- Text Size +
Thanks to my beta, Pammy.


~/~/~( Chapter 5 )~~~



“Damn,” muttered Howie, his eyes scanning the surroundings.

Kevin looked skeptical, “How you figure?”

AJ leaned lazily on his saddle horn, “Found horse tracks ‘bout a half mile back, not ours. Scoped some movement from the trees, too.”

Kevin frowned, fixing his stare to the beyond trees. Brian looked to him to gauge a reaction, finding it in the cold green eyes. The gambler straightened in his saddle, his words rushing out, “Perhaps being oblivious is our best course of action. They have not confronted us, as they could have in our sleep. If we ignore them, they may heed the idea of lying in wait.”

AJ nodded, “No sense headin’ in’ere full tilt with guns a blazin’ not knowin’ what we’ll meet in return. They’re waitin’ fer somethin’, can’t figure what.”

Pro’bly for me to be alone, thought Nick, his eyes nervous. He looked to the others, for once in his life, actually wanting the guidance of another.

Kevin clenched his jaw, narrowing his eyes in hate, “I don’t like it, I jus’ don’t like it.”

“Kevin,” spoke Howie, seeing the hate and anger not from Kevin himself, but from his horse that danced in jaunty steps, “We can’t do anything without gettin’ shot up. They’re in hiding, we wouldn’t know where to shoot first, they’d pick us off one by one... You have to put it aside.”

Kevin snapped his gaze to the healer, “What?”

Howie didn’t back down, “Put it aside, Kev. You’ll get yer revenge later, we can’t bother with it now. If you insist on goin’ in half-cocked, yer goin’ without me. It ain’t worth it.”

The fire flashed in Kevin’s eyes, which switched to the sharpshooter as he too spoke, “That goes fer me too, cowboy. They ain’t a lookin’ fer a fight yet, no use startin’ one ‘fore it’s time.”

Kevin frowned, his brow furrowing at the response he was receiving. He looked slightly surprised as the gambler spoke next.

“You know I will follow you anywhere, Kevin,” drawled the southerner softly, “But I am not benighted to a fruitless endeavor when one is placed in front of me, especially when such an explicit alternative is laid before me. I will match the aforementioned reasoning; I will not lay my life down for your mindless vengeance.”

Kevin blinked, staring openly at Brian as he finished his narrative. A very slow, very gradual smile turned Kevin’s lips, “Damn, Brian. Why the hell didn’t ya jus’ say you agree with Howie and AJ?”

Brian smiled wolfishly, his blue eyes twinkling in the morning’s light, “I did.”

Kevin shook his head, “Fine, fine. Let’s go.” He turned to AJ, “Keep an eye on our rear, make sure they don’t forget that they ain’t in the fightin’ mood.”

AJ simply nodded with a cocky grin, as if he knew of this the whole time. Kevin sneered, still a bit contrite when it came to the tracker. He sighed, “Well, let’s move out. We’re only a few miles out of Cripple Creek, should get there ‘fore noon.”

Nick was slow to react as the others began to move out, eventually gathering himself and joining them in a slow canter. He ended up riding along side Howie and took the time to think. He had thought for sure that they were about to run into a blood bath, the fire in Kevin’s eyes had frozen him to his saddle. Nick had never seen such hatred... Wait, yes he had. He cringed, his eyes squinting at the unwanted memory.

Nick pulled himself back to the present at Howie’s voice of concern, having mistaken his discomfort for his bullet wound acting up. Nick shook his head at the kind man, assuring him it was nothing. Turning his eyes to the ground they sped along, Nick decided he had to stick close to these men, reality finally baring down on him and forcing him to realize the extent of trouble his butt was in. He wouldn’t live to see his next birthday if he abandoned the safety of the group, he couldn’t pull this one off alone. This one was big.

Brian glanced over his shoulder, back at where Nick and Howie rode. He frowned. He had yet to decide where he would lay his allegiance. He realized he was pulled equally in both directions. Turning forward, Brian raised a hand to secure his black hat more firmly to his head as the wind made it shift, darting his tongue out over his bottom lip nervously. Kevin was his cousin, Nick was a... friend. How could he choose? Kevin would most definitely shun him away if he told the blond rebel of his underhanded purpose in this charade. Nick would... well, Nick would be mad... very mad, when he found out. He was beginning to trust them, Brian could tell by his eyes.

