- Text Size +
-sorry about the wierd post it took me a while to actually get this up for some reason;. i dont know what was going on. anywho, i finally beat it and here ya go. hope yall enjoy!!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 8


I stared at him, wide-eyed, for a good minute or two. Finally, my heart slowed down a little bit. This is it. I’m going to get fired. I didn’t even get to move into my new apartment yet.

No way, I am NOT going down without a fight. I tired to regulate my breathing, then I finally spoke up, my voice a little stronger than I imagined. “Well, it’s true.” Hmm...that wasn’t too hard. “You know what, I now about a hundred people who would die to have your job, especially for the amount you get paid, and not complain about it.”

OK, now I am starting to get pissed. “Oh, well excuse me for not catching that memo. I’m sure they’d love getting treated like shit everyday just as much as I do.” I snapped, standing up. “I do not treat you like shit.” He snapped back. I just started to laugh. “Are you serious? You don’t treat me like shit? Oh, well, OK, I must have been reading you wrong for the past three weeks then. Silly me.” “When have I ever treated you like shit?” he commanded, his voice raising. “Every fucking day. You also want me to do these menial tasks, like your laundry, or picking up your crap from across town, just to belittle me. And don’t stand there shaking your head because you know it’s true.” “I don’t do it to put you down, I do it because it’s part of you job!”

This conversation was starting to get pretty heated. He was still about 15 feet away from me, but I could see his cheeks and ears begin to turn red. But I couldn’t back down. I already put myself this far out and there was no turning back.

“Nick, no. No one makes someone do their laundry; pick up their car, their clothes, clean their room. That’s a maid’s job. I’m your secretary. You know you make me do that crap because you think it’s cool that someone works beneath you. I’m not some little puppy you can kick around cause it won’t do anything. I’m a fucking person. And I’m sorry if I don’t make as much money as you, but I still deserve to be treated with a little bit of dignity.” He rolled his eyes and began to rant again. “Yup. You guessed it. I treat you bad cause you don’t have a lot of money. How did you know?” he sneered. “You really think you know me, don’t you?” he asked. “Yes Nick, I do. I think you’re shallow, rude, selfish and immature.” He smirked at me. “I guess you got me all figured out.” He replied.

I am starting to get annoyed for three reasons. 1) He is acting way to smug. 2) I’m really afraid that I'm going to get fired. 3) He keeps talking and I really have to pee.

“What the hell does that mean?” I asked, my voice starting to rise again.

He sat down on the sofa facing my desk. “It’s just that your acting all holier-than-thou while your accusing someone who you barely know of being something you know nothing about. But you know what I think. I think you’re just a confused little girl trying to pretend to be someone your not; trying to prove something.”

I had to bite my lip. I could feel my eyes starting to prick. God damnit, why am I letting him get to me? I sat back down in my swivel, then looked up at him. “And maybe I am Nick.” I said softly through a clenched mouth. “Maybe I am trying to prove something to somebody. And don’t fucking flatter yourself you stuck-up asshole. It’s not you.” “Then, who?” he replied, rolling his eyes.

“Do you know what it’s like to grow up with a mother who puts down every single thing that you do? Every accomplishment that is important to you, she sneers at because ‘You could’ve done better’. Every time you speak to her, she brings out your faults. Try to do something nice for her, and she picks at it until you wish you would’ve just hadn’t tried at all? That’s what it was like growing up with my mother. And when I graduated with fucking honors from my college, she asked me.... “Why couldn’t you be first? Why couldn’t you place higher? You were sleeping around, weren’t you?’ ” My speaking began to slow, and I looked Nick in the eye. “On my graduation night, while all our friends were out partying, Sara stayed home so I wouldn’t be alone crying myself to sleep. I worked my ass off to show her I can make something of myself, and that’s how she responded to it. And then, I finally say to myself, ‘Fuck her, let me do something for me.’ So I get this job, and then it’s like I’m going through the same thing again. And this time it’s worse because it’s not my mother putting me down, it’s my fucking boss.” I spat. He opened his mouth to say something, but I went on. “I mean, is the whole damn world against me?” I asked.

I finally finished my speech, amazed at myself. I had NEVER told ANYONE that, except for Sara, who obviously knew. I felt vulnerable and exposed, and more than anything, I wanted him to leave. “So, I’m sorry if I clash with your perfect world, Mr. Carter. So if you will excuse me, I have some work to finish.” I took in a deep breath, and turned my attention away from him.

“You think I have the perfect life, eh?” He questioned me, walking over to stand in front of my desk. “Yeah, your mom sucks, and what she did to you sucks. But guess what, everybody has their own fucked up life and demons they have to deal with.”

Now I was really pissed. I just basically spilled my soul to him, and he was telling me to get over it? “And what are your demons, Nick? Can’t afford the newest edition Bentley so you have to wait till next year? Well, excuse me while I go cry you a fucking river.” I snapped. “My mom steals from me.” Nick replied, both his hands on the edge of my desk. “I work my ass off. She doesn't have a job. She goes into my bank account and takes money from me. Alright? So yeah, you’re not the only one with mommy issues.” I looked up at him, straight in the eye. “At least your mom acknowledges you’ve made something of yourself.” I replied. We continued to stare at each other for a couple of moments, until I spoke up again. “But since this isn’t a ‘Who’s family is more fucked up’ contest, I think we should both stop while were ahead.”

He opened his mouth, but I spoke before him. “Nick, honestly, I think we’ve both said everything we needed to say.” “So you’re just going to leave it like this?” he asked, obviously not finished with this conversation. “I don’t really feel the need to continue any further. We’ve both spoken our minds, we know where the other stands, and that’s that. I’m an employee, you’re a boss, and we’ve already talked too much about our personal lives. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some work I need to finish and some dry cleaning to be pick up.” I said, standing up and walking quickly out of the room.

I closed the door behind me and leaned against it for a moment, not believing what just happened in a span of twenty minutes.

It is going to be VERY uncomfortable working around him for a while.