- Text Size +
Hearing the doorbell chime, Ana paused her movie and shifted to look over the couch. Stephanie had just been picked up by Howie for their date, so it was no surprise that AJ had arrived. Fumbling for her crutches, she pushed herself off the lumpy couch and made a slow progress toward the door. She could feel her stomach churning wildly with a nervous energy that built in the very core of her body. She just wanted him to leave. See her cast and leave.

It might have seemed treacherous to say the least, but he terrified her. She didn't trust herself in his presence. He made her question everything she had believed and the idea that her world was being turned around was unsettling. She was happier by herself, though, when she opened the door and noticed his handsome grin, she couldn't deny the own smile that swept her beautiful features.

"Hey..."

"Hey. Are you ready for some fun?" AJ's smile seemed to broaden as he saw her smiling as well.

"Sure..." Ana trailed, shifting carefully on her crutches to open the door wider. "...Where are we going?"

"Nowhere. I thought we would stay here, have some dinner and watch horror movies," AJ showed a bag full of food he knew was her favorites and another bag full of horror DVD's.

"Stephanie told you that I broke my ankle, huh?" Ana immediately guessed, noticing the devilish gleam glinting in his dark brown eyes. Leaning back further, she invited him into the house and used one crutch to push the door closed.

"In her words... snapped it like a twig? I thought I was the only one to have injuries like that," AJ offered another smile with a chuckle as they walked into the kitchen.

"You've met your match," Ana decided with a causal shrug of her shoulders, resisting the urge to wish her best friend death. "You don't have to spend the night cooped dup inside--"

"If I didn't want to spend time with you inside, I wouldn't have come here," AJ replied, pulling out ingredients for their dinner.

"...Are you cooking?" Ana questioned after a few moments of uncomfortable silence, leaning against the kitchen counter.

"Yeah. I thought you could use a homecooked meal since Steph isn't very handy in the kitchen."

"And now she's telling you that I'm anorexic?"

"No, she didn't say that," AJ began mixing up some ground meat along with some spices. Stephanie had told him that meatloaf was one of Ana's favorite meals and he hoped he could get her to eat something.

"Okay..." Ana trailed, knowing that her friend had been spilling secrets. It was in the way AJ's posture tensed at her suggestion of anorexia. Not that it mattered, she decided, moving toward the living room. He would be gone soon enough.

"Smooth move, McLean," AJ scorned himself under his breath, patting the meat into a baking pan and slipping it into the oven.

Hestiating before flopping down on the lumpy couch, Ana went about fixing her mountain of pillows over the cushions in hopes to create a somewhat comfortable seat. Halfway through her fussing, she felt the crutches slip and she veered backward, crashing against AJ's chest. "Jesus!"

"Are you okay?" AJ heaved as he kept his arms wrapped around her. He had come out of the kitchen just in time to catch her.

"I'm fine," she assured softly. "Just nearly broke my neck."

"Why didn't you ask for help?" He asked, watching her try and straighten her crutches.

"Because I was just straightening pillows on the couch--"

"Which almost resulted in another broken bone," AJ finished for her. He helped her regain balance and took a small step back to give her space.

"What's another break?" Ana stated carelessly, shrugging her shoulders before flopping onto the couch. She grimaced at the pain racing up her leg, but naturally propped it up.

"I don't know. That would just mean more time inside," AJ replied, noting the tone in her voice. A pang invaded his heart, knowing a simple misunderstanding on his part had caused it.

"I miss the beach," she agreed softly.

"You're a beach bum, too?"

"A serious beach bum. Why?"

"I love the beach," AJ explained, playing with the chain of his favorite cross. "Maybe when you get that cast off, we can hang out there for a day and do whatever you want."

"I just like to swim all day. When I get tired, I sprawl out on my favorite beach blanket. Take a nap, slap on some sun screen, and go swimming again. God, I love swimming," Ana confided, leaning against several of the pillows before gesturing that AJ could have a seat. It was apparent he wasn't leaving.

