- Text Size +
Chapter Two

“So, what did you two do last night, or do I even want to ask?” Stephanie inquired as she took a sip of her mocha frappacino from Starbucks.

It was the next day and she’d managed to tear her friends away from their boyfriends. Both girls had put up a slight fight, Anna making the biggest fuss, but she’d finally used her guilt tripping powers to con them in to meeting her. No matter what the situation, it never failed. She always got her way. She was always right.

“Lauren was fussy all night...so AJ and I mainly tended to her,” Jaime sighed, disappointed that they never got the chance to fool around themselves, “During the middle of the night, we took turns being with her. I honest to god don’t know what is with her lately...” Jaime frowned, “We’re doing nothing different.”

“How old is she now?” Stephanie asked, giving up after trying to do the math in her head for a moment.

“About six and a half months almost,” Jaime replied, looking at Kira strangely, “Why?” she asked.

“She’s probably teething, oh smart one,” Stephanie sarcastically quipped, “It is around that time, you know. And it makes the little ones quite...cranky.”

Jaime hadn’t really thought of that before. Now that she took it in to consideration though, it did make perfect sense. It would also explain why Lauren was always trying to gnaw on everything in sight. She was new to this though, and unlike Stephanie, she hadn’t spent her life around infants babysitting and caring for them. She shrugged her shoulders though, figuring that in the next week, she’d make an appointment with a doctor to try and see what they should do about it, if teething was the case.

“Could be,” Jaime replied, her eyelids feeling heavy from the lack of sleep she’d had. Only a couple more hours, and she could sleep...and she looked forward to that.

“So, how about you, Anna...how was your night?” Stephanie asked, turning to her other friend. The one who worried her the most because of her naivety.

“It was alright,” Anna gulped, remembering her finding the night before. The soonest anybody could come to replace the carpet was later in to the next week. She’d taken the appointment, but knew she’d be avoiding the upstairs as much as she could until then, “Kev and I pretty much just watched some movies. I fell asleep on the couch in his arms...he stayed there all night holding me.” she smiled faintly, “I feel nervous leaving him home alone though...”She was anxious to get home and be with him to make sure he was alright.

“You can’t smother him, Anna,” Stephanie scolded, “Past is the past. Move on and get over it. He’ll be fine now. Try to get that through your head.”

Anna scowled at Stephanie’s cold-heartedness. She’d always been like that. Always putting her down, and even Jaime sometimes, about the things they believed and did and thought. Anna wasn’t really sure why she put up with it as much as she did, knowing that the day would come where if things didn’t change, she’d find a way out of the friendship. After all, what kind of friend was somebody who did nothing but slam you? She didn’t know how to handle the situation though, keeping her mouth shut to avoid further self-destructing comments from the small blonde who was tougher than she looked.

“What did you do?” Jaime asked after a long period of awkward silence.

“Eh...stayed in all by myself, ordered a pizza and worked on a column for a newspaper,” she got a couple of blank stares, “It’s a trial thing...if they like it, they’ll hire me on full time. I figure since I am single now and have nothing better to do with my time, other than wait for this little thing to be ready to come out, I might as well work doing something I love...” her voice trailed off and it was sensed that the girl really did miss Nick more than she was allowing herself to let on to anybody. She acted as if she didn’t care, but it was evident that she was hurting over what he had done and still did love him.

“What did happen between you and Nick anyways?” Jaime conjured up the nerve to ask after a long pause, “You never did really tell us what happened.”

Stephanie sighed. How could she explain something she’d really assume not talk about? It wasn’t fair to her best friends though to be kept in the dark though. Jaime and Anna had been nothing but honest about their relationships. Jaime had admitted to her problems with AJ back when she’d been pregnant and AJ had spooked and given her the cold shoulder. Anna had been up-front and open to her emotions during the entire ordeal with Kevin. Didn’t she owe them the same thing, even though she was so used to keeping everything in, dealing with absolutely everything on her own.

“Well...to be bluntly honest and keep it short, he cheated on me.” Stephanie spoke up, knowing her lack of words would only cause questions. Especially after the blank stares of shock wore off...which would be right about that moment.

