- Text Size +
Chapter 14

“What happened? Where‘s Joel?” Benji asked as the both of us ran down the stairs. I was gripping his arm tightly and standing slightly behind him, wanting to see what had happened but also wanting to be shielded from it.

“I don’t know exactly,” Billy answered. “We heard something outside and Joel went to go check it out and next thing I knew, he was running after some guy screaming.”

“He probably woke half the damn neighborhood so who ever it was won‘t get far,” Paul chimed in. Benji nodded at him and then turned his head slightly to look back at me.

“What happened?” Ali asked as she made her way down the stairs.

“We think someone tried to break into the house,” Billy answered and a look of nervousness washed over my sisters face. “Joel went after him though.”

“Get the fuck inside,” we heard Joel’s angry voice demand as he pushed a young man into the house. Benji immediately went to go aide his brother, with the rest of us following him with curiosity.

“Look mister, I’m sorry,” the guy pleaded as Joel continued to shove him into the house.

“Yeah, you’re gonna be real fucking sorry when I’m done with you!” Joel replied, his voice oozing with anger. I thought that if we didn’t get to Joel soon he may as well kill whoever it was that he caught.

“Mark!” Ali suddenly called out when she was finally able to get a clear look at who it was that Joel had captured.

“You know him?” Joel asked my sister seriously.

“Yeah, he’s my boyfriend,” she answered nervously, biting her lip.

“Boyfriend? What the fuck was he doing?” I yelled, my initial fear had faded and now I was angry. This whole incident had scared the shit out of me. I thought that my nightmare had come true and my attacker had found us and was here to take his revenge on me and kill us all. I was convinced that all of this was going to end in blood shed and here I find out that it was just my sisters boyfriend trying to sneak into the house.

“I was trying to get upstairs,” he said softly. “I wanted to see her.”

“That doesn’t mean you try to break into my fucking house!” I yelled, not caring any more. Ali knew what kind of position I was in but was the least of it. How could my own sister, the one that I’ve been taking care of since our parents died, lie to me and try to sneak boys into her room at night. I was more angry at her for thinking that she could do something like this and not get caught. I was angry at her for betraying my trust in such a huge way. Hell, I was just fucking angry.

“I wasn’t breaking in…” he attempted to defend himself, but I didn’t give him the chance.

“Like hell you weren’t!! What the fuck do you call trying to enter someone’s house without their permission. I don’t give a shit if you had Alana’s permission or not, you didn’t have MY permission and it’s my fucking house!!”

“Angie…” my sister said softly, obviously trying to calm me down.

“I don’t want to hear it Alana!” I yelled. “You’re grounded indefinitely!”

“What? That’s not fair!”

“Like hell it isn’t fair!” I yelled back. “And you….. You’re lucky that I’m just going to call your mother and not the police, but if I catch you trying to do this shit again, I WILL call the cops and I WILL press charges. You got that?” I said sternly to Mark.

“Yes ma’am,” Mark replied softly, his eyes on the ground.

“Angie, go up stairs, I’ll take care of this,” Joel said to me. I looked at him for a moment, his eyes were pleading with me to just go upstairs and relax. I kept my eyes locked with his for a moment longer before I nodded gently. I was too angry at the moment to think clearly. I was still stuck on the idea that he could have easily been my attacker instead of my sisters boyfriend.

“Come on, lets go upstairs,” Benji said as he wrapped his arm around my waist and started to guide me towards the stairs. I was still in shock about what had just happened. I never expected my sister to do something like that. I sighed as I felt Benji’s hand gently rubbing the small of my back, as if he was trying to calm me down. Right now, it wasn’t working, I was just too wound up for anything to relax me at the moment.

“UUUUGGGG I’m so fucking pissed,” I announced when Benji and I reached my bedroom and the door was shut behind us.

“I know,” Benji replied, his voice was so soft and gentle that I wasn’t even sure that I had even heard it at first. “Why don’t you lay down, I’ll rub your back, that’ll help you relax.”

“I’m gonna need more than a back rub to fucking relax,” I replied, starting to pace my room. Benji just watched me as I moved from side to side, his eyes showing real concern and a desire to help me. I bit my lip as I looked at him looking at me. He kept his eyes locked with mine. Swiftly, I moved towards him and pushed him down onto the bed and climbed on top of him.

“Woah, what the hell are you doing?” Benji questioned, obviously shocked by my actions. I answered by smashing my lips against his. My hand moved between our bodies and I gripped onto his boxers, attempting to yank them down. That’s when I felt Benji grab my arm in an attempt to stop me. “Stop it,” he said after he turned his head, breaking the contact between our lips.

“Just shut up Benjamin,” I demanded as I continued my attempt to strip him.

“Angela, stop it. I like it rough but you’re not ready for this,” he said to me, it was obvious that he was trying to keep his voice down as he spoke. “Besides, I don’t want you to regret our first time together.”

“Who are you to tell me if I’m ready or not!” I demanded as I rose from the bed, angry at Benji for only being rational and caring about me. At that moment, I was just so angry at everything that had just happened, everything I had gone through that I was unfairly taking it out on Benji. “Benji, I’m sorry...” I said pathetically as I broke eye contact with him.

“What the hell got into you?” Benji asked gently, losing all evidence of the slight anger that his voice had held only seconds ago. I looked back up at him and felt tears starting to form.

“I….. I.. Just… I don’t know,” I stuttered. He rose from my bed and walked over to me and wrapped his arms around me. “Benji, I’m so sorry.”

“It’s okay,” he replied, though I wasn’t convinced.

“No, its not,” I contested. “How can what I just did be okay? I don’t even know what the hell came over me.”

“You’ve just got a lot of shit to deal with right now so its okay not to know what to do all the time,” Benji assured me. “And that’s why I’m here. I want to make sure that you make all the right decisions.”

“That’s no excuse for what I did.”

“Nothing happened,” Benji said. “We stopped it before it could.”

“What do you mean we? You stopped it!” I said to him, pulling away from his arms. “If you weren’t such a good guy I would have made a huge fucking mistake.”

“Well, I am a good guy and you didn’t make that mistake,” he assured me, trying to pull me back into his arms to comfort me. I stepped away again.

“Benji, this isn’t going to work. I think it’s better if you just left,” I said wrapping my arms around myself in an attempt to protect myself.

“What are you talking about?” Benji asked, not really comprehending what I was saying.

“I’m saying that this relationship isn’t going to work. I’m just gonna fuck everything up. It’s better if we both went out own separate ways before either of us gets hurt,” I said, fighting the tears that were threatening to escape from my eyes. I wanted to be strong while I did this because I knew if I showed any weakness, Benji would act on it and I wouldn’t be able to go through with this. “So just leave.”

“No,” he answered sternly. “I’m not leaving.”

“Don’t be like that Benji, just leave, please.”

“No,” he repeated. “I can’t do that. Not now.”

“Benji please just leave before I scream,” I threatened. He raised an eyebrow at my words and stared at me for a moment, thinking about the situation.

“What do you mean scream?” he asked carefully.

“I’ll scream for help,” I replied. I didn’t want to do that. I didn’t want anything bad to happen to Benji but I wanted him to leave me alone. I looked at him as he stood only about two feet away from me.

“Fine,” he finally answered. “I’ll leave.”

“Thank you,” I whispered at Benji started to gather his clothes and leave my room and possibly my life.