- Text Size +
CHAPTER 24

Katherine walked into the mansion a short time later and left to find Bianca. She walked down the long hallway and saw that Bianca was sitting in her room.
“Mistress, I wanted to be sure if it was all right.”
“All right for what?” Katherine asked, looking down at Angelina.
“Give her your journal. She must learn who you are, before she can truly trust you.”
“She knew before I turned her.”
“No, she didn’t. She told me that she was seeing a façade that you had put up for everyone. Many of us still don’t know the true you.”
“Give her the journal. I am going to be in my spell room. I have a spell to work on.”
“Yes mistress.” Angelina replied, she reached into the small room and pulled the dusty journal from its hiding place. She turned and walked into Bianca’s room and slowly closed the door. Bianca looked up at her from her place on the large bed, she could see the journal in her hand and wondered what it was for.
“What is that?”
“I’ve been given permission for you to read this. You want to learn more about Mistress Katherine, then you will learn. Inside these pages are the thoughts and feelings of Katherine from when she was a child until she became the demon she is today. She has not entered any thing in it in a great many years, but you will learn much from what is written within these dusty pages.” Angelina said handing her the large book. Bianca took the book and ran her finger over the crest that was raised up from the leather cover; it was Katherine’s family crest that meant the book had been given to her when she was a child by her parents. Parents that many of the vampires that resided within the walls of the mansion knew nothing about. She had asked about Katherine’s past, but none knew. Katherine was very secretive and maybe it was time that Bianca learned that secret. Bianca decided that she would change first and then read the journal. She moved around the screen and slowly stripped of her cloths, she reached around and slipped a silken robe on walking across the room she slowly stepped into the large claw foot tub as she let the hot water wash around her pale skin. She looked toward the leather bound journal and closed her eyes, she wasn’t going to read it until she had cleaned and readied herself for bed.


Katherine walked into her spell chamber and closed and locked the door behind her. She walked to the alter and opened the leather bound book that sat on it, lighting the three dragon shaped candles, she closed her eyes and began to chant. Her words unrecognizable and if anyone heard they could not understand. She recited the words she had read from the book a million times. She opened her eyes and pulled the ingredients from the pouch next to the large golden bowl and began dropping them inside. Smoke slowly came from the bowl as she added each ingredient. Her eyes seemed to almost glow as she added the ingredients to the potion, the potion that would end her suffering for now. The three hundred year sleep, a sleep spell that was forbidden to speak a spell that was never to be used. But this was a good reason to use it, Nickolas needed to be removed from the world.

Bianca looked at the book that was sitting on her bed, she had finished bathing and dressing. She walked over and climbed under the large blankets and lifted the book, she knew that she had time before sunrise to do some reading. She slowly slid the ribbon off the book and opened the cover.
April 12th
It seems that father is angry again. He is always angry since mother died. I feel that he blames me for her death, but I could do nothing to save her. She was very ill and had been for a long time. I am always hiding in my small room, sleeping on the floor of our small home. Father says that he will want to remarry, but mother was the love of his life and he’s unsure if he can find someone as good for his children. My sister understands that mother died because she was sick, but father is another story. I am wishing father would have died instead, he would leave me alone. Sister is always saying that I must hide from father, she can’t handle the thought of me getting another beating. We live in the palace with my uncle, maybe he will help me. The wizard is a nice old man, he is showing me how to do magic.
Katherine
Bianca wondered if because of her wish that her father was dead, if that meant her father had died. She turned the page and began reading again
April 22nd
Yes it’s been a while since I’ve written in my journal, but father was very ill, he died yesterday. It’s only been a few weeks since I had said I wish he had died, I pray that I wasn’t the reason he had died. My uncle has said that my sister and I are to be trained to be princesses, since we are his nieces; that makes us royalty and that means we have to act that way. I’ve been moved into a grander room, I’ve never seen a room so large in my entire life. I have a large bed in the center and a huge mirror against the far wall, my sister says I have a vanity and I have new things to help me comb my hair. I now have women to help me dress, don’t understand what they are for. I am just a young girl and still don’t understand why my cousin is so angry that I am here. My sister says that since she’s older, uncle has arranged a marriage with a neighboring kingdom, she is to meet her husband tomorrow. I hate loosing her so soon.
Katherine
Bianca saw a side of Katherine none had seen, a side that said she was sad and felt that the death of her parents was her fault, she could tell by the reading that the death of her parents was not her fault but it was a burden that a young impressionable child was to bear.

Aug 25th
Its been several years since I’ve written in my journal, I am now sixteen years old and my uncle has said that it’s time for me to ready to be married. There is an English lord visiting from England and I am unsure what my uncle is thinking. He’s an older man, handsome yes, but older. I want someone my own age, a prince from my own country. I am Scottish and why should I marry those that are always mean to my people. I will give this man a chance, for my uncle’s sake. But he can’t make me fall in love and I have two more years before I have to truly be married. My cousin is angry and is always yelling, he is preparing to become king, since my uncle has been very sickly and of course is old. I am unsure what will happen if my uncle dies and my cousin is left to rule the country. I was told until my cousin takes a queen I am to rule by his side. I do not want to rule, I am not ready. But I guess it is my duty. I have still been sneaking into see the wizard, he is helping me get my magic better. And I am becoming a quick study, and he said that soon I would be able to handle my gifts. Not sure what he’s talking about but I enjoy the old wizard’s company, he is a good man.
Kat


Bianca looked at the book and saw the way the writing had changed, how Katherine’s way of calling herself had changed. She was angrier the older she became and now that the old king was dying, she was being forced to become something she did not want to be. It was becoming late, and the sun was soon to rise, she’d have to read more the next evening.


Katherine looked around and felt the change in the air, she would finish the spell before the sun rose and she would make sure that Nickolas was cursed for the three hundred years.
“Mistress, I hate to bother, but it’s nearly sunrise.” Angelina’s voice came from the other side of the locked door.
“Very well, make sure all have retired and I shall finish what I am working on tomorrow.” Katherine said, she stood and set the last two ingredients on the table, blowing out the candles she turned and walked from the room. She left the room locking the door again and walked to her own chambers. She would let the day’s events end with her and wait until the sunset to ready herself for a battle. She knew that Nickolas would be bent on revenge and would try to enter the mansion to end her life because she killed Nathaniel. But she knew that her spell of protection and binding would keep him from entering the property, but she would have to leave to feed. She would find a way to feed without having to leave the mansion, she would also finish the spell all would work out in the end. Until the next day she was to rest.