- Text Size +
********MID-NOVEMBER********

Brianna awoke in the hotel room alone. "Damn," she said aloud. She had slept through the guys wake-up call again and Kevin never roused her if she was sleeping soundly. Those nights were few and far between now. Someone was banging on her door--loudly--and she stumbled over to open it.

"Good morning, Sunshine!" a very chipper Bianca greeted.

"Hey," Brianna mumbled, stumbling back to the bed and flopping down on her nest of pillows. "What's up?"

"Well," Bianca said sitting down at Brianna’s feet, "I know we haven't really been hanging out much lately and I thought that maybe we could go out since I have an off day and all the guys are at interviews. What do you say?"

Bean, that sounds like fun, but I was so sick last night. I still feel nauseous. Kevin just let me sleep this morning."

"Come on, Brianna. You've been sick for the past three days," Bianca pleaded. "I promise you'll feel better when we get to the mall. You always do! You live to shop!"

Brianna smiled at Bianca's perseverance. It had been a while since they had just taken off to go shopping and it did sound like fun. "Alright," she said. "Let me get dressed."

****************************************************

A.J. did a double-take at the blonde girl on the back row. She looked just like Cassie. 'Stop it, A.J.,' he told himself. He only half listened to Kevin answer her question and tried his best to appear normal though he wished he were anywhere other than right here right now.

****************************************************

Bianca stood waiting outside the fifth bathroom in a little over four hours. As she waited impatiently for Brianna to emerge, she realized just how much their relationship had changed in the past few months. Ever since Kevin's birthday they hadn't had time for each other. Brianna and Kevin had grown much closer, if that was possible, and were completely caught up in a world of their own. And Bianca was busy hanging out with the rest of the guys and Nick.

And even for the past couple of shows, Brianna had opted to stay at the hotel, claiming she was too sick to sit through the whole thing. Other than Kevin, the only person Brianna really talked to was A.J.

The squeaky hinges on the bathroom door brought Bianca back to reality. Brianna emerged, her face flushed and her eyes weak. "Hey, Bean, I think we need to cut our little shopping trip short. Can we head back to our hotel? My lunch made me really sick."

"Yeah, whatever," Bianca said with a roll of her eyes.

"Look, I'm sorry I can't stop puking my guts out long enough to enjoy my day. I've got a fever and a headache from hell and the only think I wanna see right now is my bed."

"Yeah, and I'll bet you'd like to see Kevin layin’ up in the bed ready to fuck your brains out! You know, since y'all got so bed happy, you don't have time for any damn body!" Bianca spat before thinking.

Brianna looked hurt for a brief moment. "Maybe that's because I don't like your attitude lately. It's not like you've been going out of your way to include me in your plans. You hardly ever fucking talk to me anymore; except to tell me that all my 'screaming' kept you awake all night. Now that's friendship."

"Well, maybe if I felt like you wanted to be anywhere but in Kevin's bed, then I'd ask you! You haven't exactly tried to spend time with me! You don't even seem to notice if I'm around anymore. I thought we'd be able to spend today catching up, but surprise, surprise, you're sick and need to go back to the hotel."

"Bianca, I apologized. I really can't help it if I'm sick. But just to suit you, I'll stay here and walk all over this damn mall with you. If you get sick, the whole world has to stop, but if it's me, I have to keep going like nothings wrong just so you don't have a fucking pop-star hissy fit!"

"No, Brianna. The whole fucking world doesn't have to stop for me. Damn, you're starting to make me wonder if Kevin knocked you up!"

"Bianca, please. These people are starting to stare. And since they recognize you, they know which Kevin you're talking about. I am begging you to stop yelling before rumors get started."

Bianca lowered her voice and looked at Brianna. "Let them stare. Besides, who's to say they're rumors. You don't know."

Brianna was on the verge of tears as she looked at Bianca. Bean had never treated her like this. She could feel every eye in the crowd of onlookers glaring at her, willing her to respond. "I regret ever telling you what happened between me and Kevin. I trusted you and you fucked me over."

"Brianna, I didn't fuck you over," she whispered. "Kevin did that for you. And since then, no one else is good enough. Do you know how that feels? It sucks, Brianna, because I have no one to turn to. Have you even stopped to think that maybe you aren't the only fucking person who might wanna talk to her best friend? But, see, if you don't make an attempt to let me know that you have a life outside of Kevin, what am I supposed to do?" Bianca turned to walk away, leaving Brianna to stare after her at a loss for words.

****************************************************

Bianca walked into her hotel room and slammed the door.

"Baby?" she heard Nick call. "Bean, what's the matter?"

"Me and Brianna got into a major fight in the middle of the mall. People recognized me so you know there's gonna be something about it somewhere. My damn manager should love that, huh?"

"Screw your manager!" Nick tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear and kissed her forehead. "Everything will be fine. You two will be talking by tonight."

"I don't know, Nick. We both said some pretty harsh things. I doubt everything will be fine."

"Sweetie, don't worry about it. Let's go see Brian," he said hugging her.

"Okay. Let's go."

****************************************************

Brianna walked into her dark hotel room and laid down on the freshly made bed. A few minutes later, Kevin walked in. "Hey, baby," he said. "How was your day?"

Brianna burst into tears and Kevin pulled her into his arms, gently rocking her back and forth. "Me and Bianca got into a huge fight in the middle of the mall. She was yelling about how I ignored everybody just to be with you. Kevin, she made me out to be the most horrible person in the world. You know I can't stand to fight with her. She's probably the only friend I have anymore, other than you and the other fellas."

"Shhh, baby. Everything will be okay. I brought you something. I know your birthday isn't until tomorrow, and that you didn't want anybody to make a big deal out of it, but I was hoping that this would make you feel better." Kevin handed her a small bag.

Opening it, she found a small silver heart-shaped locked with etched ivy on the front. Inside, she found a miniature version of her favorite picture of them: Kevin is sitting on the floor against the couch in his living room with Brianna pulled across his lap. Their foreheads are pressed together and they're both smiling. Kevin was just about to kiss her. Inscribed on the back was only one word, "FOREVER", and the date, "11-21-99".

"Baby, this is beautiful!" Brianna whispered in surprise.

Kevin hooked the fragile chain around Brianna's neck and kissed her softly. "Do you like it?"

"Baby, I love it. And you."

Kevin pushed her back gently and kissed her again, toying with the buttons on her jeans.

Brianna began to reach for his shirt after he took her top off, but instead, she wound up pushing him away and bolting to the bathroom.

Kevin knelt behind her, gently pulling her hair back as she vomited for what seemed like the millionth time that week. "Boo," he said stroking her hair softly, "do you need to see a doctor?"

"Unh-unh. If I'm not better in the morning, I'll go see somebody. I'll be okay until tomorrow."

Kevin kissed the back of her neck and pulled her up from the floor. Brianna started crying again and Kevin wiped her face with a damp cloth. When she calmed down, he kissed her forehead and led her to the bed.

Laying her down, he held her close and whispered, "Boo, everything will be better tomorrow." Deep down, though, he was worried.