- Text Size +
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Shaira decided to go with Nick to Australia for his work, after she quit her job. Perhaps she had nothing to do, that's why she made such decision. While packing her things, Nick tried seducing her and they ended up in the bed together. Later, someone is planning something to the couple.







CHAPTER 10






Shaira turned when she heard Nick coughing consistently. She saw him walking towards the bathroom, sniffling and then sneezing. They didn't talk much to each other since they arrived in Sydney. Nick went to maritime museum to cover an article about the special relationships that Australians have with the sea and with boats of all kinds. Shaira didn't go with him. When he returned this afternoon, he was all soaked up from the mild shower outside. And now, he's coughing and sneezing like he's coming down to flu.



Shaira decided to approach him. "I'm going to prepare you some honey with lime. It'll make you feel better." She said.



"I'm fine." Nick stubbornly replied but Shaira ignored it. She went to out to go to a nearby convenience store near the hotel to find what she needs. Half an hour later, she found Nick already asleep on the bed. She quietly sits beside his sleeping form and softly nudges him.



Nick opened his eyes. "Believe me, you have to drink this. I also bought some medicines which you can take later after dinner." Shaira told him. Nick didn't say anything but only drinks the honey with lime. When he's done, he muttered his thanks and went back to lie back on the bed again. Shaira wanted to stay a little longer to watch over him, wanting to take care of him. But she decided then to stand up and leave him alone.



Over an hour later, she ordered room service. As the food arrived, she prepared the one for Nick. She decided to feed him. While she was busy on it, she heard a loud groan coming from Nick's room. She immediately went to him and found he got a high fever. "Nick…" She bit her lower lip as she gets a clean small towel in the bathroom and soaked it in slightly hot water coming from the faucet.



"You don't have to do this, Shaira." Nick weakly said as she wipes his face and neck with the towel and then placed it on his forehead. "I can manage on my own."



"I'm your wife now, Nick." And I want to take care of you, she silently added.



"I'm not obliging you to do this." Nick closed his eyes. Shaira decided to take off his shirt because he's already full of sweat. Nick didn't argue anymore as she wipes him dry with another towel and changed him into a clean and dry shirt. When she's done, she fed him food and had him take his medicines. Nick's fever gets high and he's too weak to even move about. Shaira thoughtfully tucked him under the covers and sits beside him. "Stay with me, please…" Nick tried to say. He coughed again.



"Next time, don't come out in the rain. You know how easy you could get sick when you got drenched by the rain." Shaira said as she softly ran her hands on his forehead and through his hair. Her husband only nodded, his eyes were closed. He nuzzled closer to her body for warmth and sooner then, he fell asleep. Knowing that he's already sleeping, Shaira takes the moment to bent down and kiss Nick on the forehead. Oh, God, she really loves this man. She moved herself to lie beside him and cradled him in her arms where he could sleep further.



~~~



Nick woke up, feeling lighter than he was last night. He sighed. He drew himself closer to the covers and found himself lying in Shaira's arms. He smiled. Shaira took care of him last night even though he tried to be stubborn about it. And here she is, sleeping very soundly while her arms were around him.



He takes a look at his beautiful wife for a moment. He missed Shaira and their times together. He missed moments like this when she'd stay to take care of him. Most of all, he missed her love.







~~~





Shaira tucked a hair strand behind her ear as she walked alongside with Nick down the street. After two days since he got sick, Nick told her to get ready for dinner. His fever was gone and he's ready to continue with his work. But now, he invited her out for a dinner. They just walked down the street and she wondered where he is taking her. He seemed to know the place though. He reached out for her hand and held it tight.



"We're almost there." Nick said. He gripped her hand tighter as they crossed the street, making sure that she's on the safe side. Shaira saw a posh restaurant ahead and glanced at Nick. His look is way ahead and sure of what he is doing. "The last time I was here was when right after we broke up." He told her.



"And?"