“What do you mean, he cheated?” Jaime asked, not able to believe that Nick would do such a thing.

“And with who?” Anna asked, “What happened? I...he’s the last person I’d expect to cheat...I mean...” her voice trailed off, knowing that she was stuttering like an idiot, but what Nick had done didn’t make sense, “Are you sure?” she asked.

Stephanie nodded, “Yes, well...beings it was in our house...I’m pretty sure it was Nick,” she rolled her eyes at Anna’s stupidity, ready to explain everything, “I came home from one of my monthly appointments, and he was in the studio in his basement...making out with Willa.”

‘No!” Jaime exclaimed, not believing what she was hearing.

Stephanie nodded again, “He told me it wasn’t what it looked like...but that’s what they all say,” she shrugged as if it didn’t bother her, but Jaime and Anna could see that her torn up relationship was ripping her to pieces inside, “This is why I always refused to date...Nick just reminded me of that.”

“I’m really sorry,” Anna stated softly.

Stephanie shrugged, trying to forget the instance. She was going to slip by the house again to see if Nick was there, and if not, get her belongings before leaving her past behind. After all, Nick was only her past now. It was time she forgot it and continue moving on, keeping as strong as she had been all along. She could only hope that the man would quit trying to contact her and get the hint that it was over, all because of him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It’s just us guys,” AJ smiled, “For the first time in months.”

“Yeah, all of us minus Howie...wherever that little runaway snuck off to.” Nick joked, “Making up excuses to see us...” he stuck out his bottom lip in a pout, “I think he’s sick of us and trying to get away.”

The others laughed at Nick bluntness, also thinking the same thing as him. Was Howie just sick of them all, trying to get away out on his own and not be bothered? They had, after all, pretty much all been together for months on end. Hell, years on end for that. Especially after Kevin’s issues with paralysis and then coma after his suicide attempt. Things had definitely been shaky, but ever since the eldest man had decided that it was time for them to tour again, things had been going fairly smoothly.

“I still think he’s got a girlfriend he’s keeping on the down low,” Kevin chuckled, “It’s only a matter of time before we figure it out though.”

“Probably. He’s the biggest romantic, but always tries to hide it,” AJ commented with a laugh and a shake of his head, “Lord knows what he’s up to.”

Nobody said anything as they all thought about the second oldest man of the friend circle hiding yet another relationship. He normally did this until he knew if it was going to work out or not. For Howie’s sake, they hoped that this girl, whomever she was, was genuine, already jumping to the conclusion that a girl was what was causing the mans absence.

“So, how are Jaime and Anna adapting to actually relaxing and having time to do whatever they want?” Brian asked, looking directly at Nick and Kevin.

“Well, Lauren is keeping us busy,” AJ laughed, shaking his head, “She’s such a doll though. I love her to death. Fatherhood is great,” he grinned, “But Jaime and I haven’t had a real chance to spend any alone time together.”

The group continued walking through the near empty streets casually, hardly anybody recognizing them with them dressed in disguise. An occasional fan still would though, and they would be more than happy to sign an autograph. For the most part though, it was nice to be able to venture out in to the world like normal people for the most part.

“Don’t you have a wedding to start planning, now that touring is over?” Brian asked him, truly interested in his good friends love-life.

AJ beamed, “Yes, we do. We’ve vaguely mentioned that we’d like a spring wedding, which gives us nine months just about. I think that it is manageable. The wedding is still on though. It is just a matter of getting the details sorted out.”

“That’s great!” Kevin exclaimed, happy that for once in his life, AJ was having good luck. From his parents divorce, to the death of his grandmother to his drug and alcohol addictions and going in to rehab, AJ definitely hadn’t had the best luck in life. He definitely deserved the happiness of having Jaime and Lauren, “If you and Jaime ever want to just get out, let me know. I’m sure that Nick and I could watch Lauren for you.”