"Once you get the cast off, we'll go to the beach and you could swim to your hearts content," AJ offered as he sat down next to her.

"I can go to the beach by myself and swim to my heart's content," she reminded him with a small smile, though she grimaced with annoyance when she moved her cast. Looking to his lap briefly and aching to just sprawl out for comfort, she bit down hard on her bottom lip. "What's the chances that I can get you to throw a pillow in your lap and hold my cast? I'll let you sign it."

"Very good chances," AJ smiled, grasping a pillow and placing it in his lap as she carefully stretched out. "I would like to sign your cast, if you want me to."

"I offered," Ana assured, grinning with satisfaction before tucking her arms behind her head and allowing her eyes to drift closed. "Make sure it's something token AJ-ish that the fans would squeal over. I can sell it on Ebay--" Feeling him gently tickle the underside of her good foot, she actually giggled. "I was kidding! Damn!"

"Yeah, you better be kidding," AJ chuckled, looking for something to write on the hard plaster. He found a Sharpie marker and bent down close to her ankle. "Don't peek."

"Because I'm a contortionist and can bend over backwards to read..."

"I was expecting a smart ass comment."

"Did I deliver?"

"Delivered and then some," he agreed as he began to scribble a message on the cast.

"Good," Ana decided, listening to the scratch of the marker across the rough plaster. She just expected him to pen his name and be done with it. Perhaps push her cast out of his lap. Yet, the scratching continued for a long length of silence. "Are you going to read that to me?"

"I will once I'm done."

"Are you done yet?"

"Almost. Haven't you heard of the saying 'Patience is a virtue'?"

"I'm not a virtuous person."

"Still. Be patient." AJ retorted as he finished his message and signed it.

"How can you honestly expect patience from a person who insists that she has no patience and--" Opening her eyes, Ana lifted the upper portion of her body and watched him cap the marker. "...Read it?"

"As you wish," AJ smiled as he began to recite what he wrote.

Ana - I know our friendship had a rocky start, but I think now the road has turned smooth. You're funny, sweet, sarcastic and full of life. I just hope we can keep moving forward and get to know each other even better. If you ever need help fixing the couch from Hell, all you need to do is ask.

Love, AJ


"You could have just wrote your name..." Ana trailed softly, lifting herself until she was fully upright. She had never seen a man with such compassion before. She had literally thrown him away and yet he still fought for her attention. Smiling, she brushed her fingers tenatively across his bristled jaw. "Thanks."

"You're welcome," AJ smiled as well, his skin tingling from her simple touch. "I wanted to give you something to read when you were feeling down, and to know I'm here if you need me."

"I'll just hold my leg above my head to read it," she promised with an impish grin, pulling her legs from his lap and collecting her crutches. "C'mon, the meatloaf cooks for a couple hours. We can get one movie in before it's done... Upstairs... In my room..."

"You're sure you want me up in your room?" AJ stood up, ready to help her if needed. "I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable."

"The couch is shitty as Hell. I can't make it comfortable, no matter how many pillows I throw on it. So, you can come upstairs with me or stay down here," Ana offered, moving toward the stairs with careful attention to lifting her heavy cast to make sure it wouldn't catch.

"I'll join you upstairs. I just got my back realigned from the last time I was on that couch," He followed her and raised an eyebrow. "Do you want me to help you get up the stairs? Your cast has to be heavy."

"I can do it myself--" A sharp squeal escaped her lips when AJ lifted her from the ground without any thought whatsoever. The crutches were placed against the side of the wall and she was cradled protectively against his chest. Her heart fluttered slightly, but not from surprise. "...You're something else..."

"Rhett Butler was my hero as a kid when he swept Scarlett O'Hara off her feet and went upstairs," AJ chuckled, relishing in the feeling of her nestled in his arms.