Brian sighed and flexed his arms out, the action urging Joker faster. Then there was his third choice, himself. Simply act like nothing happened, not care. This would have probably been the easiest choice, if he hadn’t spent so much time and gotten to know these men. They’ve only been together for a few days, but he could feel the sense of belonging deep inside. He thought it was Kevin that had filled his loneliness, but he realized it included the other three, too. He found he felt relaxed and content while in their company, not his usual suspicion and deflective mannerisms. Brian shook his head, this was confusing the hell out of him.

AJ glanced back, twisting around in his saddle as Ghost kept pace with the four running steeds ahead. AJ narrowed his eyes, catching the smallest flash of sunlight far behind in the bordering trees. They were still shadowing, keeping to the trees about two miles back. Returning his eyes affront, AJ gazed at the dust covered backs of the four men riding ahead. Well, three men, one kid. Nick was too young to be what he was and witness all he had. AJ didn’t care how tough the kid tried to be, he could see the shrouded fear huddled in the shadows of the rebel’s blue eyes. The kid tried to cover it up with his tough, sneering exterior, but slipped up every so often when he thought no one was looking. AJ conceded that he wasn’t much older, being 20, only a sparse three years older, but his past more than made up for it. AJ hadn’t had a choice when he had set out into the wilderness, alone. He had no family, no friends.

AJ shook his head, glancing back again. Satisfied the outlaws were keeping their distance, he contemplated where he stood. Thinking on it, AJ was surprised to find that he couldn’t think of anything but the men that rode ahead of him. He felt as if he had found something he had lost long ago, something he had tucked away until the right components arrived to reciprocate the hidden object. Friendship... Family? Wait, the last one was too much right now. Friendship seemed fitting. AJ smiled, his unique goatee framing his curved lips. He liked the feeling.

Howie again took a surreptitious glance at the young man beside him. He knew it wasn’t his wound that had caused the discomfort on the tanned young features, although he was positive the injury was not oblivious to him either. Nick seemed to be leaning toward their help a bit easier, the majority of his suspicious countenance having faded, leaving a younger looking face with glimpses of actual emotion. Furrowing his brow, Howie tilted his head at a thought. What had happened in Nick’s young life to force him out into this harsh environment, to force him away from his home? Howie could tell the rebel had not been in this location for more than a few years, even though he had adapted amazingly well. Nick was not of the material he tried to portray. Howie wondered of the young man’s past.

With a shake of his head, Howie broke from that path of thought, it was none of his business. Nick was here now and he seemed determined to stay. A grin appeared on the healer’s face, what a lot they made up. The pissed off gunslinger, a cocky rebel, an even more cocky wilderness man, ...Whatever the hell Brian was, a con man... gambler... don’t know when the hell to shut up southerner... and himself, a retired gunslinger turned helper of the people. Well, he sure ain’t acting like he’s retired now. The smile slipped slightly at that thought, his brown eyes fixing on the silhouette of Kevin. Howie knew of the road Kevin traveled, knew it would end the same as his did. Howie could only hope the bond he felt forming between them would be enough to stop Kevin before he destroyed himself all for his worthless revenge.

Kevin sat brooding astride his running horse, silently cursing and seething in anger at being so close, yet so far. Branson. The man that killed his father was no more than a couple miles back, following him for Christ’s sake! To Kevin the man was practically asking for it. Branson had registered who Kevin was back at Penrose, at the announcement of his name the outlaw basically went white. Kevin smiled wickedly; the thought of Branson being afraid of him was quite pleasing. Kevin had waited and searched for so long, nine years of a mindless quest. Kevin wanted it to be done with. He wanted his pain to go away, to finally leave his shattered heart. It would happen, it would finally come about. But... at what cost?

Sadness darkened the green eyes, the tense posture slumping slightly. Kevin didn’t like what he was doing to Kaos... Koas... That was the only way Kevin could refer to the young blond. It helped to distance himself from what the consequences of his actions would be, and he knew they would be grave. He wouldn’t let the rebel get hurt, though, never. For all that Kevin tried to do or say, he couldn’t stop the four men from working their way under his protective wing, the camaraderie, the friendship, an almost family bond making itself known in such a short amount of time. All of which he desperately wanted to avoid, but wouldn’t ignore. He would protect the four men that rode behind him with his life, for that he was sure. He would give them his life, but not his soul, it had already lost too much.