"I was so down and out that I tried almost every place to eat and this is the best one I had so far." Nick stopped in front of a dining place, just beside the posh restaurant. It appears to be serving Italian food, which is Shaira's favorite. The place doesn't look like they were serving expensive dishes like those at the posh restaurant beside it. Shaira wasn't surprised. Having limited resources, Nick never spent a lot in dining when he can find am alternative place to eat in a cheaper price.



"Oh…" Her heart skipped a beat. Maybe, there was hope between them at all, or maybe none at all. She should stop expecting for something. She followed him as they went inside. They sat on a corner table where a waiter immediately approached them to take their orders. Nick recited out Shaira's favorite pasta recipes for both of them and the waiter went off when he's done. "I can't believe this. You still knew my favorite food." She told him.



"Never forget it..." Nick leaned back on his chair and stared at her. "You know, I've been thinking. Let's give this marriage a chance."



"What makes you say that?"



Nick shrugged. "You told me about the investor who wanted to marry you but Kevin told him that you're already married although you're not. And the reason for this marriage is to appear that you're really married, which is you really are now." Nick sighed. "Shaira, we just can't be in this arrangement on a temporary basis because this is not a game either. So what I've been trying to say is that we have to make this work out. And I also wanted to have kids."



"Are you sure?" Gosh, her guilt grows more. Nick is serious of what he has gotten into now.



"Yes." Nick never takes off his look on her. "How about you? When I said yes to this, I'm sure that I know what I'm going into. What about you?"



"This is really not a game." Shaira agreed. "But honestly, I can't continue living like this when things are not settled between us. We made a lot of mistakes and I don't know where to start making up for those, Nick."



"Romina came into my hotel room that night when I was too drunk to even realize what was going on, Shaira." Nick quietly said so that only the two of them can hear. "I just had a few drinks and I don't know why I got drunk that much. Somebody must have drugged me or something. I was looking for you and I saw you dancing with Romina's boyfriend, which got me really mad. I tried to come over but there were these big men who blocked my way. I knew I passed out by then because the next thing I remember was seeing Romina sleeping beside me in the room and you're standing by the door." Nick said. "I tried to put the puzzle together and realize that it must have been all part of a plan. I'm so sorry, Shaira."



Shaira blinked many times to keep the tears from falling. "Romina's boyfriend is the one who pulled me to the dance floor. I was looking for you too but he won't let me go. He was running his hands all over me and I really wanted to go. But the club was so full of people, I can't get through easily and I was dazed too. My mind is spinning. I tried to force myself to go away but when I did, I found you gone from where I left you." She sniffed.



"I felt really betrayed when I saw my cousin and my boyfriend on the same bed." She continued. "I couldn't accept any reason from you although I know that it's not really your fault and Romina just did all of these to stir me up. She did everything to make me miserable. She did everything to ruin me, even my relationship with you. And at that time, grandpa wouldn't approve of you being my boyfriend and I wanted so much as to gain his affection. I chose him over you."



Nick went to sit beside her and pulled her close to him. "It hurts when you can't even fight for both of us but I understand, Shaira. But I was really mad by what you did."



"I'm sorry, Nick." She buried her head on his shoulders.



"It's all in the past. God knows how I missed you so much, Shaira. I'm sorry, too." Nick bents down to kiss her lips. "We're now married and that's all that matters. I won't let your grandfather get his way between us again." He added as they sat in silence, against each other's arms for a while. "You're not going to work in his company and I'm going to take you away from him. I'll take care of you and you will be free to do whatever you want, away from his control. I love you, Shaira. You are mine and no one is going to harm you or take you away from me."



Nick wiped her tears and kissed her fully on the lips. "I love you, too, Nick. Let's start something new." Shaira said as she was wrapped in his embrace. They went silent for a while again, savoring the feeling of being back to each other's arms.



"We will. I promise, Shaira."



"Let's forget the past."



"We will." Nick said. Shaira was about to tell the truth about blackmailing him to make him agree into marrying her but the waiter arrived with their food.



"Excuse me, lovebirds. Here comes your food." The waiter winked at them as he sets out their orders.



Nick smiled down at her. "I told you, you'll like this place. Now, let's celebrate."