- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter was written with the help of Anastacia. Thank you so much, hun! You ROCK! =)
"Oh my Lord... what a night!" Stephanie sighed as she and Ana finally arrived at their apartment. They had stayed at the arena after everyone had left, talking with Howie about everything from favorite songs to traveling around the country. It was an amazing experience and Stephanie knew she would never forget it. She placed all her t-shirts, posters and other memorabilia onto the floor before collapsing on the couch in an exhausted heap.

"A teenybopper's wet dream," Ana agreed as she emptied the pockets of her jeans onto the coffee table. Muffling a yawn against the back of her hand, she then started the ritual of removing her shoes and socks. Then, unbuttoning her jeans, she slid them over her hips to reveal a pair of hot yellow, boy-cut briefs. And shrugging off her button down shirt, she kept on her white ribbed tank. Tossing the clothes aside, she sprawled on the floor of the apartment, reaching underneath the coffee table for her pillows. It was a ritual for her. Every time she came home.

"Women don't have wet dreams," Stephanie groaned with a laugh, reaching for the large blanket she had made a couple of years ago and wrapping it around her worn body. "C'mon, you know you had fun."

"It was interesting," Ana agreed, nodding against her pillows though she was sure Stephanie couldn't see. Not that it mattered, because the message was still received. It wasn't that Ana didn't enjoy the Backstreet Boys' music. In fact, she surely was a loyal fan, but the craziness exuded by her peers was something she didn't desire. In fact, the very thought of meeting the artists sent a knot coiling in her intestines. It was surely hard to explain, but she'd rather keep to herself. Listening to the music on the way to work and when she was having a terrible day satisfied her.

"At least you admit that much," Stephanie smiled, cuddling deep into the soft fabric surrounding her. The Backstreet Boys had done a lot for her throughout her life and to meet Howie, who had done more than he would know, was the icing on the cake. But she understood why Ana wasn't a fanatic like she was and respected it. She opened her cell phone and scrolled through her phonebook, settling on a particular entry. "I still can't believe I got to meet Howie... get an autograph from all the guys... pictures... and then if that wasn't enough, I got serenaded by Howie and got his number. It feels like a dream..."

Ana playfully rolled her eyes as she groaned into her pillow, shifting slightly on the floor. "Do I need to leave you alone to bask?"

"Nuh-uh! But I think I need someone to pinch me in case I'm dreaming-- OW! CT!"

"You said you needed the pinching!" Ana immediately defended as she rolled onto her back, far away from the couch and coffee table.

"I wasn't serious! It's just an expression!"

"But you know I'd do it, like when you said to bite you!"

"How old are you again?" Stephanie groaned, rubbing her arm where Ana had indeed pinched her. It hurt, so at least she knew it wasn't a dream.

"Give or take a few years... Perhaps a little wiser than a fifteen year old, playful as a one year old, and complimented with the temper of a two year old..."

"Yeah, that pretty much sums it all right there," Stephanie giggled turning on her side to face Ana.

"No wonder I can't get a guy interested in me," Ana decided with a dramatic sigh, staring up at the ceiling. Bracing her hands over her trim abdomen, she released the softest of sighs. She wasn't really interest in pursuing a relationship. She was far more content working at the hospital and fulfilling the needs of her patients. Or, at least, that's what she told herself. Too many dark secrets kept her from searching for a lover.

"You can easily get a guy interested in you. But you just choose to keep work as an excuse not to."

"Or maybe I keep work as a crutch so I won't get hurt too bad when a guy completely blows me off?"

"If you keep looking, you'll find a guy who won't blow you off."

"I'm tired of looking."

"You're too young to be tired of looking--"

"Since when did you turn into Dr. Phil?"

"Ana--"

"Look, the way I'm figuring... If I get Howie to light a fire under your ass with all with the start of phone calls... I can get you moved out of this house and get it back to myself. Then I can start to become the crazy cat lady..."

"Ana, you're not going to be the crazy cat lady!"

"But I love cats--"

"I ain't letting you become the crazy cat lady. Besides, who says I'll move out of the house to be with Howie? I don't even know if he'll call--"

"Oh please," Ana groaned, shifting onto her stomach as she thrust her arms beneath the pillows. "Don't start on that, Cocci."