AJ smiled, “Thanks. I might take you up on that sometime. The past month, she’s been so fussy and...we really haven’t had the chance to be a real couple. I just can’t wait to be married to her. Then...then my life will really be complete.”

His friends smiled at him. As rough as AJ appeared to be around the edges, he really was one of the kindest, soft-hearted people that they knew. And Jaime brought out those best qualities in him. Since he’d started dating her, he’d stopped smoking, the last of the bad habits that he’d carried. He’d also become more responsible, reliable, fatherhood making these qualities come out stronger than ever.

“That’s sweet,” Nick grinned, “Jaime is a hot chick. You deserve her. By the way, how is she in bed?”

AJ gasped in horror at the question, quickly turning to Kevin, eager to change the subject quickly so he wouldn’t have to answer Nick’s insensitive, blunt question, “So anyways, Kev...how’s Anna adapting?”

Kevin shrugged, “Okay, I guess. She’s been acting really strange and won’t go upstairs. I..I’m not sure what’s bothering her.” he sighed, “I hope that she isn’t bored with me and trying to find a way out of the relationship.”

“I seriously doubt that’s it, cuz.” Brian laughed, “Anna is crazy in love with you. Lord knows why. She’s probably just adapting.”

Kevin shrugged, hoping that was it. To be honest though, he really didn’t want to talk about how things were with Anna, for it was only making his paranoia a little bit more intense. To be honest, he was madly in love with this woman. He didn’t want to lose her. In fact, he wanted more with Anna. He wanted children with her, like AJ and Nick had. He wanted to be engaged and the one planning a wedding. He wanted everything with the woman. She was the thing that kept him going and the one thing that he had fought to live for after everything that could have killed him.

“Have you and Stephanie made up yet?” Kevin asked, turning to Nick.

At the sound of that question, Nick’s face fell into a somber expression that said it all. It was obvious that she still wasn’t speaking to him and this was still tearing him up inside. It was safe to say that the three best friends had affected them in serious ways, capturing their hearts. Ironically, Nick’s relationship had been the one to hit rock bottom first. The question was, could he get back up on top again an win Stephanie back?

“No...she won’t even let me explain what happened,” he sighed glumly, “I think it’s over between us.”

“What happened?” Brian asked, “It couldn’t have been that bad.”

Nick sighed, explaining everything that happened. The exact thing that he would tell Stephanie if given the opportunity. The thing was though, she wouldn’t let him and his story, the truth, he feared would never be gotten across to this woman which he still loved deeply and his unborn child he would never get the chance to know.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breathing a sigh of relief as Stephanie slowly drove up to her old house, she pulled in to the driveway. The coast was clear. She was safe to go in and venture around, collecting all of her things. The problem was, she didn’t know how much time she had, for Nick’s whereabouts were unknown. Not like she cared though. All she wanted was to get in and out of the house, never to return again. Was that so much to ask? She didn’t think so.

Parking the car and taking the key out of the ignition, she placed a hand on her growing abdomen, now just over six months pregnant. She was definitely showing now. In only three short months, she would be delivering the child alone. The sex of it, she was still unaware of. To be honest, if she didn’t know, she felt it would be best. The less attached she became, the better because she honestly wasn’t sure if she was going to keep the baby. After all...didn’t it deserve to grow up with both parents? She wanted the child to have a complete family. Not one that was missing a father figure. A father figure was a huge foundation in a child growing. A father showed a kid something that the mother couldn’t. The infant deserved that. Not the messed up, dysfunctional family that it would be if it were only she raising it.

“I’m sorry daddy won’t be here for you,” she said softly, “He didn’t love me any longer though. He preferred his ex.” Stephanie spat out the words bitterly.

With a sigh, she stepped out of the vehicle, getting the key on her key ring for the house in hand, ready to do what she came for. Walking up the driveway and to the door, she stuck the key in to the lock. It fit easily, and she stepped inside, thankful that the locks had not been changed. If they had been, she would have had to find a way to break in and with the security system which she knew Nick had, that would have complicated things slightly. It was manageable, however it would take an amount of time she knew she wouldn’t have. Back to the point though, she’d gotten in without a problem.