"I really hope you're kidding..." Ana trailed, wrinkling her nose in distaste though she loosely wrapped her arms about his neck. Tilting her head to the side, she admired the skull and rose inked against the side of his neck. Moving her fingers over the ink, she seemed mesmerized. "...I like these..."

AJ held back a shiver as she admired his tattoos. "I have a lot more, if you wanted to look at them."

"I'm pretty sure I've seen the menagerie... In pictures that Stephanie constantly shoves in my face..." Ana trailed, directing him toward her bedroom. When he opened the door, she smiled ruefully at the clothing scattered over the floor. Clean clothes were folded messily and piled on various surfaces, but she hadn't the time to put them away. She didn't seem to mind when he laid her upon the bed and she scooted to the top to collect her dozens of pillows. "Unless you have some in...naughty places?"

"Naughty places? Oh, no. I don't let just anyone go there," AJ laughed as she got ready for the movie. "Kev has one on his hip... Nick... I don't even want to know. Brian's too golden for that and Howie doesn't want to mar his 'beautiful caramel skin', as he has said on more than one occaision."

"I wasn't talking about them. I was talking about you," Ana reminded, gesturing toward her menagarie of technical gadgets perched on the dresser in front of her large bed. She had always enjoyed lounging in bed and watching movies, so most of the time when she had money to spare, it went into perfecting her oasis.

"I know..." AJ trailed, focusing on loading the DVD into the player. He couldn't help but allow a cloud of confusion to fall upon him. Ana's banter was profoundly flirtacious, just as before. However, when he had reacted to the flirtation, he had gotten a nasty shock. He wasn't sure how to proceed with the situation, not wanting to cause another stir.

"You know which tattoo of yours that I absolutely love?" Ana questioned when silence passed between them at the movie's previews began to roll. She gestured for him to join her on the large bed, wanting to see the tattoo.

"Which one?" AJ asked as he walked over and crawled onto the bed. He told himself not to do anything unless she initiates it.

"This one," Ana explained softly, reaching for his left arm and tilting it slightly to reveal the outside of the forearm. Sure enough, there lay a beautiful inking of Adam's hand reaching out to touch God. It was a rendition of Michelangel's famous painting - The Creation of Man. "I absolutely love this one. I studied Art History through college. It's one of my favorite paintings."

"It's one of my favorites, too. After getting out of rehab, it was my way of keeping in touch with God and staying sober."

"It's absoluely gorgeous," Ana murmured, nodding with understanding. She allowed her fingers to trace over the hand of God, wishing she could reach out and touch his heart.

"Thank you," AJ smiled as he watched her admire his body art. "Do you have any tattoos?"

"No, I don't think I've ever been able to sit still long enough to get one... Besides, I wouldn't know what to get, really. I thought about a fairy..."
"Yeah? What kind of fairies do you like?"

"Amy Brown is one of my favorite fantasy artists. That framed poster on my wall has one of her designs. She has so much talent."

AJ glaced at the photo and understood why she liked the artists drawings. They were fascinating. "Why don't you get one of her fairies as a tattoo?"

"Because I can't see sitting still long enough to get it done," Ana answered, allowing his arm to fall over her stomach as she laid back amongst the pillows. Tucking her hands behind her head, she looked to the movie, not really paying attention to the blood spattering the screen. "Besides... I don't know where to get it and... It might hurt..."

"From my standpoint... I'm not going to lie. It can hurt, but it all depends on where you get it. Places like your forearms, wrists, spine, hips and ankles hurt more than others," AJ replied, keeping his eyes on Ana's beautiful form as the movie played. "A fairy tattoo would look good on your shoulder... or even your hip bone. It really depends on your pain tolerance."

"I like the idea of getting it over my hip," Ana suggested after a moment of silence, lifting up her shirt and lower her lounge pants. She motioned toward the right portion of her outer hip bone, just aside and lower from her belly button. "Here."

"You have the perfect body type for a tattoo there," AJ commented, holding back an urge to trace his fingers over her caramel skin. "I could take you to the guy who does mine here in Florida."

