- Text Size +
Chapter 6

Hey all! Wellz, I finally actually mapped out where the story id going. Ive just been writing down whatever comes into my my head when I get on the computer to write, but now I have like, a set storyline. So, go me! Hehe. Anywho, this chappy is a little longer, so that’s a plus, ive noticed my chapters are pretty short.
I’m really excited about chapter 7, because I think that’s where the story is gonna take off, if I write it right!! Well, hope you enjoy this chapter!!! Please please review, I wanna make sure every1 still likes. ***muah** darlings!

Monday, November 12

“So he was bitched out by you and your best friend. That is freakin classic.” Kodi snorted on the other end. “Yea, I sure do win the gold star for employee of the month.” I replied, absently replacing some random papers on my desk. “Yea, well, even if your not little Nicky boy’s favorite, you certainly are doing a good job.” Kodi replied on the other end. “A good job? Kodi, you do know that I’ve been working here for like, one week, right?” She just laughed. “I wish you could’ve seen some of the girls that have worked here before you, hun. You would’ve loved it.”

“Whatcha mean?” I asked, sitting back in my chair. This sounds like it could be an interesting story. “Well, there were two girls before you. Both of them were like, the epitome of psycho fans. Girly, I don’t know if you know or not, but you are living every Nick Carter fans wet dream. You know his address, the code to his house, his home and cell phone number, his e-mail, you work right in his house, and you see him everyday.” “If I only knew sooner I would be so fortunate.” I deadpanned. “To them, you are. Well, like I was saying, total psycho fans. The first girl, Tina, called him late at night. And I’m talking, like, 2 and 3 in the morning and then hang up. Completely weird. They e-mailed him, IMed him. And the same chick, Tina, since she knew his schedual, she would show up to places she knew he would be. But the worst was the last one, Kimberly. She actually started taking pictures of him, all around his house, all up in his bedroom. Obviously freaked Nick right out. Had all his numbers and codes changed. It was a mess.” “Then why would you hire another young girl? Isnt that like, a signal flag?” “Obviously was. I actually didn’t want to hire you. I mean, you had the perfect resume, considring you were straight out of college, and your grades were awsome. But I was afraid you would be another crazy one. But Beckka, my boss, likes hiring girls out of college to try to give them work experience, cause she’s all about the feminist movement or whatever. That’s why I was so releived when you called me the first day and were bitching. I was never so happy to hear someone complain about that boy in my life.” she finished. I laughed. “So like, they did his laundry… and were happy about it?” I asked. “Happy about it? God, they kept some.” She laughed. “That’s so weird. They…. Did his laundry….. And were happy about it.” I replied, amazed. Kodi laughed. “Your missing the point, hun. They kept his dirty underwear. I thought that was kinda strange.”

I smiled, then cringed. “It definetly is trifling. . You know what Kodi? We need to hang out. I need to like, meet you and bash Nick in person.” I said. “We have to. It would be fun. Oh shit, which reminds me. You said you didn’t like the commute from your apartment to Nick’s, right?” she asked. “Umm, no. It’s like, 45 minutes. Kinda sucks extra early in the morning.” I laughed. “Would you want an apartment about 10 minutes away?” she asked. “Um… I guess?” I said. I could never afford any place 10 minutes away from here. It was all really expensive places. I bet even the apartments ran for at least 6 thousand a month. And that would be considered the ‘crappy’ apartments. “Awesome. It’s a really really small side thing, but Jive does this housing thing. Basically, we put new employee’s up in an apartment for a year, just till they get on their feet, then they move out, and another new employee moves in, the cycle goes on and everyone is happy.” Kodi replied. “Wait, what? So, you’d give me an apartment…. I don’t have to pay…It seems really simple but I don’t understand. Where do you guys benefit from this?” I asked. “It increases employee productivity. We started it about ten years back, and their were like these, dudes doing studies here and everything. It showed that employees were just doing better as a whole, because there was less stress of saving money. Basically, the program wants you to be able to start saving money for a year, so that you can buy a nice place when the year is up. You’re happy, were happy. It all works out. Not all employees are eligible. You just happen to be a friend of someone who is a good friend of someone who controls the list.” “Are you serious? So I won’t have to pay rent, electricity, heat, water, none of that?” “Nope. Now I’m not free today, but what are you doing after work tomorrow? We can meet up, take a look at the place, then we can go get a drink afterwards.” She replied coolly. Like this was normal. Like relieving someone of financial stress was something she did on a day-to-day basis. “I love you.” I blurted out. Kodi just laughed on the other end. “Don’t worry about it. Thank me after you make sure you like the place.” “Kodi, I don’t care if it’s a cardboard box, it’s fucking free. Do you even know how much this is going to help me. I mean, I can make bigger payments on my student loans. I can repay my credit card bills. This is… this is the coolest, weirdest, most awesome thing that has ever even been mentioned to me.” She continued to laugh on the other line. Don’t worry about it sweetie. Listen, I have to go now, but I’ll swing by Nick’s house after work tomorrow, and we’ll go down to the place. Is that cool?” She asked. “Yeah.” I breathed. “Alrighty, I’ll see ya tomorrow.” She said. “Cya.” I replied, dropping the phone into the cradle.

I think I’m about to pass out. I am literally having a hard time breathing. No payments for an apartment? At all? Not even utilities? This was just… it was just woah. This had just become the best job that I could ever ask for. Ever. I didn’t even care as Nick popped his head in my door.

