- Text Size +
-Ok this is how I’ll have this story set up since as to be no confusion, every other chapter is coming from a one of the two men’s point of view. Only Xavier and Howie will have that. So this chapter to get you guys acquainted with: is Howie’s POV.

“Distant Faces”

~Chapter One: My Side of the world

The soft cushion was comforting as I felt close to drifting off into a nap that I needed with our crazy schedule. I was glad we got some time off now to recuperate from the insanity that our beloved fans bring us. Exhaling a soft sigh in relief, I let myself welcome the slumber I needed for the past few days. Since we were rehearsing for the new fall tour, sleep was something we needed to sneak in cause we barely had time to wipe our butts right with how constricted everything in an orderly fashion occurred.

There was a soft itch coming from my right arm as I welcomed the dream world in my slumber. I was tempted to scratch the itch away so I can go back to my rest but I was so dead tired, the thought of opening my eyes to ruin my sleep just sounded wrong. Again I felt the slight tickle on my right elbow it was now becoming annoying. Then the itch left as if whatever was the cause of it had gone which to my relief didn’t interrupt my slumber. After a few moments I felt a soft tickle as if a feather was brushing up against my cheek. Shifting around on the sofa I raise my right hand to brush away the itch when I realized my hand had something on it. Opening my eyes, I sit up to see the other four group members howling with laughter as my whole right side of my face is smeared in honey and whip cream.

I looked up to see Nick grinning, holding a white feather, waving it before me as if to tease me with it.

“Haha, real funny guys.” I muttered, trying to wipe the sleep from my eyes. Brian wiggles his eyebrows, giving the tall blonde man a high five on it as Kevin settles into the lounge chair in my suite.

“Lighten up man. You were asking for it.” Nick beams, his light eyes sparkling mischievously towards me.

“Yeah yeah I’m fine. I’ll get ya back. Revenge is sweet.” I simply state, looking at the others.

“Howie’s mad. Look at him trying to make threats now.” A.J. cracks up, holding his side as he takes his shades off to peer at me.

At his comment the others snicker and I felt a playful ruffle in my hair from Brian as he dances away towards the kitchenette heavily stacked with foods of all kind.

I love these guys, they’re my second family and as goofy as Nick is or as serious Kevin can get, we all seem to fit and mesh well with each other. It was great being back on the road after a good four to five year break. We all needed it to find ourselves and step back from all the fame to really appreciate what we’ve accomplished throughout the years as a group. Like any family, we’ve had our up and downs and still managed to keep it together. And for that, I’m a lucky guy, I don’t think I could imagine my life without these knuckleheads.

“See there he goes not listening now. I knew Nick was rubbing off on him.” A.J. leans back on the plush white couch across from me.

I blinked and realized I had zoned out for the past few seconds as they were talking to me. Normally that’s Nick job, but somehow today I was the one using it. “Heh, I’m listening…”

“Oh yeah what did I just say then mister suave?” Kevin raises his thick eyebrows.

Blinking, I smile and look at each of their faces to see if I can guess what was being talked about. I’m not a bad liar, I hated to do it unless it was under circumstances but I preferred the truth. There was something about it that makes life just a little easier.

“Oh yeah…well you were talking…and yeah…you were talking…” I blurted out as Nick claps his hands in amazement, falling off the side of the couch in hysterics.

“What are you laughing at? I’m still a little out of it. Cut me some slack.” I mumble out, sitting back against the couch, crossing my arms before me on my chest.

“Well…pay attention next time. I said we’re going to a party tomorrow night, it’s a charity to help raise money for the relief funds and we’re doing a little performance. I was asking what songs should we do that would be connected to the topic of that party without pissing people off.” Kevin raises his thick eyebrows, eyeing me with those thick bushes above his eyes.

“Oh…well a nice song…since its to raise money, what about…” I stop talking as A.J. jumps in, cutting me off as usual. I was used to it, it didn’t matter to me as long as someone answered the question. Though I could have been warned at least if he was gonna do that.

