- Text Size +
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Everyone thought that Shaira is going to lose her mind over the tragedy that she had, where Nick is still missing. She decided to go back to New York to start her life again even though it hurts and it's going to be a struggle to live knowing that Nick isn't around anymore.

Meanwhile, Errol Henstridge, the businessman in Shaira's grandfather's company, is taking care of a man he found as his twin brother - in which coincidentally he saved from an accident at sea, and named as Nick. How are they going to play a part in the story?




CHAPTER 14






Nick looked out at the crowd when he and Errol arrived at the airport. His brother told him that Daphne is coming to pick them up. He instinctively looked out for a brown-haired woman. There are so many of them but no one matched the one he had in his mind.



"D-did she call…you that s-she's already h-here?" He asked Errol.



Errol nodded. He scanned the crowd and waved to someone. "She's here." He said as he pushed Nick's wheelchair towards a woman – with long blonde hair. Nick glanced at Errol, giving him a confused look. He knows what Daphne looks like and this woman is certainly not Daphne. The one he could remember has long brown hair, a dazzling wide smile and a beautiful face. This one is certainly beautiful but not that appealing to him. He is not his Daphne but he won't delve on the details right now. He is tired and he wanted to rest.



"Hi, Nick." The woman greeted and leaned down to kiss Nick on the lips. He politely responded but only for a while. "It's Daphne." Nick gave her a wondering look and so, she turned to Errol in question.



"I already told you his condition, Daphne. It's possible that he doesn't remember you."



Daphne turned to her. "I'll make you remember, Nick. Right now, we have to get you home." She takes the wheelchair from Errol and pushed it outside and towards the parking lot. "I was so worried of what has happened to you, Nick. I couldn't imagine or even think that I'm going to lose you."



Nick just listened although still confused. His mind is still screaming that this woman behind him is not his Daphne. He can never mistake the woman with the brown tresses and wonderful smile in his mind.



"Are you okay, Nick?" Errol asked him. "You seemed quiet."



"T-there's nothing t-to say. I…I just want t-to go h-home." A lump formed in his throat as he said that. Home. He somehow remembered telling Daphne that he wanted to build their home near the ocean. His head ached. Ouch…why can't he remember anything in the present? Who is the woman with the brown hair?



~~~





Shaira rolled her eyes. She felt the stares of the people around her. She turned to Kevin and Kristin, Frances and the two men – Brian and Corey, Nick's friends. "I'm not insane, alright. Maybe, I just need the time to mourn for my loss. You knew how hard it was for me. But I'm alright now. Going back here in New York will give me the chance to start again. As hard as it would seem to be, I'll try to live the way I used to be even though Nick's gone." She blinked back the tears that threatened to fall again.



"We're sorry, Shay," Kevin said. He glanced at the others then back to his sister. "We're glad that you're back. And always remember that we're here for you."



"We felt your loss, too, and you're right that we have to move on." Brian said, although in his mind, he knew that Nick was never gone. He is still in denial over what fate has brought to his best friend.



"Shaira, I was wondering…" Frances stood up and sat beside her best friend, "maybe you can come with me to LA. You can live there with me." Shaira looked at her. "It's just a suggestion. Anyway, I think I'll need some help with my boutique. I just broke up with my boyfriend and I need you, too."



"Maybe you need a new environment, Shaira. I agree with Frances' suggestion." Kristin said.



Shaira can feel their concern and she's grateful that they were there for her. That's a good suggestion from Frances and Kristin is right. She needs to be in a place where she could feel less of Nick and the painful memories of loss. Actually, being back in New York is suffocating. The busy buzz of the city and the memories itself. If she'll stay longer here, she might really go insane.