- Text Size +
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Although confused at the woman that Errol introduced as Daphne, Nick didn't say anything about it. His mind is thinking about a woman with the brown hair and he's certain that that is Daphne.
Meanwhile, SHaira decided to be in a new environment whereas she will go to California to stay with her best friend, Frances.




CHAPTER 15






Nick followed Daphne's movements with a look, trying to think of anything to remember about her but he really had no idea. He watched as Daphne talked with Errol like they really knew each other very well. She would laugh to anything Errol would say and vice versa.



"They were childhood friends," Mrs. Bette said, interrupting Nick's thoughts. Mrs. Bette is the chief housekeeper and from what Errol had said, has been in the family for a long time.



From the balcony where they are, they saw Errol and Daphne talking in a gazebo. "I-I thought s-so, too." Nick quietly replied. He cringed when he felt his aching head again.



"Are you alright?" The elder woman placed a glass of juice on the side table. "Where does it hurt? Don't you really remember anything?"



"I…I'm fine, just a-another shot of…headache. I-I usually f-feel this…and I-I'm used t-to it. A-all I want now is t-to get back my…memory. I-I can f-feel…that something is n-not…right." Nick slowly replied. He thanked Mrs. Bette for the juice. "D-did you know a-any woman with…brown hair…I w-was with before the a-accident?"



Mrs. Bette shakes her head. "Maybe you should ask your twin about it. Do you recall any one with that description?"



Nick looked at the housekeeper, then to where Errol and Daphne are. "Yes."



They grew silent for a long while before Mrs. Bette turned towards where the gazebo is. And then quietly, she excused herself from him. Nick didn't say anything as the housekeeper discreetly walks away. She didn't say anything to him but he figured that she had something she couldn't say to Nick. There's something wrong in this picture and he couldn't fathom what. He needs to be observant. It seems like his twin brother is hiding something from him.





~~~





"Probably by next week, I can start briefing you on the proceedings of the company." Errol announced to his brother when they were alone in his office after an early dinner. Nick stopped reading a magazine and looked at his twin.



"B-briefing? W-what is it…all a-about?"



Errol smiled at his twin. "Nick, I've looked for you in a long time and now that you're here, I had plans of sharing my blessings with you. You'll be part of the company I owned, we'll be managing partners. I'll teach you and make you familiar with it. You'll never live the way you used to be." Nick watched as Errol pulled the drawer in his desk and took a picture from it. He showed it to him and Nick was surprised to see who it was. It's the woman he thought of as Daphne.



"W-who is she?"



"Her name is Shaira Richardson. She's the granddaughter of the man who ruined my grandfather's company before, Lucas Richardson. He had once taken over the management of grandpa's company, bringing it down to give way to his own plans of opening up his own business. When it went bankrupt in 1972, Lucas left it with nothing but debts and took away some money from it too. He also began his hotel business which boomed in the late 70s. Grandpa's family, who's gone impoverished for a long period of time, faced court battles and numerous debts. Lucas got away with it. He was never accused of anything as there were no evidences found to blame him for what happened." Errol's jaw clenched. "Now that the company was back on its track, I intend to take Lucas' company down. That woman is the key to his downfall."



"W-what does…she has t-to do w-with…her grandfather's s-sin?"



"You can't remember, Nick, but I'll refresh your mind. Shaira was head over heels in love with you and she tried seducing you once, ruining your first engagement with Daphne. You were so mad at her that you gave in to her seductions and married her. It only lasted for a while but when you left her, you made sure that you had the majority rights over her grandfather's company. You didn't walk away with nothing. She was so mad that she kidnapped you and took you to Sydney and that's where the accident at the boat happened. They thought you're gone but of course, as smart as you are, your rights have been transferred to me as your only living relative left." Errol chuckled.



"S-she tried to r-ruin my engagement w-with Daphne? H-how could she be so…desperate?" Nick frowned. "S-she's a b-beautiful woman. She can h-have any…one she w-wants."



"Yes, she is. You were not immune to that charm but you knew better, Nick. She's manipulative and cruel just like her grandfather. The innocence on her face is just a mask to what a bitch she really is."



Nick shakes his head. "I'd like to see…t-the expression on her face w-when she learns t-that I'm alive." He looks at the picture again. "It's g-going to be one hell of a p-payback." Nick looked at his twin with a grin. So this is why that woman's face is filling up his mind. She has a lot to do with what happened to him now. It was hard for him to be on therapy everyday and not be able to speak for a period of time. It was all Shaira's fault. She almost ruined his life. Now, she has to pay for what she's done.