- Text Size +
Chapter Seven

“So, what would you like to do?” Brad asked Stephanie as he held her hand, their arms swinging ever so slightly with the sway of their walk, “I want to make our first date memorable and special...so that you’ll want to see me again.”

Stephanie burst out laughing. She realized that his man really didn’t know her at all. If he did, he’d know that he didn’t have to try to impress her. All he had to do was be himself, be true, and respect her and chances were, she would give him the chance to see what he was all about. Well, maybe. Beings Nick had completely betrayed her trust, and she’d given up her ‘no dating’ rule for him, Stephanie didn’t know what she would do about Brad. She figured just go with the flow, take things slow, and if something formed, then great, if not, she reserved herself for not being hurt again.

“What are you laughing at?”

“Huh?” Stephanie looked at Brad with her mouth hanging open. She realized that she’d lost herself in her own train of though and laughed to herself, “Just...don’t try too hard. It doesn’t take much to impress me...in fact...I’m amused by little things. You could take me to a fucking petting zoo and I’d be happy. So...just...be yourself and you’ll be fine.”

Brad smiled and Stephanie was somewhat taken aback. His eyes glittered even more than usual but something about them still held a secret that she was dying to find out. It was really the first real smile she’d seen from him in the whole two times she’d been near him. If she had to admit it, his smile was catching and addicting. Just something about it drew her in even further, and against her will yet. Maybe it was the suspense behind him, but she knew that she’d be sticking around to find out, as he also had somewhat of a ‘bad boy’ image about him through his gorgeous looks. The man was hard to explain and definitely the opposite of Nick. He was more serious. More intellectual. Nick had been fun and well..not so much intellectual. This would definitely be different. Challenging even, for she could carry on an actual in depth conversation with him. Stephanie decided that she was up for that challenge.

“So how would going to a dance club sound?” he asked her, “Let loose, dance, just have fun.”

“Your call,” Stephanie shrugged, “Surprise me.”

Brad laughed as they continued to walk. The girl was definitely headstrong and stubborn. It was a refreshing quality though. Most girls he knew went along with everything that their boyfriends said. If the guy wanted to go to a car show, the girl said ‘okay’ whether she really wanted to or not. Either that it was the other extreme. The guy had to do everything the girl wanted, which generally was stuff that should be done for chicks night out. The girl making him make the choice and just ‘surprise’ her showed him that she was easy-going generally and had a wide variety of interests.

He let go of her hand as he reached up, running his fingers through her blonde hair. The feeling was soft to touch and he felt lucky to be with such an incredible woman. Ever since he’d met her back at the restaurant, he’d thought of her occasionally, wondering why she never called. Destiny had brought them together again, and it didn’t even bother him that she was six months pregnant. In fact, to Brad, there was just something completely sexy about it.

“So,” Stephanie mentioned, “Why were you so solemn back when I met you a few months ago...but now, you’re a completely different person?”

Brad hesitated for a moment. He usually wasn’t very happy. He was usually polite but solemn. He joked around, but didn’t smile while doing so. He just kept a straight face, going about his business. It was something he’d become accustomed to. He wasn’t sure how to explain it, but Stephanie had definitely been a positive, good change in his life. A life that he’d been slipping in to for years and she had pulled him from the dark path.

“I’m not sure. I guess because nothing good was happening for me. My mother died when I was small, and it caused me to do poorly in school. I was kicked off of the football team, have had more DUI’s than I can count on one hand,” he laughed nervously, “I was forced to take classes and am fine now. The sadness just never went away.”

There was a long silence for a few moments and Brad got nervous, wondering if his honesty had scared her. His life hadn’t exactly been glamorous. He’d been in trouble with the police many times for various things. He’d been nothing but trouble and now he was paying for it with every day that he breathed. He was in debt and working next to nothing paying jobs just to try to dig himself out. That was another story for later on. Something he would confess to her if she chose to see him again.