"Don't even start on what? Just 'cause a guy gives you his number doesn't--"

"As much as I hate pulling out the star card..." Ana moved to sit up, wincing slightly as the muscles in her back whined with a burning pain. "Howie has the chance to date pretty much any woman he wants. So, why would he waste his time in making sure he found you after the concert to make sure you exchanged numbers? It's ridiculous to think he doesn't want to get involved."

"But..."

"Stephanie, I love you unconditionally. You are a beautiful person with a wealth of talent. Any man would be lucky to have you. But you have to start believing in that."

"I know... but it's so hard..." Stephanie sighed heavily, closing her cell phone and placing it against her slim stomach. More than anything, she wanted to believe in it.

"I never said it would be easy."

"Nothing is ever easy for me."

"Or for anyone. You got to get through that and think better of yourself."

"Do you ever take your own advice?" Stephanie questioned as she glanced sideways toward her best friend. Ana was an amazingly strong person. She seemed to hold the entire weight of the world on her shoulders, supporting everyone who asked for help. Yet, whenever she looked to help herself, she seemed to drown. She never spoke of the past, nor the future, just ambling through life.

"Tonight ain't about me."

"Why can't it be about you?"

"Because I'm not the one worrying about whether a guy is going to call me?"

"Ana--"

"And I'm tired."

"Ana--"

"Shh. Tired!" Ana snuggled deep into her pillows. "He'll call you, Cocci."

"You're such a pain in my--"

Stephanie's declaration of annoyance ended abruptly with the musical tone of her cellular phone. Grinning with triumph, Ana shifted against her pillows before reluctantly drawing herself up to her feet. "Night, Cocci."

"You're such a--" Stephanie glanced at the caller ID and nearly squealed. "Holy shit, it's him!"

"Answer the phone, dumbass."

"I'm going to get you back--"

"And he's going to hang up."

"Okay, okay!" Stephanie cleared her throat and flipped open her phone. "Hello?"

"Night, Cocci," Ana sang softly, disappearing down the hallway.

"Night, CT," Stephanie smiled before turning her attention back to the phone. "I'm sorry, Ana just went to bed. What were you saying?"

"Hello?" Howie chuckled.

"Oh! Hello again," Stephanie giggled; blushing softly as she curled into the couch with the phone nestled against her ear. "To be honest, I'm surprised you called."

"Why's that?" Howie murmured, his voice tinting with his own surprise.

"Well, I know you're a busy guy and all... you had a long ass night and I figured you would be sleeping--"

"I had to call you."

"You had to?"

"I had to," he confirmed.

"May I ask why?" Stephanie replied shyly, twirling a strand of silky hair around her index finger.

"Because I had to hear your voice again..."

"My voice? What's so great about my voice when you're the singer?"

"You're my knight in shining armor, remember? It's comforting to hear your voice."

"Howie, stop," Stephanie giggled, yet again feeling her cheeks burn. It had been a long time... if ever... that a man had talked to her like that.

"Why?"

"My cheeks are going to be permanently red with all this blushing."

"I bet you look adorable."

"Adorable with tomato red cheeks?"

"I love tomatoes..."

"You're something else," Stephanie groaned with a chuckle.

"I honestly just wanted to call you and thank you for what you did this afternoon. I really appreciated it. Not many people would have... Just, thank you so much."

"I was just doing what I thought was right. You're an amazing and beautiful person, Howie. No one should insult you like that."

"You're amazing and I'd love to show you my appreciation again. Posters, autographs, and pictures just can't justify what you've done for me..."

"Well, what do you have in mind?"

"How about dinner?" The offer almost sent Stephanie falling off the couch.

"Say huh?"

"Dinner? With me?"

"Oh, Howie... I don't know..."

"Why?" He tried not to sound disappointed, but she could hear it.

"No, it's not that. It's just... I recently got out of a really bad relationship and--"

"You're scared?" he guessed easily. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have pushed. I understand--"

"You don't have to apologize, you didn't know. How about instead of dinner, we go dancing? I'll bring Ana... and maybe you could bring AJ for her?"

