- Text Size +
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick decided to call off the wedding with Daphne for the meanwhile because he wanted to finish dealing with Shaira first. Errol learned that Shaira is in LA and he's looking forward to tell Nick on his wife's whereabouts.





CHAPTER 17








"Finally, I met you."



Nick looked up and saw an old man walking his way towards him. He stood up as he gives the man and questioning look. "Uh, I'm sorry but I didn't catch your name, Sir."



"I'm Harold, Errol's grandfather." The old man said and sat on a chair wearily. "I was told by our lawyers that Errol had successfully found his missing twin. I can say that there are some features that are similar but the rest," he looked at Nick from head to foot, "is different. Maybe that's why you're fraternal. The DNA tests confirmed your blood relations." He smiled at Nick. The man comfortably leaned back against the chair.



"I didn't know that I had a twin. I grew up with my parents being the only child. I didn't know that because they were too poor to take care of the two babies, they have given the other one away." Nick sits down on the opposite chair. "It was fortunate that he grew up under better circumstances."



"Errol grew up with my son, Gregory. You couldn't call it lucky when the man who adopted you always gave you a hard beating. I took Errol under my care when he was six and lived with me ever since. When I learned recently that he had a living brother, I told him to look for you." Harold said. "Believe me, Nick. We were very careful in finding his missing family. It took us years before we finally traced his family background and found out that he is half of a twin sibling. That's when we began looking for you." Nick didn't say anything. He looked at this young man with a heart-shaped face, apart from the hard, chiseled ones of Errol's. But he and Nick still have some facial similarities which can make others be reminded that they are related. "How do you do now? I heard you were on therapy based on what happened in the accident."



"I can only remember my younger past. I can't remember anything at the present." Nick replied.



"You don't remember who you are and what you do?" Harold asked incredulously. When Nick nodded, he sighed. "According from the reports I received from my lawyers, you are a travel journalist and a professional photographer."



"Did you know about Shaira Richardson?"



Harold nodded. "She's your wife. Are you going back to her?"



Nick frowned. "No, I don't think so."



"But you just married her, Nick. Did something happen in Sydney that made you leave her?"



"I'm still confused with what's happening between us. Time will come that I'll go and talk with her, but not now."



There was silence for a while until Harold spoke again. "Lucas opposed to the relationship that you had with his daughter because you were poor then."



"And he should be surprised to know what I am right now." Nick continued. "I'm not the poor man he thought that I am. I now hold the majority of his company's shares." He grinned. "With what he's done to me, he and his family are going down the drain, Sir. Errol and I will assure you on that."



"I don't understand." Harold frowned, giving Nick a confused look.



"You heard it right, grandpa." Both men turned when they heard Errol's voice. He just came in and heard their conversation. "Nick left Shaira but we assured you, we've got majority of the shares of the Chrysler in our hands. It will be soon enough that we'll have the entire company, leaving Lucas with nothing but his clothes on his back. Nick and I will take control of the company. He will settle the divorce with Shaira Richardson and marry Daphne. That's the way it is, grandpa. Shaira is the reason why Nick got into the accident in the first place."



"Why are you doing this, Errol?"



Errol looked at his grandfather. He frowned. He tossed his keys on the table and went to pour Scotch whisky on a glass with ice. "You know better than to interfere, grandpa. This is my time to get back to that Lucas and make him pay for what he's done to our family."



"Son, I bury the hatchet long time ago. Sure, it's been hard at that time but we managed to get back on the top and bring back all the wealth that we have." Harold said. He watched Errol paced around the spacious living room, after giving Nick his Scotch. He certainly had similar features like those of Nick's but the twins were completely different. Errol had a different way of thinking. His heart is filled with revenge for the things happened in his life. Nick, on the other hand, may have lived and grew up in poverty but he made that experience a lesson to live by. He seeks goodness among others and reached out to help whenever possible he can. Errol is taking advantage of Nick's amnesia and he's successful in making his twin believe him. There's no hint of tenderness, or goodness, in Nick's eyes. He can see an evil glint on it, just like the one in Errol's. Their combination is slightly alarming for Harold.



"I don't care, grandpa. Lucas will deserve what he will get." He smirked and then drinks his whisky. "It'll be too late for him to learn that Nick gets the majority of the company he had. I worked it hard for my brother, grandpa. It's ironic that the man Lucas disapproved for his granddaughter before now owned the company just like that." Errol snapped his fingers. "It will happen to him what he's done to you before and Nick deserved the riches. My brother lived hard in his life. He deserved to live in abundance."



"But not this way, Errol. This is not the right way." Harold said.



"Then what is the right way, Sir?" Nick asked. He stood up, meeting his twin halfway. They stood together and Harold can see that Errol changed him. He is now on his brother's side, agreeing with him on his plans against Lucas and his family. There's no hint of the Nick he seemed to know, according to the investigator's background reports about him.



"Nick, you married Shaira because you love her. In your right mind, you won't do this to her." Harold tried again. He watched as Nick turned to Errol in question but then looked back to him.



"I remember that I found her kissing and dancing with her cousin's boyfriend at a club in New York." Nick stated, surprising both men. Errol glanced at his brother. Nick grinned and nodded. "Were you surprised at my progress, brother? I was trying to remember anything about her and that's what I could remember right now. I'd never marry a woman who fools around, even with her cousin's boyfriend."



Errol grinned, patting his brother on his shoulders. "You're right about that, Nick. Her cousin, Romina, and Shaira aren't exactly in good terms because of Shaira's wild behavior."



"Errol, stop it!" Harold exclaimed. "Stop brainwashing Nick, right now."



Both men turned to him. Errol had this angry glare that he's never given his grandfather before. "I'm not brainwashing Nick. If you only knew," he turned to Nick, "Lucas had tried to kill you before because you had a relationship with Shaira. It was the same way he did with Shaira's parents but this time, he was never successful when it comes to you. He threatened your life, Nick. He is not a good man. He doesn't even care about Shaira, or her brother Kevin, but he doesn't want a poor man like you going around his granddaughter. He's a superficial person. He only wanted people who live the way he does, rich and famous, and not just some poor travel journalist who earns so little to even call a salary."



The room went silent after Errol said that. Nick shakes his head. He finished with his Scotch, placed in on the table and announced that he'll see Daphne. As he passed by Errol, he smiled. "I need the help of a lawyer, Errol, divorce lawyer."



"Sure thing," Errol replied, nodding in approval. "Oh and by the way, Shaira is here in LA. That will make things easier for you."