- Text Size +
A/N: Just an idea I came up with last night. Please read and review!


Nick grumbled upon hearing his cell phone ringing. He reached over from a still groggy, half asleep state, flipping it open.

“Ello?” he mumbled, unhappy that he’d been awakened from his deep slumber. He’d been having a really good dream too. One which involved being on a nude beach with the gorgeous super model, Tyra Banks. It had been so good, in fact, that he could feel some wetness down below from a little middle of the night “accident”

“Nick?” he heard an all too familiar voice ring in to his ear. God that voice was annoying, and this early, “Where the heck are you?”

“Sleeping in my bed,” Nick whined, “Damnit, Rok...what the hell do you want? I’m coming back tonight for the show tomorrow.” He sat up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes and yawned, looking over at the clock. It was only nine thirty in the morning. He still had another good three hours he could be sleeping.

“You should have been here last night,” Brian told him, “We have a show tonight...remember? In Phoenix...Phoenix, Arizona?”

“Naw, dude...” Nick replied, “That’s tomorrow...Friday the twenty-sixth”

“Which would be today.” Brian informed him

“Damn, that’s tonight, man?” Nick got out of bed, quickly walking over to his calendar, running in to various things along the way, making a lout racket of noise. Brian could hear things falling over through the receiver, and the occasional muttered ‘ouch’ coming from Nick or a choice curse word. He chuckled to himself despite the seriousness of the situation. Leave it to Nick to pull of something this moronic

“Kinda,” Brian told him, “And Kev is going to flip when he sees that you never came in last night like you promised you would leaving to visit your family on our two days off,” he waited a second and heard Nick say ‘oh shit’ before asking, “You better get your ass moving if you’re gonna get here on time. Think you’ll make it?”

“Uh, yeah...no problem...” Nick stated, fully wide awake now, although he sounded unsure of himself, “It may be right on the dot of nine, but I’ll get there on time.” he assured his best friend, “And uh, tell Kevin I’m sorry...”

Nick could almost imagine the cringe on Brian’s face, knowing he’d have to be the one to deliver the not so good news to Kevin. He after all had been expected to be in the room with Brian by that morning. Nick knew he’d never be trusted again to go off on his own. Hopefully though, for his best friends sake, Brian wouldn’t get his ass chewed out too badly beings Kevin, the most responsible one, was his cousin. With any luck, Kevin would save all his angered energy for Nick. He did, after all, deserve anything that came to him.

“Just get here as soon as you can,” Brian told him, “And please...try not to be late.”

“I’ll try,” Nick told Brian, knowing that his task would be rather challenging. He had exactly eleven hours and fifteen minutes before show time. Sure, it was half of a day, but that wasn’t very long when he had to fly nearly half way across the country., “I’ll be there somehow.” Nick promised, hanging up the phone.

Just standing there in a daze, Nick’s head was swarmed with all sorts of thoughts on what to do first. He was starting to panic. He had a lot he had to do before leaving, or was there really anything to do? Nick couldn’t think straight, wondering if he’d really gotten so drunk the night before that he couldn’t remember the day or time or anything. He didn’t even remember drinking though. Nick was just confused as he quickly changed his boxers and put on a pair of clean clothes before digging out the phone book to look up the airport and book a flight.

“Hi, when is your soonest direct flight to Phoenix from Orlando?” Nick asked as soon as the phone on the other end was answered.

“Hold on for just a moment while I check,” a man answered, and Nick could hear typing in the background, “The next flight out from Orlando is at seven tonight,” the man answered, “Would you like me to book you?”

Nick’s head started to swarm. That wouldn’t work. He needed out sooner. Hours sooner. If he left at seven, he wouldn’t even be at the airport until the show was supposed to be ending, or even a couple hours after. It definitely wouldn’t work and Nick had the common sense to know it. Even if there was a chance of him making it on time, he’d have to go through security on the way out, rent a car or catch a cab, not to mention all of fans he would run in to. Being as short on time as he was, he’d have to really rush.

“Are you sure there is nothing sooner?” Nick asked desperately, “Nothing at all that’s not completely booked?”

“I’m sorry sir, but seven is the soonest we can get you on a flight.”

“Never mind then, thank you,” Nick mumbled, hanging up the phone. Flying was out of the question, that much was obvious. Driving would take days, so that was definitely out of the question.

That’s when he had a brilliant idea. It could definitely work. He would just have to move fast to be sure to get there before that mornings mail was shipped out. It was his only other option though and desperate times came for desperate measures. This was certainly one of those times. He knew he couldn’t be picky.