~/~/~( Two miles back )~~~


“Put that damned thing away!” scolded Branson, knocking Mac upside the head, the red head’s hat tumbling to the ground.

“Hey!” the youth retaliated, snatching his hat back up, “What the hell was that for?!”

Branson slapped a hand to the metal object in Mac’s hand, “You keep monkeyin’ around with that and you’ll give us away!”

Mac frowned, looking down at the scope, “Huh?”

Branson sighed, trying to be patient, “That there lookin’ glass is a real nice shiny thing, ain’t it?” Mac nodded. “Well, the sun sure is glittin’ off’a it like crazy. Get the meanin’?”

Mac looked puzzled for a moment longer, then the light went on, “Oh! I get it! Sorry, didn’t mean it.”

Branson shook his head, mounting his horse, “You still got a lot to learn, Mac. C’mon, let’s get movin’ after them, they’re gettin’ too far off.”

With a nod, Mac headed to his horse and mounted, the others in the small outlaw band shakin’ their heads at him. Mac ignored them; he knew he could do this outlaw thing. He had to, there was nothing else out there for him. Branson had given him the chance and also a sort of home, he couldn’t let the man down.

Branson faced his men, “All right, it’s obvious they’re headin’ ta Cripple Creek, so we don’t have to pay them too much attention, we’re only two miles back from the town anyways. Come to think of it, they ought to be ridin’ in now. We ain’t gonna go inta town, but we will sneak around a bit to try and figure what their business is. Les and Kyle,” addressed Branson, getting the attention of a tall, lanky blond man and a burly black haired man with a slight beard. “I want you two ta stick ta the saloon and blend in with the locals, don’t make any trouble, though. Understand?”

“Yeah, boss,” nodded Les, his big frame shifting in his saddle as he reached to scratch his bearded chin.

“Okay, then,” said Branson, thinking for a moment, “All eyes stay on that kid, the moment he’s alone we nab ‘im. We don’t need no more trouble.”

His men all agreed in vigor, the confrontation in Penrose fresh in their minds.

“Let’s move on out then,” called Branson as he turned his horse about, “And a piece of advice, keep track o’ that Kevin Richardson. He’s a hell raiser if given the chance. I’ve got my own plans for ‘im.”

The outlaws nodded in acknowledgment and followed their leader as he started off toward Cripple Creek at a gallop.

~/~/~( Cripple Creek )~~~


Five horses slid to a halt at the Cripple Creek livery, the passengers of the steeds dismounting and proceeding to shelter their horses in the large barn. Twenty minutes later the five men exited the large doors, the fancy one flipping some coins to the two young stable boys.

“You take exceptional care of our animals, gentlemen,” drawled the southern tone, “And there will be more where that came from.”

The young boys grinned happily and nodded their heads in acceptance of the task, the older of the two speaking, “Thanks, mister! We’ll take good care of ‘em!”

Brian watched with a smile as they practically skipped away. Turning, Brian cleared his throat at the looks his four companions gave him, “What, may I ask, are you staring at?”

AJ cracked a grin, “Aw, the fancy man has a soft spot!” He turned to Howie, who stood smiling, “What you figure it’s for? The kids or the horses?”

Howie looked to think seriously for a moment, “I reckon it’s the horses.”

AJ laughed, “Yep! That’s what I figured!”

Brian simply stood there and rolled his eyes, sending Kevin and Nick a pleading expression, “Please, save me from these unrelenting reprobates before I sink to their despicable and underlying level.”

AJ stopped laughing, sending Howie a shocked look, “He jus’ insulted us, Howie!... ...I think.”

Brian could only sigh and roll his eyes once again, muttering under his breath, “Hopeless, absolutely hopeless cases of stupidity. Never seen such stark examples before...”

AJ just sent Brian’s muttering form a quizzical look, eyebrows raised, “Brian’s ventin’ his frustrations.”

Nick gave AJ an incredulous look, “Ventin’? Yer callin’ that ventin’?”

AJ shrugged, “What else?”

