- Text Size +
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick and Shaira talked about their relationship and finally settled their differences. What will happen after this?





CHAPTER 11








"Did you know what I've been thinking?" Nick asked as Shaira nuzzled against his neck. They were sitting closely together as the boat they were riding sped its way towards the Great Barrier Reef for Nick's job. The beautiful scenery of the ocean calms them and they found time to cuddle against each other before Nick starts his work.



"What?" Shaira sleepily asked. After their dinner on the previous night, they went back to the hotel and made love until they were very much sated. They woke up very early today for the long hour travel and the trip to the reef.



"I want to settle down in a place near the ocean. I want to put up a big house and a nice beach backyard where our children can go and play." Nick whispered to her ear. "Now that we're married, I'm going to save some money and make something out of that plans." He smiled down at her.



"Sounds good to me, Nick." Shaira return the smile. Nick pulled her closer to him. A few moments later, one of the crew, who called himself Oliver, approached them. He glanced at Shaira with a smile. She doesn't like that smile and unfortunately, Nick didn't see it. It seems as if he's stripping her naked with his look. She turned away immediately.



"We're approaching the diving area, sir." Oliver said. "Get ready with the suits."



"Thanks." Nick smiled and turned to leave Shaira as he went to his colleague who came along with them. Shaira gets herself ready with her wet suit as well because she's coming along with Nick under the water. Minutes later, the boat stopped and Oliver announced their arrival. Jillian, an expert diver in the team, reviewed some important instructions to them. Nick listened as he readies his underwater camera. Shaira saw how dedicated her husband to his field, just like her passion to her cooking. When the overview of the project and the briefing were done, Nick bents down to kiss Shaira on the lips. "I love you always, baby."



"I love you, too."



"Come on," Nick winked at her before he wears his diving mask. He assisted her in going in to the water with him. Shaira felt him letting go of her as he swam lower towards the reefs. She swims down after him. She began to marvel the beauty of the coral reefs and the attractive scenery of different kinds of fishes. She saw Nick swim in front of her and saw the smile beneath the mask. She thanked God for the turnout of events. She found another reason to appreciate life now that she has Nick again. She found another reason to look forward to, of the things she wanted to do with Nick. She now shared her life with him and to the family they are planning to build together.



Suddenly, she felt as if the water pushed her hard. She saw the school of fish scrambled everywhere. Her heart beats faster for no apparent reason. She paused and looked around. Something happened underwater. She didn't saw Nick or even his companion who assists him in taking photographs. Nick? She started to swim but there were arms that stopped her and her mask was suddenly moved out of place.





~~~





She could feel her head ached so badly, she groaned. She opened her eyes as she choked out some seawater from her mouth. Jillian was there and worry crossed her face. "Where's Nick? Where's Nick?" She sat up and looked around. She recognized the crew but only quite a few of them were there. The other divers, including Oliver, were not there too. "Where?" Tears fell down as emptiness filled her. "Where's my husband?"



"The other divers were still looking for him and Oliver, Shaira. They just disappeared and we couldn't find them."



"What happened?" She leaned over to the side of the boat as if she could see Nick right through the water.



"There was a minor earthquake, Shaira. The current had us out of control and I saw you swimming nearby so I grabbed you to safety. We did a head count and Nick and Oliver weren't here. I'm sorry, Shaira." Jillian is now ready again with his diving suits. "I'll follow shortly to look for your husband. Stay here at the boat and Hans will look after you."



Shaira shakes her head. "No, I'm coming with you." She stood up. "I'm not just going to wait here and wait for my husband to pop up."



"But Shaira…" Hans tried to stop her but she pulled away from him.



"I'm going to look for Nick, even if I die there." Shaira firmly said and jumped off the boat when she got her equipment ready. The coldness of the sea welcomed her as she swims below. There's no sign of her husband and she grew more desperate. She swam further. She saw Jillian's suit swimming nearby, obviously looking after her at the same time that he's looking for Nick and Oliver.



It must have been a looking time that she's looking for Nick but he's still nowhere in sight. She even met the other divers who were also looking out for them. Knowing that he's still missing, Shaira felt herself grew weak. Jillian, who's been looking after her, swam towards her and decided to pull her back up and in to the boat. Shaira didn't resist this time. Her face was in tears as soon as she removed the mask. She slowly sits down on the steel floor and cried. "Nick…"



~~~





Kevin and Kristin walked hand in hand as they hurried down the hall towards the room where Shaira is staying at the hotel. They heard the news of what happened and immediately flew to Sydney to see Shaira. After three days of search, Nick and a companion is still nowhere to be found. Shaira refused to go home unless she had Nick with her.



The hotel's general manager ushered them to Shaira's room and opened the door for them. They didn't saw anyone inside and began to wonder where Shaira is. "Shaira…" Kevin called and walked around the suite. Kristin and the manager followed behind him. "Shaira!" They saw her sitting on a corner in the bathroom, her head buried deep on a bunch of towels.



"Shaira, we are here." Kristin cried as she went to hug her sister-in-law.



Shaira looked up, showing them her tear-stricken face. "Have you found him?"



"We're trying our best." Kevin said and turned to the manager. "Thank you, Ms. Kendall, for your caring assistance. We really appreciate it." He shook hands with her.



"I pray that your sister's husband will soon be found. If you need any more help, kindly call any of our staff and they are going to be of service. Excuse me, Sir." Ms. Kendall politely left the room.



Shaira is crying on Kristin's shoulders. "Have you found him?" she kept on asking them. "Where's Nick?"



Kevin knelt down beside his wife and his sister. "Shay, this is Kevin. We haven't found them yet but we're looking for him. You have to go back to New York now where you can wait."



"I won't leave until Nick is found, okay? Even if it takes weeks or months, I'll never leave. I'll go back to the reefs to find my husband." Shaira insisted. "He just can't be gone. He's a strong man. We just made amends and agreed to start anew. We have plans of starting our family together, Kevin. He just can't be gone." Shaira cried. Kristin looked helplessly to her husband. Their little sister is on her way of breaking down into pieces in search for her missing husband. Where's Nick? What happened to him?