“Er sorry Howie. I had the song and I didn’t want it to leave my thoughts.” A.J. smiles: tugging on his shades, taking them off to tuck it onto the collar of his shirt.

“No its fine. That’s a good song. I gotta find the lyrics though I can’t remember what comes after one of the lines.” I state between yawns. Yeah I was tired recently and it was hard for me to stay focus on anything when in the middle of a nap. But I tried and hey at least I didn’t pass out like I did the last time during a large conference with the president of our music company. That was beyond embarrassing as the only thing I can recall was me falling off one of the chairs deep in sleep as everyone surrounded me looking down at me. I had opened my eyes as everyone including the president of the company was peering down at me curiously. I didn’t know what else to say on that as I had cleared my throat, excusing myself for water so I could wake up. I tell you, at times it’s a risk losing sleep but this is what happens when I picked this path. And I don’t hold any regrets on it.

After the brief meeting, I slump back into the sofa eager to catch up on sleep when Nick decided he wanted to talk to me out of the rest of the guys. Normally, he runs to A.J. or Brian first. But for some reason, he was up to something and took a seat besides me smiling.

“What?” I grunt out keeping a sharp eye on the fair headed man.

“You ain’t get no sleep or something that you were out of it today?” Nick asks concerned.

Shaking my head, I lean back letting my body sink into the soft plush white sofa around me. “I was trying to get some when you guys came here. That was the reason why I came back here but you all decided to follow me.”

“Cause if we didn’t, you would have missed the little meeting and be lost. And a lost Howie is quite entertaining.” A.J. pipes up, sipping some cola right off the can. He pours the cold liquid into a glass cup, handing it to me. “It’ll get you up, you can sleep later. I say we go out and have some fun. When was the last time we went out together as a group?”

“Too long if you ask me.” Kevin rest his hand on his leg that was propped up on his other thigh, looking around.

“Ahh good, we’ll need it. Come on Howie! Time to party!” A.J. starts yanking at my arm.

“Guys, I’m really not up for it. I just want to sleep. Is that too much to ask?” I grumble out. Honestly all I was asking for was just a good hour nap or something, anything so I wouldn’t be out of it for the rest of the day. I had too many things in my mind and most of the time I’m so restless and sleep is limited. I still get teased about the time when we were filming for the video “Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely” when I managed to sleep standing up during the set. Crazy I know, but I was dead tired and I like sleeping at times.

“Ahh you gotta ruin it. Fine sleeping beauty sleep away we’re gonna have a party without you.” Brian snickers, exiting my room as the others slowly follow and exit. After a minute I sit up looking to see if the guys had all left and sure enough Nick was there looking over at me with a grin, sitting across from me.

“No you’re not gonna convince me.” I blurt out, knowing that was the reason the youngest member was still hanging around here.

“Relax man. I say you should come. You’ll like it. And you can sleep there if you want, you have the ability to sleep anywhere right?” He grins sheepishly, standing up taking my arm up in the process.

Smirking, I shake my head: “I’m not in a party mood tonight. But you go and have fun for me. Knowing A.J. I’m sure you’ll forget I’m not even there.”

“Awww…what’s sad is you’re probably right.” Nick heads to the door, “But I’ll bring you back a doggy bag.”

“Ah gee thanks. I feel so loved.” The sofa pillows behind me start poking at my lower back.

