- Text Size +
Chapter 2: Blame yourself


It was about 12.00 when their finally left the company. While they were heading towards the van which would bring them back to the hotel Kevin announced that they were going to have one of their Backstreet Meetings just after lunch.

“But I was gonna spend the day at the beach” Nick exclaimed.

“Nick is right there. The afternoon was supposed to be off” Howie said.

“Well, I just skipped it. There are things we have to talk about” Kevin shot a look at Brian.

“Yeah right. Blame me. I can take it” Brian thought bitterly. He had hoped that he could care for Baylee´s well-being this afternoon. What if they needed to really see the doc? Leighanne would want him around.

The drove back to the hotel went in complete silence. When they reached the hotel they all got out of the van and headed for the entrance hall. Kevin went for the receptionist to asked if there was a free conference room that afternoon. Howie and AJ took the elevator on the left side which left Nick and Brian to take the other one at the right side.

When the doors had closed and they were alone Brian looked up to Nick who was just staring at the display showing that they were going up.

“Nick I´m sorry Kevin skipped the free afternoon. I know you have looked forwards to it” Brian said quietly.

“He wouldn´t have had to skip it if you would have been on time” Nick spat back.

“Let me explain?” Brian begged

“No, I don´t wanna hear it. I guess it has something to do with Baylee or Leighanne?” Nick said in a harsh voice.

“Yeah, look, Baylee…” Brian began, but in this moment the elevator doors opened and Nick rushed out not caring what Brian was saying. Brian watched as Nick angrily shoved his keycard into the reader and slammed his door shout.

Brian dropped his head and made his way to their hotel room. When he opened the door he found Leighanne and Baylee lying on one of the couches in front of the TV sleeping. It seemed like Baylee had been vomiting again.

Brian looked at his watch. He had one and a half our before he had to be at the meeting. He kissed Leighanne on the check like he had done this morning. This time, she woke up immediately.

“Hey, you are all back. Great. Baylee hasn´t been doing any better” she said before kissing him back.

“I see. We are having another meeting in about an hour and a half. Kevin skipped the afternoon due to me being late. I thought Nick and Howie were going to kill me” Brian sighed.

“Didn´t you explain the Baylee…” she was interrupted by Brian.

“They wouldn´t let me”

“They are being unfair there, aren’t they?” Leigh stated

“You know them. They´ll calm down. I shouldn´t have been too late. It´s unprofessional” Brian sat down next to his sleeping son and putt his head in his hands.

“It´s unprofessional to be there when your son needs you?” Leighanne asked sitting down next to Brian.

Brian said nothing, just dropped his head in Leighanne´s lap. Leigh caressed his hair. She knew that the other Backstreeter were putting more and more pressure onto Brian to leave Baylee and herself at home. They had been talking about that, but Brian didn´t wanted it. He was afraid to miss something in Baylee´s growing that photos and stories couldn´t replace. He had been hesitant to start all over with the group at first. But Leighanne knew that this was what her husband loved the most, just after his son and maybe her.

They were sitting like that for some minutes. Leighanne realized that she was hungry, and she wanted her men to eat something as well.

“Brian, lets order something for lunch. I´m starving. And Baylee should at least having a little bit of soup. And have you had something to eat today?” she asked her husband, who had begun to fall asleep.

“No, I´m not hungry. Order whatever you want, I just gonna lay down a little bit. Please make sure I´m on time this time” he said without opening his eyes.

“You should eat something. And you have to let me get up to get the phone” Leighanne obviously was worried about her husbands lack of hunger.

Brian simply shook his head no.

“Than let me get up at least” she pleaded

Again Brian shook his head.

“Oh honey come on. Everything is going to be fine when tonight’s concert starts. It always is” she tried to comfort him.

Now Brian take is head from her lap to let her get up. Then he simply laid down again and looked up at her. She turned to get the phone.

“You know I love you, don´t you” he asked quietly.

She turned around, surprised by this sudden statement of her husband.

“Of course I do. And I love you even more” she smiled.

“I feel awful for leaving this morning and now again this afternoon. Call Doc Martin if you think you should. We´ll see what he thinks.”

“You know that it´s not your fault that Baylee is sick and that you were late”

“Who´s fault is it than? Baylee´s? Yours?” Brian turned on the couch and his back to his wife.

Leighanne wanted to say something, but decided that maybe and hour of sleep might be as well for him.