- Text Size +
Part 4

“Son of a fucking bitch.” Nick cursed, kicking the ground in attempt to kick a stone, but he stubbed his toe instead, hopping around on his good foot as he cursed out in pain. He wanted to strangle Erica, whom he could hear giggling again. Did this demon offspring really get pleasure out of torturing him? Was this payback for all of the pranks he had pulled on his friend and family? Nick didn’t know, but this was twisted. This was just too much for him to handle.

Once the pain in his foot subsided, he took in a deep breath, turning to face his car. His face paled again though as he realized it hadn’t been some sort of mind game. Tears caught in his throat as his bottom lip started to quaver. He dove down to ground level, softly running his fingers over the once perfect paint job.

“My c-c-car..”He cried out.

“Pwetty Awt!” Erica grinned, taking the rock back to the vehicle.

Nick ignored her though as he just stared in a trance at his car, the drivers side completely ruined. Erica had taken a rock, scratching back and forth, up and down, as hard as she could, scribbling a series of deep scratches in to the red paint. It was a mess and Nick couldn’t help but wonder if it could even be fixed and how much it would cost. Not like that was an issue, but his car looked trashed.

“You are like something out of the Exorcist.” Nick mumbled, unable to move, for he was paralyzed by anger and frustration. He wondered where Erica’s usual babysitter was or if he were to just leave, if somebody would pick her up and hold her until his sister got home. Nick knew though that he couldn’t do that, and panicked when he looked down and Erica was gone, “Oh God!” Nick moaned, looking around in a frenzy. He saw her already out of the driveway an walking down the sidewalk. Nick sighed, running after her. Erica’s pace quickened, but not fast enough, for Nick caught up to her and scooped the laughing girl in to his arms, “You, little one, are nothing but trouble.” Nick told her as he carried her back to the car. He was desperate to get her out of the house.

Nearing the car, Nick unlocked the door with his remote key, buckling Erica in to the back seat before getting in himself. He looked back at her in the rearview mirror, wondering if he should tie her hands and feet together so she couldn’t do anything to the inside of the car. He had nothing though, and figured that the little girl was clean too. Turning on his music, Nick ignored the child in the back seat, not even thinking of the explicit lyrics coming from the artists mouth. He sang along, turning the music up to try and work out his nerves. Music always did that, but one look in to the back seat and he tensed again, his fingers gripping the steering wheel.

Nick didn’t know where he was going or how far he would drive to get there. All that mattered was that he was away from the house. Erica couldn’t destroy the place any longer. What was on his mind now though was how he was going to clean the place before his sister returned home or explain to her what had happened. In BJ’s mind, Erica was nearly the perfect little angle. To Nick, she was th spawn of Satan. Then again, Nick was still convinced that Erica was out to get him.

After about fifteen miles, Nick spotted a Dairy Queen. He sighed in relief, pulling in to the parking lot, hoping that if he treated the rotten child, she might actually behave for him for the rest of the night, if not, a few minutes. He didn’t even stop to think that injecting sugar in to the already hyper-active child’s system might do even more damage. So without that in mind, he got her out of the car and carried her in to sugar infested restaurant and up to the counter.

“Want chocolate or vanilla?” Nick asked her.

“Nilla!” Erica cried out in excitement.

Nick ordered each of them a bowl of vanilla ice cream and the cashier handed them to Nick. Erica immediately started to throw a fit though.

‘Spinkles!!!” she shouted.

“No, no sprinkles today.” Nick told her.

Erica started to thrash her body around in her arms, knocking both cups out of Nick’s hands. They landed upside down on the floor making a mess for somebody to clean up. Nick wondered if there was anywhere they could go without her causing chaos. He guessed that any type of store was out of the question. Especially someplace that had class within

“Wan spinkles!” Erica screamed in a high pitched shriek, causing Nick to wince and looks to shoot in their direction from all around. Everybody looked disgusted by the fit the toddler was throwing, “I WAN SPINKELS!”

Nick took in a deep breath, his face flushing red in complete humiliation. This was a total nightmare and he knew that Erica would not let up unless he gave her her own way. Nick knew that giving in to her was not the way to teach the girl, but he was desperate. There was plenty of time to not spoil the child. Besides, she was still young. She wouldn’t remember this in a week. Nick’s only goal was to survive the rest of the day...not teach his niece right from wrong.

“Fine....” he turned to the cashier whom was glaring at Nick and the kid, “One small, one large...again....small with sprinkles.”

The girl rang them in and Nick paid, slipping in a ten dollar tip for the trouble. While they were being made, Nick carried Erica to an empty table, strapping her in to a high chair. He then went back and wiped up the mess on the floor as best he could before grabbing the ice creams and carrying them back to the table. Erica immediately dug in to hers, it getting all over around her face, ice cream goo dripping on to her clothes. Nick shook his head, wondering if he could have anything else go wrong.

That’s when he had an idea. It had to work, as that’s what they were there for. Helping people in emergency situations. To Nick, this was definitely an emergency. So he whipped out his cell phone and keyed in the well known three-digit number, bringing the phone to his ear just as Erica flung a spoon-full of ice cream through the air, it hitting the wall with a messy splat.