- Text Size +
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Just when things are going to be smooth between Nick and Shaira, an accident occurred and Nick is now missing. Where could he be? What happened to him? How will Shaira going to take this?





CHAPTER 12




Frances followed Kristin as they reached the floor where Shaira is staying at. It's been almost two months and still, Nick hasn't been found. The rescue team ended their search and he was declared dead but Shaira won't accept it.



Kristin decided to stay in Sydney to look after her sister-in-law while Kevin goes back and forth from New York in between his job and his family. Kristin is already on her second month of pregnancy and it wasn't good for her to be stressed out as well. The couple decided to contact Frances, Shaira's best friend who lives in California, for a period of time to help watch over her friend. Without hesitation, Frances flew in to Sydney.



They saw two men stopping in front of Shaira's door and just about to knock. "Who are you?" Kristin demanded. They are now more than worried about Shaira's condition and they don't want further complications that might lead to the worst-case scenario.



"I'm Corey, Nick's boss in the magazine. And this is Brian, his best friend. We flew in to see Shaira." The man who called himself Corey said. He shook hands with them. He gave Kristin his calling card when he saw the hesitation on the woman's face.



The other man, the blonde one, whose name is Brian, introduced himself to the two women as well. "It took us along time to find her because her location was kept confidential. We understand but we also wanted to help finding Nick. I don't believe that he could be dead. Nick is a survivor."



Kristin read the business card, looked at the two then admitted them inside the room. "I'm Kristin, her sister-in-law, and this is Frances, her best friend. Before I take you to her, please refrain from saying anything worst about the accident. The doctors gave us a warning that this might result to a serious nervous breakdown any moment from now. We can't leave her alone so I asked a friend to look after her while I'm gone for a while because she already has a suicidal tendency."



Frances gasped. "Oh my God. That bad?"



Kristin nodded. "She told us that before they went to the reefs, she and Nick talked about their past and patched things up. Obviously, the two got back together and settled their differences and their marriage was about to get strong. So you can just imagine how hard this is for Shaira." Her voice quivered and gets her handkerchief to wipe her tears. "This is really hard for all of us."



Frances hugged her. "I want to see my friend."



Kristin nodded and muttered her thanks to them. She led the way towards the next room of the suite and found Shaira quietly sleeping on the couch. Her friend, a nurse in a nearby hospital, greeted them. "This is Pia, my friend nurse. How is she?"



"I have to sedate her earlier, Kris, because she's gone out of control again." Pia said after introductions were made.



Frances walked over Shaira and saw that she's clutching tightly on Nick's photograph. "She loves Nick very much. This is really sad."



"Does the other missing man with him was already found?" Corey asked Kristin.



She shakes her head. "Oliver Chambers was still missing as well." She watched as Brian weakly sits on a chair, clasping his head between his hands. Corey sighed as his face was full of worry. Frances, on the other hand, is softly running her hand on her friend's long brown hair.



They looked at each other for a while. The tragedy devastated all of them, but most of all, it shattered Shaira's hopes of a new beginning. She couldn't find her husband and it's making her crazy not knowing what has happened to Nick.





~~~





Kevin was left behind after a meeting with a new photographer they took in exchange for Nick. Since he's gone missing, they have to find another one because, as much as they would want to wait for Nick, the project cannot afford any delay. It is distressing to have him gone and not knowing where he is, if he is still alive or not anymore. Kevin wished for the former, for Shaira's sake. His sister is now difficult to talk with. She's quiet and crying most of the time, and he often caught her talking to herself whenever he dropped by for a visit.



"Any news?"



Kevin looked up and saw that Marc returned. He closed the door behind him and sits on a chair near his cousin's. Kevin shakes his head. "Shaira is losing her mind, Marc." His voice trembled as he replies. "It hurts me to see her like that."



"Did you try consulting her to a psychiatrist?"



Kevin nodded. "Losing Nick was like losing a part of her life, Marc. She loved Nick that much."



Marc stared at his cousin. "And Shaira's life is part of ours, too, Kev. It devastates me to hear her being like this." His jaws clenched. "If only grandpa didn't interfere on them before, Shaira must have had experienced more days being happy with Nick. She deserves more than much."



"Or maybe it was willed to happen this way." Kevin quietly said. "I want to take her home but she wanted to remain in Sydney until Nick is back. So, Kristin and I decided to look out for a house to stay because she can't live in a hotel room forever. She's going to live with Shaira. The doctors advised her not to stress out much because her pregnancy is in danger. We can't afford the risk too, Marc. We both longed for that baby."



"I'd like to help. I know a friend who can offer you a nice house to stay." Marc offered. "I'll give him a call and probably before this week ends, Kristin and Shaira can move there."



"Thanks, Marc. I appreciate your help." Kevin was touched. Marc is always the good cousin.



"Hey, we're cousins. We're family." Marc smiled.