"Ana..." Howie's voice trailed. "The woman you were with today?"

"Yes, the blonde firecracker."

"She could definitely be AJ's match."

"Really?" Stephanie murmured, hoping she didn't sound too elated with his words. It had been far too long since Ana had been involved in a relationship. Much less even a romantic entanglement. She was so scared of her own shadow, though she loathed to admit such.

"Really. That boys been looking for someone who could give him the excitement he craves... and I think Ana could be that someone. She seemed full of life and spunk," Howie had to smile at her excitement. "I'm guessing you've been trying to set her up for a while?"

"A while? More like years!"

"Years?" Howie chuckled softly. "What's wrong with her?"

"She's just been hurt too many times to care anymore. At least, that's what she shows on the outside. Deep down, I know she wants to find Mister Right."

"Stephanie..." Howie trailed, obviously shocked by her honesty. "I'm sorry, I didn't know--"

"You don't have to apologize," Stephanie interrupted gently. "I mean, if we're going to be friends... we've got to tell each other things, right?"

"Well, yes, but I didn't realize that she..."

"A lot of women out there are like Ana... and myself. No one knows except for the ones who went through it."

"...I would love to go out dancing with you, Stephanie. As long as you're sure."

"I would really like that. You'll bring AJ if I bring Ana?"

"I doubt AJ could ever turn down a night of dancing. Especially with two beautiful women."

"Ooh. Nice line, Rico Suave," she teased.

"I try."

"Determination. I like that."

"Just once of the many services I offer."

"What other services do you have, Mr. Dorough?"

"I'm charming, sweet, appreciative, romantic... God, this conversation has really taken a turn for the worse hasn't it?"

"Now why would you say that?"

"Because I feel like a cornball?"

"Cornball?"

"Is that an old term? Never was one to keep up with the slang... Nick sounds like an Iraqi whenever he speaks to me..."

"Oh! Do you mean like how Brian felt when he dressed up for the "As Long As You Love Me" video? But take your outfit with the big Afro--"

"Like I need to relive that humiliation..."

"Stop it, you looked cute!"

"And you're sickening me!" Ana hollered from somewhere within the darkened hallway. "Go to bed! It's late!"

"Uh-oh... Momma bellows... it's my bedtime," Stephanie chuckled with a roll of her eyes.

"Is she older than you or younger?" Howie inquired with honest curiosity.

"Believe it or not, she's a year younger than I am. Doesn't always act like it, but she tries. Like I said, she'll give AJ a run for his money."

"What should I tell AJ about her?"

"Beautiful... blonde... ambitious... wild... his type of girl but with a sweet side."

"Sounds like one of those late night adds on TV..."

"You asked me to describe her, smartass--"

"You've got a minute and then I'm coming out there to ground you from the phone!" Ana's voice interrupted.

"Ground?" Howie chuckled.

"That's not her usual threat--"

"You're going to be missing fingers in thirty seconds, Cocci!"

"Okay, that's her usual threat. I'll call you tomorrow and figure out the time and where and--"

"Fifteen seconds!"

"Yikes! Sweet dreams, Howie."


~*~*~*~*~


"Can you please remind me what I'm doing?" Ana groaned, walking into Stephanie's room clad in a white tank top and ducky printed boy shorts. That morning, the older woman had conned her into tagging along for a night of dancing with Howie and AJ and as the time neared for them to leave, she was starting to get the twisting sensation in her intestines.

"Getting dressed so we can go out for the night?" Stephanie returned with a teasing sarcasm, shrugging on a sheer black over shirt to compliment the maroon bodice that pushed her peaked breasts up into a sweet cleavage. She had spent the entire morning searching for the perfect outfit to wear out. Had traveled to several different stores till she found the complimenting tops to enhance the wide legged, black pants she had bought months ago. She had been nervous about her initial selection, but had swallowed her fears. She wanted to look good for Howie. To know that she was valued.

"I'd rather get a bottle of tequila and some lemons and get shit-faced in my own damn house," Ana disagreed as she flopped onto her friend's bed, crossing her arms behind her head.