"How much does he cost?"

"Nothing. It would be my treat."

"I don't want you paying for my tattoo," Ana objected, though she twined their hands together, resting them over her stomach.

"But I want to," AJ insisted, smiling at the sight of their hands joined. "Consider it an early birthday present?"

"And what if I want something better for my birthday?" Ana laughed, lifting her leg to allow him the chance to tuck several pillows beneath the cast to support it. Satisfied that she was somewhat comfortable, she turned to rest her head against his shoulder.

"Okay... a partial early birthday present?" AJ smiled as they cuddled closer on the bed, the movie playing and almost forgotten.

"I'll think about it," Ana decided, fighting a small yawn. "...What are the chances you can grab that blanket at the end of the bed? I love air conditioning and I love it frigid, but it's best when I have a blanket to cuddle with."

"No problem," AJ smiled. He sat up and grabbed the blanker. He covered her up and looked at her for approval. "Better?"

"Almost," she decided, gesturing for him to lay back down before draping the blanket over them both. Tucking close against him once more, she inhaled the spicy scent of his cologne. "I get lonely sometimes."

"I know how you feel," he replied, wrapping his arms around her as the soft blanket made a warm nest for them. "Especially when I'm on tour."

"I love Stephanie with all my heart and she cuddles up with me... But... I don't know... I just feel empty sometimes and she can't fix it... I just move between wanting to be completely alone to needing someone to cuddle with me. I swear, I'm bipolar."

"A bipolar cuddler," AJ chuckled, running his fingers through her locks.

"You'd be surprised," she murmured, allowing her eyes to drift closed while his fingers played with her thick honey curls. "...You're lonely when you tour? Even with your friends all around?"

"Sometimes the company of four men doesn't help with the loneliness."

"...I'd be quite content with the company of four men..."

"Oh you would?" AJ looked down at her with a chuckle.

"Four handsome men and me?" Ana questioned, watching intently as AJ nodded slowly. "Of-fucking-course I'd be content. Bubble bath with one and shower with the other three. One can scrub my back. One can wash my hair. And the other... Well... He's the lucky one."

"You are something else," AJ wheezed slightly, still chuckling. She was definitely one of a kind and he was determined to make her his one of a kind when she was ready.

"Well, I need to have a boy-toy to entertain myself with while I'm being pampered," Ana explained with a small pout as if upset that he didn't understand. When he shifted to hover over her, she felt her heart rate accelerate with excitement and draped her arms causually over his shoulders. She wanted to provoke him this time. She was certain. Her body craved his attention since their last encounter, though she had worked herself to death to forget that simple fact.

"A boy-toy, eh?" AJ smirked softly, licking his dry lips. "And who would be your boy-toy?"

"So many men to chose from..." Ana trailed with a heavy sigh. She acted as if it were a chore to pick a man. As if she had so many to consider.

"Make your choice wisely," AJ warned, raising an eyebrow.Ana released a soft whine of protest, slumping back upon the mattress and tucking her arms beneath her head.

"I can't sample? Y'know, like how you go to test drive cars?"

"You need to think about this logically," AJ shook his head with a gentle roll of his eyes. "Nick's maturity level and intelligence is at the age of seven. Brian's married. Kevin's married. Howie is dating your best friend. So... what do you think would be wise?"

Sighing, Ana pushed herself up with her elbows, brushing her chest against his. Raising her chin, she allowed their lips to meet, but wouldn't pursue a kiss. Instead, she allowed their lips to mere brush when the words passed her lips in a whisper, "Nick, obviously."

"Why you little!" AJ began tickling her."Apparently that was the wrong answer!" Ana squealed with surprise, clammoring to reach the man's hands to prevent such a torture. Her entire body tingled with the sensation of his fingers racing over her skin. He even made sure to tuck his fingers beneath her t-shirt to create the friction of skin against skin. She flushed with delight, though she hoped he assumed it was exertion.

