- Text Size +
Chapter Five

“Are you sure they’re going to like me?” Gloria asked as she nestled her hand deeper within Howie’s, glancing up at him nervously as they entered a room full of all of Howie’s friends, “They all look so close and all...and I’m new.”

Howie laughed, leaning over to give his girlfriend a kiss on the cheek, “They’ll love you. You’re an absolute sweetheart and that witty humor of yours will be a sure thing.” she didn’t look convinced, “I promise, sweetheart. You’ll win them over in no time.”

Gloria forced a small smile, but on the inside she felt like a jumble of knotted up nerves. Everybody in the room had been tight knit...for the most part...for the past year and a half practically. They’d already created their bonds with one another. The girls had probably been friends for many years, and Lord knew that the guys had. It would take a long time for her to fit in to the group and feel like she actually belonged. True, she’d wanted nothing more than to just meet everybody. Now that it was happening, Gloria was afraid.

“Don’t worry, Glor. They’ll adore you as much as I do.” He squeezed her hand lightly, “I might have to fight some of the single ones off of you.” he joked lightly.

“They couldn’t compare with you though.” Gloria told him sincerely, “I honestly feel as if I’ve found my perfect match with you.”

Howie chuckled lightly, trying to hide the blush he could feel coming. The complements that his girlfriend gave him were definitely over the top. He knew that she meant every word without trying to win brownie points though. Gloria was above that, more mature than most of the other money sucking, heart breaking tramps he’d managed to find. She was sweet and kind, not toying with his feelings. She was the real deal. There was no way that the others wouldn’t completely love her.

The happy new couple continued on up to the others as they held on to one another’s hands. Howie could feel Gloria tense slightly within his grip, hoping that it wasn’t too soon to introduce her. She was fiery and bubbly when she was comfortable, but when nervous, the girl was like pure jello.

“Hey guys,” Howie greeted, “Sorry we’re late.”

The group turned from their conversation to find that the last member of the group had finally arrived and with a new addition. They all said their hello’s, eyeing Gloria in curiosity. This just made the girl even more nervous, ducking behind Howie slightly to hide herself from their stares. Her heart was beating in her chest at what seemed to be a million beats per second. Apprehension was tight in her every fiber. She was still terrified that none of them would like her and not want to take the time to let somebody new in to their group. If they didn’t like her, would Howie leave her too for somebody whom was more fitting to the group,

‘Who’s your friend?” Nick asked bluntly, pointing right at Gloria, “That blonde chick hiding behind you?”

Howie shot Nick a warning look before stepping aside to reveal his stunning girlfriend, hugging her firmly against his side, “This, everybody, is my girlfriend...Gloria. We’ve been seeing each other for some time now...a few months. Gloria, the blonde with the big mouth is Nick..as you already know I’m sure. That’s AJ, Brian, Kev, the brunette with the curly hair is Anna, Kevin’s girlfriend, The smaller brunette is Jaime, AJ’s girl and then the blonde girl is Stephanie.” he pointed to each person as he introduced them.

“It’s nice to meet you all,” Gloria spoke up with a anxious smile, “Howie’s told me so much about you.”

‘It’s nice to meet you too,” Anna was first to greet, moving her chair aside at the large table that they were at to make room for the new girl.

Gloria accepted, walking over to the table and taking a set next to Anna as she folded her hands in her lap, eyes darting around in apprehension. Howie came over to her, taking a vacant seat beside his girlfriend as everybody started asking her questions. They were doing just as he knew they would. They were getting to know her and trying to make her feel welcome, immediately warm.

“So, were did you and Howie meet?” Brian asked her

“Ummm...in Pennsylvania.” she replied, “After a show that you did.”

Brian chuckled, “No wonder he started acting all goofy after that show,” Brian teased, “Always smiling and off in dreamland.”

This caused both Gloria and Howie to blush. They gave each other a sideways look at the same time and their eyes caught and they smiled at one another. Howie reached from under the table, placing a hand on one of Gloria’s firm thighs, rubbing it affectionately before taking her hand in his.

“It was at the beginning of your tour...” Gloria mentioned with a smile, “One of the first shows when you came back. We’ve been together ever since...”

“And you’re just now introducing her to us?” Nick cracked, looking at Howie in offense, “She’s damn ho!! You should have brought her around much sooner!.” Nick felt a leg kick his shin hard from under the table as Howie shot him a dirty look, “Ouch! What was that for, D?”

Howie just glared at Nick, shaking his head in warning, hoping that Nick took the hint to just shut his mouth. The blonde just stuck his lip out in an immature pout as he leaned down to rub his throbbing shin, unaware of what he’d done wrong. Since when was giving a girl a complement such a crime? As Nick looked around the table though, he noticed that each person was giving him a disbeliefed look. Stephanie was one of them, but there was something else mixed in with it. Hurt maybe? Jealousy?

