- Text Size +
SNOW DAY!!! yeah, i had a snow day, im stuck in the house, so i had time to write! yay! anyway, this chapter totally just pooped in my mind and i started writing it. i hope you guys enjoy. well, more to come as soon as possible. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE REVIEW. for me? pwease. lol. thanks ladies and gentlemen. lol
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 11


I can’t say the drive down to wherever he was taking me wasn’t uncomfortable. I guess hanging out with your boss is always a weird situation, cause it’s like, your boss. But it was especially weird with him because of this weird, I guess you would say relationship, we had. I really wanted to start up some conversation, but I could not think of one damn thing that we a) had in common or b) was not a really uncomfortable topic, like family, which I think is the only thing we do have in common.

I took in a deep breath and began to stare out the window of his Durango, watching all of the huge houses and perfect lawns pass me by. “So, you’re from Maine?” Nick asked. I wanted to sigh and tell him I was already bored with t his conversation, but instead I just gave a quick, ‘Yeah’. I felt bad instantly. I could tell he was truly trying to be nice, and I was giving him a quick ‘Please shut up and leave me alone’ tone. “Yeah. This really small town of Bangor. It was pretty much the lamest place in the world.” I continued. “So, did you go to college there?” he asked, seemingly happy that I was speaking again. “Please. The day after I graduated high-school, I got the first ticket out of there. I moved to Florida. I had gotten accepted to Florida Southern College, so I went there. Wasn’t exactly my first choice, but it was what I could afford.” I shrugged. “So, why’dja pick Florida?” he asked, stopping at the red light and looking over to me. “I figured it was as polar opposite from Maine I could go without leaving the country.” I replied. He smiled at me as the light turned green. “And to get away from your mom?” he asked. “Well, that was a given.” I joked lightly. “So, why do you go down at Thanksgiving? You are obviously unhappy about it.” He asked, pulling into a small diner called Lazy Sunday. He was NOT kidding when he said it was for the retired folks. “Honestly, I really don’t know. Everytime I go, I just get frustrated and annoyed and count down the days till I get to leave. But, I don’t know. I guess because, like, it is my mom, so I almost feel obligated. I can’t explain it. It’s a really weird way my mind works. But I only go for Thanksgiving. I don’t even call her on Mother’s Day, but I fly up on Thanksgiving. The world works in crazy ways.” I shrugged. He smirked at me. “I’m sure, deep down, she really does care.” He replied. He then proceeded to open his door, and jump out of his seat. She really does care. Pssh. Sure. Not.

I got out of the car and walked by the front door of the dinner to meet him. He opened it for me and allowed me to walk ahead of him. “So the Prince has manners.” I smirked at him and I walked by. “Hey, I thought we weren’t being mean to each other anymore!” he laughed. I shrugged. “It was to easy.” I replied. “Oh, ok.... so I get to be mean to you, too, if the moment presents itself.” He nodded. “Of course.” I replied. We followed this little waitress named Minnie to a booth and I sat across from him. “So Carter, really, why did you bring me here?” I asked as Minnie walked off to get menus. “Um.... for food?” he said, not sure what his answer should be. I just laughed and shook my head. “Other than food. We barely ever speak to each other, when we do it’s uncomfortable, and now were having a ‘I’m-gonna-miss-you-over-the-Thanksgiving-break’ Party. So what’s the deal?” I asked.

Honestly, I have no clue where this sudden rush of boldness came from. But the question had been bugging me since he invited me, so I figured what the hell?

Minnie came over and handed me a menu. Nick pouted up at her, and I gave them both a more confused than ever look. “One of these days, Min, I’m gonna change my order on you and you are going to be a really confused and sad person.” Nick stated, taking a sip of his water. Nickolas, you have been coming here for a couple years now and have never changed your order. Why would you start now?” she asked with a smile. “And your girlfriend is hear.” She finished, smacking with a dish towel and walking away. “Your girlfriend?” I asked, raising my eyebrow. (Well, trying to anyway. I was never really good at that)

He laughed at the face I was giving him, then responded. “Yeah, my girlfriend, Margie.” He proceeded to half sit up from the booth and look around the restaurant.

