- Text Size +
Part Three

Mama, put my guns in the ground
I can't shoot them anymore.
That long black cloud is comin' down
I feel like I'm knockin' on heaven's door.

“I’m not a doctor; I’m really a society failure. They cut off my scholarship to medical school after I tried pot just once and got caught and arrested. I just robbed two stores and I’m already tired of looking over my shoulder. After this dinner I’m going to turn myself in so I have someplace to sleep tonight. There’s really nothing left for me to live for. I’m deciding if I want to die or if I want to turn myself in. It’s hard deciding.”

She starred and placed her fork down.

“Oh my…” she said and he nodded.

“So how you like me now?” he asked softly, “I just wanted to feel for one day how it would feel to have money, to feel rich and important. To have a purpose.”

“Do you have a gun?”

“No, but it helped to act like I did have one.” He said eating the last of his food. The waiter brought the bill back. He starred at her. He looked at the bill.

“How much is it?”

“One-hundred seventy-three dollars and thirty-four cents.”
“Wow.” She said, “How much did my dinner cost?” she asked.

“Twenty-two dollars but hey. I don’t care. The wine cost one twenty and my dinner was twenty.” He said softly and she nodded.

“So, what are you gonna do?”

“I don’t know, you know. I guess I’ll just give the money back and kill myself.” He sighed.

“No you won’t. You are not going to kill yourself. Not if I help it. I can help you run away. I can take the money back myself.”

“But why? We just met.”

“You’re not a bad person, you’re just confused.” She whispered while squeezing his hand, “You’re just angry and hurt and are frustrated. I understand what you mean. I’m not saying you were right, God no but the legal system should show compassion to you.” She said softly, “Let’s get out of here. I feel like everybody’s watching us.” She said and he placed two hundreds on the table. She pulled him out and they ran from the restaurant. They walked hurried down the street.

“Are you undercover?” he asked and she burst out laughing loudly.

“Why the hell would you think that?”

“Well, I mean any woman with intelligence would have barged out the door and never have come back.” He said as he looked at his car. It was surrounded by officers. He looked at her and she pulled him the other way.

“The money’s in there?”

“Nope. I have the money.” He said and patted his pocket.

“My car’s around the back.” She said and he nodded. She slid in the driver’s seat and he sat down. She turned on the engine and pulled away.

He pulled out his wallet and set close to seventeen hundred dollars on the dashboard.

“Hey!” she exclaimed, “What are you doing? You’re gonna get us caught!”

“Sorry.” He mumbled sheepishly. He put the money back in his wallet, “I want to return the rest.”

“Okay.” She said, “How much is it?”

“Seventeen hundred I think. He divided it as fair as he could. Each bag got eight thousand five hundred dollars. He wrote a note and placed it in the bag. They first dropped the bag off behind a unattended police car without stopping. The next one was like the first with the same bag. It took twenty minutes before she pulled onto a highway.

“I have a question.” He stated and she nodded, “Do you believe in fate?”

“I don’t know. I mean, where are you getting at?”

“Maybe God wanted me to rob these places as crazy as it sounds. So I could meet somebody like you to try and help me with my life.” He said, “I truly think you’re an angel.” She laughed.

“Well,” she said as her eyes sparkled. The darkness splashed over her face as they passed various lights of the city standing tall enough so the interstate was lit. “Maybe he did but I’m no angel, I’m no savior.” There was a pause, “Did you wear gloves?” she asked smiling.

“Yeah. I’ve seen crime movies.” He laughed. He ran his hands over his face and sighed.

“Take a nap. I know where you can go.”