- Text Size +
Chapter 7: Keep good memories for the future

Back at the hotel Brian made his way directly to his room. Normally they would have had a small celebration of another gone-by concert, but surely Brian wouldn’t have attended it.

As he went into his bedroom he saw his wife lying in bed sound asleep next to a thankfully also deep sleeping Baylee. He went into the bathroom wearing a smile on his face. This was the sight making him go on and on every day, even it was hard like today. He was sure he would have gone crazy if he wouldn't have had them during the break.

He undressed and stepped into the shower, turning the water on as hot as possible, since his body still felt like he was going to get sick. As he stood underneath the water he began thinking about the day which for sure hasn’t been one of his greatest ever. But soon this day would be over and he would be sleeping next to his wife and son, dreaming and forgetting the whole day. But for how long? How long could he took it for granted to come back to the hotel after another concert and be greeted be his family? What if the management and the guys really made Leighanne go home with Baylee? His short feeling of happiness which the sight of his family had brought to him had vanished not leaving a single trace. Brian wasn't even tired anymore.

He left the shower, dried himself off and put on a pair of boxers and a t-shirt. He left for the bedroom. There they were. Both still asleep. Only a little lamp on the nightstand was still turned on. Leighanne had left it turned on for him to find his way to the bed safely as Brian knew.

Although Leighanne had again started to asked this afternoon after the meeting whether the guys had complained once more that she and Baylee were still there, she had no clue how serious the situation seemed this time.

Soon the decision whether they both be staying or not wouldn't be theirs anymore.

He made a mental note to himself to call his lawyer the next day.

Brian couldn't sleep at all. Too many thoughts were running through his head right now. He sat down in one of the armchairs which were located in the bedroom just to make it look fuller and more comfortable.

The small light threw a soft light on the sleeping forms of his family

What would be if they weren’t with him?



Nick stood in his room wondering what he should do right now. The private “after-show party” they normally held after a concert was skipped without anyone saying a single word of it.

This hadn’t been a good day. First the more or less unnecessary meeting this morning, then the cancelled noon off. And then the concert which, as a matter of fact, had been one of the lousiest ever. He had tried to lighten the mood during the concert by making funny comments and stuff, but without Brian as a backup it didn't really work out.
Damn him. Why had he to be late this morning? They could have had a really cool day and therefore a real good concert. But instead?

Where had the time gone when he and Brian would both be late for a meeting like that because they had shared a room and stayed up all night? When did he start to not know what to do on tour? Normally he was excited about every single day of it, because there was always something to look forward to.

Nowadays free days or afternoons were filled with boredom. Brian now would spend the time with his family. Had he usually really be spending all his time with Brian? It looked so, because he couldn't think of anything to do without him being around.

His gaze fell to the PS2 on the floor in front of the TV. He had been playing right before they needed to leave for the concert. But he wasn't in the mood right now. It also seemed boring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Flashback ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I'll get you!” an excited Nick yelled while wildly pressing the buttons of his controller.

“Yeah right. Maybe I'll wait for you right after the finish line!” Brian yelled back.

“Arrrgggghhhh” Nick growled back. He couldn't stand loosing to Brian.

They were playing “Mario-Kart” in one of the too many hotel rooms on the “Backstreet’s back-Tour” in Europe. It was close to midnight. Nick had been to het up to sleep right after the concert. And when he wasn't able to sleep he often started to get homesick. When he had started to cry Brian, in the bed next to him, had immediately woken up. He had comforted Nick and then suggested to play a little Nintendo to get Nicks mind away from home.

Of course it worked.

They had been playing quite a while when suddenly Kevin stormed into the room furiously about them being still awake and also being so loud.

After ordering them to stop playing he had been on Nick’s heels again.

“I guess you have been homesick again? Nick, you finally…” he was interrupted by Brian.

“No Kev, I wasn't sleepy so I asked him to challenge me in Mario-Kart. You know him, he couldn't say no” Brian jumped in for his friend.

“Brian, you are way too old for this” Kevin started what looked like to become a long lecture to his younger cousin again.

“But…” Nick didn't want to be the cause of trouble for his best friend.

“No, Nick. You go to bed. I guess I have to talk o my little cousin once again!” Kevin ordered.

Nick didn't like to leave but when Kevin wasn't watching Brian rolled his eyes and gave Nick the thumbs-up sign.
Later when Brian came to bed as well he was smiling and telling Nick that he had no clue what Kevin been talking about since he, Brian, had been singing “When the saints go marching in” over and over in his head.

They both were laughing so hard that they were afraid Kevin might be back in seconds…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~End of flashback~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick decided to finally go to bed.

While he was undressing a familiar song kept running through his head and he quietly singing to himself. “Oh when the saints/go marching in/oh when the saints go marching in…”