“I’m sorry that things haven’t been great for you,” Stephanie replied finally, “I won’t hold it against you. My past hasn’t been the best either. Coming out here and going around with the Boys has been a new start for me. My parents were always at the bars leaving me to pay their bills with night jobs I was forced to take. They were rarely sober. I don’t know...I guess I just understand where you’re coming from.”

Brad smiled again, letting out a sigh of relief. Unlike most girls he’d met, he had a good feeling that this one wasn’t going anywhere. They had much in common and had pasts that most wouldn’t even wish on their worst enemy. With Stephanie, Brad felt that he could be his true self and not hold back or hide anything. Sugar coating things had been what he’d done his entire life, and in a sense, he felt that Stephanie had done the same to protect herself. Both had issues with trusting people completely, and until they did, they didn’t open up and tell a whole lot. Brad trusted her though from the start...

“Well, here we are.” Brad stated about half a mile later as they came up to a series of clubs in the club district of downtown. He opened the door, holding it there, “After you.”

“Wow...a true gentleman.” she teased lightly as she entered the club.

Brad followed close behind her and he snaked his arms around her waist as they were ID’ed and then given wrist bands to show that they were, in fact, over 21 and of age. After going through a small, narrow hallway that was darkened, they came out on the other side where all of the action was taking place. The entire time, loud music thundered through the building making the walls and floor vibrate.

Brad took Stephanie’s hand and led her to the center of the dance floor where there was a clearing big enough for two and they danced, Stephanie showing off her talent with something she’d had a lot of practice with. Already, she was having a great time, this being one of the best nights she’d had in a long time, and Brad had made that possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“What are you doing, baby.” Jaime asked AJ as she walked in on him looking through a thick magazine-type thing. She sat down next to him, cuddling in to his lean side as he wrapped an arm around his girlfriend, kissing her cheek affectionately. She looked down at the book and gasped at the bright pictures on the pages, ‘Wow...” she breathed, “Pretty.”

AJ laughed, “I’m glad you think so...because I’ve been wanting to talk to you about this.” she looked at him in curiosity, “About where we are going to have our wedding at. You said the beach. These are all of the options that we have...from all over the world.”

Jaime pulled away, slightly taken aback by his confession. She hadn’t even had to pry and hint around about making plans. The man was doing it willingly and on his own time. This caused her heart to swell with even more love for the man. She couldn’t wait to be Mrs. Jaime McLean. It would be just one more declaration of their love for one another. One more expression of it added to a list that continued to grow by the day.

“Somewhere tropical would be nice,” she said softly, “Hawaii, the Carribean...Cancun.”

AJ chuckled as he opened up a few pages that he had bookmarked. Each place she’d already named off was folded over, the beaches of then leaving her speechless and breathless by their beauty. On some of them, there were palm trees nearby, the waters a light shad of clean blue, the sands a pure white showing that they were clean and well taken care of. The sand looked soft to the touch instead of somewhat rough and jagged. And AJ already knowing what she wanted topped it all off. He knew her inside and out, took the time to actually get to know her. It was a quality that she loved and she hoped that they spent the rest of their lives getting to know one another.

‘You’re too good to me,” Jaime sighed happily, “I don’t know which I like better,” she paused before grinning evilly, “How about we just get married at each one. We could have three wedding nights with three times the pleasure and three honeymoons...” her voice lingered as she kissed him behind his earlobe seductively to purposely turn the man on.

“Mmmm...” AJ moaned, pleasured by the small gesture, “I think you’re asking to get pregnant again, little lady.”

This caused Jaime to burst out laughing. She’d just had a baby not more than nine months before. Her body was still healing from the trauma of childbirth. Having another this soon probably wouldn’t be in her best interest. Just the fact that AJ was speaking of them having more though in the future together told her that he was in this for the long-run. He hugged her affectionately as he laid the page of Cancun out.

