- Text Size +
Chapter 8: A wise decision?


Brian kept his promise to call his lawyer the next morning. Well, it wasn’t really morning since it was half past three that night. He hadn't slept. He wanted to look at his family for as long as possible.

Now he finally left the armchair he had been sitting in the whole night through and went to the living room. He took his cell out of the backpack he used to take to the concerts with him. He dialled the all too familiar number of his lawyer, Marc Bristol. Since Bristol was living in L.A. Brian did not hesitate to call him right now.

Bristol picked up the phone immediately.

“This is Marc Bristol?”

“Hey Marc, this is Brian. How are you doing?” Brian asked politely.

“Well, I’m fine. Did you know that I had a meeting with Barry Steven and Bob Curlin today?” Bristol asked.

Steven and Curlin were Kevin's and Howie´s lawyers.

“No I didn't” Brian said. He wasn't really caring.

“Yeah we talked about the development in the Pearlman-process…” Bristol obviously wanted to start telling him everything new.

“Look, Marc. Don't get this wrong but I don't care about Pearlman right now. There is something else I want you to check.” Brian interrupted.

“Oh…ok. Now I'm curious. Shot.” Bristol now really seemed to be interested.

Brian told Bristol the whole situation and asked him to take a closer look at his contract whether the management really had the right to make his family go home.

“Man, this is tricky. So I'm gonna look if there's any way for us to achieve that Leighanne and Baylee can stay and join or, if there is not way…you really wanna do that?” Bristol summarized his tasks now.

“No, I don't. But if there is no other way…” Brian said quietly.

“I see. I'll do what ever you want.” Bristol sounded a little hesitant.

“Marc, I never wanted it to go this way. That wasn’t really my decision. Do what you can. Call me as soon as possible. And…Marc, don't tell Steven and Curlin or anyone else.”

“But I will have to investigate and or management might notice what I'm trying to do.” Bristol explained.

“That's okay. If they notice, we can't help. Just don't go telling anybody.” Brian sighed.

“Okay, I'm gonna call you back ASAP.” Bristol said.

“Alright. Bye.” Brian hung up.

He took a deep breath. What if he really had to go that far? He tried not to think about that. It was now 4 a.m. Brian decided to go back to his spot in the armchair in he bedroom.



Kevin also had a troubled night. He had been asleep till now, but had set his alarm clock to call his wife in New York.

He dialled the number and waited for his wife to pick up her cell.

“Hey Kevy. I was just thinking about you!” she greeted him.

“Hey baby. How are you?” Kevin was pleased to hear the voice of his wife again. He had missed her.

But otherwise than other specific Backstreet wives his Kristin had her own career to care about. Their marriage was different from the one that Brian and Leighanne had. They were both working, they had other things on their mind than pamper some dogs or attend stupid TV-shows.

“Or care for a baby” a bitter voice said in his head.

That was true. Kristin and he had tried to have children on their own. But they wouldn't get pregnant. They both had been checked if they were able to have children. Both were. But it wouldn't work. They blamed it on everything. On the pressure of fame, on the problems they had had during their marriage, on everything in the world. And when Leighanne, who over he time had become a close friend to Kristin, had called and happily told them they she and Brian were expecting a baby, their joy was understandable limited.

Now Brian had told him and the other guys that Leighanne and Baylee were about to join in while touring, they were all okay with it. But suddenly Kevin had discovered how much it hurt him to see Brian playing the daddy-role for his son and how perfect this little family was. He had asked Kristin whether she also wanted to join, but as she had just started rehearsals for a new musical she was doing, she said no.

He listened to Kristin telling him everything about the new job thinking how much more he would appreciate if she was here with him. But he had learned during their marriage that Kristin had her own opinion about this kind of stuff. They had had several fights about something like this, which had given their friends a lot of stuff to talk about.

Very wisely Kevin didn't tell Kristin about the plans of the management and their own plans to make Leighanne go home to get Brian `back´ into the group. He somehow knew she wouldn't understand that. But they needed Brian now, more than ever. The success they had with the new album and the singles they had brought out so far was incredible and never to be expected. Now it looked like all the success they had had before had just been another step to something bigger and greater than everything so far. And Brian just didn't care. He was beng selfish, so Kevin thought.

“This is strange. He wasn't raised to be selfish. Maybe the fame and the money at least have also taken their tolls on Brian” Kevin thought while still listening to his wife on the phone.

“Kevin, are you listening to what I'm trying to tell you?” Kristin asked sounding angry by now.

“Yes dear, what do you think?” Kevin lied and continued to think how everything would go on from here.