- Text Size +
Chapter Three

That evening, Isabelle made her way to the common room where the students relaxed during their free times or in the evenings.

Brian was already in there doing some home work. He glanced up as she walked in and smiled at her.

"How are you doing?" He asked her kindly.

She sat down next to him stretching her legs out with a sigh.

"Doing good." She replied lazily with a smile. "How are things with you?"

Brian shrugged.

"Same, I am kind of glad to be back here at school actually, things are so different at home." He said softly.

"Like what?" Isabelle asked looking at him.

"It's just hard. When I went home for visit, I found out that my older brother Harold is going to marry this girl I don't really know."

"I am really sorry that you are upset about this."

Brian looked up locking eyes with her.

"Yeah... so many things are changing, feelings between people change and I guess that there isn't anything that a person can do to control these feelings."

Isabelle felt her breath catch. She felt her heart start to flutter at his words.

This is crazy! She thought. Brian has been your friend since level 7, why would things start to change? No things will not change because people are not here for romance, they are here for ballet!

Isabelle shifted and looked at Brian again.

"There are more important things in life than love." She said calmly, trying to keep her nerves out of her voice.

Brian looked at her with his gentle blue eyes.

"Like what?"

"Well...Ballet, ballet is more important than love."

Brian shook her his.

"Not everyone loves ballet the way you do Isabelle. For other people, love is the most important thing in the world."

"But ballet is the most important to you right?" Isabelle asked.

Brian looked at her, he saw the worry in her eyes. His heart fluttered. She was so beautiful and he was almost sure he loved her.

"There are a lot things that are important to me." He finally answered.

Isabelle sat back silently. Things in the room were too tense.

"Cheer up little Isa." Brian said in his special Donald Duck voice.

She burst out laughing just like he had hoped.

"Oh Brian, you are so funny." She laughed, playfully hitting his arm.

Brian grinned weakly. Would he forever be known as the funny guy? For once he wanted to be the Incredibly Cute Guy.

"So what were you doing?"

"Well, I was supposed to be doing my homework for English, but I decided to work on my music homework first." He answered still holding his notebook.

"Did you already write a song?" She asked amazed.

"I have a few written." He said feeling his cheeks warm up.

"Do you think I could hear one?" Isabelle asked.

She was really impressed that he could write songs so easily.

Brian hesitated.

"Well, ok." He picked up the guitar next to him and began to strum and sing.

In Christ alone will I glory
Though I could pride myself in battles won
For I’ve been blessed beyond measure
And by His strength alone I’ll overcome
Oh, I could stop and count successes
Like diamonds in my hands
But those trophies could not equal
To the grace by which I stand

In Christ alone
I place my trust
And find my glory in the power of the cross
In every victory
Let it be said of me
My source of strength
My source of hope
Is Christ alone

Isabelle felt her breath catch. The words were beautiful even if she weren't big on religion herself.

She had no idea that Brian was.

She watched as he glanced up and met her eyes. She smiled at him and he returned the smile still singing.


In Christ alone will I glory
For only by His grace I am redeemed
For only His tender mercy
Could reach beyond my weakness to my need
And now I seek no greater honor in just to know Him more
And to count my gains but losses to the glory of my Lord

In Christ alone
I place my trust
And find my glory in the power of the cross
In every victory
Let it be said of me
My source of strength
My source of hope

As Brian continued to sing, Isabelle realized that these words were very close to his heart. She could tell by the way his beautiful voice sang the words and the expressions he wore as he sang that this was something he really loved.

She was stunned by how beautiful his voice was. It was hypnotizing. She felt her heart fill with love for him and his beautiful song.


In Christ alone
I place my trust
And find my glory in the power of the cross
In every victory
Let it be said of me
My source of strength
My source of hope
Is Christ alone
Is Christ alone

As Brian slowly finished, he returned his gaze to her. He was shocked to see the tears in her eyes. He didn't want to make her upset.

"That was beautiful Brian." Isabelle whispered softly.

He blushed.

"Just something I love to do."

"You could be famous with that voice!" She exclaimed.

He laughed.

"I hope when my ballet career is over that I will have the chance to do a record."

"I'll buy it." She said shyly.

He shifted nervous.

Isabelle smiled at him again and they sat in a happy silence. She wondered, could she be falling for her friend Brian Littrell?