad time?” Kevin softly said as he sat up.
“No, it’s okay.” Brian smiled as he watched Leighanne brush her hair, just like she did every night before going to bed. Brian sat down on the bed, his back turned to his wife as he tried to continue the conversation and taking off his socks at the same time. “I think I know why you’re calling.”
“Is that so?” Kevin surprisedly asked as he reached for the glass of water on his nightstand.
Brian nodded. “Yes. I got a call from Dr. Greene today.”
“So he told you about Wendy waking up?”
Brian hesitated. “Well, he told me about you telling him she woke up..”
“She did wake up Brian. I was with her when she did.” Kevin shook his head. He knew where this was going. Brian didn’t believe him. He would believe whatever Dr. Greene said and not even consider the possibility that Wendy did wake up and somehow go back to the state she was in before.
“I don’t know how to say this, Kev. As much as I want to believe you, she didn’t wake up. Dr. Greene repeatedly told me she didn’t. They have no reason to believe that she did.” Brian had tried to respond as careful as possible. The last thing he wanted was to scare his cousin away again.
“But Bri-”
“You’re wrong, Kev. You must have been dreaming. I had a similar experience a while back where-”
“No Brian. I’m sure. She-”
“I worry about you, Kev. Please promise me you’ll take to Dr. Ryan about this, okay? Please?”
Kevin let out a sigh of defeat. He knew there was nothing he could do or say that would convince Brian, so he decided not to try anymore. “I will, alright.. I will.. Tell Leigh I said hi, okay?”
“I will. Talk to you later, cuz.”
Both cousins hung up. The eldest was determined to find out what happened, while the youngest went to his son’s room to check on him, his cousin’s words still in the back of his mind. What if- No, that was ridiculious.