- Text Size +
Chapter 2

I’ve never been inside of a police station before in my life. There had never been a time when I needed to be. Not even after my parents died. The police had come to me at my house and told me the news. I had never been so heartbroken in my life. It was like at that moment, everything stopped. I felt that again tonight. It was like my life was frozen at the moment that this had all begun. I kept replaying the events over in my mind, thankful that I hadn’t been raped but scared at the fact that I had been abducted off of the middle of the side walk. How could that have happened? How could no one have seen anything. I mean if someone had saw something, they would tried to help me, right?

I sniffled, tears had been streaming down my face. I felt violated and I felt unsafe even surrounded by all of the police officers in the station. Why should I feel safe anymore? I’d believed that I was safe when I was walking down the street but that had all ended. It was as though I felt that I couldn’t be safe anywhere, no matter what. I sighed as I wiped the tears from my face with the sleeve of Benji’s hoodie. I needed to find Benji so I could give him his hoodie back and thank him once again for saving my life. I knew that he was still here because I could see Joel talking to the sketch artist. He looked so serious and he seemed to be thinking out his responses to make sure that every detail was correct.

I smiled quickly to myself, these guys were so amazing. They must be angels. That’s all I could imagine them to be. They were at the right place at the right time because God had put them there to save me. I wrapped my arms around myself as I let my eyes scan over the room. I was looking for any of the other guys but I couldn’t find them. I guess the police wanted to question them about what they saw, which wasn’t much. Benji and Joel had seen the most.

“Are you okay?” A male voice suddenly asked, startling me. I turned to see that Benji had taken a seat next to me on the bench and was looking at me with concern in his eyes.

“Yeah, I’m alright,” I replied softly as I looked into his eyes. He had very beautiful eyes. They were an amazing chocolate shade and looking into them made me feel safe. He smiled at me. Man, he had an amazing smile also. Actually, he was very good looking. His arms were covered with tattoos, he even had some on neck. I was never big on tattoos but on him, they were amazingly sexy. He had three piercings on his lower lip and one on his upper lip. Part of me just wanted to bend over and kiss them. I shook the thought from my head. I had just met this man, I shouldn’t be thinking about him in that way, especially not after what happened. Shouldn’t I be pushing people away from me right now?

“I just want to thank you again,” I said, ignoring my thoughts.

“Hey, don’t worry about it. Like I said before, I’m just glad that we were able to help you before anything worse could happen to you,” he told me with a reassuring smile. God, I was going to hate it when I had to leave the police station because I knew that I would probably never see Benji again. I suppressed a sigh.

“Benji, you saved my life back there,” I told him seriously and he looked down at the ground. “That guy would have killed me, I know he would have. He wasn’t going to just let me escape because he knew that I would have gone to the police. I owe my life to you. There aren’t enough words in the world for me to describe how grateful I am for everything that you and the other guys have done for me.”

“I only did what was right,” he replied, looking up into my eyes. Oh man, there are those beautiful eyes again.

“I know you did, but there are people out there that wouldn’t have stopped when they heard me screaming,” I told him sadly. “I had been screaming for a long time, I’m sure someone had heard me but no one did anything about it until I saw you guys.” Tears had started to roll down my cheeks again. Benji reached out and rubbed his thumb across my cheek to wipe away the tears then he let his hand rest on my cheek. I closed my eyes and sighed at the warmth. I opened my eyes when he took his hand away from my face.

“So, did you call anyone to come pick you up?” he questioned.

“No,” I answered. “I called my sister at my house to let her know where I was but she didn’t answer the phone, she must have gone to one of her friends houses.”

“Oh. How old is your sister?” he asked.
“She’s sixteen.”

“Did you call your folks? Maybe they could and get you.”

“My parents died a few months ago,” I told him, memories of the night coming to my mind yet again. I blinked my eyes to keep tears from forming.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know…. I didn’t mean to bring up any bad memories or anything,” he said apologetically.

“It’s alright,” I told him with a small smile. Man, he was so sweet.

“I could give you a ride home,” he said suddenly.

“Really?”

“Yeah, I mean it won’t be that big of a deal,” he replied. “It’s better than you having to sit here for hours before you can get home.”

“I really appreciate that Benji,” I replied. “You know, I wish we had met under different circumstances.” He looked at me, surprised, taken back by my statement. “I mean you’re such a great guy, a great person and I’d really like us to be friends but it would be a little weird considering how we met.”

“Why would it be weird?”

“I don’t know,” I stated. “I guess it would just feel weird knowing that you saved my life. I’d always feel like I owed you something.”