“So what do you think of this one?” he asked her, “The scenery is gorgeous, the weather is always nice. The beach is astounding. It is far enough away so that it is different from our everyday life but close enough so that our friends and family can come out...” he wiggled his eyebrows, “And, if we see it fitting, we can just stay a little longer and make a honeymoon out of it.”

“I think that sounds perfect.” Jaime told him honestly, “I can’t wait to marry you.”

“I can’t wait to marry you. My only regret is not proposing sooner.” AJ replied, “You are my everything.”

Jaime closed her eyes and smiled in content happiness. AJ’s sweetness was unreal. She believed that he felt that he wanted to take their relationship to a higher level of commitedness, but the fact that he’d waited made her know that he was serious and it wasn’t just an act of lust, being caught up in the moment. It was out of love. True, honest to God love. Just the way she’d always imagined it would be. Her wildest dream was coming true.

“I can’t wait to marry you.” Jaime said after the long pause when she knew that it was the response that AJ was looking for, “Then we can do whatever we want...fuck...we do whatever we want now.”

This caused AJ to laugh loudly, “Very true,” he breathed in to her ear, “I think we should do it soon though. Set the date for soon...” he mentioned, “When do you think is a realistic time. One month...two?”

“Hardly..” Jaime giggled, “As much as I’d love to tie the knot this weekend, there’s still a lot of planning to do.” she paused thoughtfully as she wracked her brain for everything that needed done and a rough estimate if they hurried, “I’d say realistically...four months.”

This caused AJ to break out in to a huge smile. In just over one hundred days, he could be married, sharing his life, his love, his name with the beautiful woman before him. He knew that the Boys would think that he was way in over his head, but the fact of the matter was...he needed her in his life and didn’t want to lose her or waste any time. He had visions of them growing old together, sharing their golden fiftieth wedding anniversary together. Going to visit grandchildren and great grandchildren. He could see it all.

Reaching over, AJ picked up the phone next to him. He dialed the number on the page, bringing it to his ear as it rang just a few times. Somebody answered and soon AJ was speaking to them, completely ready to book an exact date for their wedding.

“Hello,” he greeted, “My name’s Alexander McLean. I’d like to set a date to marry my fiancé at your location.” there was a pause, “We’d like to go for about four months from now...” another pause, “Mmm...Okay....alright. That sounds great.” there was another moment of silence, “No, we have everything else under control. Just need a judge to marry us.” one more pause before, “Alright. Thank you very much. See you then.”

He hung up the phone and turned to Jaime with a smile on his face that couldn’t even be pulled off with a tow truck. She searched his eyes, trying to read what was going on and the information that he held and was torturing her with by making her wait. It wasn’t long though before he was unable to contain his excitement, spilling information that she’d been dying to have revealed. Information about their future.

“How does September sevententh sound?” AJ asked her.

Jaime thought for a moment. It was now in the beginning of May...which meant just over four and a half months. She nodded in approval, the date sounding like music to her ears. It was set in stone. Something to look forward to. There was no turning back time and Jaime honestly wouldn’t want to for anything in the world. The dream was becoming a reality just by the push of a few simple buttons and a phone call that would change both of their lives.

“I say that I can’t wait.” Jaime whispered in to his ear softly, her heart beating wildly in anticipation for what the future would bring.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Open mine next!” Anna exclaimed in excitement as she picked up her gift for Stephanie, shoving it in to her friends face.

Stephanie eyed Anna cautiously before saying, “I only have two hands. Jeez!” she shook her head and laughed, taking the large box out of Anna’s hands, “Didja get me a new TV?” she asked jokingly as she looked at the box that was big enough to fit at least a twenty-inch screen television.

Anna laughed, unable to wait for her pregnant friend to open the gift. It was filled with all sorts of goodies for mommy and baby. Yes, the point of that day was for a baby shower for Stephanie, whom was six and a half months along. The gathering was small, consisting of just Jaime, Gloria and Anna surprising Stephanie. She definitely had been surprised when Anna had asked the girl to come over to fix the computer, since she was the most computer intelligent out of the bunch. Stephanie had been hesitant, but Anna had begged and pleaded, leaving the blonde grumbling about it the entire way over. Imagine her face when she knocked on the door and was led through the house only to have they all yell “SURPRISE” It was then that she realized that it had been a set up.

