- Text Size +
Thanks for the reviews! They make me feel all good inside. And yes, I am back. :) Check out my site in my profile if you want to see how back I am. I just thought I’d start posting some stories on Absolute Chaos to pull in some new readers. I hope you all enjoy this story!

And once again, thanks to my beta Pammy!




Chapter 3


AJ sat slumped in the sturdy, wooden chair, hat low over his face. His calloused hands locked together and resting on his stomach as his feet perch on Nick’s bed, crossed at the ankles. Beneath the shadow of his hat, AJ’s brown eyes drift closed, his head nodding forward.

With a sharp inhale of air, AJ’s eyes snap open wide and his head snaps up straight so fast it cracks against the high back of the chair, knocking his hat to the dusty floor.

“Damn!” AJ winced in pain, dropping his feet from Nick’s bed and leaning forward to raise a hand to massage the back of his head. AJ blinked his sleepy eyes and looked at the window, gauging it to be around early afternoon. What the hell woke me up? AJ glanced at Nick, seeing him still asleep. He leaned over him and placed a hand on the young blond’s forehead, still feeling a slight fever.

AJ leaned back, looking around the room. It weren’t the kid, so what in the blazes woke me up?! A muffled neigh drifted up to AJ, causing him to look to the ceiling and curse.

“Shit,” AJ shook his head in shame, “I forgot about the horses, I never forget about the horses.”

AJ continued to grumble under his breath as he stooped over to pick up his hat, straightening and slapping it back and forth against his buckskinned leg. AJ mashed it on his head as he turned to the sleeping Nick, “I’ll be right back, kid. Don’t you go nowhere, ya hear?”

AJ watched him a moment longer, receiving no response. Shrugging, AJ strode to and out the clinic door, wanting to take care of the horses as fast as he could. He didn’t want to leave Nick alone too long.

Looking from the balcony to the alley below, AJ grimaced. Both horses were looking mighty pissed, having stood there for the better part of last night and the whole morning. As AJ started down the stairs, he observed the two steeds. Ghost he could handle, she looked a bit annoyed, but otherwise fine and just wanting a nice, comfy stall. Looking at the tall bay, AJ bit his lip. He swore he could see fire burning in those brown eyes staring back at him as he reached the bottom step.

AJ walked up to Ghost, taking her reins and patting her neck, talking softly as the white horse nudged his shoulder with a nicker. AJ again looked at the bay; he was trying to decide if he should take them both at once or one at a time. He was leaning toward the latter, the bay blowing through his nose and stomping the dirt, small dust clouds rising from the impact.

AJ turned toward the street, sending a glance to the clinic door. He really didn’t like leaving the kid alone, he didn’t know why, he just didn’t. Looking out the alley AJ caught a flash of blue and smiled, he lead Ghost from the alley to the saloon across the way. Halfway there, AJ shouted for his quarry’s attention, “‘ey! Brian!”

The man in question jumped, jerking his head to the shout. Brian relaxed at seeing AJ walking up to him leading his white horse, “You vociferated my given moniker, AJ?”

AJ stopped before Brian, who stood on the boardwalk, “If yer askin’ if I jus’ called yer name, yeah, I did. You wanna go look over the kid while’s I take care of the horses? They been standin’ in the alley all night and Nick’s horse is fit to be tied.”

Brian frowned. AJ almost thought the gambler was going to say no. He watched as Brian seemed to be contemplating something in his mind, “Never mind, you don’t have’ta. I’ll jus’ do this as quick as I can.”

AJ turned and started to walk to the livery when Brian stopped him, “No!” Brian cleared his throat, “No, I will minister to our young charge as you tend the neglected creatures.”

AJ smiled, “Thanks, pard. I shouldn’t take too long...” AJ thought a moment, “That is, if that danged bay don’t kill me.”

Brian cracked a smile as AJ walked away, then he looked to the clinic. I really must remember how to ignore my conscience, or else I shall do something totally against my standards. Hell, I just received the cold shoulder from Kevin when I tried to help, and here I am doing it again. Brian sent a glance over the bat-wing doors, frowning as Kevin took another pull from the bottle of red-eye.