"What would make you think that?" AJ laughed, loving the sounds of her laughter and squeals. Her skin felt so soft under his touch.

"Because you're attacking me!" she gasped, struggling to find his hands and pin them, not knowing how much more she could sustain."Say it."

"Never."

"Say it!"

"Never!"

"Say it!"

"I don't know what you want me to say!"

"Say 'Uncle'!"

"You're not my uncle, Dumbass!"

"Then I ain't stopping, Smartass!"

"You're torturting a cripple!"

"You're preaching to the choir! Now say it!"

"You're not crippled!"

"I'm close to being in the Guinness Book of Records for most crippling moments!"

"It's not my fault that you're a complete baboon when it comes to functioning--"

"Now it's going to get worse!"

"Wait--"

"Too late!"

"Damnit!" Ana cursed with a sharp squeal when his fingers dug into her sides, by far the most ticklish portion of her body. She arched up against him and grasped his face within her hands. Pulling him over her body, she roughly joined their lips together, wanting to hault the violent assault over her body. Hearing a soft moan rumble from the base of his throat, she nipped furiously at his bottom lip before drawing it into her mouth, sucking slowly.

"Damnit..." AJ breathed as their lips were brought together again, almost with a crushing force from the pent-up attraction between them.

"Fucking Hell," Ana cursed after him, whimpering softly when his hands framed her face. Leaning up once more, she released his bottom lip to offer a full kiss. His breath tickled her lips before seeming to engulf her. His tongue roughly slipping into her mouth, she eagerly met him in a passionate entwinement. The coolness of his silver rings against her flaming skin soothed the ache spreading over her and she pulled him closer.

"Are you okay with this?" AJ pulled his mind out of the passion for a moment to make sure she was still comfortable being intimate with him. He didn't want to revert her back into the dark shell she had been in.

Falling back amongst the pillows, Ana stared at him with astonishment, bringing her fingers to her kiss-swollen lips. She frowned at the cessation of the encounter, desperaltey needing something more from him. Yet, he stopped as if he weren't ready. "Jesus Christ, AJ--"

"Alex--"

"What?"

"Call me Alex," AJ murmured softly, still hovering over her with uncertainty. He couldn't stand to hear such a generic nickname pass her lips. Not when his entire soul begged for her, yearning to be with her always.

"Alex..." Ana trailed in a whisper, reaching up to grasp the collar of his wrinkled wifebeater. "C'mere."

"Okay..." AJ obliged, allowing their lips to capture each other once more and his body slowly descended onto hers.

"Don't worry," she murmured into his mouth, hoping to coax the intensity from his muscles. She wanted him to concentrate on the carnal pleasures that their bodies could produce, but he tensed over her. Bringing her lips to the corner of his mouth, she kissed her way across his beard-roughened jaw. When she found his earlobe, she nipped playfully and dropped to suck at the skull tattoo on the side of his neck. "I want this."

"Y-You do?" he stammered, feeling his body ache with a familiar want as her kisses led to the front of his throat. She was so exquisite; rough yet sweet and gentle.

"Don't you?" she asked with a purr, nibbling at the flesh of his throat. She felt his chin sink against the her forehead as if the strength were leaving his body. She had never understood the power she held over men, nor truly exerted its potency. Yet, she continued to edge AJ toward the brink of insanity.

"Yes... I just wanted to make sure you--"

"Can't you see that I want this?" Ana groaned, pulling her lips away from his body.

"Sweetie... the last time I thought you wanted this kind of contact... I scared you. I just don't want to do that again. I care about you too much," AJ explained softly.

Furrowing her brows with annoyance, she fell back against the pillows and resisted the urge to utter a full phrase of colorful curses. "You didn't scare me."

"I didn't?"

"No."

"So... leaving me alone to breakfast and never answering my calls meant...?"

I was busy."

"That was all?"

"And I had the shits? Hell, what are you looking for me to say?"

"I'm just trying to respect you, Ana. That's all. If this is something you want, this is something I want."

