- Text Size +
~ 16 ~




Sleep came natural to everyone around me but of course all I was able to do was toss and turn. I was completely exhausted but there was no way I was going to sleep after what happened at the lake. I wasn’t about to take any chances. So once I heard every single person snoring in the tent and yes, they ALL snore…I sat up and grabbed a Coke out of the cooler. Caffeine would keep me up, that was for sure. One soda usually had me bouncing off the walls. Now if I had candy on top of that, I’d be good to go.



I’m not even sure how they could all sleep knowing that a family just disappeared into thin air. That coupled with the weird weather and all the strange things happening. I couldn’t be the only one totally freaked out could I?



I found myself looking down at the sleeping form of Howie. He was all cuddled up in his sleeping bag with his mouth hanging open as a line of drool slowly crept out of there. “Eww how gross.”



“You should sleep. It’s not good for you to stay awake all night.”



I let out a tiny scream and quickly covered my mouth, luckily no one even stirred. It’s a good thing I wasn’t being killed or anything. After I was able to dislodge my heart from my throat I managed to calm myself down enough to speak to Casper who was just sitting there right on top of Howie.



“Where have you been?” I whispered to him.



“Sorry…it’s getting a little harder for me to come visit you. He’s starting to realize I’m helping you out and he does not like it very much.”



“Who is he? It’s time you start giving me some real answers.”



“All you need to know is if he wants you he’s going to get you. It’s only a matter of time which means you have got to get out of here soon.”



“Why, you need to just tell me everything Casper…”



Casper looked around the tent as if he was scared which made me flat out almost shit myself. How bad must things be if a ghost is scared? “There are things living here Nick…evil and terrible things.”



“Yeah, that much I got already.”



“NO, I don’t think you have because if you really and truly did get that, you wouldn’t still be here.”



“We are trapped, there’s no way to get out.” That thought brought a sobering question out of my mouth, “By the way…where are Sarah and Mary Beth?”



“Gone.”



“What do you mean gone?”



“I mean gone…they are gone and if you don’t leave soon, you will be gone as well.”



“Do you mean they are…dead?” I stuttered as I asked the question.



“Maybe they were never alive to being with Nick.”



“What?”



“Look, there are things happening all around you, things that you will never understand. You guys stumbled upon something bad here and you need to leave before it’s too late.”



“But how?”



“You’re going to have to go through the woods.”



“But you keep telling me to stay out of the woods!”



“I know but…if you don’t leave now, its going to be too late.”



“Now as in right now?”



“No, now as in first thing in the morning. They sleep during the day…for the most part.”



“But you said…”



“Nickolas…I know what I said and I still mean what I said. It’s going to be incredibly dangerous for you in those woods. But if you just stay here you are sitting ducks. All of you. It’s the only way… so you need your rest, when the time comes and you travel into the woods, you’re going to need all the strength you have.”



“But…”



“Nick go to sleep, I’ll keep watch and make sure nothing happens to you. I am sitting on your friend right now aren’t I? This is the guy you are scared of isn’t it?”



“I’m not afraid of Howie.”



“Yes you are…you think he’s evil.”



“Isn’t he?”



“Not particularly no…”



“But I saw two of them.”



“Because your mind let you…don’t you get it? It’s starting to happen Nick.”



“Oh my God!! I don’t understand what you’re trying to tell me. Can you please just talk in plain English?” I shouted that a little louder than I should have which made Kevin sit bolt upright.



“What is wrong?” He asked me alarmed. “Did you have another dream?”



“NO…well yeah…kind of.”



“Tell him…” Casper insisted.



“Tell him what?”



“Nick? Who the hell are you talking to?”



“Tell him you guys need to leave tomorrow.”



“Kevin, we need to leave tomorrow.”



“I know that little man. We are going to try to get out of here first thing in the morning…okay? Are you feeling okay?”



I nodded at him but in truth I wasn’t feeling all that great at all. I think he figured that out because next thing I knew, he was coming over and sitting next to me, once again placing his hand on my forehead and frowning. “You have a fever buddy.”



“I’m okay.”



“You should get some sleep. Tomorrow AJ and I will go and find some help for us.”



“No, we should all go together.”