“Have you just been coming out to visit Howie periodically then?” Jaime asked as she bounced Lauren lovingly on her leg.

Gloria nodded, “Every other week he flies me out for a visit for a few days,” Gloria informed, “On the weekends, since I work all week,” she smiled at the infant reaching out and grabbing at Jaime’s drink, sticking her hands in to the glass to retrieve an ice cube, “Your daughter is adorable.” she smiled.

“Oh,” Jaime laughed, “Thank you. She’s at that age where she’s in to everything.”

Gloria laughed, admiring the child. She absolutely loved kids, which was precisely why she was majoring in pediatrics at the moment back home. She had to do geriatrics first for clinical’s, but knew that if she was patient and did the stuff she didn’t like so much first, it would all pay off and she would have her dream job in no time.

“How old are you?” Anna asked her, interested in knowing more about Gloria.

“Twenty-one.” Gloria replied, “Just turned a couple of months ago. Thank the Lord, I can drink!” she cracked. This caused a round of laughter to circulate around the table at her witty humor, “Actually, I don’t care for the taste of alcohol, but if the opportunity presents itself..” More laughter.

“I’m twenty-one too. Jaime and Stephanie are twenty two now.” she stuck out her tongue, “I feel sooo left behind.”

Gloria smiled, already feeling as if she fit in to the group, and she especially liked Anna’s warmness. She seemed like the type that was easy to talk to and get to know, one who would give anybody a chance. Gloria decided that she would try to get to know Anna before the others, hoping that they had as much in common as she assumed that they would. After all, she couldn’t spend all of her time with Howie and would need some friends since she was going to be around a little bit longer with this visit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kevin sighed as he exited the X-ray room at the hospital with Anna at his side. He hadn’t said a whole lot all morning. Then again, the appointment had been set for six in the morning. Neither was used to getting up before nine anymore. It had been tough hauling ass out of bed and getting to Kevin’s doctors appointment on time, Anna nearly falling asleep behind the wheel as she drove them. After a cup of coffee and an energy drink, she was pretty much good to go.

“So, now what?” Anna asked Kevin as she placed a hand lovingly on his shoulder, massaging it within her long, thin fingers.

“Go to a small office room and wait for the doctor and he’ll tell me how things are looking, do some of the things Richard does, then tell me how things are looking,” Kevin sighed, “I haven’t had an appointment since...hell...since right before we took off on the road.” he forced a laugh, “Thank’s for coming with me, baby. You really didn’t have to.”

Anna smiled as he wheeled his way in to his designated room, positioning himself next to the chairs that were meant for the patients and/or their family. She followed him in, taking a seat in one of the chairs lining the left wall, “I wouldn’t have dreamed of not coming. I love you and support you.”

Kevin smiled warmly, it actually not forced, “It means a lot to me. Thank you.” He leaned over to plant a kiss on her cheek.

The couple sat in silence and Anna reached over to grab Kevin’s hand, sensing that he was nervous. The man had every right to be too. Anna knew how much he was hoping that the doctor would deliver good news, saying that he was improving. He would never admit out loud how much it meant to him, but Anna could tell that it was all her boyfriend really wanted after not being able to walk on his own for a year and a half. She could sense his apprehension. Kevin had been so positive and had been doing so well. For his sake, Anna hoped that the doctor delivered good news to the man. He deserved it. But just in case...

“You know that no matter what he says, I’ll love you the same, regardless...right?”

Kevin turned and looked at her, their eyes meeting. Anna saw his green eyes filled with so much love and adoration. The look was enough to cause her heart to melt, “I know darling. I love you too. Thanks for putting up with me all of this time.”

Anna laughed, “Putting up with you? I do it because I care about you and want to do it. In fact...there is nothing else I would honestly rather do.”

Kevin chuckled, “I honestly doubt that now, but thank you. You’re one of a kind, Anna. Now do you know why I fought so hard to get you?”

Anna wasn’t sure of what to say. She wondered if he held any sort of grudge against her due to the fact that she hadn’t agreed to date him right away. Then again, she’d only done it for Kevin’s sake. He hadn’t been over his ex wife yet and at first, not even divorced yet. But if she hadn’t refused, Kevin wouldn’t be paralyzed right now. He would be happy, healthy. Anna bit her lip, wondering if he resented her...blamed her at all? Kevin was so perfect that he would never outright say any of that to her, but was it hidden within his mind?

Just then, Kevin’s doctor breezed in to the room holding a clipboard. As always, he mans face was unreadable. He sat down on his stool as he opened up Kevin’s folder. He looked over the chart for a moment before closing the folder and looking up.

