- Text Size +
Part 6

Nick sighed in relief upon returning back to the home of his sister and Satan. It was all he could do not to throw Erica out of the window and he honestly asked himself why he didn’t, for she’d shrieked in such a high pitched tone the entire car ride that Nick had feared that the windows would crack. He knew that he couldn’t take that in to public. No, that would have gotten him banned from several places. Nick didn’t want to be forbidden to go anywhere, so he decided that it was just best to go home. Surprisingly, he was glad to be back. There would be less area to cover if the child got in to anything she shouldn’t be in...and Nick knew that she would cause more chaos.

Getting out of the car, Nick went to the back seat and got her out, carrying the child in to the house and placing her on the couch. He then went and selected the first movie that he saw, Chucky, hoping that it was suitable for her, or if nothing else, scared her in to behaving...

Or it could give her ideas for him...

Nick dismissed that thought though as he put the DVD in to the player, starting it from the beginning. He turned down the lights and he shuddered when he thought he saw Erica’s eyes glowing at him in the dark. Nick quickly turned away, shaking his head. His mind was just playing tricks on him...wasn’t it? Nick honestly didn’t know, but this babysitting mess had started out as a nightmare and would end just the same.

“Sit here and watch the movie...” Nick told her, his voice slightly shaky. He wanted to slap himself. He was afraid of a toddler for crying out loud. This wasn’t just any baby though. Nick was still convinced of this, “I’m going to make us some diner, okay?”

Erica just stared at Nick and he could swear that he saw her eyes glimmer. Nick backed away, quickly retreating to the kitchen to fix up something quick, deciding Macaroni and Cheese would be the way to go and something that would be eaten at that. He only got the water boiling on the stove though before he heard a crash coming from another room. Nick closed his eyes and took in a deep breath as another crash was heard.

‘You’ve got to be shitting me.” he murmured under his breath, quickly dumping the noodles in to the pot to cook as he went to see what had happened.

Not to his surprise, Erica was not in the living room watching the movie. Nick should have seen that coming from a mile away, but did he ever learn? Nope! He just kept on letting somebody twenty-three years younger than him walk all over him again and again, thinking that just maybe she would wear down on energy and just sit still. Nick was starting to see that Erica would never grow tired and was convinced that she ran on a Duracell battery.

“Erica,” Nick cried out, “Where are you?”

He walked around, finding immediately where she’d been, finding all of her toys knocked off of the shelves and pulled out of the toy boxes in her room...just as the garage door was opening. Nick’s eyes widened as he let out a long, slow breath of panic. BJ was home...and her daughter was missing. In a frenzy, Nick started to tear through the house in search of his niece, knowing that he only had a minute, if not less, to find her. He knew that he was too late though when he heard his sisters voice coming from the front of the house.

“Oh my God.”

Nick winced, stopping in his tracks. He was caught, and found himself mechanically walking slowly to the plank to meet up with BJ and face his sentence for the crime he’d committed. And when he saw his sisters face, Nick knew that she was not happy, as her hands were crossed over her chest, her face contorted in to an angry glare.

“I can explain...” Nick guilty piped up without even being asked, then wanted to kick himself for sounding so shamed.

What?” BJ asked, “That you left the stove on?” she didn’t give him the chance to reply, “There is water boiling over all over the floor! The house could have burned down. What the hell were you thinking?”

Nick blinked, looking towards the pot. His breath caught in his throat as he saw that sure enough, water was spilling over the edge of the pot and streaming on to the floor. BJ swiftly turned it off and right away, the madness on the stove stopped and went calm again. Nick cringed though, as now she would ask where Erica was, and to be honest, he did not know. His sister was already going through the house though looking, and Nick followed, ready to explain everything. BJ didn’t give him the chance to, as she flipped the light on, looking at the TV.

“I thought I told you a G rated movie, Nick,” she sounded annoyed, “I swear, you can’t do anything right.”

She turned the movie off, shaking her head as she turned around and smiled, walking over to the couch and sitting down. Confused, Nick walked around himself to see what BJ was smiling at. He let out a huff of air, as it was Erica, curled up on the couch in a small ball, fast asleep...or pretending to be was Nick’s guess. Was this for real?”

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” Nick grunted, “She’s been a holy terror all night.”

“Shhh,” BJ scolded, “She’s sleeping like an angel. Erica has never misbehaved. I told you Ursula should have helped you.”

“But..” Nick tried

“Erica is a well-behaved child. Trust me...I have raised her.”

Nick rolled his eyes, knowing that BJ was set on thinking that Erica was the perfect little princess who would never do bad. Nick knew better though. As soon as her mommy left, she turned in to something immortal.

“Whatever you say...” Nick let his voice trail off as he ran a hand through his hair.

BJ picked Erica up, letting her head rest on her shoulder. It was obvious that his sister was going to put the small girl in to her bed. Nick’s eyes widened, not wanting any part in what BJ found around the house.

“I’m going to go,” he said, backing up, “It’s late and I have stuff to do tomorrow...” he nearly tripped over something on the floor.

“Okay...” BJ raised an eyebrow quizzically, “Thanks for watching her for me.”

“No problem..hope the audition went well...” he was still backing up, “Bye!” and with that, Nick turned and ran full force out of the house, digging his keys out of his pocket on his way out before his sister found the mess and he was blamed for everything.

Here is the final installment of Nick's adventures babysitting....lol. Hope you enjoyed the story and please let me know what you thought!