- Text Size +
Part One

Mama, take this badge off of me
I can't use it anymore.
It's gettin' dark, too dark for me to see
I feel like I'm knockin' on heaven's door

It had started as a small corner store robbery. When he had walked in there, he looked normal and remained calm until a group of loud German tourist had brought all the junk food, beer and cigarettes they wanted he had advanced with one pocket full with his balled fist. He moved it around as if something was in there.

“Give me all the money or you’re going to die tonight.” He said to her and her eyes grew wide. She gasped as she looked down at his pocket. She began emptying the money into one of the store bags that read simply “thank you”. It was one of those cheap branded bags in which any store could use.

She shoved him the bag and he grabbed it gently.

“I wasn’t going to kill you,” he said sincerely and she nodded quickly without a sound. “I just want some money. It’s not your fault, but can I have five minutes before you call the cops. Please?”

“Sure,” she said breathing in heavily, “Whatever you want.”

“Thank you.” He said walking out and slipping into an old, red car that was in bad need of a paint job. He drove down to another store after one so in his mind he could throw the police off if they came looking for him. It had been ten minutes since the girl had agreed. Most likely they were interviewing her now and conversing with other patrols. He pulled into a remotely clear and quiet Chinese shop. Sliding out, he hurried inside and fidgeted like before.

“Hi,” he said with a reserved smile to a petite young woman. Her eyes were beautiful and Asian and he admired her beautiful face. He didn’t want to scare her. So he brought a pack of gum and some twizzlers.

“Three twenty five please.” She said smiling at him and he smiled back.

He rummaged through his wallet and pulled four one dollar bills out. He laid the crumbled bills against the counter.

“You’re very beautiful.” He said and she laughed.

“Thank you. I think the same about your eyes. They look like cinnamon.” She replied and he chuckled lightly.

“Can I take you out for a drink later?” he asked nervously.

“Sure. I get off in an hour.” She said.

“How bout Ownerman’s Lounge, I’ll buy you dinner.”

“Ah,” she smiled and handed the few cents back, “I’d love that. I’m starving right now. I’ll see you there at eleven thirty.” She said with a sweet large grin exposing the small white teeth in her mouth.

“Yeah.”