- Text Size +
Nick’s Nintendo-playing was interrupted by a loud knock on the door.  Groaning, he paused his game, tossed down his controller, and, with difficulty, got to his feet.  He limped to the door and opened it to find, once again, all four guys standing in the hall.

“What’s going on?” he asked.

“Just wanted to see if you were up yet,” answered Brian.  “Come on, we’re gonna go get some breakfast.”

“Eh... I’m not very hungry,” Nick said slowly, his stomach protesting the word ‘breakfast’.

“Come on, Nick, you have to eat breakfast,” Kevin insisted, and just when Nick thought he was going to go into a whole spiel about how breakfast was the most important meal of the day, Brian interrupted and spared him the lecture.

“You don’t have to eat if you don’t want to; just come with us.”

Nick really didn’t think that was a good idea, but judging by the looks on their faces, this was something he probably wasn’t going to get out of.  So, with a sigh, he replied, “Fine.”

“Good,” said Brian.  “You ready to go?”

“Yeah, just let me turn off my game and get some shoes,” Nick muttered, trudging back into the room.  He shut off the Gamecube and TV and slipped on a pair of Adidas sandals.  Then he started to head to the door, but, catching a glimpse of his reflection in the mirror hung near the door, he stopped and went back to his overflowing suitcase.  Digging through the unruly heap of clothes, he found what he was looking for: a squashed Tampa Bay Bucs baseball cap.  Tugging on it to reshape it, he jammed it over his still-drying hair, not caring that it clashed with his orange t-shirt.

“You coming, Nick?” called AJ.

“Yeah!” Nick shouted back.  He stopped at the mirror one last time, pulling the baseball cap low over his ears and giving his baggy t-shirt a tug, making sure it was successfully hiding the small black pouch strapped to his waist.  Then he left the suite.

“About damn time,” AJ teased, playfully slinging an arm around Nick’s shoulders.  Nick immediately stiffened, terrified AJ was going to pull off his cap and give him a noogie.  But AJ only let go of him and stared at him in concern.  “What’s the matter?” he asked.  “I’m only playing; why are you so tense?”

“Sorry,” Nick muttered.  “I just don’t feel much like playing.”  Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed the others exchanging worried looks.

“Are you sick, Nicky?” Howie finally asked.

“Yes,” Nick answered, then added, “I think I’m coming down with flu.”

“Didn’t you just have the flu a few weeks ago?” Kevin asked suspiciously.

“Yeah... guess it’s still going around.”

“Maybe it’s not the flu.  Maybe it’s mono or something,” Brian suggested.

“Mono?  Ain’t that the ‘kissing disease’ or whatever?” AJ scoffed.  “Who ya been kissing, Nicky?”

“Ooh, I know who,” Howie jumped in, grinning.  “Leah, right?  Wasn’t that her name?”

“Ohh yeah, the stripper!” AJ exclaimed, eyes gleaming.  Snorting, he added, “Bet mono’s not the only thing he got from her.”

Nick stared at the two of them in shock... how did they find out about Leah?  He hadn’t told anyone about her, except for...

“Brian!  Why the fuck did you have to tell them about her?” he accused, angry and embarrassed.

“Nick... I’m sorry... I didn’t know it was that big of a deal.  If you had stayed with her, they would’ve found out anyway,” answered Brian calmly.

“Yeah, but they could have found out from me.  I don’t like you discussing my personal life with other people.  Jeez, you’re worse than a girl with all your damn gossiping.”

“Oh, Nick, chill,” AJ snapped.  “We’re just playing with you.  What the fuck is wrong with you today?”

“I told you, I DON’T FEEL GOOD!” Nick shouted.  “God, I can’t deal with this crap today.  Go get your damn breakfast; I’m going back to my room.”  He pivoted and started to walk in the other direction, but Kevin grabbed his shoulder.  “Oww,” Nick whined, squirming to get out of his grasp.

“Nick, stop it.  We’re going out for breakfast as a group, and if you’re still a part of this group, you’re coming with us,” Kevin said firmly, his fingers digging into Nick’s flesh.

“What the fuck do you mean ‘if I’m still a part of this group’?” Nick questioned angrily.

“Well, you haven’t been acting like you’re a part of the group.  What is going on with you?  One minute you’re happy and eager to participate, and the next, you’re pissed off and wanting to hide in your room all day.  What’s the deal with all the mood swings?  Are you bipolar or something?  Do we need to get you help?”  His tone was calm, serious, and matter-of-fact, but he was only pissing Nick off.

“Butt out, Kevin.  You’re not my dad, and it’s none of your business.  And no, I’m not bipolar.”

“All right.”

“Can we go now?  I’m starving,” complained AJ.

“Yes,” Kevin said.  “Let’s go.  Come on, Nick.”

Sighing heavily, Nick reluctantly followed them down the hall.

***


Awhile later, the five of them sat in a booth at IHOP, waiting for their breakfast to arrive.  Somehow, Nick had gotten scrunched in between Brian and AJ, where he sat, queasy and claustrophobic, ignoring the others’ conversation and praying for a fire or anything else that would offer him an escape.

Kevin brought him out of his spaced out state by nagging, “Nick, take off that cap.  Don’t you have any manners?”

“You’re not my dad, Kev,” Nick reminded him sullenly.

“Cripes, Nick, just take it off!” AJ exclaimed, reaching over and batting the cap off Nick’s head.

“No!” Nick cried, hands immediately covering his hair, his heart pounding fearfully.

“What?  What’s wrong?” said AJ.

“Nick?” Brian asked in concern, while Kevin and Howie just stared across the table at him.

Nervously, Nick let his hands fall and waited, watching their faces.  They only looked at him, perplexed, and he exhaled in relief, deducing that there must not be any noticeable bald patches on his head yet.

“Uh... here...” AJ said uncomfortably, handing Nick his cap back.

Nick took it wordlessly and set it on his lap, his heart still racing from the scare.  He knew he couldn’t keep doing this.  Close calls were more and more frequent now, and if he did not tell them, they would soon find out the truth by accident.  But breakfast was not a good time to do that.  He would procrastinate further.

Their waitress soon came, balancing a huge tray carrying five plates of food.  Nick held his breath as she placed a dish of scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast in front of him, trying not to inhale its scent.  The others (mainly Kevin and Howie) had forced him to order something.  “You’ll be hungry by the time we get the food, Nick,” Howie had said, while Kevin continued to insist that Nick needed to eat breakfast.

Unable to hold his breath forever, Nick slowly exhaled, and the food smell immediately wafted into his nostrils.  Normally, the scent of sizzling bacon, browned toast, and hot coffee would be scrumptious, but now it only triggered his nausea.  Afraid he was going to throw up right onto his eggs, he quickly said, “I gotta go.”

AJ, who was sitting on the end, said calmly, “Go where?”

“Bathroom.  Move!”  AJ only snickered at his forcefulness.  Annoyed and desperate, Nick gave him a shove, sending him spilling of the booth onto the floor.  While the others laughed hysterically, and AJ sputtered in shock, Nick slid out of the booth, stepped over AJ, and took off hobbling as fast as he could on his stiff leg to the bathroom.

***