"I'm trying to show you that this is something I want, but you keep interupting my flow," Ana answered with a firm pout, sitting up with a huff of air expelling from her lungs. Grasping his thin hips, she guided him over her and helped him straddle her lap. Satisfied when he towered over her, she removed his wifebeater and ran her fingers gently over his chest before kissing the warm flesh.

"I think I should interrupt the flow more often," AJ moaned softly, closing his eyes for a moment.

"I think we would have gotten here sooner if you'd just fucking shut up," Ana muttered, though she laughed against his chest when he tugged sharply on a stray honey curl. Drawing her left knee up to bump his backside, she ended up pushing him closer, nipping, sucking, and kissing the flesh of his upper chest before finding his collar bone for a quick nibble.

"So this is the firecracker side of you I heard so much about," AJ rolled his eyes, biting his bottom lip hard as her lips found his neck again.

"I don't know anything about that," Ana disagreed with a causal shrug of her lean shoulders, brushing her lips over the skull tattoo on the opposite side of his neck, feeling a sharp shiver race down his spine.

"You are such a bullshitter," AJ chuckled, leaning forward so Ana would lie amongst the pillows once more. Looking backward when she satisfied herself by brushing her fingers down his chest to the pit of his stomach, the pad of her index finger tracing the sixty-nine around his belly button, he fought another hard shiver. She was driving him insane and he wanted to reciprocate the affection, but wanted to make sure that her ankle was still protection amongst its pillows.

"Alex... I need your attention..." Ana cooed suddenly. "Or am I not doing a good job at keeping it?"

"Oh, you're definitely keeping my attention," AJ groaned softly, turning his gaze back to her. "I was checking on your ankle."

"It's fine," she assured him, grabbing the belt looped through his baggy jeans and giving it a firm tug.

"Oof! Demanding," he chuckled, leaning down to kiss her hard.

"Well, you've got to keep me attention or I'm going to seek satisfaction elsewhere," she explained, moaning softly and arching up against him when his tongue dipped into her mouth for several swift strokes.

"You won't have to worry about that," he promised, his lips finding her delicate, creamy neck and he suckled softly.

"You should be the one worrying about me leaving," she answered with a soft hiss of delight, cupping her hands over his neck to hold him close.

"Oh yeah?" he held back a smile, trailing from her neck down to her throat and back to her neck.

"Okay," she whimpered with a quick shiver. "Maybe I would worry... Slightly..."

"That's what I thought--"

"And if I told you that the meat loaf was burning?"

"You're shitting me."

"Use your nose and find out."

"Shit!" AJ exclaimed when he took a whiff of the air. Leaping out of the bed, he hit his knees on the carpet and fumbled to stand. He stumbled and crumbled, but managed to go running out of the room.

"So... We're done with foreplay now, right?" Ana holler after him with a laugh.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Releasing Stephanie's hand, Howie lightly draped his arm around her shoulders to bring her close when the ocean breeze chilled. Sunset was steadily approaching and he had wanted to take a stroll down the beach after dinner. It was something that he did frequently, especially when he was in his deepest depressions. Somehow, the soothing quality of the waves had rescued him from the darkest of thoughts. Yet, now, walking the familiar path with a beautiful woman at his side, he found that these strolls would be different from now on.

"It's so breathtaking here when the sun is going down," Stephanie sighed softly, placing an arm around his waist as they walked along the cool sand. Being with Howie always seemed to put everything into perspective.

"I was thinking the same thing myself," Howie agreed with a gentle nod, leaning over to press a soft kiss to her brow. Feeling her hand squeeze him lightly, he smiled and continued to set the pace of their walk. "You're absolutely gorgeous in any light, though."

"You're pretty dashing in any light yourself," Stephanie cheeks burned slightly as the waves crashed into the shore. It was still a little difficult to accept compliments, but she was getting better.

"Dashing?"

"It sounded good?"

"I think you're the first to call me dashing," he chuckled.