“No problem.” Nick snickers, exiting my room as I sigh out in relief and look down to see I still have some whip cream splattered across my shirt and jeans. Finally after much thought and consideration I managed to get off the couch to clean myself off and settle down on the bed for a nice long awaited nap cause I needed it.
~*~

The brash sound kept going off in my dream and I couldn’t tell where it was coming from. The ringing noise was sounding off as if around me and I dug my head under the pillow trying to block it out. Realizing it was my cell going off, I dig my hand out of the white cotton covers to snatch it up looking at the caller ID. It was a private number that wasn’t listed in my address book so I don’t feel like answering it. Tossing the phone aside I sigh in relief as I let sleep back into my world.
~*~

I don’t know what’s wrong with me, heh one minute I’m completely somber and the next I think I lost it. I’m standing on a table with a bull-horn shouting bingo numbers to a table of middle age people looking at me like I was insane. Blame the liquor, not my fault I can’t handle it well. I told the guys I don’t like drinking too much cause I don’t want to get wasted. And you know what they did. They got me wasted. Its two thirty in the morning at the club, and here I was acting like an idiot and not giving a care in the world about it. Brian seemed to be enjoying it the most, seeing this side of me. Nick thought it was hoot and was already feeling a little tipsy himself as he swayed on the bar stool drowning down a shot.

Kevin watched us all make a complete ass of ourselves as he gaze at us like a disapproved guardian. A.J. the only somber one left in the group snickers, shaking his head as he pulls out a digital camera capturing us in this dazed mood. It seemed after I managed to get a good night sleep, the following day the guys wanted to go and celebrate just for the hell of it and plus it was Kevin’s birthday and for once I felt good knowing I’m not as old. I stumble over to Kevin grinning as I dip my finger into the green icing of the large rectangular cake, smearing some of it on his nose and chin. “There we go birdie! Time to fly!” I shout out causing the others to snicker in laughter.

What the hell did I drink that I’m so drunk? This isn’t normally me but I do like to let go out at times and I needed a stress reliever fast. All the planning was getting to me and I was finally convinced by Nick to come out to a club with them. So here I am, gazing at Kevin, barely able to stand on my own two feet as Kevin shakes his head, his eyes narrow at me as if I should know better. But do I have to always be chummy and all smiles. No. I mean sure I’m all for if life hands you lemons make lemonade but I need to be able go out and have some fun right? This is the only fun I can have beyond the tour. I like my life and I say you only live once so I want to be able to take advantage of it while I’m still young. Or heh: at least before I reach Kevin’s age. So I lean on the counter as a waitress walks by eyeing us oddly and blinks, staring directly at me before running off.

A fan I guess, we get a variety of fans: its like different ingredients: we get the loud crying ones, the mute silent ones that can only smile and wave and then there are those that freak out and run off, like the waitress just did. I’m so used to it, I didn’t think anything more of it as Kevin starts cutting up the cake, giving each of us a piece.

Remind me to never listen to Nick again, I think I’m getting too old to go out to clubs: the liquor and I will be having quite the conference tomorrow morning in the bathroom.

The waitress comes back, gasping as she looks pass the others and stand there whispering something to another woman, this one much taller and darker hair who frowns at my direction.

Okay, so maybe they’re not fans but why are they looking at me so oddly? The waitress seems almost bothered with my presence at the club and she’s been antsy around me since I came in. Hope she isn’t one of those bashers. I tend to get picked out from the group often cause I’m so nice and people just want to put a few jabs at me cause I’m the “sweet” one, the one that wouldn’t say anything bad to you in your face. But I take it as I leave it and simply brush it off. Hell, I was the one the media picked out as the ‘gay” one since it seems every “boy band” has one. But I love women like I love food. Every type is perfect and I couldn’t ask for a more perfect girlfriend then I have now. So the media can go screw themselves for all I want. They seem to like picking out the crop and going after someone and for our group I tend to be that target for that and if you want a party boy they’ll go after Nick since A.J. gave up that lifestyle to stay out of their way.

The waitress keeps eying me at this point and I was beginning to get uncomfortable. “Guys…I think I’m gonna head out now.” I stumble towards the exit of the club as A.J. snorts yelling out its too early to leave.

But I didn’t want to stay around if I’m getting weird looks from people. Besides I’m too wasted to be standing around, I can almost taste what I ate this morning and that’s never a good thing. Nick takes my arm, leading me out of the club as I can feel that woman’s piercing stares at me even as I left the place.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**