- Text Size +
Chapter 14:Questioning


“An accident?” Howie asked, speaking up for the first time.

“Yeah, you know…it kinda happened that some girls could slip into the entrance hall and then spotted Brian down there…” Bubba was interrupted by AJ.

“Is he okay?” AJ was concerned.

“He and three of the girl where brought to the nearby hospital”, Bubba explained, trying not to show how feared he was to be asked how all of this could have happened.

“Hospital? How many girls have there been?” Kevin asked sharply.

“About twenty…” Bubba trailed off.

“Twenty? Where were you and your lot?” Nick exclaimed angrily

“You know…”, Bubba started, not knowing how to make his mistake sound less like a mistake.

He stopped dead as AJ brushed past him shouting.

“I donīt want to listen to this! I want to go to the hospital. Bubba get me a ride!” he demanded on making his way out of the room.

AJ couldnīt believe what had happened today. First this meeting crap with Kevin, the accusations of his oldest brother, then he was asked to ‘choose’ whether to support Nick, Howie and Kevin and the management and be a ‘good boy’ or being the bad guy again and side with Brian, then this ‘accident’ and now Brian was in the hospital.

He rushed to the elevator and pushed the button to the floor they had booked. He wanted to get to Leighanne, since they had also become close friends during the time AJ stayed at Brian’s and Leigh’s house in Atlanta.

As he wanted to knock on the door it already opened and Leighanne practically ran into him with Baylee on her arm.

“Hi Leigh. You going to the hospital?” He asked.

“Yeah, Bubba wanted to get me a ride. You coming along?” it sounded more like a plea than a question.

“Of course.”

************************************************************************

Brian opened his eyes, wondering where he was.

The room was bright white and there was an unknown man dressed in a white cloak examining some x-rays.

“A doctor?” Brian wondered.

Then he remembered. The elevator, the fans pushing in. The little girl falling senseless…

“Is the girl alright?” he asked, shocked how hoarse his voice was sounding barely above a whisper.

The doctor turned, little surprised that his patient suddenly talked to him.

“Ah, Mr. Littrell. Finally awake. How are you feeling?” he said coming close to the bed Brian was lying on.

Brian stayed silent for a second trying to decide how he actually felt. His rips and back started to hurt badly as he thought of it.

“Urrgh, I think I have been better before!” he pressed through clenched teeth.

“Iīll tell the nurse to give you something for the pain. You have some broken rips and a bruised kidney and back. Thatīs why you can move your legs properly right now, but itīll be gonna in a day or two!” the doctor explained to Brian obviously trying to sound comforting.

Brian hadnīt even realized that he had problems moving his legs. He felt much to exhausted to move much at all. The pain really was bad.

“Howīs the girl?” he asked suddenly remembering her.

“Which girl?” the doctor asked looking confused.

“There was a girl next to me in the elevator, and she became unconscious just before me. She was pretty young, maybe sixteen”, Brian explained concerned.

“I donīt know about her. I was only treating you since you were brought here. But Iīll ask if she was brought here.”

“Thank you Doctor…”

“My name is Tranton, Joe Tranton.”

“Thank you Doctor Tranton. By the way, my name is…”

“I know who you are. I have a fourteen years old daughter and you face is all over her room”, the doctor said smiling and left the room.

***********************************************************************

AJ and Leighanne sat in the van, which was about to bring them to the hospital, in silence.

Then Leighanne spoke up. Some tears could be seen in her eyes.
“When did everything start to go crazy? Where are the others? When did they change? Did we change? It this situation my fault? AJ, please tell me the truth!” she was crying by now.

AJ sadly watched as she broke down.

“Honestly Leigh, I donīt know, I really donīt know. All I know is that it is not you fault. Not yours and not Bayleeīs.” He said tearing his gaze for the crying wife of his best friend and brother.

There was silence for some minutes.

As Leighanne was sure her voice was strong enough to speak again she looked deep into AJ’s brown eyes. “Is he going to be okay? Are we going to be okay?”