His GIRLFRIEND?

Named Margie?

At THIS place?

He finally spotted who he was looking for and pulled me up with him. “Come with me real quick. I want you to meet someone.” I followed his across the floor, stopping when he jumped up to sit on a stool at the counter next to this little old lady. “Hey, babe.” He smirked. “Oh, Nickolas! You scared me.” She said with a laugh. “How are you sweetie?” he asked. “I’m doing fine. I’m actually glad to see you. I wanted to ask you about how everything was going with the young lady you...” Nick quickly cut her off. I guess he could sense how confused I was by this whole situation.

“Margie, this is Lauri. Remember that new assistant I was telling you about.” God damnit, he is still calling me his ‘assistant’ to people. “Oooh.” She replied with a smile and a nod. “She is very pretty.” She replied. Taking my hand and smiling at me. “Thanks, ma’am.” I responded with a smile. “Oh, don’t call me ma’am. Margie, dear. I’m not an old lady.” She replied, smiling at me. “Of course not.” I smiled back. “Lauri, this is Margie. She used to be my neighbor, and always came to my house telling me to turn my ‘God-damned devil’s music down’.” Nick smiled. “It was always to terribly loud.” She said to me, as though Nick wasn’t there. Nick laughed, and finally one day, she moved.” Nick finished. “You made her move?” I practically screeched at him, smacking him in the chest. But Margie laughed. “Oh no dear, I can never settle in one place for too long. I have to move once every couple of years. Nick just gave me a good reason.” she smiled, squeezing his cheeks. “I just moved to the other side of the neighborhood. Such a pretty view of the lake I have, now.” She continued. “And now we rendezvous here a couple times a month.” Nick smiled. “He’s a very good boy. You should hold on to him.” She said, wagging her finger at me.

I don’t really like fighting with old people... but eww. Does she think me and Nick are... dating? Um.... no. We both spoke up at the same time. “Um... we’re not dating...” I went on. “Margie, she’s my employee.” He said at the same time.

Margie just smiled. “You young kids jump to such conclusions.” She replied, shaking her head. “Well, I’ll let you two alone. Go and enjoy lunch. But Nick, I want to talk to you sometime this week.” She said. “Now scat you two, my eggs are getting cold.” “Bye Margie.” Nick replied, kissing her cheek and walking back to the booth. I waved and followed him.

“Well, that was weird.” I stated. He shrugged and laughed. “Yeah, she really hated me for a while. Then we kept seeing each other here. She started to warm up to me. Seems that happens a lot.” She smirked. “Hey, whoever said I was warming up to you?” I asked, looking over my menu.

He just shrugged and laughed. “You know you are.” He accused. I shook my head. “Umm... no.” I said, going back to my menu. “Come on Laur. I mean, I know it’s hard and all, seeing how you just came to terms with being a fan and all. But admit it. It will be easier for everyone.” He said with his all-knowing tone.

“One, we’re not starting with the I’m your fan thing again. Two, I put up with you, because you are my boss.” I finished, putting my menu down, and staring at him.

“That sounds just like something that a fan would say.” He replied, feigning shock.

“I strongly dislike you right now.” I said. “Hey, you never answered my question. I want to know why you brought me here.” I stated again. “Honestly?” he asked. I want to reply with a ‘No, lie to me, Carter.’

But I didn’t.

“Because I like talking to you. I like having a conversation with someone who doesn't agree with everything I say because they’re smitten with me. It’s nice to feel normal and talk to someone.” He shrugged. “Well, I’m glad I can give you the feeling of a common folk. Ain’t it glamorous?” I replied. “Is that all?” I asked. “No, I really was hoping you would cut my food for me.” He said with a straight face.

“I hate you Carter.” I laughed, throwing my menu at him.

“Hey, the moment presented itself.” He smirked.

God, I was confused by this man.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

review review review.