Kevin looked up to the noon sun, taking a deep, calming breath, “All right, enough funny business. We got work ta do.”

The four sobered and finally took the time to take in the town before them. The street was filled with drunk and not to mention, gun happy cowboys. Several were randomly shooting up into the sky as they weaved back and forth down the street, others were galloping around on their horses and shooting at imaginary specters, whooping and hollering. The guys could see the locals huddled in their respective businesses, afraid to venture out.

AJ cracked another cocky grin and slapped Kevin on the back, “Looks like yer kind o’ place, Kev!”

AJ shrank back with a wince at the glare he received, “Then again, maybe not.”

They walked down the dusty street, covertly avoiding the inebriated cowpokes. They stopped outside one of the saloons, Brian addressing Kevin with a nervous glance at the disarray surrounding them, “You sure can pick them, Kevin. I gather you have been here before?” Kevin smirked with a nod. “Perhaps you may reconsider the proposal of investigating this... town?”

Kevin shook his head, “Nope.”

Brian looked to the others, hoping for assistance. Howie seemed to be just fine with the situation. AJ looked excited, and for some reason, this scared the gambler. Nick seemed to almost be familiar with the turmoil around them. Brian surmised that this was not Nick’s first visit to a municipality such as the one he now stood in. Finding no support, Brian sighed, “How about a small change of plans then? That being my sojourn into that... that contraption of a saloon. It appears rather... unruly.”

As if on cue, the large front window of the aforementioned saloon exploded in front of them, a distinct silhouette of a man being the cause. As the glass settled, Kevin watched with a grin as the man used to create the display picked himself up off the ground, weaving back and forth before stepping through the hole his body had just made and back into the saloon, yelling for another drink. Kevin looked at the aghast Brian, “Don’t look too bad to me.”

Brian blinked and shook his head, “Oh, I do get myself into the most interesting situations.”

Kevin grinned, “Let’s split up. AJ and Howie, you take the northern part of town. Brian, you take the saloon. Nick’s with me, we’ll check out the perimeter.”

“What exactly are we lookin’ for?” asked Nick, more than a little nervous with being alone with the gunslinger.

“Somethin’ out of place, or a cowboy that looks to ‘ave information on the territories but is too damn drunk to know who he’s talkin’ too,” answered AJ, “Stuff like that.”

Nick nodded, “Oh, when do we meet back?”

Kevin looked to the sky again, “Be back here in four hours, about mid afternoon.”

The three groups broke up and went to their designated areas, making sure to avoid the majority of disoriented locals. Brian stood before the saloon, desperately wishing he had kept his mouth shut about gathering information at the tables. He took a deep breath and made to enter the saloon through the battered bat-wing doors. He had just placed his hands on them when they flew open, the hard wood and something else slamming into Brian and sprawling him to the ground.

Brian laid frozen as his mind caught up to the events, slowly registering the drunken cowboy clumsily trying to remove his body from crushing the gambler. With an annoyed scowl, Brian shoved the drunk off and sat up, grabbing his hat from the dusty boardwalk and brushing it off. He gave a grunt as he pushed himself to his feet, glaring into the saloon and to the cowboy who stumbled away.

Running a hand through his wavy, finely cut hair, Brian gave a sigh. He straightened his shoulders and returned his hat to his head, forcing himself through the bat-wing doors and into the foggy saloon, a muttered oath under his breath, “Kevin will pay for this.”

~/~/~( )~~~


Nick studiously kept pace with Kevin, pulling his sarcastic demeanor to the forefront to hide his nervousness. They walked behind the saloon and town mercantile, only seeing the occasional drunk or saloon girl in their own... activities. Nick’s eyes kept tabs on the gunslinger, prepared to follow his lead. He honestly didn’t know what else to do.

Kevin’s steps were purposeful as he strode through the back alleys, his green eyes on constant alert for the slightest clue to a possible lead. His steps slowed up somewhat at a movement that caught his eye, Nick following his example and also slowing.

They stopped. Kevin narrowed his eyes and stared in to the shadows behind one of the town stores, soon turning his attention to Nick beside him, “Wait here for a bit, I wanna check somethin’ out.”

Nick’s eyes widened slightly, “But... shouldn’t we-... I mean, I thought... Um, don’t you think we ought to stay together?”

