- Text Size +
Deep breath in, deep breath out. Funny things happen on first days of work. Even the most nominal task, like putting the hubcap back on, can prove to be very stressful. I gripped the stewing wheel tighter and cringed while remembering the little gas station fiasco 10 minutes back. Note to self: throwing hup cap on the ground and calling it a worthless piece of crap will not make it go on easier. I had to laugh at myself. I was getting way to worked up overt this. It’s just a lousy personal assistant job. No big deal.

No,, it actually is a big deal. Because not only is this job helping me out now, it may help me in the long run. Now, it paid the bills, which is great. But I did NOT spend four years working my ass off for a major in Print & Corporate Communications to be some popstars babysitter. When this year is up, I’m getting this guy to write me an awesome recommendation letter. My big dream is to someday own my PR firm. But everyone has to work their way up, right?

I sighed as I pulled into the gated community that Nick lived in. Sometimes I only thought homes like these were only in movies. Real people can’t actually live in homes this nice and massive. I mean, whoa. They are big and beautiful and just... whoa. After reading the paper with the address once more, I pulled into the driveway that belonged to my new boss. I pulled down the visor to check my hair and makeup before getting out of the car and slamming the door. I glanced down at my outfit. Really cute pinstripe black pants from Express and a cream colored chic blouse from Guess. My splurge outfit. I figured a new job called for a splurge outfit.

I walked across the driveway while listening to the click of my Payless heels. (Don’t underestimate the power of Payless. Plus, I was practically out of money after buying the top and pants). I took a deep breath in as I knocked on the door. And exhaled. And waited.

And waited.

And waited. And sighed. And blew a strand of hair out of may face. And puled a loose thread off of my shirt. And sighed again. OK, I’m officially bored now. I knocked and rang the doorbell again. Glancing at my watch, I saw the time read 8:04. Was I at the right house? I rang the doorbell once more. After another minute, I heard some sort of life behind the door and finally it swung open.

“Who are you?” the tall, sleep-deprived many behind it grunted. I plastered my award winning fake smile. “I’m Lauri Fostern, Mr. Carter. Your new assistant.” I couldn’t bring myself to say personal. I felt like I’d loose to much dignity. After a few more moments of contemplation, he finally came up with the articulate response of “Huh?” I clenched my teeth into a smile and replied, “Lauri Fostern. Your new personal assistant.” I said slowly. “Oh, yeah. Umm... hi. You wanna come in?” he asked, still looking bewildered. ‘No jackass, I want to work right here on your lawn.’ I thought to myself. But instead I kept smiling and nodded. I walked into his house and for about two beats, I stood their gawking. The entry hall itself was amazing. Lucky bastard.

“Um, I’m Nick..... Carter. Nick Carter.” He said almost as if he were unsure, holding out his hand. “Long night?” I asked, shaking it. I immediately wanted to kick myself. That’s really high up on the ‘Things Not to Say to Your New Boss’ list. He just laughed. “Yeah, you could say that.” He replied, rubbing the back of his neck. Sense seemed to slowly slip back to him and he formed a coherent sentence. “Listen, I’m going upstairs to take a shower and stuff. You can like, look around and make yourself at home.” He continued to rub his temples, like speech and thought was painful. “OK?” I replied. Great. Now I sound like I’m, questioning myself, too.

I watched him climb his staircase, then fell back into the sofa behind me. Let me asses this situation. I was up at 6:00 to get ready. I drive for 45 minutes from my apartment to here, all dressed up, while this asshole rolls out of bed at 8:04 in his pajamas and doesn’t even know who I am?

I think I’m pissed off. Like, really. Come on now. He could at least remember what my position in his life was. If I was getting a personal assistant handed to me, I think I’d at least remember they exist. Scoffing, I kicked the coffee table in front on me. Quickly regretting that move, I pulled my foot away and pouted. “Damn thin shoe.” I muttered. I leaned my head against the sofa to reassess the situation. He left me also so he could go take a shower? During the first five minutes of me working here? This all just seems a little weird.

40 minutes later......

I was quite comfortable on the sofa with a n issue of ‘People’ I found laying around (celebrities read these?) when I heard scampering down the stairs. Looking up, I saw a woman looking pretty shame faced wearing a mini skirt and tank top. She practically ran out of the house. A few minutes later, Nick walked down the stairs, the confusion that previously on his face was replaced by a smirk. It was my turn to give him a confused look. “Long night.” He replied. “Just wished they wouldn’t take it so personal when ya kick em out the next morning.”

Oh my God. No he just didn’t.

I tried my best to plaster a smile back on my face, but I physically couldn’t. “Well, maybe if they weren’t treated like a piece of worthless trash you can throw out in the morning, they wouldn’t take it so personal.” I replied sweetly, pretending to be helpful. Just because I couldn’t leave before me year contract expired, it didn’t mean I couldn’t get fired.

His friendly, joking manner quickly washed away. Guess no one ever put him in his place before. “Do you want me to show you around to your office so you can get to work for me?” He quipped with sarcasm. Oh wow, he is definitely pulling the alpha male ego trip. I smiled brightly. “Yes, Mr. Carter.”

Only 364 more days to go.