- Text Size +
CHAPTER 1



Shaira drew a deep breath as she opened the cover of the skillet after five minutes. She tested the tenderness of the rolled turkey cutlets with a fork and found it just right. They’re now ready for preparation. The head chef peered over her shoulder.

“Is everything alright, Shaira?”

“Yes, Dan.” Shaira smiled at the chef. She removed the skillet from the fire as Dan prepared two dinner plates on the work area. Shaira carefully arranged the rolled cutlets, seam-side down, on it. After a while, Dan poured the sauce over it. Cris, the dining supervisor, entered the kitchen and placed the finished plates on the tray.

“Wish me luck,” Cris winked at them and then made her way out into the formal dining area. Dan and Shaira looked through the round glass mirror to watch their hard-worked masterpiece being served to the President of the United States and to the owner of the hotel where the restaurant is. The president makes the first taste as soon as Cris presented it. They held their breath as they watched him chew his food, savor the taste and slowly smiled. He said something to the older man across the table from him and then to Cris, who later makes her way back to the kitchen.

“What did he say?” Shaira anxiously asked her. Cris is grinning widely.

“He asked me the name of the dish and he wanted to meet you.” Cris replied excitedly.

“Oh my God!” Shaira consciously arranged her hair as Cris took the apron from her. “Do I look fine? Smell me! Do I smell like an onion?”

Dan laughed. “You still looked great, Shaira.” He holds her hand. “Come on. Let’s make your grandfather proud.” Shaira didn’t get a chance as Dan already pulled her out from the kitchen. Her knees wobbled as she saw her grandfather sitting across the table from the president. She couldn’t discern the look from her grandfather. She was never close to him. She tries everything to be close to him but he’s always stern. Lucas Chrysler is a cold man.

“Mr. President, I’d like to present to you my competent team in the kitchen.” Lucas started as soon as the three of them got near. “Dan Reynolds is our head chef and beside him is Shaira Richardson, the assistant chef. Cris Asutilla is our dining supervisor.”

President Bush gives a handshake to each one of them. “I’m impressed and very much delighted to finally meet you and tasted your expertise. As you may well know, I heard a lot about your dynamic team and I took the opportunity to have the experience while I’m here in New York.”

“Thank you, Sir. It’s been a great privilege to cook for you tonight.” Dan said. Shaira remain silent at his side.

“You’re welcome,” the president turned to Shaira. “I’m very impressed that your granddaughter is one of the chefs, Lucas. She’s quite a remarkable woman.” Shaira smiled and slightly bowed her head in reply.

“Shaira wanted to serve our clients on a firsthand basis rather than be in the office to handle our corporate affairs.” Lucas replied. “She’s fit to work there anyway. She graduated in a prestigious culinary school and took the interest of cooking from her mother. I only let my grandchildren to do whatever things that interest them.”

And Lucas never showed he cared. Shaira looked at her grandfather. He’s been indifferent ever since she and her brother arrived in New York to live with him. As a child who just met her grandparents for the first time, she tried to make a good impression. But he never showed emotions to her, even if other people are praising her in front of him. “Grandpa is right, Mr. President. Thank you and it’s been a great pleasure to serve you today. If you’ll be back in New York, you’re always welcome in our restaurant.” She spoke. Her grandfather only gave her a nod.

Everyone thought how lucky she is to be one of Lucas Chrysler’s grandchildren. Little they knew how hard it was to be a granddaughter to a coldhearted man such as him.



~~~



Nick stopped on his tracks and took shots of the continued line of the Great Wall. He smiled for the nth time. He sighed and still feels overwhelmed by the experience of finally seeing one of the wonders of the world. As a travel journalist and a professional photographer, he had the opportunity to go around, discover places and culture and meet new people.

“Speechless again, Mr. Carter?” Cixi asked her companion. Nick’s tourist guide walked back and gazed at the horizon, looking out at the long stretch of the Great Wall ahead of them.

“It’s amazing how thousands of forced laborers have built this barrier against their northern enemies and made this strategic landmark turn into an ancient wonder.” Nick remarked. He leaned against the hard wall and browsed his digital camera.

Cixi nodded. “Yes, it’s really amazing.” She saw the pictures. “How long have you been doing this?”

Nick looked at her. “This?” He shrugged and turned once again to the widespread of green mountains ahead of them. “I’ve been into this for I think, eight years. But professionally, I’ve started six years ago when I finished my studies. But before that, I was a street kid. Do you follow me?” Nick grinned. When Cixi nodded, he continued. “I grew up in a government shelter and dreamed of making it through poverty. I’m an orphan and never knew any relatives but it doesn’t stop me from dreaming. I started working in multiple jobs. I save and I save. Back then, I met a man who became my best friend and influenced me in his interest with photography. Brian is some rich kid I met in one of my jobs. He helped me through this and I owed him a lot for that. I studied photography in a period of time and got the opportunity of different sorts.”

“Very inspiring story of hard work and perseverance.” Cixi smiled.

Nick scratched his head. “Yeah, probably.” He shrugged. “I love telling about it. It inspires me to remember where I came from. I mean, I tried all my best. I now have a place I can call my home, food for my stomach and something for my savings. I don’t go after any other material things in the world. I’m just happy with what simple things I have. Simple joys, simple pleasures.”

“And where’s your friend Brian?” Cixi asked as they returned to walking and Nick began taking a good angle for his pictures.

“He’s married and now lives in Atlanta. He’s a good family man now.”

“How about you? With that looks, I’m sure you already got a special someone.”

Nick drew a deep breath, remembering a former love. “No, there’s none.” He puts his arms on Cixi’s shoulders. “So, do you want to go out with me tonight?”

“Sure. I’ll take my boyfriend along.” Cixi winked.

Nick grinned. “Yeah, I forgot about that. Anyway, your boyfriend is a nice guy. When I met him last night, he even offered me a job in his company. Are you looking out for the future?”

“Maybe.” Cixi smiled knowingly.

Nick smiled and nodded. He didn’t notice a stone block rose unevenly and he tripped. “Ow!” He tried saving his camera and fell down badly on the stone floor.

“Nick!” Cixi was caught by surprise with his unexpected fall. Nick winced in pain as she examined his ankle. “This is not good. You might have twisted your ankle or something. Let me help you go back.”

Nick groaned as Cixi supported his weight. That’s bad news, he thought as he looked from where they came from. They’ve gone too far and it’s going to be pure torture to go back.