“It’ll only be a little bit, Kaos,” replied Kevin impatiently, his eyes returning to the shadows. He said his next words almost distractedly, “Why don’t you go and check out the livery, I’ll join ya when I’m done ‘ere.”

Nick narrowed his eyes, glaring at the man that wasn’t even looking at him. Straightening his shoulders, Nick sneered, “Yeah, whatever Kevin. I don’t wanna get in yer way or nothin’.”

Kevin didn’t even seem to hear Nick’s words, only noticing the young man leaving as Nick brushed against him rather roughly, pushing Kevin aside a few steps. Kevin’s eyes flashed, “Watch it, Kaos.”

Nick just kept on walking, alone, to the livery.

Kevin shook his head and dismissed it, turning to what had caught his attention, causing the anger to rise from within to the forefront of his mind. Kevin crossed his arms over his chest and waited.

A chuckle came forth from the shadows, a form slowly stepping out of them. Kevin sneered and dropped his hands to his guns.

“Branson,” Kevin bit out through clenched teeth, “Nice of you to show yerself, makes it all the more easier for me.”

Branson smiled as Kevin drew one of his guns, shaking his head, “Kevin Richardson. Ya know, I was wondering when we’d cross paths again. Been wantin’ to finish what I started nine years ago.”

Kevin’s whole image seemed to darken, “So have I. Before I shoot yer ugly face off, I want to know who hired you.”

Branson laughed outright, “Who hired me? For knocking yer dad off or for the kid?”

Kevin snarled, “Both.”

Branson sobered, “Take a moment and think, Richardson. I ain’t gonna tell ya who hired me, even with the threat of you shootin’ me. If’n you shoot me, you can kiss yer young friend good-bye.”

Kevin paused; fear suddenly clutching his heart, “What are you talkin’ about?”

“You have a choice, Richardson,” continued Branson, ignoring the question, “Kill me or save yer friend... that you left alone.”

Kevin felt his breath leave his lungs, “You bastard.”

“True,” nodded Branson, who grinned evilly, “What’s it gonna be, Richardson?”

Kevin scowled and holstered his sidearm, throwing Branson one last parting shot before spinning around, “This ain’t over, Branson. On my father’s grave, it ain’t over.”

Kevin left the smirking outlaw and headed in a dead sprint to the livery.

~/~/~( )~~~


Nick stalked to the livery, berating himself for ever thinking he had found friends that would protect him, help him. Throwing the barn door open, Nick scoffed, “Lotta good it’s done me. Never shoulda believed ‘em.”

As Nick’s eyes finally adjusted to the dark interior, he stepped up to Journey’s stall and placed a hand on the bay’s neck. He sighed, “What’ve I gotten myself into, Journey? Why do I suddenly have a price on my head?”

Journey suddenly snorted, stomping his foot. Nick froze, the hairs on the back of his neck prickling. He stared into his horse’s dark eyes and saw the warning and glares to something beyond him. A click came from behind him. Aw, hell...

“All right, kid,” said a low and rough voice, “Turn yerself around slow like and hands out.”

Nick ground his teeth and slowly turned around, his hands away from his guns. Before him were two men, one with a gun trained on him and the other with coils of rope. The one with the gun spoke again.

“Don’t move and ya won’t get hurt,” he growled, stepping toward Nick, “We’re goin’ for a little ride.”

Nick bit his lip, his eyes darting around in search of escape. He could hear Journey’s agitated shuffling and kicking in the stall behind him, knowing his man was in danger. As the armed man stopped a few feet in front of Nick and motioned the one with the rope forward, Nick spied a bucket at his feet, bottom up. Nick looked back at his kidnappers and smiled, which caused them to frown but continue with their business. As the man with the rope took Nick’s hands and pulled them behind his back, Nick slowly inched his foot to the base of the bucket, working his toe beneath the rim. Nick winced as the man behind him roughly tied his hands together. Nick needed a distraction.

Just then the livery doors flew open, slamming into the walls like a crack from a bull whip. The two men were both caught off guard and Nick acted, hooking his foot under the bucket and kicking it up into the air and at the man with the gun. The man turned back at the commotion and cried out in surprise as an object sailed at him from the darkness before him, instinctively firing his gun at the specter before it slammed into him, knocking him to the ground.

