- Text Size +
Chapter 5: What you canīt do


N picked himself up about half an hour later. His head felt like it was going to explode. He left the toilet cabin and made his way to one of the sinks with some effort. He looked into the mirror into the sweaty and pale face of himself. He splashed a little water around his face, drank some and left to see what the Doc had found out about Baylee.

When Brian opened the door he was greeted by the familiar crying of his little son. He went to the bedroom he and Leighanne shared.

“Hi honey. Is he still not better?” Brian asked while sitting down on the bed next to Leighanne, who had Baylee in her arms.

“Hey yourself. Heīs a little better. Heīs just exhausted and really tried now.” Leighanne replied.

Baylee had realized that his daddy had finally come back and stopped crying to crawl over into his fathers lap. Baylee had always been a daddyīs boy.

“What did the Doc say?” Brian asked while caressing Baylees blonde hair.

“He said it looked like it was the flu. Heīs gonna take a look at him again tomorrow and in the next days. He gave us some medicine to stop the belly ache and the puking” Leighanne watched as Brian was smoothing Bayīs hair.

Baylee had almost calmed down completely. A few snobs escaped his small body as he started to fall asleep.

Brian softly began to sing to him. He didnīt really know if he needed it more than Baylle did.

I'll try to make the sun shine brighter for you
I will even play the fool if it makes you smile
I'll try to make you laugh if there's a tear in your eye
After all is said
After all is done
I'd do anything for you

Come with me, close your eyes
Hold my hand, it'll be alright
Don't be scared, don't be shy
Lift your head it's gonna be alright

As Brian finished Baylee had completely falled asleep. Brian put him down into his own bed and went back to the living room, where Leighanne was waiting for him on the couch.

“Thank god you came back” Leighanne said kissing Brian gently on the check.

“You are hot” she said suddenly.

“Thanks baby” Brian said in a funny deep voice, trying to bring her to other thoughts.

“You have a fever. You might have gotten the flu from Baylee” Leighanne wasnīt taking the joke.

“No honey. Look, Iīm fine. Iīm just a little upset because of this damn meeting” Brian lied.

“How did it go?” Leighanne wanted to know.

“They made me pay a forfeit. $10.000 I think.”

“Thatīs not fair” she exclaimed.

“I know...” Brian didnīt wanted to tell her that again the others had been complaining about her and Baylee joining the all tour so far.

She seemed to have read his mind.

“They did it again, didnīt they?” she asked not looking at him.

Brian said nothing.

“Maybe we should go home.” Leighanne was close to tears while saying this.

“No” Brian exclaimed, “no baby, I need you here with me. Both of you.”

“Maybe we should think about this again. Now that Bayleeīs sick and the others...” Leighanne was interruped by someone knocking on the door.

Brian sighed and got up to answere it.

“Hi, I just wanted to check on Baylee...and on you” AJ was standing in the hallway looking very uncomfortable.

“Come in” Brian swung the door open for AJ to enter.

“Hi beautiful woman!” AJ said smiling as he saw Leighanne sitting on the couch.

“Hey Alex...nice you came here” they were sharing a tight hug.

All of them sat down again.

“So...hows Baylee? Is he alright? Why are you crying Lee?” AJ asked.

Brian spoke up first: “ Heīs better. Just got im to sleep a little.”

“Sounds good. So why have you been crying Lee” AJ could be so stubborn sometimes.

“None of our business” Brian suddenly snapped before Leighanne could answer.

“Hey calm down, whats up with you?” AJ was getting angry.

“Whatīs up with me? Why are you here? Did Kevin send you to talk to me again or something?” Brian asked harshly.

“I just came over to see how Baylee is. And to talk two you both. Remember we used to do this once?” AJ was getting up.

“You should have talked earlier this day. How about during the meeting?” Brian rised his voice.

“What were you expecting me to do? Tell Kevin and the others to leave you? Tell them it wasnīt you fault?” AJ also rised his voice.

“Yeah, why not?” Brianīs voice suddenly was calm again and sounded hurt.

“Because...I couldnīt Rok. I just couldnīt. I...I need to go.” AJ rushed out of the room.

Brian was after him in a second: “ Wait AJ, I didnīt mean it. I never wanted to snap at you.”

But AJ just kept on running to his room and disappeared.

Brian hung his head, closed the door and went back to the couch.

“What was that about?” Leighanne still looked a little shocked about the fight that had taken place minutes before.

“It was my fault” was all Brian could say before burring his head into Leighannes lap again crying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Lyrics by Phil Collins – Come with me)