With a sigh, Brian straightened his hat and proceeded to walk across the dusty street to the clinic. Reaching the alley stairs, Brian could see what AJ had to look forward to. Nick’s horse was standing still, silently fuming and daring anyone to come within a foot of him. Brian took a wide birth of the animal and walked up the stairs.

Brian opened the clinic door and strode in, freezing in mid step as he registered the sight before him. Nick was standing beside his bed, his back to Brian, putting on his black vest over his gray shirt.

Brian quietly walked to the bed and stopped, “Going somewhere, Mr. Carter?”

Nick jumped and then yelped, spinning around with a hand to his side. Nick’s fevered blue eyes narrowed at the smirking gambler, “I’m leavin’.”

“Yes, I can see that,” Brian calmly replied, “I do not think it would be a wise venture, though. You are still recovering from your bullet wound.”

“I’m fine,” Nick replied coldly, “I don’t need anyone tellin’ me what I should do, I do jus’ fine on my own.”

Brian’s jeweled eyes twinkled, “This coming from a man who has just been shot while trying to foil someone’s attempt at kidnapping him?”

Nick said nothing, merely glaring at Brian. Brian sighed, “I am here to look over you for AJ and I don’t think he’ll take to me letting you leave very kindly. So, for my own well-being, you are going to sit your ass down and not get up until you are well.” Brian looked at Nick with cold eyes, “Understood?”

Some part of Nick’s fevered mind recognized the warning; he scowled and then returned to his bed, avoiding the gambler’s smiling face. Nick knew he was in no condition to argue and it made him angry, causing his mood to be even darker than normal.

“Well, then,” drawled Brian, settling down in the chair AJ previously occupied, “Would you be at all interested in a friendly game of poker?”

Nick looked to the gambler, seeing him holding a pack of cards in the hand that was empty the second before. Where the hell did he get those?

Brian took Nick’s silence as a ‘no’, “Just a suggestion. Well, maybe we should get to know each other, as we are to be in common company for the time being.”

Nick leaned back into his pillows, crossing his arms over his chest and setting his mouth in a firm line. Brian raised an eyebrow at his response, taking his cards and shuffling absently. He soon began to shuffle in intricate patterns, performing tricks and slight of hand with an almost detached manner.

Nick found his eyes drawn to the act the gambler put on, staring in wonder at the tricks the gambler did. Brian smiled knowingly without looking up, knowing he had the youth’s attention, “Ever played the game, Nick?”

Nick looked away, cursing himself for showing so much on his face with his interest in the cards. “No,” was Nick’s only answer.

Brian continued shuffling, looking up to Nick and cocking his head to the side, “Would you like to learn?”

Nick looked at Brian, trying to see if the gambler was mocking him. All he saw was an open expression of understanding. Understanding? What the hell did the gambler know about him to understand anything? Nick frowned, but nodded his head. Maybe it would keep Brian from asking anymore questions.

Brian smiled and scooted his chair closer to Nick’s bed, preparing to show Nick how to play something that was his livelihood.

~/~/~( )~~~


AJ shut the stall door, throwing the brush he just used to clean Ghost’s coat in a nearby bucket. He sighed, “Now for the fun part.”

AJ straightened his shoulders and walked out of the livery, his steps becoming slower and slower as he neared the clinic alley. He stopped at the entrance, staring at the bay stallion that hadn’t moved a muscle since the last time he saw him. That’s always a good sign, AJ thought sarcastically, the calm before the storm.

AJ cautiously approached the bay, one hand held before him to show he meant no harm. The stallion merely blew through his nose, snorting and stepping back a couple feet. AJ stopped. Shit. How the hell am I gonna do this? Damn horse.

“Now, listen here...” AJ stopped, What the hell was his name again? Jolly? No. Jerky? Ha! Doubt it. ... Johnny? Jervy? Damn it! What the hell was it?! ... AJ thought to his first encounter with the horse and what Nick had said. “Journey don’t like strangers.” That’s it! Journey! “All right, Journey, I ain’t goin’ ta hurt ya none. I jus’ wanna take you to the nice barn and nice stall, okay?”

