- Text Size +
Part Four

Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door
Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door
Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door
Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door

Sunlight streamed into his vision and cobwebs of reality began to form. He blinked his eyes and groaned. His neck was in a very uncomfortable position. That was going to hurt. He sat up and she smiled at him. She looked tired and her hair was a mess as they drove through an enormous and busy city. He saw the big TV against a building and gasped.

“Oh you gotta be kidding me!” he yelled and she laughed. He laughed, “Stop the car!”

She got squeezed with all his might. He didn’t know why he was so happy. He didn’t know why he felt everything was going to be alright. He didn’t know why he felt energy for the first time in years.

“Welcome to New York City.” She said. She let the windows and yelled with her arms up in an old convertible. He looked at her and laughed. “You just looked like the type who would want to live here.”

“What?”

“My family doesn’t understand me nor need me, your family doesn’t like or love, whatever you prefer, you. So why not just start again.”

“There’s no money though. I mean, I have no money. I was evicted last week and while they threw my stuff out, I just drove away. Even for poor people it’s embarrassing.” He said, “I’ve seen them evict families with children as if it were nothing.”

“Assholes make the word go round.” She said and they both laughed, “I guess they can’t help it.”

He smiled and admired the view from with the hood down. It had to be thirty degrees but they didn’t care. They had the heat blasting and all it did was float up and mingle with the cold air.

“I got a question for you cause I couldn’t stop thinking about it last night while I was driving.” She said and he looked at her.

“Yeah? Fire away.”

“Were you gonna rob my family’s store.”

He sighed and looked back out the window.

“Don’t be ashamed about it. Just tell me.”

“If you weren’t there, yes. But it was like, it was like you were, you are the last thing good left in the world. It’s like your heart is so innocent and pure and you’re good.” He said and sighed, “It’s hard to explain.” He said and she grinned widely.

“I understand. I understand what you mean. I like that you feel that way about me but please know that I don’t want you to think like that. I mean, we just met. I don’t even know how old you are and you think I’m an angel. I don’t want you to think too highly because if all your faith is in me, what happens if I slip.” She said and he looked at her.

“Please try not to because if I can’t believe in you, there’s nothing left for me.” He said and she nodded.

“I’ll try my hardest.” She said. He grinned at her.

“I’m a criminal. Man, how many kids grow up saying they want to be a criminal.” He chuckled and she giggled.

“I’m hungry. Let’s get something to eat.” She said and she pulled from the street and slowed beside a sidewalk meter. She paid the required fifty cents and they both went inside.

“Where did you get the money from?”

“I don’t live on my own, I don’t care about clothes, shoes or any of that other stuff, I didn’t pay for my car. I’ve been working at my family place since I was ten. I’m twenty seven.” She said and he nodded, “I have over fifty thousand.” She said and his eyes grew wide.

“Wow.”

“We can just find jobs and everything will be okay.” She said and then something rang. It was a quirky ring tone and he looked at her. She pulled the cell phone from her pocket and looked at it. She flipped it shut and turned it off.

“That’s cool.” He said and she smiled. He saw a three layer toffee cake in the window.

She looked at it before someone ran in with a gun. He pulled the gun out and pointed around the shop.

“Everyone get down!” he yelled. A.J. dropped to the floor as she stood starring at the man holding the gun and he aimed it right at her.

“Bitch.” He growled and the gun went off. She fell next to him and starred at him with scared eyes. He didn’t know or comprehend what happened next except that he was wrestling the gun from him. He gasped as the man twisted his wrist and the gun was pointed at him. He ripped his hands away in full surrender and yelled. He felt something blast through his chest and he fell starring at her. A tear had fell down her face and hit the floor. Everything was rushing and loud in his ears. The blood rushed through his ear and the screaming and yelling was blurred. She died with her eyes open as he laid there starring at her. He closed his eyes at peace. At least something had gone right. Something had worked. Even surrounded by anger, pain, and hate, there was some good left in the world.



Lyrics and Song by Bob Dylan