- Text Size +
Part 1

“I’ll be fine, B!” Nick exclaimed for the sixth time, watching his two year old niece, Erica, playing silently upon the floor with her jumbo sized building blocks. He couldn’t help but notice that other than a small mess of the blocks surrounding her, the house was almost spotlessly clean. She seemed too caught up in what she was doing to even notice her mama was about to leave and her uncle Nick was going to take over for a little while. Nick smiled at the child, whom looked very much like her mother. He’d only seen her twice in his life before with his busy schedule, those being the day Erica was born and then again on her one year birthday party, “She’ll be a sweetheart. Everything will go great.”

Nick’s oldest sister, BJ looked at him cautiously, almost as if she didn’t believe him. After all, Nick wasn’t exactly the best suited for the job, but he had been her only hope as a last minute resort. There was an audition for a movie in town that she’d just found out about and since she was trying to further her career as an actress, BJ knew she had to get there quickly. Time was running out though, she realized, looking down at her watch. Were there any other options? Anything at all? Should she trust her brother?

“Maybe I could call Ursula from next door...” BJ offered with a weak smile, her stomach in knots over this, “She could help you.”

“Isn’t Ursula like, eighty?”

“Um, yeah..but she usually watches Erica while I’m out.”

Nick shook his head, “Old people compared to me?” Nick gave his sister a big, cheesy grin, holding his arms up as if trying to prove his point, “Lady will put poor Erica to sleep...or she will fall asleep and who knows what will happen. I on the other hand, am young, and full of energy, and can keep an eye on your precious daughter.”

“I don’t know, Nick...” BJ sighed and nibbled on her bottom lip as if trying to make up her mind, “She knows all of Erica’s favorites. She could help...”

Nick scanned his brain for something, anything, for his sister to just believe in him. He was getting the feeling that he wasn’t trusted and wasn’t really wanted there. That feeling hurt, and he wanted to prove once and for all he could be a good babysitter. Why did everyone always think he was so incapable of handling everything by himself?

“C’mon...the old bat probably scares the hell out of Erica. I mean, Ursula? Isn’t that the wicked witch from The Little Mermaid?” Nick questioned.

At the mention of her favorite movie, Erica’s head shot up. Her lip was quivering slightly though, her body frozen in place for a second.

“NO Ursula!” she pouted, “No!”

BJ rolled her eyes, “Thank you Nickolas. You’ve probably just made her fear about the kindest old lady in the world.”

Nick shrugged, “Ah well...had to happen sometime,” he stated. This caused his sister to give him a firm slap on the arm. He yelped as he drew back cowardly, nursing the place she’d struck, looking back down at his niece. She was back to playing again, “She’s forgotten all about it already.”

“Yeah, until the next time Ms. Ghetty comes over...” she used the old woman’s last name this time so that Erica wouldn’t know whom they were speaking of.

“Don’t you have an audition to get to.”

“Oh shit.” BJ yelped, looking down at her watch. She should have left five minutes ago, “Um..oh God...Feed her at around seven...emergency contacts are on the fridge. Her favorite books are the My Little Pony series...so pick one to read before bed. Ummm...G rated movies Nick, I mean it...”

“I’ll be fine. We'll have fun,” he interrupted her, following his sister to the garage door of her home, “You’ll come back and feel like a total tard for worrying so much," He gave her an assuring smile, " Have fun and good luck..”

“I feel like a total tard leaving her with you.” BJ muttered to herself as she grabbed her keys from her purse and slipping through the door. Then she was gone.

Sighing in relief, Nick watched out the window until his sister pulled out of the driveway and her car was out of sight. He smiled as he turned around, seeing Erica still busying herself with the blocks, concentrating hard on stacking them up. Walking over to her with a much felt confidence, Nick, knelt down next to her

“Hi there,” He stated, “Want me to help you with that?”

Erica smiled sweetly at Nick, handing him a big red block. Nick gladly accepted, feeling that everything was going to turn out alright. Little did he know, Erica had other plans in store for him...

Many plans.

please let me know what you think so far. It will get way funnier. I promise!