Going over to his rabbits cage, he took out his half gallon water bottle, taking it over to the sink to wash it out good before filling it with fresh H2O, placing it in a plastic bag and tying it shut. He then took a small bowl, filling it with water to place back for his rabbit, walking it slowly over to the cage, placing it down inside.

“Sorry, Nibbles,” he said, petting the fuzzy white rabbit, “I need your water bottle more than you do right now.”

Nick checked to see if he had all of the lights turned off before grabbing his keys and slipping out of the door, locking it behind him. Getting in to his car, Nick put the car in to reverse, backing out of the driveway quickly and he was on his way. He was never, ever going to hear the end of this mistake. Even in thirty years, he’d still be getting teased about the time he’d forgotten what day it was and screwed up the schedule.

Before he knew it, Nick had reached his intended destination. Grabbing the plastic bag, Nick got out of the car, walking towards the building marked United States Post Office. He pulled open the door, walking inside up to the front desk, standing in the small line until it was his turn to be helped.

“I need the largest box you have....tallest and widest.” Nick told the girl at the desk.

She thought nothing of it as she went in the back for a moment, reemerging with a box that Nick deemed the perfect size. She struggled to carry the flattened cardboard, going around the counter to hand it to him. Thanking her, Nick took the box over to an empty corner, placing it down. Grabbing a pen off of the counter next to him, he quickly jotted down the address of the arena he was supposed to be at, knowing he’d be missing sound check in just a few hours. He wondered how angry everybody would be at him once he got there.

With the address filled out, Nick unfolded the box, taping up several times so that it stayed open and then took the pen, punching various holes in to the sides of the box, making one much bigger than the rest. Setting the pen down, Nick took the plastic bag, reaching his hand inside grabbing out the large water bottle, already filled at home. He stuck the silver nozzle through the hole, holding it up with one hand as he grabbed some packaging tape with the other, ripping off pieces with his teeth then firmly taping the bottle to the side. He was so in to what he was doing that he didn’t even notice the stares he was getting from other people entering and exiting the Post Office. They eyed him cautiously as if he were a crazy person, taking steps sideways to further themselves away from him. Nick was oblivious to it all though, even as he picked up the box, carrying it over to a rather frightened looking Postal worker.

“I’d like to mail myself first day shipping to Phoenix.” Nick told the lady with a completely straight face.

“I...uh...I’m pretty sure we’re not allowed to ship people,” the lady, who Nick caught a glimpse of her name tag reading Gloria, told him nervously.

“Please...I have a show tonight that I forgot...and all the flights out there are booked.” Nick pleaded, knowing that he was recognized.,” there was a couple minutes of silence where both parties just stared each other down. Nick wasn’t going to give up until he was tucked inside of that box, sucking away happily at his already made up and prepared water bottle, “I’ll give you a thousand bucks cash...on top of the shipping cost...all yours to keep. It’s important.”

He saw Gloria’s eyes light up even though her face remained nervous. She looked around uneasily, seriously weighing out the option. Nick could see that his bribe was going to make him win. He had to win. It was his only other option or else he’d be calling Brian to tell him that he wouldn’t be there after all. That would be a disaster. He was pretty sure that he’d be banned from everything fun if he didn’t show up for this.

“Well, um...okay,” Gloria told him hesitantly, conveniently forgetting to tell him that there was the possibility of him suffocating in there.

Nick grinned, pulling out the money, fifteen hundred dollars for her, five hundred of it to cover the shipping costs, which he knew would be somewhere around there, “Here ya go...the change is yours. I need to be there by probably eight thirty...so, which ever method is quickest would be appreciated.”

Gloria just gave him an odd look as she helped him in to the large box, Nick sitting down Indian style, his knees bent upward slightly. It was definitely a tight fit, but certainly manageable in his desperate situation. Nick smiled when the top flapped shut and all became almost completely dark as the box was taped shut. He could soon feel himself being lifted up and wheeled away, likely in to the back room, where he’d be loaded on to a truck and then on to a plane, being delivered right to his friends and group mates on time.

~*~

“Where the hell is he?” Kevin growled, looking down at his watch. It was five til nine and they were due on at any moment, “I swear, when that boy gets here...” he was so agitated that he couldn’t even complete his sentence.

“He’ll be here,” Brian assured his cousin, although he too was getting a little antsy. The show really couldn’t go on unless all five men were there. Four wouldn’t really cut it, especially when the one missing was one of the lead vocals of the group. Nick was also, by quite a large percentage, the favorite of the group.