“How are you today, Kevin, Anna?” Dr. Newton asked blandly.

“We’re good,” Kevin answered nervously, “And you?”

Dr. Newton shrugged without answering, “How is your physical therapy going? I see that you have switched to Richard Ryans.”

“That’s correct,” Kevin replied, “Things are going great, actually. He’s great and really helpful.”

Nothing was said for a moment as Dr. Newton wrote some things down. Likely what Kevin was saying, or not saying. Was there really a right or wrong thing to say though in this situation? Kevin didn’t think so. It wasn’t like he had to study or anything for the appointment. He came, he told his feelings, he left. End of story.

“I took a look at your x-rays. Everything looks stable. Nothing is worse, but no better either. On a positive note, your muscles aren’t deteriorating. Other than that, no change.”

Kevin frowned, “I see.” he furrowed is brown in confusion.

“I’d like to have you get up on the examination table and see how things feel for myself. It will give me a better feel for your condition.”

Kevin nodded and he felt Anna squeeze his hand as she got up. Both her and Dr. Newton helped Kevin up on to the table that was a good three and a half feet off of the ground. The doctor got right down to business right away, doing much of what Richard did, only quicker and not as routine.

“Hmm...”

“What?” Kevin grunted, not liking the way the doctor’s voice had come across and especially the look on his face. Kevin never got an answer though. He looked at Anna who gave him a supportive smile. Only when the doctor stepped back from the table and sat back down, recording some more notes did Kevin ask, “How do things look?”

“Honestly, not as pleased as I’d hoped I would be. It’s been eighteen months and you’re in the same condition as you were in when the accident happened.”

It broke Anna’s heart when she saw Kevin’s face fall and mutter an ‘oh’. She hated Dr. Newton for crashing Kevin’s hopes like that. Sure, he had to be honest, but still. Kevin had been through so much. All Anna wanted for the man was for him to get his wish. He was, after all, an entertainer. Three months hadn’t been a huge deal to perform in a wheelchair. Kevin had bargained with it, thinking it would be a one time thing. It looked like it was turning in to more than that though. She wanted to reach out and pull him in to a comforting hug, but felt that she couldn’t move.

“I’m going to ask you something, doctor,” Kevin spoke up, his voice firm, “And I want you to be completely honest with me. No sugar coating. What are my chances of walking again ever?”

Dr. Newton paused for only a second before saying, “Honestly, Mr. Richardson, at this point. I would say slim,” Kevin looked as if he had been slapped, “I’m not saying it is impossible. Some cases I would rule out impossible. But I will say that it is not likely.”

Kevin sucked in his breath slowly and held it in for a few seconds before letting it out. Without another word, Dr Newton and Anna helped Kevin back in to his wheelchair. Kevin positioned himself the best he could, his mood from previously somewhat more sullen. Anna’s heart went out to him, knowing that the doctors confessing was a huge blow. Especially since in the beginning, it was said that his chances were rather good.

“Is there anything else you needed today?” Dr. Newton asked as he opened the door, it obvious that as far as he was concerned, the appointment was over.

“No, that’s all, thank you.” Kevin sighed in monotone.

“Very well. You can schedule your next appointment at the front desk on your way out.” and with those words said, he was gone.

Kevin and Anna followed, going in the opposite direction as the doctor. Kevin didn’t say a word until they were on their way out to the car.

“Well, that was a shock.” he muttered.

“Are you going to be okay?” Anna asked in concern.

Kevin smiled, but it was visible that it was fake, “Yeah...I’ll be fine. I’m doing fine like this. Let’s just go home, okay?”

Anna nodded, smiling at how strong Kevin was acting to be. On the inside, she knew that he was dying from the bad news. She could only hope that it would not cause permanent depression in her recently upbeat boyfriend.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ohhh!” Jaime exclaimed as she rushed in to one of her favorite stores, Hollister, “That is sooo cute!” She pulled a light blue shirt off of a rack. It was button up with a sewn in white shirt underneath. She held it up to her body, the size extra small, ‘What do you think?” she modeled the shirt for them.

“Adorable,” Anna agreed, approving her friends taste, “Although you’re so damned small, anything would look good on you. So not fair!”

Gloria laughed as Stephanie and Jaime both rolled their eyes. They were used to Anna grumbling with how fat she was when in reality, she was thin. The girl didn’t give herself nearly enough credit. The four were out that day to just have fun and shop, having a girls day out. They’d invited Gloria to get to know her better and found that she was a lot like all of them with mixed personalities. She had Anna’s sweet side, Stephanie’s sarcasm and Jaime’s bluntness. True, all of the girls had all of those traits somewhat, but with Gloria, they all stood out. It made it so much easier to get along with her.