AJ again approached the horse, surprised when Journey made no move to retreat or attack. Maybe I was worryin’ for nothin’. AJ smiled at the bay, “Good horse, lets get you in the barn now.”

Journey didn’t move as AJ reached for the reins. AJ sighed in relief as he now held them and was still in one piece. That wasn’t so bad. AJ looked at Journey, “All right, horse. Lets go.”

AJ gave the reins a little tug and lead Journey out of the alley, feeling right nice that that went so good. AJ didn’t get much further than a couple of steps before there was a searing, biting, pain in his rear. AJ gave a yelp and scooted forward, “Son of a bitch! You damned horse!”

Journey just gazed at him innocently, an almost comical look in his eyes. AJ clenched his teeth, one hand rubbing his smarting butt, before turning on his heel and leading the bothersome horse the rest of the way to the livery.

~/~/~( )~~~


Nick looked up from his cards at the loud curse that echoed from the alley, the voice unmistakably AJ’s. Nick grinned for the second time since Brian had met him. Brian looked at Nick for an explanation to the yell.

Nick’s eyes twinkled with ire, “Journey don’t like strangers... not too fond of being kept waiting, either.”

Brian chuckled. Nick was an all right kid, just a bit misguided. But hell, who wasn’t? Brian put his talents to work and attempted to read the young drifter. He’s seen a lot and knows it. He doesn’t trust people, but that isn’t exactly uncommon. I don’t trust anybody. He can’t be more than eighteen, even though he acts like he’s older. Nick is hiding, from... something. Brian made a decision, and was surprised at himself. I like him. Lord help me, I like him. I like the personality I see under the angry exterior.

Brian shook his head slightly. He smiled at Nick and continued the card game. Whether Nick knew it or not, whether he accepted it or not, he had just gained a friend that took the time to look past his wall and saw who he truly was. Even if the aforementioned friend hadn’t even accepted it... yet.

~/~/~( a couple miles outside of town )~~~


“Damn it, Mac! Will ya quit lolly-gagging!”

“Well, ‘scuse me!” retorted Mac, “I wasn’t the one that lost the kid!”

Branson fumed, resisting the urge to clock the red headed idiot, “Yer the one that let him get the drop on ya! I had a gun in my face, what’s yer excuse?!”

Mac opened his mouth and then closed it, drawing a blank. Branson smirked, mounting his horse, “That’s what I thought. Let’s go, that tracker could’ve only took him one place. That’s the only other town for miles.”

Mac scowled, “What about the other guys?”

“I wired them back in that backwater,” informed Branson, “They’re meetin’ us there.”

Mac mounted his horse with a grunt, the world spinning slightly as he got his seat. He fingered the bruise marring the side of his face, “Damn kid could throw a punch.”

Branson frowned, his gray eyes landing on his bandaged arm, “And that tracker could shoot. We’d best watch ourselves, but nothin’ is stoppin’ me from gettin’ that kid. He’s worth too much.”

They started off in a walk toward the town seen in the distance, “What are we gonna do?” Mac asked after a few minutes.

Branson smiled, “I got a plan.”

They kicked their mounts into a gallop, the town becoming closer and closer.

~/~/~( )~~~


AJ slammed the barn door shut, cursing under his breath as he spun around and stalked back towards the clinic. He almost ran into Howie as the healer stepped out of the bunk house.

“Jeez, AJ!” cried Howie, reeling back to avoid collision, “Where’s the fire?”

AJ sneered, “Nowhere, I just got done puttin’ Nick’s damn horse to stall. He damn near bit my head off!”

Howie smiled, “A horse that don’t like you? That’s a switch. I though you could handle any horse.”

“Not that beast, he ain’t what I’d classify as a horse! He tries to get at you no matter what ya do,” replied AJ with a wave of his hand to the livery, then his hand rested on his backside, “Damn thing got a piece of me, too.”

Howie laughed outright, “He bit you?” Howie glanced at AJ’s hand that rubbed his rear, “There?”

“Yeah,” sighed AJ, then he pointed a finger at Howie’s smiling face, “You can shut up about it, too. I don’t wanna ruin my rep or anything.”