“You don’t owe me or the other guys anything,” he stated. “We were just doing the right thing like I said. But if you do want to give us something, how about a hug and we’ll call it even.” I smiled at his kindness. I was beginning to like him more and more, and even though I had only known him a couple of hours I felt somehow connected to him.

“That’s hardly even.”

“It’s good enough,” he said with a goofy smile on his face. I laughed. It was the first time that I had laughed since this whole thing had began and it felt great. Benji made me feel great. Stop it, I scolded myself. I couldn’t let myself think about Benji like that. I didn’t know anything about him and here I was jumping to some sort of puppy love state. It’s stupid, I know. Part of me couldn’t help it though. How often are you saved by the most amazing looking person you’ve ever seen? It’s hard not to be attracted to them. It would have been hard not to be attracted to Benji if I had just seen him walking down the street but that sort of hero façade that I subconscious associated him with only made him that more irresistible. “So, when am I gonna get that hug?”

“How ‘bout now?” I said leaning over to wrap my arms around him. He quickly wrapped his arms around my tiny body and I immediately felt safe and protected. I sighed into his chest. He smelt good, I thought to myself.

It’s strange, people usually find warmth and comfort in the arms of someone the trust, they love, they know, but here I am in the arms of a stranger feeling comforted. Comfort that I didn’t have a moment ago even though I’m in a police station surrounded by men and women who were trained to protect the public in every way imaginable. I sighed into Benji’s chest, once again taking in his scent, he really did smell good. He kept his arms around me, I guess he knew I found comfort in them because he pulled me a little closer and a little tighter. Benji then lightly pressed his lips to the top of my head.

“Everything is going to be alright,” Benji whispered.

“How can you be so sure? I mean I know this incident is over, but what if there’s a next time? What if I’m not so lucky? What if next time no one’s there to help me.”

“There isn’t gonna be a next time honey,” Benji said, keeping his voice a whisper. “You know why? Because you’re a smart woman and you’re gonna learn what to look out for so no mother fucker is going to be able to put a finger on you and if he does, he’s gonna be sorry because you’re gonna kick his ass and I’m gonna be right there behind you.”

“Don’t make promises that you can’t keep Benji,” I warned. “You’re not always going to be there and I’m not always going to be able to take care of myself, that’s just the harsh and plain truth.” Benji sighed and I felt his hand gently glide up and down my back.

“Angela, don’t make things worse than they are,” he replied. “You’re looking for the worse case scenario and you’re just scaring yourself for no reason.”

“Benji…”

“Shh,” he interrupted me. “Please just think about that, alright? I understand where you’re coming from and why you’re thinking the way you are but please, don’t worry yourself too much because I would hate to see you do that to yourself, I just want to make sure that you can be happy again.”

“You’ve never seen me happy.”

“Yeah, but I’m gonna,” he said with a grin. “You’re not gonna be able to get rid of me until then.” I laughed quietly to myself.

“Is that a threat or a promise?”

“A threatening promise,” he answered, his grin getting goofier.

“So, when are you going to take me home?”

“As soon as Joel can leave. He doesn’t have a way to get back because I told the other guys that they could leave just before I came to talk to you,” he explained.

“How do you guys know each other?”

“Me and Joel?”

“You and everyone.”

“Joel’s my identical twin brother..”

“Twin?” I interrupted. He looked at me questioningly, it was as if he was surprised by the fact that I had been surprised that he had told me that he and Joel were twins.

“Is that so hard to believe?”

“No, it’s just you two don’t seem very identical.”

“We are. We used to look identical when we were younger because we dressed kinda similar and I didn’t have all the facial piercings,” he explained.

“Oh.”

“And um, Joel and I went to high school with Paul and Billy, where we started our band.”

“You guys are a band?”

“Yeah,” he answered stopping the movement of his hand. “We’re actually kinda popular.”

“Really? How popular?”

“MTV popular.”

“You guys are on MTV?”

“Yep.”

“That’s really cool,” I replied. “My sister would probably have heard of you then. I just don’t listen to much music, I don’t have the time any more and when I did listen to music, I wasn‘t the kind that would recognize a member of a certain band or a singer if I saw them.”

“Hey, I’m free!!!” Joel announced, overly dramatizing the word free. I giggled. “Ahh, so she can laugh!”

“You guys ready to go?” Benji asked.

“Hell yeah,” I answered, as I unwillingly pulled away from Benji and from the safety of his arms. “I just want to get the hell out of here and go home.”