- Text Size +
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick finally met Harold, Errol's adoptive grandfather. He learned that Nick had amnesia and even witnessed how Errol tried to brainwash his brother to go against his wife and her family.




CHAPTER 18





Lucas sets his wine goblet down on his mahogany desk and stared at the pictures inside the album on top of his desk. The album contains a collection of photos of his grandchildren.



He had three children, two boys and a girl. His eldest son, Jared, died in a young age but left a bastard son under Lucas' care, Marc. Jared was a stubborn son who never wanted to be part of Lucas' business. He wanted to be an architect and make a name of his own. But fate had plans for him. He died in an accident and left his pregnant girlfriend the trust fund he received from his grandmother. But Lucas knew better than to trust some stranger with Jared's money. He paid the woman off in exchange for Jared's son. But Martha didn't want it and Lucas did what should be done. He staged Martha's accident and Marc lived with him ever since.



Then there was his only daughter, Laurice, who ran away when he opposed her choice of a husband. He hated what she did. He could never forgive her for eloping with that impoverished Richardson when he had plans of marrying her off to a business colleague who will strengthen his alliance with his business partners. She bore two children from that man and like Jared, her fate was sealed when she died in an accident together with her husband. They orphaned their two children of whom Johanna, Lucas' deceased wife, decided to get to live with them in New York. Ignoring Lucas' protest, Johanna succeeded in getting her grandchildren from Kentucky to live with them. She sent Kevin and Shaira to school and gave them what they deserved as part of the Chrysler family. But Lucas never reached out to love or even care for the two orphans. They were their mother's children and he can never accept them.



His youngest child, Trace, was the most obedient among his children. He married a woman offered by Lucas and they bore a daughter, Romina. He takes over the business when his siblings weren't there to work with it. Unfortunately, he had to die in a young age too. He was diagnosed with HIV positive and that's when Lucas found out that Trace was a homosexual. Romina was a child to another man by Trace's wife and only used the opportunity to be married to him just to give a name to her unborn baby. Lucas tried to protect that secret to avoid press scandal. And so, Romina doesn't have to know that she's not a real Chrysler. He also made Trace's widow swear up to her grave that she will never tell the truth of Romina's identity to her daughter and to anyone.



Lucas looked down at the photos as he flipped on the pages. No one in his family knows that he keeps something like this. No one in the family will know that as he looks through the memories of his family's childhood, he's also counting the remaining days he would had and recalling the things he's done and should be done.



~~~





"It's a god thing that I'm here in LA," Romina said as she entered Errol's study room. "I have an early flight tomorrow back to New York. What's up?" She walked towards him and bents down to kiss him fully on the lips.



Errol smiled as Romina edge herself closer to him. He could clearly see her cleavage which sends reaction to his senses. Her lavender scent stirs him more, wanting to have his way to her. But he had to do what he got to do before anything else. "I have a surprise for you, Romina." He softly trailed her face with his fingers. She's no Lyra but she can give him what he wants. Of course, he can never love anyone as much as he loved his Lyra.



"Great." Romina replied. She placed her hand on his lap near the middle of his thighs and Errol silently gasped.



"You're always a tease, Romina, but I want to get on with the business first." Errol takes her hand away from the danger.



"I came to you before knowing that you'd be able to help me get back to my lying grandfather. When I learn that I'm not his real granddaughter, I need to do something to get a hold of that company." Romina said. "I want all my cousins out of my way."



Errol chuckled. He shakes his head. "We will see to that, don't worry. I know, your first priority is Shaira. The ball in the game is still in my court, Romina. They have to deal with me first before anything else."



Romina raised an eyebrow. "Is that the surprise you're talking about?"



"Tell me where is Shaira first."



"All I know is that she's here in LA with her friend, Frances. Unfortunately, I don't know where they are staying right now." Romina replied. They both turned when the door opened and she gasped in surprise when she saw Nick.



"You need to know about it immediately," Errol quickly whispered and then smiled at Nick. "Do you remember her? Romina Chrysler, Shaira's cousin."



Nick frowned. "What is she doing here?" He asked. Errol returned the frown. Can he remember Romina now, to even react that way? Can he remember the real situation instead of the lies that he told him? "She's one of the enemies." Nick added.



Errol began to smile. "No, she's not. She's an ally."



"I'm not exactly in good terms with my cousin, Shaira." Romina filled in; taking the idea immediately that Nick didn't remember anything based on the look he's giving her. "She seduced my boyfriend even though she's already married to you. And believe me, Nick, she was never worried when you're gone. She even announced to me that she can take any lovers that she wanted now that she's a free woman."



Nick looked away, his frown deepened. "I'd like to see her anytime soon and get this thing over with her." In fact, I'd like to speak with her to deal with her own truth, Nick thought. Although Errol told him about what Shaira has done, a part of him had this longing to see her and to know the truth from her own words. He thought a lot about it and he doesn't want to jump into any decisions or emotions because he still couldn't remember everything. He's only appearing as if he agrees with Errol's plans of ruining Shaira's family but his mind is falling against it. It even adds up when Harold is trying to tell him otherwise what Errol has been telling him. It's confusing him. From the corner of his eye, he saw Errol and Romina exchanging glances. Something's going on between that two and he needs to get into the bottom of everything here.





~~~







Shaira browsed through the pages of a cookbook she found interesting in a bookstore. She's now in LA, living with Frances and helping her manage her boutique. She's taking things one at a time, trying to live amidst the loss. She missed Nick so much and it was like it wasn't worth living at all because he's gone.



Tears started again. Shaira quickly wiped it away and tried to focus on the cookbook she's holding. Ever since Nick was gone, she tried not to cook pasta because it only reminds her of their last times together. She closed the book. Actually, she lost her will to even lift a ladle to cook again. She doesn't have to browse for any cookbooks. She turned to leave but unfortunately bumped into someone. The person dropped her books and Shaira quickly helped her to pick them up.



"I'm sorry. I wasn't looking my way." Shaira said as she gives the book to a blonde woman. The woman looked at her and it was as if her eyes widened.



"Uh, it's alright." The woman said and quickly left. Shaira left wondering. She looked down and found one more book that was left by the woman. She immediately picked it up and rushed to follow the woman. "Excuse me, but you forgot one…" She stopped on her tracks when she saw the woman gets reunited with a man.



It was Nick.