Howie chuckled, turning toward his clinic, “What rep?”

AJ fell into step with Howie, “I’ll let that slide. So, you gonna check on the kid?”

“Yep,” nodded Howie, “Who’s watchin’ him, I thought you were.”

“I had Brian go look after him while I took care of the horses,” AJ looked at Howie as they reached the clinic stairs, “He is gonna be all right, isn’t he?”

“Yeah, he’ll be fine,” Howie assured, “What’s with all the worry though, AJ? You don’t even know ‘im.”

AJ shrugged, stopping at the top of the stairs, “I kinda feel it’s my fault, him gettin’ shot. Maybe if I’da done somethin’ different, he wouldn’t of gotten shot. He’s just a kid, Howie.”

Howie turned to face AJ before opening the door to his clinic, “You did what you had to, AJ. If ya done any different, he might be dead. And yeah, he is a kid, but don’t be tellin’ him that.”

Howie left it at that and opened the door, smiling at the scene before him. Nick was awake and arguing up a storm with the gambler, who was trying to grab his hat from the young blond.

“Damn it, Nick!” he yelled, “Give it back!”

“Not until you say it!”

Howie and AJ watched as Brian slumped back in his chair, the gambler’s missing vocabulary not going unnoticed.

“Fine!” Brian frowned and forced out, “You won.”

Nick looked satisfied and returned the black felt hat, “Thank you. Now, wanna play again?”

“No,” sulked Brian, gathering up his cards. The kid lied, he had played poker before. And damn it! He beat me! No one beats me! But... I wasn’t really trying, so it doesn’t count. Next time will be different.

“You boys havin’ fun?” asked AJ, now standing beside Brian.

Brian sneered, then broke into a bright smile, “How was your sojourn to the task of procuring shelter for our perturbed steeds?”

AJ blinked, the fancy words were back, “I did right fine.”

Brian cocked an eyebrow, “Really? I could have sworn I heard rather loud profanity reverberating from the alley a moment ago. It resembled your voice, AJ.”

AJ scowled at the smiling gambler, not answering because he knew the gambler was just trying to rile him. Howie smirked and walked around the bed to Nick’s left side, “So, Nick. How are you feelin’? Is yer side hurtin’ any?”

Nick shook his head, “I’m fine.”

Howie looked doubtful, “No headache? Stomach ache?”

“I’m fine.”

“That is all that has come out of his mouth when asked of his health,” supplied Brian.

Howie felt Nick’s forehead, ignoring it when he pulled away, “Still a little warm, but the fever’s down. Come tonight or morning, he should be well enough to be on his feet. He has to take it easy, though. I don’t want him pulling his stitches.”

Nick looked up at the men surrounding him yet again. He didn’t know what to make of it. Brian was all right. AJ treats me like a kid. Howie... well, I haven’t been around him long enough to know yet. And Kevin... I haven’t seen him since I woke up. Not that I’m complainin’. He’s THE Kevin Richardson. I don’t know if I wanna see him again.

Howie surprised Nick when he asked, “Where’s Kevin?”

AJ shrugged, Brian scowled, “He is currently in the residence of the saloon, wallowing in his sorrows.”

Nick frowned, he wanted to be alone. He wanted out of here. He didn’t know these men or what they really wanted from him. Nick looked from face to face as they spoke of Kevin’s whereabouts and that they wanted to talk to him. Nick bit his lip, he decided to play sick. Maybe they’d leave then.

Howie glanced at Nick when he yawned suddenly, looking very tired. That fever might not be as far gone as I thought. “Okay, guys. Let’s leave Nick alone so he can rest, our jabberin’ is just keepin’ him up. So, out!”

Brian got up and placed his hat on his head, nodding to Nick before walking out the door. AJ looked a little hesitant and made to sit in the chair, but Howie stopped him with a hand to his shoulder, “He’ll be fine, AJ. Let him sleep.”

Relenting, AJ nodded and they left the clinic to go to the saloon. They hoped to stop Kevin before he got hopelessly drunk and started trouble.

