- Text Size +
The original chapter was going to be MUCH longer than this, but i had to cut in into two parts because i REALLY need to finish my summer reading work. The rest should be up tonight. Nothing to much hsppening in this chapter. I might go back and make some changes later, because when i read it, it feels a little rushed. I'll post part two before i do that, though. Part two will def. be up tonight, but i have to do my summer reading work first. ((i totally cancelled a sleep over to work on it, and havent started yet, lol))

ok, enjoy part one!!

_________________________________________________________

Chapter 22

December 24th

Part one.

1:00 p.m.

“You do know that you’re only staying three days, and that we aren’t planning to scale Mount Everest during that time frame, right?” Nick asked as he dropped my two overstuffed duffle bags on the floor.

I just snorted at him. “I like to be prepared.” I said, daintily dropping myself on the bed and sticking my tongue out at him. “Yeah, well, if Christmas decides to run an extra two weeks, you’re set.” “You’re just mad you’re too weak to carry a girl’s stuff.” I said, giving him the ‘you-know-I’m-right look’. It was his turn to scoff, fumble with his words, and then give an eloquent ‘Shut up.’

“Alright, Carter, so, what do we do now to entertain ourselves for the next few days?” I asked, grabbing my purse and hoping off of the bed. “I was thinking we could start by getting a Christmas tree.” He shrugged, following me as I began to walk out of the room. I surveyed the living room as I walked down the steps and noticed that there indeed was no tree. “Well, that would be a good start. Alright, let’s get this holiday thingy started.” I said with as much enthusiasm as possible. I don’t wanna be the bummer for the holiday. “Don’t get too excited now.” He joked, grabbing his car keys. Damn, he’s on to me. Oh well.

I followed him outside in the bright Florida afternoon. Honestly, if I hadn’t looked at the calendar, or had holiday commercials penetrating the privacy of my living room TV for the past month, I would never know it was Christmas Eve. The one thing I can honestly say I can miss about Manie are white Christmases.

“BMW or Hummer?” he asked, squinting and twirling his key ring around his index finger. “Yeah I’d like to see you tie a Christmas tree to the top of your convertible.” I replied, rolling my eyes and walking towards the Hummer. He just shrugged and hit the door unlock button. I opened the door and tried my best to elegantly get into the car.

That wasn’t happening.

Nick was sitting in the driver’s seat in a matter of seconds, while I was trying to grasp onto something that was anchored down for leverage. “Having some trouble there?” he asked, trying his hardest to hold in a laugh. “I think you might have been wrong when you said we wouldn’t be scaling Everst.” I replied, finally getting myself halfway into the car. I pulled myself in the rest of the way, took a deep breath, and then looked over to him. “If you laugh at me, I will have to kill you.” I said simply, glaring at him. He put his hands up in defense, but I can see he wanted to laugh.

“Why is this car so damn big, anyway?” I asked as he began to pull out of his driveway. He finally let out a laugh. “Your just mad you’re to weak to get into a man’s car.” He countered.

“Touché, Carter. Touché. That was actually a good one.” I giggled. “I know.” He smirked.

“So, you can really get like, Christmas trees here?” I asked, staring out the window, trying to figure out how and evergreen would last a minute. “Of course. You’ve been here for a few years, you should know that.” I just shook my head. “I lived in a dorm for four years. The closet thing I had to a Christmas tree was one of those 12 inch dealies that you put on your dresser.” I reminded. “Oh, that sucks. I actually haven’t bought one in a while, since I usually stay with Brian, but you can get them, you just have to know where to go. I have a friend that sells them.” He replied. “So, you’re like, the insider of the Florida underground Christmas tree ring? How did I get so lucky?” I joked.

“Don’t get smart, I might have to blindfold you so you don’t know where we’re going.” He laughed.

We drove for a good twenty minutes more, having random conversation, until we finally reached the tree place. For it being Christmas Eve, there were still a helluva lot of trees there. “Wait, don’t get out of the car yet.” Nick said as I opened the car door and looked at the far drop. Getting down was going to be a bitch.

I watched his hop from his seat (bastard) and walk to my side of the side of the car. He positioned himself right in front of my door with his arms outstretched, then motioned that he got me. He grabbed me by the waist and hoisted me right onto the ground. “You’re such a gentleman.” I laughed as he shut the door for me. “Well, I couldn’t have you break your ankle on Christmas Eve.” He replied as we walked over to the trees. “Nicky!” I heard someone call from.... somewhere. I looked around, and saw a guy walk from behind the trees. Nick and the mystery guy proceeded to do the awkward man hug-pat-shake thing, and I just stood there clueless. “Lauri, this is my friend Joey. Joey, this is Lauri.” “Hi,” he said, extending his hand. “Nick’s told me a lot about you.” He said with a smirk. Oh my God he reminded me of Brent. “I’m sure they were all good things.” I replied sarcastically. He just smiled. “Most of them were.” He replied simply.

Alrighty then.

“Yeah, so let’s just look around.” Nick finally said, pulling me towards the displays. “I want a big, fat one. A huge one.” I said, walking up and down the lanes. “How about this one?” Nick asked, pointing to one. “It’s to tall and skinny.” I said, scrunching my nose. I hoped up and down the tree lined isles until I stopped dead in my tracks.

“Nick!!!!!!!!!” I screamed at the top of my lungs.

There was a lound rustling and then Nick quite literally jumped through a tree, out of breath. “What’s wrong, are you ok??” he asked, panting.

“This is the most fucking adorable tree I’ve ever seen in my life.” I said, looking over at him. He rolled his eyes and stomped his foot. “Lauri, I thought you were hurt or something.” He whined. “How would I get hurt in a Christmas tree place?” I waved my hand in the air. “Never mind. Can we please please please get this one!?” I asked, literally begging.

It was perfect. It was a super short tree. It was literally my height, so about 5’4’ or 5’5’’, and so freaking fat. It was adorable.

“Sure, I don’t care. It’s kinda small, isn’t it?” he asked.

“No! It’s perfect.” I said, giving it a hug.

Oh my God, I’m hugging a tree.

“Alright, alright, let go of the tree before the cops show up. Yo, Joey!” He yelled. Within a few minutes, Joey walked over towards us. “Can you like, do the thing and get this hooked up to the car or something?” Nick asked.

“Nick, this is a great tree. I know a lot about trees. This ones a good one.” Joey said with a wink.

Alright I guess everyone’s got their own fetish.

“OK, man, just get the tree down.” Nick said, giving Joey a strange look.

I walked over to the car, and got myself into the seat a little easier than the first time. Nick was doing his best to help his friend, but I could tell he had absolutely no clue what he was doing. Finally Joey told Nick to go away because ‘he handled a tree like a women’.

“Does he have some kind of fetish?” I asked when Nick got into the car. He just laughed and shook his head. “It’s not what you think.” He simply said, and I just shrugged.

Boys are too weird.

After a few minutes, Joey took the money from Nick, and said, “You got yourself a hot tree there.” Nick told Joey he would call him in a few days, and to have a good Christmas before driving off.

“Did he just call the tree hot?” I asked incredulously.

Nick just laughed again. Maybe he does have a fetish.

I just shrugged again. Whatever floats your boat.