- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry It's been so long everyone! Hope there is still someone out there reading this! Please review if you're still out there!
Chapter 10

He had just come home when the hospital had called. Had almost fallen asleep when the shrill ring made his heart jump. What the voice had told him made his heart almost jump out of his chest.

Now Kevin was walking down the long hallway, wondering how he had even gotten there in one piece. He couldn’t think and the adrenaline pumping into his brain made him have to stop every few minutes, his legs weak from fear.

Jenn had taken a sudden turn for the worse and no one could tell Kevin why. He couldn’t even remember what the doctor had said to him. He wasn’t even sure if he had hung up the phone. All he knew was that his heart kept falling further and further into the deepest pits of his stomach and he felt worse than he ever had before. Guilt. Regret.

What if he could never tell her he loved her again? What if he never got to see his baby? Never got to….

Kevin’s hand was shaking so bad that he had to reach for the doorknob four times before he actually grasped it. Breathing in deeply, he entered the room, the pressure and atmosphere seeming to suffocate him.

His amber green eyes found his girlfriend, jerking wildly on the bed. She was crying and her hand was wrapped tightly around the nurse’s hand. Her left hand, that should’ve been graced with a diamond ring months ago. Guilt and regret. Again.

Kevin slowly neared the bed as Jenn began to relax against her pillow. Her blue eyes were shining and still. “Baby…” He licked his lips gently, swallowing his tears and smoothing the sheet just beside her hand. “I..I got here as soon as I could.”

Her heart beat was slow but she turned her head at the sound of his voice and smiled a bit, moving her hand easily to find his. “Please…please don’t go.” He swallowed, looking up to find the doctors frowning at him. “I…I love you.”

She smiled and he felt a bit relieved, knowing that she wasn’t angry with him. Feeling better that she realized he was there. With her, if this is was the end of her forever. Jenn’s mouth opened slightly. “I….I…I love you too….Nick.”

The flatline seemed to be the sound of a gunshot that went straight through his body.

He woke up in a cold sweat, breathing heavily as he realized the sounds he had heard was really his alarm going off before the radio came on.

“Gooooooood morning, Orlando!!” A DJ cheerily spoke from the speaker. “Word on the street is that the Backstreet Boys are in town for an extended stay. Maybe recording more for another album? Hmmmm…” Kevin’s hand smacked down on the top of the clock, shutting the annoying man off with a groan.

“Thank…Thank God…it wasn’t real.” He wiped the tears out of his eyes and let out a heavy sigh. Of course nothing like that was going to happen. Jenn had opened her eyes just hours after he had seen her the first night. He was supposed to go pick her up this morning. Precisely the reason he had set his clock…

But he would call just in case.

“Kevin, I swear to God, you’ve got to stop calling me so damn early and waking me up. If you keep this up…” Chances were, she hadn’t been up long but she had expected the call, seeing as Kevin had been doing this since she had been admitted.

“Oh hush. I was just making sure you didn’t want breakfast before I-”

“Oh whatever. You just wanted to make sure I wasn’t dead.” Jenn laughed, chewing on a piece of toast.

“So what if I did?!” Kevin rolled his eyes, wishing he had skipped the phone call and went for the shower. “And now that I hear that you are alive and well, I will be hanging up now.”

“Awww, poor Kevin.” She was still laughing. “Upset because a woman was right.”

“Shut up and eat your..whatever your eating. I’ll be there in an hour.”

“Love you.”

“I…yeah.” It felt suddenly so awkward and strange to tell her that while she was awake, even though she had said it first. He figured it was still the guilt he felt from their fight a week ago.

But bringing her home would change everything. He was sure of it.

The object in his pocket assured him of that. Now if he could just get up the nerve to do it. If he could just be guaranteed a happiness with forever. With her. With his baby.

What could be bad about that? Nothing. Absoleutly nothing.

Or at least that’s how love stories were supposed to go. What about this was really typical though? That’s what put the fear in him. What would happen next…