As soon as the door closed, Nick was sitting up and grabbing his vest. Once he had it on he looked for his guns, finding them on a nearby table. Now armed and fully clothed, Nick walked to the alley way door, grabbing his hat on the way. He pressed his ear to the rough wood, listening. Satisfied, Nick eased the door open, cautiously peeking out. The alley is deserted, the late afternoon shadows making it dark as the sun set.

I am outta here.

~/~/~( )~~~


Kevin looked up as the feeling of being watched settled in his gut. Howie, AJ, and Brian stood before his table and the saloon went quiet. The patrons were content to leave the dark gunslinger alone, but now there looked to be trouble brewing.

Howie snatched up the bottle, “I think you’ve had enough, Kev.”

Kevin glowered, “I’ll be the judge of that, Howie.”

Howie backed away as Kevin stood and stepped forward, reaching for the bottle. AJ stepped in front of Kevin, “You ain’t to be gettin’ plastered. You’ll just start trouble and we don’t need any.”

Kevin felt fire burning within him, his eyes narrowed to slits, “You sayin’ I’m nothin’ but trouble?”

AJ straightened and glared back at Kevin, balling his fists, “Maybe.”

Brian took in the scene and thought it wise to step in, “Uhh... Gentlemen, must we resort to a display of-”

“Shut it, Brian,” snapped Kevin, “AJ wants trouble? I’ll give him trouble.”

None of them saw it coming, but they should have. One moment AJ stood the next he was flat on his back. Howie snapped out of his shock, “Kevin! What the hell did ya do that for?!”

AJ wiped the back of his hand across his mouth, grimacing at the blood he saw there from his split lip. He stood with an arm up from Howie.

“He asked for it,” calmly replied Kevin.

AJ again stood in Kevin’s face, “I knew who you were when you first said yer name, I know who Kevin Richardson is. I thought I’d give ya a clean slate though, let you show me who you are and not what the country folk say you are. You just got a notch down in my book, Kevin. Maybe you’ll think to try and better that later on! If I listen!”

AJ then blew by Kevin, shouldering him to the side as he stalked out of the saloon. Kevin stood for a moment, the hardened gunslinger was shocked.

Kevin looked at Brian and then Howie, “He knew and didn’t think... He didn’t assume that I’m...”

Howie shook his head, placing the bottle back on the dusty table, “Is it so hard to believe, Kev?”

“Yes.”

“My life is reading what people are,” drawled Brian quietly, “AJ McLean is an honest man that sees his surroundings as they really are. He wanted to see for himself what you were, are. Everyone and everything has a ‘clean slate’ to him.”

Kevin mentally slapped himself. He and AJ hadn’t exactly started off on the right foot, he didn’t know why. I just don’t trust him, something is botherin’ me about him. Hell, I trust the gambler, but not the tracker.

Howie sighed, “You had better redeem yerself or you ‘ave lost him as a friend.”

“Friend?” asked Kevin, “I have no friends.”

Kevin sat back down at the table, but he didn’t touch the bottle. Brian and Howie glanced at each other, then joined him. They sat in silence, letting Kevin think over his actions.

~/~/~( )~~~


AJ marched to the clinic, still fuming. He flung the door open, striding in, “Hey, kid. Didn’t mean to scare ya-”

AJ froze, his voice breaking off, “Nick?” The room is empty; the bed covers flung aside and barren of the body they once held.

AJ searched the room with his eyes, finding no sign of the drifter. He slowly reeled back, “Son of a-” AJ spun around and burst out the door and half ran, half fell down the stairs, muttering the whole way, “Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit!”

He hightailed it to the saloon, flying through the bat-wing doors and skidding to a halt, causing the three at the table he sought to jump to their feet and send their hands to their guns.

“AJ?” asked Howie, staring at the gasping tracker, “What the hell?”

“He’s... gone,” gasped AJ, slightly hunched over, “Nick’s... gone...”

“What!?” was the collective reply.

AJ finally got his breath back, “Nick’s gone, he ain’t in the clinic.”

“Well,” growled Kevin, “let’s go find him and bring him back. He’s been attracting trouble worse than me.”

No sooner than the words leaving Kevin’s mouth did gunshots echo from the darkening street outside.