Kevin just shook his head, walking away in disgust. He had nothing to say to anybody. He was worried about the possibility of them having to postpone the show to a later date if Nick didn’t show up. They really couldn’t start much later than nine-thirty, and even that would be pushing it.

“Tell me again why we let him just take off?” AJ asked with an amused smile, finding the situation humorous. If one was to really think about it, it was kind of funny. This kind of thing was expected of the blonde Boy.

“Because we thought he was old enough to be responsible,” Kevin sighed, “I guess twenty-five still isn’t old enough for him though.”

There were several snickers, each man knowing that Kevin was right. Nick obviously wasn’t quite of age yet to take on responsibility. That was something only mature people were ready for. Nick just wasn’t able to be trusted yet, which was quite frightening if one was to really think about it. And here it was, already five after now, and Nick still hadn’t shown up.

“I swear...he’s going to die after the show tonight if he even shows,” Kevin vented, watching as a large package was wheeled up to them, “What the hell is this?”

“Delivery for the Backstreet Boys,” the FedEx deliverer replied, handing out a clipboard for one of them to sign for the package. Howie took it when nobody else did, scrawling his name out on the dotted line, “Thank you and have a good show.”

Kevin rolled his eyes, looking at the large box oddly. It wasn’t the fact that it was a box though, but the fact that there was a water bottle attached to the outside, now empty, and small holes all over. He stepped away from it, almost afraid of what was inside, wondering if some psycho had sent them some sort of animal, but the box was too calmly still for there to actually be something living in there, wasn’t it?

“Umm...who wants to open it?” Howie laughed nervously, “Or should we call for bomb squad to dispose of it?”

There were a few moments of silence, each Boy looking at one another not knowing what to make of the situation. Never before had they been delivered a package on stage right before a show. It was definitely odd, but there it was, addressed to that arena, made out to the Backstreet Boys, the return address the same as the send to address. That in itself was a little suspicious. It had gone through mail security though, so they all assumed that it had passed all inspections to make sure it wasn’t carrying anything fatal.

“I guess I will,” Brian sighed, going over and looking at it before slowly peeling away at the tape on top.

The others stood back just watching and only a minute later, Brian was folding back the flaps, looking inside. He staggered backwards though, nearly tripping and falling as someone all too familiar jumped up from the box, standing up and attempting to get out only to knock the box over, falling to the ground himself.

He got four stares of bewilderment, just staring at him in complete amazement. All four men were speechless, just looking at Nick without a clue as to what to say. There really was nothing anybody could say about the stunt he’d pulled. Kevin had one eyebrow cocked up as the others just looked at him in confusion and just baffled beyond belief at the blonde boy whom they considered to be a brother, wondereing if they were all hallucinating and seeing things.

“My legs are asleep,” Nick cried out, trying to stand by was paralyzed into place due to the numb, tingling sensation radiating throughout his entire body, “Damn...he tried to walk but stumbled a little, deciding against it, “How am I gonna dance if I cant even walk?”

Ignoring his complaints, AJ was the first to find his voice to speak, “What the hell did you do, you half tard?”

“Or dare we even ask what was going through that half baked brain of yours when you decided to do this?” Brian laughed

“There were no flights out, so I shipped myself to you from Orlando...” Nick told them as if it was completely normal, shaking his legs to regain feeling, “I told Rok I would be here...and here I am.”

Nobody said a thing for awhile, each man trying his hardest not to laugh. Even Kevin was stifling a grin, his anger fading at the humor of the situation. Only Nick would try to pull of something so stupid yet try so hard to get to the show on time, doing what nobody in their right mind would pull off. He just stared at him, along with everybody else, wondering if he’d ever be able to figure out and understand the way the boy he’d known for twelve years now thought.

“Forget that,” Kevin stated, “You’re here now. Let’s get on with the show.”

The Boys all took position as the lights dimmed, and screams were heard because the show was in fact, finally starting. The intro of music blared through the enormous speaker system for a couple of minutes, torturing the fans in to an anticipated frenzy. And then, one by one, the Boys started to run down the set of stairs center stage.

“Nick,” Brian yelled over the music, right before it was his turn to take the stairs, “I’m glad that you managed to get here on time, but you are an idiot.”

Nick just laughed as his best friend ran, Nick following seconds later. It was definitely an something they’d all be talking more about as soon as the show ended in just under two hours.