- Text Size +
CHAPTER 7
Nickolas stood in the small room, he could see the large house clearly and from the lighting that was now flashing over the house he knew that Katherine was angry.
“What news do you bring?”
“None yet master. I have yet to enter the house, I fear what she will do once I enter.”
“She has marked you young one. She is expecting your return.”
“Had she expected it master, she would have expected it sooner.”
“Five hundred years is a great time, but you must understand that she may feel that you’ve died.”
“This may be true. I shall arrive at the mansion tomorrow evening after she’s awakened.”
“Before she takes the child.”
“When do you believe she will take her?”
“After sunset, you must arrive to her side before that my sweet.” Nickolas said touching Nathaniel’s face. He ran his long slender fingers over his face; he loved how Nathaniel kept his long hair pulled back. The long dark hair was something that had always kept Nickolas’s attention, something that he wished his hair was the same, but his was short and blond.
“Come, its time to rest.”
“Do I sleep alone master?”
“You may or you may join me.” Nickolas replied taking Nathaniel’s hand in his own. He walked toward the two large caskets that sat in the center of the tiny room. Nickolas walked to his and opened the lid, revealing the silk lining and soft pillow; on its lid was encrusted the family symbol of Nickolas’s royal heritage. Next to his was a smaller casket; this one belonged to Nathaniel, most of the time he’d sleep with Nickolas so he rarely if ever used it. But Nickolas made sure he was made to feel special, the lid had a carved crest the very crest of Nickolas’s family, saying that Nathaniel was part of his family.
“I shall sleep alone this evening master. If that is all right.”
“It is fine my son, you will soon find that Katherine makes a much finer bed partner.” Nickolas replied kissing Nathaniel deeply, Nathaniel moaned loudly as he deepened the kiss.
“Are you sure you wish to sleep alone?”
“Yes master, I must.” Nathaniel said moving away from him and opening the lid of his own casket. Nickolas smiled evilly; he knew that no matter what Katherine did, Nathaniel was always going to be his. Nathaniel climbed into his casket and pulled the lid closed, Nickolas nodded as the lid closed and then he too entered his own casket and closed the lid.

Katherine sat in the dark room that she called her own, in the far corner was a large oak casket, as was on Nickolas’s casket, Katherine’s held her own family crest, she refused to ever have Nickolas’s crest on her casket. Being the cousin to a king, she knew that meant that she was the last of her line. On the other end of the room was a large mahogany bed, with its silk sheets and hand made quilt, there were draperies that covered around the frame of the bed; with it’s high posts that seemed to reach to the cathedral style ceiling. A matching dresser and two side tables decorated the dark room. The draperies that were over the large window were also dark. This kept the sun from leaking into the room and killing Katherine while she slept. Katherine rarely if ever had anyone share the casket with her, but there had been the brave few that had shared her bed. Henry had been one to be brave enough to share her bed, but he feared that his age would keep her from ever caring about him. Katherine was different than Nickolas in that respect, her heart may have become dark, but not cold. Sleep had finally taken its tole on her and Katherine opened the lid to her casket and climbed in, she pulled the lid closed and fell into a dreamless sleep.