~/~/~( )~~~


Oh, Christ! Of all the... Nick couldn’t believe it as he reeled back from the livery, stumbling and falling to the ground.

“AH! Damn it!” gasped Nick, grasping his wounded side in pain and closing his eyes.

“Well, well, well,” toned a familiar voice, “Look what we have here, boys. Guess I don’t have to use that plan.”

Nick opened his pained eyes and glared up at Branson, who sat on horseback, several men astride behind him. Nick could make out, maybe, ten.

Branson chuckled and leaned over his horse, “Hey, Carter. Ready to go?”

“To hell with you!” yelled Nick, scrambling back and glancing nervously around, searching for an escape. There were a stack of crates along side the mercantile, no more than fifteen feet away. Nick started inching toward it, still on the ground.

“No thanks, kid, already been there.”

Nick froze at the sound of several guns cocking. Shit. Nick took one slow breath, then scrambled to his feet. Nick clenched his teeth as his side felt on fire, one arm wrapped around his middle. The dust around him started billowing up at him in spurts as gunfire rang out behind him. He half ran, half crawled to the crates and cover, his one free arm reaching to the ground to steady himself.

Almost there, almost there. One particular gunshot hit the crates just as Nick neared them, sending splinters flying. He cried out and fell to the ground as the splinters burned his face. Nick gasped for breath and looked up, seeing the men and Branson riding toward him.

Fine, they want it the hard way. Don’t say I didn’t give them the chance to back off. Nick rolled onto his back and drew his guns, aiming and firing at his attackers. One cried out and fell from his horse, clutching his chest. One down, nine to go.

Nick pushed himself back and then ceased fire long enough to lunge behind the crates, hearing the bullets biting into the old wood. He took a moment to catch his breath, leaning back against the crates, eyes closed.

A loud and familiar sound rang out over the gunfire, causing Nick’s eyes to snap open. AJ’s mare’s leg.

“You boys wanna tell us what yer shootin’ at?!” he called out from... Hell, Nick didn’t see him anywhere.

Branson and his eight remaining men couldn’t see AJ either, all of them looking wildly around, having ceased their fire. Branson narrowed his eyes, “Tracker! That you?!”

“The one and only, Branson! Now, leave the kid alone!”

“‘Fraid I can’t do that, stranger! He’s signed and paid for delivery!”

AJ looked down at Branson and his gang from his perch above the saloon. Signed and paid for? What the hell does that mean?!

Brian casually stepped out onto the boardwalk in front of the saloon, a cigar held in his lips. He turned to the gang, “Would any of you fine gentlemen have a light?”

“What?” asked Branson, stunned.

Howie appeared from the shadows across the street, the alley by the clinic, “I believe he asked ya’s an easy enough question, but I got it covered.”

Howie tossed Brian a box of matches across the street, landing at Brian’s feet, “Much obliged, sir.”

Brian casually bent over and picked up the box. Then Kevin walked out into the dark street, the setting sun casting everything in a glowing orange. His dark form stalked down the center of the street, he stopped thirty feet from the gang.

Branson was getting dizzy, What the hell was goin’ on? “And who are you?”

Kevin narrowed his ice green eyes beneath the shadow of his black hat, his mouth turned in a scowl as he answered Branson, his voice dripping in deadly malice, “Kevin Richardson.”

Branson nearly dropped his gun.

Kevin continued, his voice becoming even deadlier, “And that’s my friend yer shootin’ at.”

Nick couldn’t believe what was taking place. These men were fighting for him? They were going to risk their lives... for him? No one’s ever done that before...

Kevin watched Branson. Howie, AJ, and Brian watched Kevin, waiting for the signal. Kevin waited as Branson sat on his horse, which pranced in the nervousness that possessed its rider. Then Kevin saw it, the decision in Branson’s face.

Kevin nodded his head slightly. Howie ducked back into the alley, Brian ducked into the saloon, and AJ readied his rifle.

Kevin drew his guns as Branson bellowed, “Kill ‘em!”

Gunfire once again erupted in the small town. Kevin fired as he side stepped to cover, bullets kicking up dust at his feet. He settled behind a wagon.