Cutting right to the chase and without wasting any time, Stephanie headed straight for the stairs and to where her room used to be. She didn’t know why, but was surprised to find that everything was left exactly how she remembered it. All of her things were exactly where she’d kept them, not moved at all. That was only going to make her task easier.

But then it caught her eye. It was a picture of her and Nick from when she’d first found out that she was pregnant. They had been so happy and in love. It shocked her that Nick still had it out on his night stand, and the memory caused a wave of sadness to rush over her. What had happened between them to cause him to cheat on her? How long had it been going on? Stephanie didn’t know and wasn’t sure if she wanted to, as the memories were only making her miss him all over again. She wanted to move on and get past the feelings.

Turning away sharply from the picture before tears could spring to her eyes, Stephanie started to open up drawers, taking out piles of her clothes and tossing them in to bags that she’d brought in. Her eyes widened as she realized just how many possession she’d left behind, hoping that it would all fit with ease in to the trunk of her small car. That was the least of her worries though as she ventured off to her closet next to pluck things from the racks, taking the hanger and all, also stuffing it all into boxes.

So in to what she was doing, Stephanie didn’t even hear noise coming from elsewhere inside of the house. She continued to hum as footsteps came swiftly up the stairs and across the floor, in to the bedroom, anxious to get inside and catch her without her even realizing what was about to hit her.

“Stephanie!” the voice exclaimed in excitement, “You came back!”

Stephanie froze, dropping what she was holding as she spun around. Her mouth dropped open in shock at whom she was now face to face with. The last person that she ever wanted to see again in her whole life. She was caught though, and knew that there would be no way to get out of speaking to the man. Her mission now was to be as curt and to the point as possible, getting out quickly.

“Hello, Nickolas,” she stated coldly, “I just came to get my belongings to take to my new home.”

Nick’s smile fell quickly upon hearing her harsh words, knocking him back down to reality. He didn’t know how she could hold a grudge and just trash everything they’d shared. She wouldn’t even let him explain. Nick’s eyes went straight to her stomach, where his child was being held. He felt himself wince, wondering if he would ever be a part of its life. He felt he deserved at least that, if nothing else. What he wanted was Stephanie though. He wanted his family and a fair chance to prove that he’d been nothing but faithful.

A hurt expression fell upon his face when Stephanie ignored him again, going back to getting her things. It hit him then that she was moving out completely. Panic overcame him even though he knew all along that it was over. With the beautiful woman’s things still there though, he could at least pretend that everything was fine and they’d be getting back together. Now, harsh reality was striking him, mocking him.

“Stephanie...please don’t be like this.” Nick tried, his tone pleading and desperate

“Be like what?” Stephanie challenged, spinning back around again, her tone loud and angry, “You are the one who cheated on me...remember?”

“I didn’t...”

“I know what I saw, Nick.” Stephanie bent down to pick up some of her bags, draping the plastic ones over her arms and then picking up the paper ones, knowing that she was making three trips worth of luggage in to one, “I just came here to get my things. All I wanted was to come and go before you got home. Since that didn’t happen, just step aside and act like you never saw me.”

Nick grabbed hold of Stephanie’s shoulders, his eyes showing so much pain that she didn’t understand. She shook him off though, and Nick reluctantly let her go.

“Please don’t do this.” Nick tried one last time.

He was too late though, for Stephanie was already walking swiftly out of the room, taking the steps quickly. It was then that a few tears escaped his eyes as he pathetically walked to the front window after hearing a door slam to watch throw the bags in to her car and get in to the car, walking out of his life completely.

At the same time, with shaking hands, Stephanie jammed the key in to the ignition. She got the car started and backed it quickly out of the driveway, wanting to get out of the neighborhood as quickly as possible, but only made it to a stop sign at the end of the street before breaking down completely. She put the car in to park and slumped over the steering wheel, burring her head in to her arms. A wave of emotion overcame her as she too cried for a relationship she’d once had and lost, not even wanting to hear the excuses because it would only open the wound again and make the pain in her heart fresh.