"But you're doing this for me, CT. Remember? You've told me I need to go out and find a guy who is genuinely interested in me as a person. I think I found him... but I want to take it slow. That's why the four of us are going dancing," Stephanie explained, biting on her bottom lip as she looked herself over in the mirror.

"Then we could have easily gone out as a threesome," Ana decided with a grunt, bending her knees so her bare feet flattened on the mattress. When Stephanie had initially told her of the plans, she had laughed. In fact, Ana was convinced that Stephanie was joking until Howie called to verify. Then everything had become startlingly real. Especially as Stephanie primped for the evening. Though, Ana prepared just to wriggle into a pair of jeans before leaving. She wasn't out to impress anyone. Not that she could anyway.

"No, we couldn't have. I think you'll really like AJ. And I want you to give him an honest to God chance," Stephanie turned and shot her a glare of warning.

"I'll be on my best behavior," Ana promised with a sarcastic mocking to her voice.

"Anastacia Grace."

"It ain't like I'm a total bitch, Stephanie, Jesus--"

"I didn't say you were. I'm just saying, give AJ a chance. Alright?"

"...Fine."

"Good. Now go change. And no jeans."

"Bullshit no jeans," Ana muttered as she rolled off the bed.

"We're going to Club Tabu. No one wears jeans in there and I swear on God's green Earth that if I find you wearing--"

"What are you possibly going to do to me?" Ana questioned, far from intimidated as she sauntered through Stephanie's doorway. She heard the smack of the pillow against the far wall and held a satisfied grin. Hopping into her bedroom, she pulled her favorite frayed, ripped, and torn hip-hugging jeans from the foot of her bed. Sliding them onto her hips, she heard the annoying buzz of her front door. Leaving her pants unzipped and halfway up her hips, she went racing down the steps. Jumping up to the door, she unlocked it and yanked it open.

"Whoa! Are you trying to start a new trend?" A pair of wide brown eyes looked Ana up and down with a bewildered gaze.

"Maybe just a fad," Ana decided with a brief shrug of her shoulders, honestly not bothered by the eyes roving her body. She was fully covered up; just her boy cut shorts exposed by her unzipped jeans.

"ANA! STOP MOONING THE GUESTS AND LET THEM IN!" Stephanie's voice hollered from upstairs.

"Like my ass cheeks are hanging out," Ana scoffed as she opened the door wider, gesturing for the men to enter. When they did, she bumped the door with her hip and reached to zipper her pants.

"I wouldn't mind that..." a raspy voice decided.

Ana turned around and raised her eyebrows at the tattooed man in front of her. "Excuse me?"

"God, AJ," Howie groaned in disbelief as he reached to grab the man's upper arm. He pulled him back in full anticipation of AJ meeting Ana's right hook. But she laughed.

"Finally, a man who's got some balls," Ana turned and headed towards the stairs. "Just make yourselves at home, we'll be down in a minute."

"How about you do me a favor and stop flashing those balls, huh?" Howie hissed when Ana had disappeared upstairs. Yanking AJ into the living room, he glared hard at the younger man. Was he trying to embarrass Howie to death?

"Damn, calm down! Don't need you having a heart attack before your knight in shining armor sees you," AJ yelped, fixing his collar as Howie released him.

"Don't mess this up for me--"

"I know how much you're digging this girl and I wouldn't do that to you! I'm not Nick."

"You just have to keep it cool with Ana, y'know--"

"Okay, okay, okay. I get the point. Now will you calm down?"

"Not until..." Howie's sentence trailed off into oblivion as he glanced toward the stairs to see Stephanie approaching. She was gorgeous in her black sheer button down shirt complimenting the dark maroon bodice and matching black wide leg gauchos. Her long platinum locks were loose and falling into wisps of curls. "...Hey, Stephanie... You look fantastic..."

"Yeah?" Stephanie blushed, smiling softly as they hugged.

"Absolutely."

"You look pretty handsome yourself."

"Thanks," Howie whispered as he reached to kiss her cheek, rubbing her back affectionately.

"Are you alright?" Stephanie raised an eyebrow, though she couldn't deny the goosebumps on her arms as he rubbed her back. He really did look handsome, wearing a simple black button down shirt and khaki pants. His curls were gelled and wild, just the way she liked it.