“You should get it,” Gloria mentioned, “It would definitely have AJ screaming in ecstacy for you.”

Jaime laughed, “Just what I need...AJ horny and getting me pregnant again.” she shook her head. Her fiancé had a bigger sex drive than any man that she knew. Then again, when it came to him, she found herself turned on quite often...

“Lauren would have a little playmate at least?” Anna offered with a giggle, “After all, she is the first Backstreet Baby.”

“That’s what Stephanie’s baby will be for!” Jaime exclaimed in disbelief that the group was already planning out her second pregnancy, “You know, the child that is due in two months.”

Everybody laughed, including Jaime. The four stepped through the store, each picking a few things off of the racks that they liked. They all went in to a dressing room to try on their things and get the others opinions to rule out the not-so-good clothing before paying and leaving the store, each with a nearly stuffed shopping bag.

“Shopping...a girls best friend!” Jaime sighed in happiness, looking at Gloria’s small bag with only one top and one pair of jeans, “How did you not go crazy in there?”

Gloria shrugged, “Guess I’m not in to the whole girlie thing. More of a tom boy...in to video games, guns and shooting, blood...”

Jaime looked at the girl as if she’d grown a second head before shaking her own. She couldn’t imagine being a girl and not having the shopping gene that most were famous for. If she could, she would buy out the entire mall with all of its contents. Then again, if anybody tried to buy something that she wanted, she would yank it from their hands, claiming it as all hers. That wouldn’t go over well, but that would be the breaks.

“Stephanie?”

The four girls turned when they heard a male voice call out Stephanie’s name. Three jaws dropped at the sight of a gorgeous, dark haired man before them. He was hotter than most men they had ever seen, being tall and the perfect build. They all turned to Stephanie in sync in shock to see that she wasn’t even phased by the man as he approached them quickly. Stephanie just stood, greeting him when he got up to them.

“How’ve you been?” he asked, “It’s been awhile since I saw you.”

“Yeah, um...just off on tour with everybody. We um...just got back.”

“You never called me. How are things with you and Nick?”

Stephanie’s eyes clouded over, “We’re through. I walked in on him cheating on me after I met you. Sooo...it’s over. So, so over.”

“I’m sorry,” Brad offered sincerely, “Is there anything I can do?”

Stephanie shrugged, slightly uncomfortable. True, she had considered dating this man had she been single at the time. It was just too weird running in to him though. She had just thrown his number out not even a week before. Was it fate that they were supposed to be together? She honestly wasn’t sure. Part of her wanted nothing to do with men, but then again Brad had been so sweet and just...mysterious. He still seemed to be somber, however just as Stephanie remembered, they glowed. She felt herself being drawn in to him all over again, despite how much she didn’t want to be.

“Are you still working at the restaurant?” Stephanie asked him.

“Nah. I was fired for getting my schedule mixed up and not showing up one day. I got a better job at a higher class restaurant anyways,” he grinned for a second before saying, “I have wondered about you though. You look great...and healthy. So does the little one.” he nodded to her stomach.

“Thank you...you look great too.”

There were another few moments of silence. It was somewhat uncomfortable, as the situation was awkward. Never in a million years had Stephanie expected to see Brad again and honestly hadn’t even thought of him other than when she’d found his number. Again, her mind could only come up with one exclamation. Fate.

“So, maybe I am being too bold asking this, but how would you like to get together sometime? Just the two of us?”

“Um, okay?” Stephanie replied with a smile.

“Great,” he dug a pen out of his pocket. Grabbing her hand, Brad wrote his number on it again as if he knew that she’d rid of it without asking, “Give me a call when you’re open. It was nice seeing you again, Steph.”

“You too...” she let her voice trail off.

Brad gave a slight wave as he started to walk away. Stephanie just watched in shock, wondering what had just happened. The world around her didn’t exist and she was oblivious to everything. The gorgeous man had asked her out and once again, against her rules of dating, she’d accepted. Somehow, this felt right though. It wasn’t as if Nick was an option any longer. He still wanted his nasty ex...

“What was that about?”

“Huh?” Stephanie turned and jumped slightly, forgetting all about her friends being there. She blushed slightly, something that was very un-Stephanie like, “Just a guy I met back when I was at three months...me and Nick were still together.”

“Oooohhh.” her three friends chimed at the same time in a teasing manner.

“Stop it. It’s nothing.” Stephanie tried to convince them.

“It didn’t look like nothing. Looks like he has a thing for you.” Jaime laughed

“No...we’re just friends,” Stephanie replied, her voice giving away that it was more than that, “We’re just going out with friends.” she said again as her heart pounded in her chest. Even as she said it though, Stephanie knew that it was more than that as she thought, Ah, who am I kidding, because in reality...she liked Brad...a lot.