Howie stayed flat against the alley wall, ducking around to fire off a shot. One of the gang fell. Seven to go.

AJ sat on the saloon roof, leaning his arms on the ledge to steady his aim. He shut one eye and focused the other one down the sight, picking a target. AJ pulled the trigger, the force kicking into his shoulder. Another man fell from his horse. Six to go.

Brian took a match and struck it, lighting his cigar. He nodded pleasantly at the patrons all huddled beneath chairs and tables, then he grabbed the half full bottle of whiskey and pulled out his silk handkerchief. He doused the white cloth in the alcohol and then stuffed half of it in the bottle, puffing on his cigar all the while.

Finished, Brian glanced over the bat-wing doors, pulling back as a bullet licked at the wood. He looked across at Kevin, watching as he picked off one of he gang. Five to go.

Kevin looked to the saloon and nodded to the gambler. It’s time to end this.

Brian smiled devilishly and lunged out of the saloon, hitting the dirt behind a water trough. Bullets continued to fly as he stood from his cover, taking his cigar from his mouth.

“Oh, gentlemen!”

Branson and his men stopped, facing he gambler. Brian smiled and touched the cigar to the handkerchief, sparking it to life. Brian cocked his arm back, “These liquid spirits are on me, gentlemen!”

Brian threw the flaming bottle of whiskey. Branson and his remaining men pulled their horses back and around as the bottle hit the ground, exploding in a fairly big display. Their horses spooked and with a final glare at the men and the crates, Branson wheeled his horse around and hightailed it out of town, his five remaining men following in a cloud of dust.

The flames quickly diminished on the dusty, dry ground as three men emerged from their cover. AJ soon appeared beside Brian by the saloon, “Ya got a good arm, Bri’.”

Brian grimaced, rotating his shoulder, “I think I pulled something.”

AJ laughed, clapping the gambler on the back. “You did good, Bri. Ya scared ‘em shitless.”

“Thank you,” replied Brian, straightening out his coat and dusting off his sleeves.

Kevin and Howie soon joined them. Kevin looked at AJ, “Where’s the kid?”

AJ got a look of ‘Oh, shit!’ on his face. “Last I saw him, he was by those crates in front of the mercantile.”

They quickly went to where AJ said, hoping to find Nick in one piece. They stopped before the crates, looking down at Nick’s form.

Nick smiled half-heartedly, “Hey, guys.”

Howie kneeled before him, “You okay?”

“Yeah,” sighed Nick, getting a hand up from the healer, “Just a little beat up.”

“You sure,” pressed Howie.

“I’m sure,” answered Nick.

Kevin looked over the drifter, taking in the small spots of blood on the side of his face from the splinters. He growled in anger and spun away from the others, walking to the downed gang members of Branson’s. Kevin walked by each one, searching.

Kevin stopped at a groan, he smiled. Kevin kneeled down beside one of the downed men; this one was alive... for now anyways. Kevin gripped the man’s shoulder, “Hey, you! Wake up!”

The man moaned and opened his eyes, “What?” The man was gasping as the life left him.

“What’s yer business with the kid, Nick Carter?” Kevin ground out.

The man reeled at the deadly green eyes, “B-br- branson... h- he’s gettin’ m-money for... for bringin’ the k-kid in... H-has a contract out on ‘im... f-from s-some rich guy... D-dead or a-alive... More money if a-alive...”

Kevin’s lips formed a hard line, “Why?”

The man’s eyes began to glaze over and his words were slurred, “M-money... m-more money...”

“What?” asked Kevin. What the hell did that mean? Kevin could see the man fading away, “Hey! Hey! What’s that mean?”

No answer as the man breathed no more.

Kevin pushed to his feet and walked back to the others. He stared hard at Nick, then the others. In a voice that broached no argument, he said, “We ride out tonight, all of us.”

Brian being he smart ass he was, “Why?”

Kevin glared at him, his green gaze flicking briefly to Nick, “They’ll be back and I’d not want to be here when they do. I’ll fill you guys in when we’re on the trail.”

Kevin turned and walked to the livery. Brian turned to the others, “I guess we’re to be in each other’s company for quite some time, gentlemen.”