“Nick, I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to be hiking all around the woods with a fever, especially since this weather is so unpredictable. You, Brian and Howie will just stay here while we go for help.”



“Can’t you see that’s what he wants to happen? Don’t let him do that Nick.” Casper urged.



“I want to go too Kevin. I think we should all go, it’s not safe here.”



“You will be safer here than in the woods.”



I shook my head at him but knew better than to argue right now. I would try again in the morning and if worse came to worse, I’d resort to tears. Tears always seemed to get to Kevin; it was his one weakness where I was concerned. I didn’t like to pull out those guns but if the need arose, I was ready and willing. Sure the other guys would laugh, there would be mocking followed by months and months of ridicule but I was willing to chance it if it meant not being eaten by the mysterious tree people or whatever the hell was out here in these woods.



“Go to sleep little man, I’ll stay awake for a little bit, just in case you need anything, okay?” I nodded at him.



“Kev…I’m sure Kris isn’t mad at you anymore.” I’m not exactly sure what made me say that, but I thought it was a nice thing to say. Maybe not true? But nice all the same.



“Don’t let him leave you behind Nick.” Casper warned. Apparently he isn’t a mind reader, but I think I am happy about that.



“No worries.”



“No worries about what?” Kevin asked me.



“Just in general…no worries, everything will work out.” I said as if I was speaking to Kevin even thought it must have looked odd because I was directing that to a sound asleep Howie who happened to have a ghost lying on top of him. He’d be completely freaking out if he knew a ghost was sitting on him right now.



“Get some sleep baby, okay?” I nodded and laid down in my sleeping bag. Once my head hit the pillow my eyes felt heavy and I instantly regretted my decision to pound down an entire Coke. My bladder was yelling at me to do my business.



“Ack!”



“What now?” A sleepy Kevin Richardson asked me. If he didn’t already have a dart board in his house with my face on it, he would after this trip. Oh who am I kidding? Of course he has a dart board with my face on it, I’m sure they all do.



“I have to pee.”



“Well, then go pee.”



“I’m afraid to.”



“Why?”



“Because the last time I went outside by myself I ended up jumping in the lake.”



He sighed and pulled his hands through his hair, “Would you like me to go out there with you?”



I sat up, “No, it’s okay…just… if I don’t come back right away come out and get me okay?”



Kevin smiled at me, it was one of those ‘aww how cute and what a geek’ type of smiles. I swear to God these guys will never let me live this trip down.



I stood up and walked outside of the tent, hoping that Casper would follow me, he did of course. I was glad he didn’t disappear even after Kevin said he would stay awake. “I have to go Nick…he’s going to realize I’m missing.”



“Who is he?”



“It’s hard to explain.”



“Isn’t everything…just tell me who he is Casper.”



“Okay fine…my father.”



“Your father?”



“Yes…” Suddenly a huge gust of wind came out of nowhere followed by a fierce howl. “That’s him now…I have to go. Stay safe Nick, I’ll see you in the morning.”



“But wait a minute…” He was gone within a second, leaving me alone in the creepy woods. So much for keeping watch all night huh?



I let out a sigh and walked behind the tent to the closest tree I could find. At this point, I would have settled for peeing in a cup in the tent than being out here a second longer than I had to be. My friend Mr. Winkie had other plans though. Of course he chose now of all times to be stubborn. “Come on!” I said jumping up and down as the wind once again picked up.



Then I heard it, clear as day…a small clicking sound, just as I started to pee of course. It was behind me and sounded as if it was slowly creeping up to get closer. “Kevin…” I whispered as I once again started jumping, not like that was going to stop me from peeing. When you had to go you had to go.



Once again the sound came a little closer, leaves began to crackle under the weight of its feet, if it even had feet.



“Kevin…” I said again as finally my body decided to let me stop my business and get moving.



Suddenly the sound stopped for a second as another gust of wind came howling. I wasn’t going to give it a chance to start up again, I ran back towards the tent and opened it with such force I fell getting inside.



“Nick what in the world?”



I fell on top of Kevin…naturally. “Sorry, I thought I heard something out there.”



“Get off of me!” whatever little patience he managed to gather for me for the last few minutes was rapidly dwindling down.