As the man fell, Nick threw his body backwards, smashing into the man behind him and hearing him grunt in surprise. Nick looked up and twisted away, falling to the livery’s dusty floor. The man he’d just slammed into the stall made to go after Nick, but paused at two loud clicks. The man slowly turned his head and then straightened, hands out in submission.

Kevin kept a gun trained on each outlaw, daring them to move, “Untie ‘im.”

The man standing went to Nick on the floor and untied his wrists, straightening and looking at Kevin. Nick gingerly pushed himself to his feet, rubbing his wrists.

“Kaos, take the rope and tie ‘em up,” ordered Kevin, his stare unwavering from the two outlaws.

With a scowl, Nick went and picked the other man up and brought him to the other, positioning them around one of the livery’s support poles and firmly tying them to it.

Kevin holstered his guns, turning his gaze to Nick, “You okay?”

Nick glared at the gunslinger, “Fine, no thanks to you.”

Kevin gave an almost imperceptible wince, diverting his attention to the contrite outlaws trussed up to the support beam, “How’d Branson know I’d leave the kid alone?”

The men looked confused, one spoke, “I don’t know what yer talkin’ about, Richardson. We were jus’ supposed to nab the kid if he was ever alone. Branson didn’t know if he would be or not.”

Kevin furrowed his brow as Nick listened with a puzzled expression, “What the hell, Kevin?”

Kevin didn’t answer, lost in his thoughts. Branson said I had left him alone... Left... LEFT! Kevin snapped his head around and to the livery doors, “Aw, crap!”

Nick was getting annoyed, “What?!”

“Shit,” muttered Kevin, finally looking at Nick, “It weren’t you, damn it...”

“Weren’t me what?” asked Nick, getting pissed off even more than he already was at Kevin.

“Branson said he’d be after the friend I’d left alone,” explained Kevin, his voice shaking slightly, “I didn’t leave you, you left me.” Kevin paused, locking eyes with Nick, “It’s Brian. He’s goin’ after Brian.”

Nick’s anger fell away and fear replaced it. He barely acknowledged it as Kevin suddenly burst from the livery and into the street. Nick shook his head and finally snapped out of his stupor, soon out the door and on Kevin’s heels.

~/~/~( )~~~


Brian flashed his brightest grin, laying down his cards, “Full house, gentlemen, Kings over Queens. Can anyone answer that?”

The mumbled grumbles and curses from the three men at his table provided the answer and Brian chuckled, leaning over to gather his winnings, “I truly am sorry, gentlemen. I seem to have found a winning streak.”

“You sure have, pard,” spoke one of his players, shaking his head. “I’m plum near cleaned out.”

“My apologies, sir,” allocated the gambler, “Perhaps your fortune will turn and Lady Luck will smile upon you before this day is spent.”

The man smiled, “I’d sure like that, mister.”

Brian smiled at the man. He was a local rancher of this providence and a kind man. He had no useful information to provide the gambler, but he was good company and a satisfying poker player. Brian’s smile fell as he looked upon his other two players. One was big and burly with a mean countenance about him, the other was lanky framed and blond haired with an almost menacing demeanor. Brian couldn’t get any information from the pair no matter how much he sugar coated his words and subtle questions. Brian was becoming suspicious of their calculating personalities.

The blond one spoke, his voice sneering, “Winning streak, eh? I think you been cheatin’ us.”

Brian stiffened, carefully adjusting his position.

“Now take it easy, Kyle,” sneered the burly, bearded man, “We don’t want no trouble, do we?”

“I don’t give a rat’s butt, Les!” snarled Kyle, “I’m a’tired of waitin’! Let’s get this cheatin’ son of a bitch!”

Brian raised his eyebrows, calmly gazing back and forth between the two. He noticed the rancher had discreetly sidled out of harms way, for which Brian was glad as he didn’t have to worry about him now.

“Well,” grinned Les, staring at Brian with a feral look in his eyes, “When you put it that way...”

Brian felt his heart skip a beat as the two men sprang to their feet, their chairs falling back and to the floor with collective bangs as they both drew their guns.

Brian jumped to his feet and stumbled back, off guard and suddenly finding himself on the wrong side of two guns.

Aw, hell...