"I read a lot of romance novels," she confessed with a furious blush, tucking herself close within his embrace. "It was easier to get lost into a beautiful fantasy filled with love and adoration than face reality..."

"I understand," he assure, gently rubbing her shoulder. "That's the beauty of performing. I could be someone else every night. But you still have to come home eventually..."

"Yeah... at least we have each other to go home to," she offered, closing her eyes for a moment as the salty breeze ruffled her choppy blonde locks.

"I thank God for that, I promise."

"So do I," she opened her eyes again and looked out to the ocean. Like Howie, she had found a solace within the turbulant waters when she was at her lowest. A spark lit inside her and she pulled away from him, grasping his hand. "Come on."

"What are we doing?"

"Come on!" She began pulling him towards the water.

"It's freezing in that water!" he exclaimed in horror, grasping her hands and hurriedly pulling her toward him. "We'll be freezing!"

"We can keep each other warm," she kissed him passionately and took his hand again.

"This isn't Titanic, Stephanie--" he argued vehemently, feeling the chill of the tide when it lapped at his ankles.

"Baby, this is real life. We have this one life to live and I don't want to waste a minute!" she held onto his hand, continuing to pull.

"Well, we're going to waste more than a minute when you plunge me into these cold ocean waters, I catch pneumonia, get hospitalized, and die--" Groaning when she continued to pull furiously, he grabbed her by the waist and hoisted her into his arms. Rushing into the rolling waves, he laughed when she shrieked in disbelief at the spray meeting with a sharp crack. "Heaven knows what I'm going to experience with you in Italy!"

"Howie, you're not going to-- wait. ITALY? WE'RE GOING TO ITALY?!"

"I was thinking about it..." he trailed causually, unable to help the proud grin lighting his handsome face.

"Oh, I would love to go to Italy with you!" she tightened her grip around his neck as the waves rushed around them. Her eyes twinkled while she smiled.

"Are you sure? It would mean taking a long, boring flight over seas with me. Staying at a posh hotel in a single suite with me. Enjoying the sights with me--"

"Being with you is the best part!" Stephanie interupted with a grin. "Italy is the bonus."

"Sure," Howie chuckled, pressing a kiss to her forehead before carrying her from the rising waters. "What are the chances that we can leave in a few days? I thought it'd be nice to get away before I have to go back on tour."

"A few days? But Ana--"

"Well... you had been trying to find a way for her and AJ to spend more time together. Right?"

"Right. But--"

"AJ would have no problem whatsoever moving in with her for the week---"

"An entire week?!"

"How long did you think we would be gone?" Howie chuckled, his ears crinkling from her shriek.

"Ana would not let me go to Italy for an entire week and leave her with AJ..."

"Maybe she'll have a change of heart after today," Howie cupped her cool cheek, his eyes warm and bright. "Please come to Italy with me."

"Italy..." Stephanie repeated with awe, moving her lips to his with a soft kiss. "How could I say no? Even though Ana's going to murder me when we get home."

"Things may just surprise us," Howie rested his forehead against hers as they kissed again.

"What do you mean?"

"J sent me a text message while you were in the bathroom," Howie explained with a wider grin, taking her hand and guiding her down the beach.

"They didn't burn down the house, did they?" Stephanie raised an eyebrow.

"Not that I know of..." Howie trailed, plucking his expensive phone from the back pocket of his jeans. Flipping through his variety of messages, he then handed over his phone. "He wrote 'Score'."

"Score?" she wrinkled her nose in distate at AJ's choice of words. "Wait! You mean they--"

Howie whistled sharply with amusement, "Damn, did you just turn into a nasty girl--"

"HOWARD!" Stephanie smacked his arm.

"What?" he laughed, jerking away from her.

"I am not nasty when it comes to my best friend," she scowled. "Besides, you like it when I'm a little na--"

"Hey! No need to spread the gossip!"