“Hey Lauri, how ya doing?” He asked. Bitch. Ruin the damn moment. I knew he was trying to act all nice because Sara had called him out. He was looking nervously around the room, and I wanted to tell him Sara wasn’t here, but I thought he looked kinda funny scanning the wide flat room, so I let him keep doing it for amusement. When he was finally satisfied, he walked in. “So, I’m about to go pick Brent up from the airport now. Did you set up that guestroom for me?” He asked, his damn smug attitude back in check.

I wanted to be snippy and rude and make some remark that would just make me feel better about myself, but I couldn’t. I wasn’t risking this job. From this point on, he can walk all over me as much as he wants. I don’t care. Cause even though he is being a bitch, I will be going home every night to a FREE apartment.

“No Mr. Carter. I didn’t get to it yet.Let me just finish putting in this appointment and I’ll get right on it.” I said in my best trying-to-be-a-effiecent-worker-while-not-trying-to-look-sarcastic voice. He gave me a strange look, then just nodded. “Yeah, so I’ll be back in about two hours. We’re probably going to stop somewhere to eat.” He replied, walking towards the door. “Alright, Mr. Carter.” I replied absently. I felt him staring at me as I began to type on the computer. I know he thinks I’m bipolar or something. Whatever, fucker. I’m the one making out in the end.


Tuesday

Of course, Tuesday was the longest day of my life. I was so damn excited to see my new apartment, I even got dressed up. I was in these awsome Victoria’s Secret lavender pinstipe pants, with this awsome creame blouse and my new heels. I looked uber professional, considering yesterday I wore a complete relaxing on the weekend outfit consisting of khaki capris, sandals and a a white cotton button down. (I figured from day one my cute pantsuit outfit was just not the right attire for this envirnment. He was damn lucky I didn’t know up in my pajama bottoms.) Time was slowly ticking by, and it seemeed like there was less and less for me to do. I almost wish Nick would’ve gave me something at least partially productive, but he was to busy with Brent. I actually havent even seen him at all today, which was freaky, cause he always pops in a least twice to tell me to do some meanial task. Brent was actually a sweet guy. I met him yesterday when Nick brought him in. I mean, he seemed down to earth, but then again, I spoke to him for all of about, 47 seconds.

Finally, it was 4:30, and I knew Kodi would be here any minute. She left her office at 4 and said it takes about a half hour to get from there to here. I decided to close shop and wander out into the living room, thinking that no one would be there, but, lo and behold, they were both sitting on the sofa, playing Miami Vice or some other strange game where you drive around and shot random pedestrians.

“Well, don’t we just look like a hot little sex kitten?” Brent asked, pausing the game.

God damnit I hate my life. Scratch Brent off the nice list.

In these situations, I never know if I should just smile, give an uncomfortable laugh, or flip him off. So I opted with the ‘whatever, loser’ look and sat on the arm of the sofa. “Good afternoon, boys.” I said with my exasperated and bored tone. Nick just kind of stared at me for a minute. I’m pretty sure he was trying to think of some witty remark or something, but was just to lazy to form the words, so he let Brent go on again. “Damn, Nick, I wish I had sexy-ass bitches working for me at my house.” he finished, going back to the game.

Even Nick looked offended, so I knew I had a right to be pissed off.

I don’t really know what came over me, but the next thing I remember that I was next to the Xbox, yanking the cords out of the machine and throwing it across the room. I walked a few feet in front of where he was sitting and stared at him with more malice then I have ever stared at anyone before. “I swear to God, if you ever disrespect me like that ever again, I will fucking rip out your throat with my bare hands and shove my Franco Sarto heel right up your ass.” He looked up at me with an expression that read, ‘I am going to piss myself now.’ I chucked the one cord that was left in my hand right onto his lap, glared, then proceeded to walk to the front door.

I don’t know why I got so angry…. but I did. I leaned against the wall of the fron of the house, trying to figure out why that small remark threw me over the edge like that, when Nick came outside and stood next to me. “Hey, I’m really sorry about that. That was really out of line for him to say that.” He said. “Yeah, and you sure did a hell of a job letting him know that back there.” I replied. OK, I know I shouldn’t be bitter at him, but I was. He laughed uneasily. “If I told you it was because I was afraid to speak in your presence, would you forgive me?” He asked. I just chuckeld. “Yeah. I forgive you. Hey, I hope I didn’t ruin your game thingy back there.” I said.

And I really hoped I didn’t. Cause if I did I would probably be buying him a new one.

“Nah, it’s cool. I’ve done worse when I get pissed off at my raching games.” He replied. I smiled at him and he spoke up again. “Well, I’m going to go back there and… well probably tell him off….. and finish the game.” he admitted. “It’s cool. Not your fault your friends an asshole.” I shrugged. “No Franco Sarto up my ass?” he laughed. “I promise.” I replied. He smiled back. “I’ll see ya tomorrow, Lauri.” He stated, walking back into the house.

Ok, we shared another calm, friendly moment. I’m wating for him to come back out and tell me to do his laundry or something, anything to fuck it up, but that moment never came. Then I saw a car coming up the driveway and smiled. The anger pured out of my body as I realised I was about to go see my new apartment. My new, free apartment.

This is going to rock hardcore style.
_________________