“How many damned layers of paper are on this thing?” Stephanie asked nervously, half way afraid that a stripper would jump from the box, “Oh, thank God!” she breathed when she realized that it was the end of the unwrapping. She then unfolded the flaps of the lid, pulling out the first of many things. It was a rather sexy piece of lingerie in a deep ruby red, “Ummm...thanks. Because I just have somebody so special to wear this for.” she teased sarcasticlly.

“Well, by the time you have baby and get your shape back, you’ll be pretty romantically involved will mall boy.”

Stephanie eyed Anna cautiously before stating with a shake of her head, “You really worry me sometimes. And his name is Brad.”

“Yes, well...we know that you and Brad have gone out a few times.” Jaime teased her friend, “It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that you like each other and are getting closer.”

“Yeah, well...” Stephanie blushed, something that she never did. They figured that it was a weird side effect of pregnancy, but still.

Ignoring the looks that she was getting, Stephanie dug in to the box again. Next, she pulled out a baby blanket that was in shades of dark and light blue mixed with some aqua. It was really pretty and obvious that Anna had knit it herself, for there were a few minor imperfections along the edges. It was adorable though and in the perfect size so that her baby could use it for a good few years. Next was a tiny baby mobile that was custom made with little Backstreet Boys dangling from it. When wound, it played the song Spanish Eyes, which was one of the slower songs that was just soft and sweet. She looked up at Anna, giving her another strange look.

‘What?’ she asked defensively, “Boy or girl, it has to be a fan!” she exclaimed with a smile, “Start it off early, because with us around it...trust me...the kid is gonna have to be!”

Stephanie just shook her head, going to look in further to the box to find some clothes in shades of green and yellow and a baby blue...colors that could be take for a little boy or girl. She smiled, but it was a sad smile a she put all of the things back in to the box, placing it down on the floor beside her. Their friend had been happy up until that point, but her mood changing suddenly hinted that something deeper was wrong.

“Are you okay?” Gloria asked her.

“Yeah...I guess so.” Stephanie replied, but when she got three skeptical looks, she said more, “I’m just getting worried about having this baby. I mean...I don’t want to be a single parent. I’m worried that I can’t handle it.”

“You’ll be great,” Jaime enthused, “Kids love you!”

Stephanie shrugged, “Yeah, well...I’m fine babysitting...but this is a full time responsibility. Brad said he would help me out...but that could change...” some tears started to fall from her eyes, another quality that was rare for Stephanie. She roughly wiped them from her eyes, “Damn these pregnancy hormones.” she forced a smile and a light laugh.

There were a few moments of silence as Stephanie’s friends hugged her in comfort, letting her get all of her frustrations out during her mini emotional breakdown. They had a feeling that she’d been keeping all of this locked away inside for some time now, just needed a shoulder to cry on but had been too embarrassed to admit it since she was usually so composed and the one who others went to for help. Stephanie was not one to lose her cool. That was, until that moment in time.

“I’m so sorry, guys.” she apologized once her tears had stopped.

“It’s okay...” Anna replied, “You’ve always been there for us...it is our turn to return the favor.”

“And you’ll be a great mother. You have nothing to worry about.” Jaime added, “You have the three of us to help you out the whole way.”

Stephanie smiled, still embarrassed with the effects this was having on her hormones. They were completely wacky, “Thanks guys,” she paused before grinning, “How about we get back to his party? That way, we can bring out the stripper already!”

Her friends groaned and rolled their eyes at Stephanie’s drastic mood swing as the small blonde grabbed another gift from the table before her. The next couple of months would be a roller coaster ride, to say the least.