"You're too cute for words sometimes," she laughed, running a hand through her hair to dry it. "So... Ana's finally giving AJ a chance?"

"Maybe more than a chance," Howie answered with a shrug of his shoulders, leading her back to his home when the chill of the air swept through his damp clothing. "Score could mean so many things, right?"

"Well... with that friend of yours... yes," Stephanie answered, shivering a little. She was beginning to think a dip in the ocean wasn't the greatest idea she's had.

"My friend?" Howie snorted. "What about yours?"

"What are you implying, Dorough?"

"That Ana's a pistol!"

"Not a pistol!" Stephanie defended with a scowl, though the corners of her mouth turned into a slight smirk when Howie chuckled. "Damnit, Howie! She's not... I mean... She is... Damnit! She's unpredictable!"

"Exactly! So, do you think they slept together?"

"Since your friend is unpredictable... and my friend is unpredictable... I really don't know, but I think I'll be washing bedsheets tomorrow..."

"AJ might just steal them to commemorate the occasion," Howie stated honestly, guiding her up the steps to his back porch. "He's been nuts about Ana since meeting her... I think obsessed stalker is not a bad term for it."

"I sure hope it's a healthy obsession," Stephanie made a face at the thought of stealing bedsheets after lovemaking.

"Well... My sheets went missing after we--"

"They did not!" Stephanie hurriedly innterrupted.

"Sweetheart, I'm pretty sure I would notice--"

"You're just not funny!"

"Okay, okay," he laughed, sweeping her inside the warmth of his home and ushering her toward the master bedroom. "Let's talk about Italy then. I'd like to leave by Friday."

"Friday will be perfect. My junior editor can watch everything for me while I'm gone," She approved, peeling off her baby blue, lightweight sweatshirt to reveal a form fitting tanktop.

"You're sure?" he asked, glancing briefly toward his lover before sliding his wet jeans away from his cold body. Tossing them into the nearby hamper, he then grasped Stephanie's hips and seated himself at the edge of his bed while drawing her between his legs.

"Positive," she looked down at him and smiled as he unzipped her jeans.

"You'll love Italy," he assured, helping her slide away the damp material before leaning in to place soft kisses over her abdomen while inching up her tank top.

"N-Not as much as I love you," she stuttered, whimpering softly at his touch.

"I love you too," he promised, helping her straddle his lap. Then, tossing the tank top aside, he caught her lips in a passionate kiss, nibbling softly at her bottom lip to entice her further. She moaned and eagerly reciprocated the passion as they kissed again; their tongues entangled in a slow, heated dance.

"I'll get you warm," he promised softly, laying back upon the bed.

"Oh, Howie," she whispered, kissing him again.

"And I'm considering making you come on tour with me," he decided, moving her so she sprawled over the bed. Then, climbing after her, he worked to shed the rest of her clothing, leaving her body bare. Her cheeks were reddened with the bite of the cool winds, only making her appear more lovely. He couldn't resist moving his fingers over her, exploring every inch of skin, allowing the pads of his fingertips to kiss her inner thighs.

"Me? Coming on tour?" she repeated with a squeak as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Yes. I don't think I could stand being away from you for so long--"

"How could I possibly--"

"Write on the road?"

"I would have to talk to all of the employees about this--"

"You can make it happen," Howie explained softly, pressing kisses to her shoulder before slowly moving down her arm. He could feel the faint raise of scars that had long-since been made. He knew that she could feel his scars as well when they made love. But neither mentioned the imperfections. But they did make sure to press delicate kisses over the scars. Apologizing for not being there sooner to prevent each other's pain.

"You really want me to go on tour?" Stephanie whispered, running her fingers through his short curls.

"I really do," he promised, lifting his head to study her stormy blue eyes.

"Well, then... I guess I'll have to look for my replacement and get some assignments to do while on the tour bus," she decided with a smile.

"...Really?"

"Really."

"Sweetheart," Howie crooned with happiness, covering her mouth with his. "Thank God I have my own tour bus!"