"Fine," he promised, his voice catching.

"Okay..." She shrugged and turned to AJ, holding out her hand to him. "It's nice to see you again, AJ. Well, I only met you for a minute by the busses, but--"

"Hearing Howie talk about you, trust me, we've met more than a minute," AJ promised with a chuckle as he shook her hand. "Thank you for inviting me along."

"Oh, really?" Stephanie smirked as Howie took a turn to blush. "I'm glad you could come with us. Ana doesn't go out very often, especially with a guy, so... I thought this would be a good chance for her. Just don't be surprised if you can't keep up with her."

"Is that a challenge?" AJ questioned in confusion, glancing from his friend to Stephanie. His dark brows furrowed slightly as he tried to remember what Howie had mentioned about the woman that was to be his date for the evening. Firecracker was the only thing that truly came to mind, especially as the woman who had greeted him halfway dressed at the door came rushing down the stairs. Her long golden curls were tossed into a messy bun as just the lightest touch of gloss to her full lips. She had completed her outfit of her torn, ripped, and faded hip-hugging jeans with her white racer back, ribbed tank. Shrugging on a complimenting jean jacket, she smoothed her hands over her thin body.

"Pretty much," Stephanie groaned. No matter how hard she tried, she could never get Ana to dress up at the appropriate times. "Ana, didn't I say you could wear anything but jeans?"

"He's in jeans," Ana reminded, gesturing toward AJ's faded and ripped jeans. "Can't out-dress my blind date which I didn't ask for, can I?"

"Anastacia--"

"Ana," she corrected as she extended her hand toward AJ. She smiled sweetly toward him, knowing she couldn't be ill tempered with a guest. But she wouldn't be swayed in her attire nor her convictions. She had spent her entire life being crushed underneath the weight of others. And she had spent years trying to correct the horrors in her life, yet it didn't seem to work.

"Nice to finally meet the firecracker," AJ smiled, shaking her hand warmly. She was definitely a diamond in the rough and he was intrigued.

"Firecracker?" Ana laughed, glancing toward Stephanie and Howie for confirmation. "What exactly have you been telling him about me?"

"I tell him what she tells me," Howie immediately defended his actions; Stephanie's face was still red from Ana's refusal to even try and dress up just once.

"Well it's the best way to describe you," she shrugged.

"Glad that I'm self-contained into one word," Ana drawled, releasing AJ's hand to tuck a few loose golden curls behind her pierced ears. Moving to yank her Converse shoes from underneath the coffee table, she collapsed on the couch to slip them on. She didn't want to be bothered with romance. She had enough of that with her father. Anything else, whether pure or otherwise, was tainted.

"Let's just get going," Stephanie sighed heavily, turning around to walk out the front door. For years she had tried to find the right man for her best friend, but now it seemed futile. AJ didn't deserve to be pulled in and then pushed out. She was going to have a talk with the younger woman later, whether she liked it or not.


~*~*~*~*~


"Holy... this place is amazing!" Stephanie found herself in awe as they walked into the ritzy and packed club that Howie had opened a few years before. It was one of the most popular places in Florida with a long line every night and they walked in without even a wait.

"We worked hard to make it fantastic," Howie approved as he reached for Stephanie's hand, leading her through the throngs of clubbers. He didn't want her to get lost from his sight, simple bringing her close to his body, weaving her toward a set of iron stairs. "We're going to go up to my private area, alright?"

"How can I say no?" Stephanie smiled, holding his hand tightly as they walked up the stairs. She dared not look down, but kept her mind concentrated on the feeling of his warm skin against hers.

"You always have a right to say no," Howie reminded her as he nodded toward the bodyguards at the top of the stairs leading to a solid oak door. Allowing Stephanie to enter first, Howie glanced back for a moment. "AJ! You coming?!"

"Ana and I will be up in a little bit! She's already out on the dance floor," AJ chuckled, watching the petite blonde woman move her way through the dance floor.