I moved off of him and back to my sleeping bag, where once again I wrapped myself snuggly inside. It occurred to me briefly that if there was something out there that wanted to get me, what would stop it exactly? I’m sure it could easily get into the tent if it wanted to. I wonder why it never did. I’d have to make a mental note to ask Casper that the next time I saw him.



“Goodnight little man.”



“Night Kev.” I yawned and closed my eyes, hoping that my dreams would be happy or better yet, nonexistent.



~*~*~*~*~*~




“Nick wake up.” Brian whispered in my ear. So much for sleep I guess, although part me was grateful for the interruption. I swear I was just about to sing a song with an aardvark.



“Oh my God…” The way he said that alarmed the crap out of me so my eyes popped open in time for Brian to push me down towards his lap.



“Brian what the hell?”



“Shut up Nick…don’t say a word.” No one else was in the tent. It was just the two of us and I wanted to ask what was going on when I saw a light shining directly outside.



“Oh my God.” He whispered once again.



This was all feeling vaguely familiar. “Brian, what’s going on? You’re smothering me!”



“You have to be quiet…” He urged now sounding completely panicked.



The light outside the tent was getting closer as was a symphony of voices, none of which sounded familiar to me.

“Where are the rest of the guys?” I asked him trying to get free from his grasp.



“Nick you have to shut up…can’t you see this might be it?”



“What are you talking about?”



Before he had the chance to answer, the tent started to unzip slowly and Brian finally let go of me as it did. It made such an awful sound, but what was even scarier was the thing that was doing the unzipping. I couldn’t really make out what it was but the clicking was instantly recognizable, it was the same sound I heard when I was peeing before.



“Brian…what’s going to happen?”



“I…I…don’t know.” He managed to stutter out just as the thing broke through the tent and Brian screamed.



I sat up in a cold sweat, barely able to catch my breath. The sound of everyone snoring echoed through the tent, including Kevin, who swore that he would stay awake. So much for that I guess. My hands were shaking terribly as I looked over at Brian. He was sleeping so soundly, it looked like he had no cares in the world, lucky him.



“It was the same dream I had in the car…” I said to myself as it dawned on me why it all felt so familiar. It was basically the same exact plot only different location.



My eyes turned to the front of the tent as I heard that clicking sound once again…it was right outside the tent now and this time I wasn’t dreaming, there were shadows of figures lined outside of the tent, almost as if it was surrounded. I looked at my band mates, willing them to wake up, but none of them stirred.



“Guys…” I whispered…barely able to contain my shaky voice at all.



Now mixed with the clicking sounds were red flashes all around the tent, it was as if we were in the middle of a circus or something it was so bright out there.



“Guys!” I said a little louder which this time was met with a slight stir by AJ.



“AJ!”



“What?” Thank God!



“Get up…something is happening outside.” I said shaking him awake which he wasn’t enjoying at all.



“Oh my God I am going to KILL you!” He said, sitting up disgusted as he pushed my arm away from his shoulder. “What is it?”



The light outside was almost blinding but the clicking was more distant than before, “That!” I said pointing to the red flashing lights all around us.



“What?”



“The lights.”



“What lights?”



“You don’t see all the lights?” I was confused I mean how could he not see them? It was so bright outside it seemed almost as if it was daylight.



“I don’t see lights.”



“But…”



“Jesus holy mother fucking Christ kid…there are no lights!” He stood up and started walking towards the door of the tent and that’s when it occurred to me that maybe whatever was outside needed him to do that.



“AJ NO!” I said, standing up and tackling him to the ground, of course waking up everyone else in the process.



“What the hell?” Kevin asked grabbing me off of AJ as I bat at his hand. I couldn’t let AJ unzip the tent. “Nick, relax!”



“He’s gone ape shit crazy Kevin… its official.”



“No AJ, don’t open that please!” I begged.



Brian and Howie were watching as well, kind of in that state of sleep where you were just woken up by some insane kid yelling…that insane kid being me.



“Look Nick there is nothing out there!” AJ said walking over and unzipping the tent’s door as Kevin held me under his legs.



AJ was wrong…


Thanks for reading! There will probably not be an update on this one next week since it's Shadow Woods turn for a break, but you neevr know lol just giving you a heads up. :O)