"It's alright that they're down on the dance floor, right? 'Cause, as charming as my best friend is, I doubt he's going to be able to convince Ana to come up with us," Howie explained as he closed the door to his private suite. He had made this special for his closest of friends. A private bar off to the side, leather couches, chairs, and lush pillows spread around the sides with a large dance floor in the center.

"Yeah, it's fine. I was just trying to set Ana up with a nice guy, but of course it backfired. So at least you and I can have fun," Stephanie approved, looking around the posh room. It was breathtaking.

"AJ's a nice guy?" Howie chuckled playfully, though when Stephanie scowled he held his hands up in defense. "He is a nice guy. What's portrayed in the media is just... What's he call it? ...Hype... He deserves a good woman..."

"Ana's a good woman... She's just been tainted by her past. I've been trying to get her some help or help her myself, but she won't have it."

"What happened in her past?" Howie inquired, moving behind the bar to fix himself a drink.

"I don't want to say too much... but her biological father hurt her. A lot," Stephanie followed him to the bar and pulled out a Smirnoff Ice. She popped the cap and took a long drink.

"Oh..." Howie trailed softly, pulling out a bottle of Budweiser.

"Funny how so many people were abused in life and on the outside, you would never know," Stephanie walked over to the dance floor, the bass vibrating the very core of her soul. She closed her eyes and began to dance, letting herself flow with the music.

"Life was never meant to be fair, I suppose..." Howie trailed, taking a long swallow of his drink. He watched as Stephanie moved in the very center of the dance floor. Her hips rocking from side to side with the beat. It was soft movements. Nothing wild nor flirtatious, but the smile on her face... That attracted him...

"No, it really wasn't. But at least there's a time in life where you can forget it all and get lost in music," Stephanie continued to smile, suddenly drinking half of her Smirnoff as she danced.

"Nervous much?" Howie inquired, moving from behind the bar to stand in front of it. He leaned his elbows back against it, just watching. It had been so long since he watched someone else dance.

"Me? Nervous? What would make you say that?" Stephanie opened her eyes and saw him watching her. She looked down at her drink and realized it was almost gone. "Oh, that. I just haven't drank in awhile, that's all."

"So you're just going to overdo it tonight so I have to carry you home, huh?"

"Well, not until you come and dance with me."

"...Huh?"

"I don't know, just come out here. I don't like dancing by myself!" Stephanie laughed, finishing her bottle.

"I think you're drunk," Howie chuckled as he set his bottle down, pushing himself off the bar. Wiping his sweaty hands down his khakis, he approached Stephanie tentatively. He struggled to remember the last time he had danced with a woman that had held a romantic interest in his heart. It had just been so long.

"Buzzed, not drunk. Big difference," Stephanie began dancing a little bit more seductively, beckoning him with a smile. For once, she was throwing her insecurities out the window.

"Buzzed is just not part of a Backstreet vocabulary..." Howie decided as he held his breath.

"Soon it will be if you keep hanging out with me," Stephanie laughed again, dancing towards him to break the ice. "Come on, I know you're the best dancer in the group."

"I'm not the best..."

"I think differently. Why don't you come and show me?"

"Just don't laugh..."

"I would never laugh."

"Take it easy on me, too," Howie chuckled nervously, reaching for her hands to draw her close into his embrace.

"I will," Stephanie promised as he wrapped her arms around his neck.

"If only the club played slow songs," Howie chuckled, looping his arms about her waist to pull her closer. It seemed as if her body melted against his as they swayed slowly, not caring for the rapid beats of the music. It was almost as if they were dancing to their own soundtrack. The rhythm of their beating hearts.

"We can make our own music," Stephanie whispered.

"I don't know if I--"

"Your music is beautiful, Howie. Everything about you is beautiful."

"No one's ever said that to me before..." Howie trailed, pulling his head back to meet her gaze.

"Then I'm glad that I'm the first to tell you," she smiled softly, running her fingers through his curls as her blue-gray eyes sparkled.

"Me, too," Howie confessed with the softest of smiles, reaching to cup her face within his hands. Her skin felt like the softest piece of velvet to his fingertips. His body overwhelmed with the sensual delights and he couldn't resist. Deciding to take a chance, he leaned in to seek her lips with his, moaning softly when she reciprocated the passion.